• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Aredin would walk with Darian and Kuridin over to the tower, showing his brother to a guest room before heading down to the general conference room. "Ah yes, Ram, can you send some guards to go let the other Solars know we are ready to meet? I've got good news for them. Soon I will announce it to the town, but they should be here in person before that."

"Have you all forgotten something? Lookshy and the Scavenger Lands were able to resist the Scarlet Empress in the past, without the help of Solars, and before the Scarlet Empire weakened itself through its infighting. They can do so again." Annika said to her thieves emphatically, while everyone was gathered inside the bar of her headquarters. Morale had dropped quite a bit once everyone learned that the Scarlet Empress had returned, and Annika was trying to get it back up.

"That doesn't mean that Gwynnin itself won't fall." said one of the thieves near the front of the room.

"Aredin would end things with Darian and marry one of the Fair Folk before he let anything happen to his people and domain." replied Annika. "And if this town and Rathess both fall...we're thieves. We can head somewhere else, and start over. But that's only a last resort."

The discussion would then be interrupted by the arrival of one of the guards bearing a message for Annika. The Night caste took it, read it, and thanked the guard before turning back to her people. "Aredin wants all of the Solars to meet with him. Presumably we're all going to figure out what to do about the Scarlet Empress."

"I'm going to head over there now. You lot, keep your chins up while I'm gone, okay? We will make it through this."

With that, she left.

Heaven nods to Sirocco. "Of course, Sev. Just a moment..." He replies, closing his eyes as he reaches out with his essence and calls for Moroeth's aid in the matter.

When Heaven calls out for Moroeth, it takes a few moments for the elemental spirit to appear. The roughly humanoid figure offers up a bow to you. "I have heard your call, Prince of the Earth, and I come. The elemental courts are all a buzz over the reappearance of the Empress. If I were to be placing bets, I would have to say that you are concerned about this. Tell me, what do you wish of me this day?"

Sirocco bows slightly at Moroeth "It was at my request that my love" and she places a hand around Heaven "has called you. I ask, if you agree, to send a message to two Lunars. I wish them to call a meeting of the Silver Pact." And then she swallows before continuing "The two Lunars are Ma-Ha-Suchi, and Raksi."

The elemental looks at you for a moment, then nods. "I know of those two, but have never met either one. I do, however, know where their domains are, and can contact them. Ma-Ha-Suchi is not too difficult to deal with, but Raksi, she is . . . mad. Twisted by the Wyld. I can send your message, but be warned that anything dealing with Raksi is dangerous."

Sirocco bows again "I know the reputation of Raksi, but with the Empress' return, we may need that madness." And on a whisper she adds "And may the Sun and Moon save us from this dark path."

The elemental nods. "Very well. You have asked me to do this, and so I shall. It will take me a short amount of time to travel to each and deliver this message. When done, shall I return with their response?"

Once the elemental has its answer, it vanishes off in a flash of Essence.

A short time later, the various Exalts in Gwynnin have all gathered in the main hall of the King's Tower. The level of tension is strong enough that even Darian could see it with her old eyes. During the time it takes for the various messengers to send word to the others, Dunbar is busy with his little Pattern Spider, sending it out on various fact-finding missions in between times he is writing messages to send to various others of the Gold Faction.

He turns to the assembled Exalts and says, "I have gotten word that the city of Thorns is truly gone, wiped away by a terrible blow from the Sword of Creation. I can only imagine the loss of life involved in this attack. It is also been confirmed by others of the Sidereals that the Blessed Isle has suffered terrible damage to the countryside, causing major earthquakes, flooding, and serious harm to the geomancy of the Isle. I suspect that it will take some time before the Sword will be useable on such a scale again, giving us all time to plan our response."

The young Abyssal, Voice That Whispers From the Heart of Darkness, looks uncomfortable. It is no secret that she does not like addressing crowds, but something in her is pushing her to the forefront. "There is . . . something . . . that may be of interest. Before I left the service of my old Master, I heard him giving orders to another pair of Deathknights. Our Master was telling them to search for some powerful source of Essence drain in the East. He suspected that there was a . . . Artifact . . . of some sort, causing the energies of the area to be lower than they should be. Walker In Darkness seemed to believe that he knew what it was, and ordered the two out to begin their investigation. I can show you on a map where it is that they were told to go look."

Annika nodded at Dunbar's report, and then listened as Voice talked about an Essence draining artifact her master had been searching for before she left him.

"There might be some worth in finding that artifact." she admitted. "I have a feeling that we could use all the help we can get right now."

She then looked over at Dunbar. "Do you know anything about the political situation on the Blessed Isle? Presumably the Scarlet Empress will be cleaning house there, given how much things have changed since she disappeared."

Earlier as Exalts started filing into the meeting room, the king maintained an overwhelmingly jovial demeanor despite recent worries. Once everyone was assembled. "Everyone I have news for all of you. Not good news... this is the best news." At that he'd signal Kuridin to enter the room, still looking nearly identical after 13 or so years apart. "My brother whom I thought long dead has returned to us as a chosen of the Night. He's a bounty hunter specializing in demons by trade. I think you'll all agree that another capable sword arm in such trying times is most welcome."

After Voice and Dunbar outlined their intelligence, Aredin would have a map board carted forward for Whisper to map out what she knew of Walker's activity. "I think we'll need to be mindful of the fact that we're about a year behind the Deathlord on this one. Let's start by finalizing alliances with our Lunar neighbors. I'm going to go meet with them in person. I'd like for at least Rogosh and Sirocco to be present, but given circumstances, I understand if other business is pressing." Aredin said as he tried to be courteous of Sirocco's pregnancy. "Suffice to say, anyone that would like to join us is more than welcome, but I would like to move quickly. As in, I plan to head to Ma-Ha-Suchi's manse tonight after we address the people or in the morning if we feel more preparation is warranted. As for Tepet Ejava, she's too small a problem to worry about unless they move to attack. In which case we will have to destroy or convert them in a more aggressive display of power. Again though, I'd prefer to ignore her for want of resources to put against bigger problems."

OOC Rollcall: Psychie Psychie MasterDAF MasterDAF jaydude jaydude Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws Kalin Scarlet Kalin Scarlet D. Rex D. Rex Neopilot Neopilot

Sirocco pats her small belly and says "Aredin, this doesn't impede me in the least, though it's been over 6 months, and it's not showing much. Am really not sure how long it will take, as we humans carry for 9 months, but am told it looks like it will take longer, though am not sure whether that is because we're Exalts, or because of some other supernatural effect. But while I would love to meet Ma-Ha-Suchi alongside you, I would like to point out, that due to the Scarlet Empress' sudden return, I have already sent word, thanks to the help of Heaven" and she caresses his hand. and flashes a smile at him "To both Ma-Ha-Suchi, and to Raksi, to request a gathering of all, or most, Lunars, as this matter concerns us all."

She holds herself, but after a second's thought she continues "As far as Tepet Ejava is concerned, while she's a much lesser problem than the Empress, it doesn't mean that we can ignore her. Every Legion left standing for the Realm, is a Legion we'll have be forced to face if she ever throws them at us, and if she does, they will come ready for battle. Better to get rid of it before it becomes part of a bigger problem. Even if it means just taking out its leadership, and possibly, it's warstriders."

Aredin nodded. "Long-term no I don't plan to ignore their forces. For the short-term? I think we have to, if only to get our own power organized and ready. We need to get allies on board to come up with a plan against the Sword of Creation before we worry about a single legion. We'll keep eyes on their movements, but unless things have changed, her march to Paragon will take nearly a season. You don't haul that many people and cargo overland in anything short of a massive span of time. Even assuming she makes port at harbor-head or travels by river, we have plenty of time to make a couple of rapid diplomatic trips. If she does travel by the river, she passes close enough for us to spring our ambush and annihilate the unit."

With a shared glance to Ragnar, Kuridin, and Annika, Aredin finished. "We have more than enough manpower to bring to bare against Ejava as we stand. I have a few different strategies for eliminating the unit in transit if we must. Really the only challenge would be assimilating them to our cause. That seems highly unlikely at this point. So for now, let's prioritize the highest threat, the Sword of Creation."

"Dunbar said that it would likely be a while before the Sword of Creation could be used again." said Annika. "Which gives us time to prepare."

She then gave a shrug of her shoulders. "All I really know about the Imperial Manse is that according to history, the Scarlet Empress used it to single-handedly stop the Balorian Crusade. I wouldn't know where to begin with regards to preventing it from being used, outside of killing the empress. Perhaps if we went to the Blessed Isle, we could figure out a way to destroy or disable the Sword of Creation, but I'd rather not do such a thing. If the Fair Folk decide to launch a second Balorian Crusade, we may well need it to repel them."

Darian looks at the usually quiet Abyssal with curiosity. "Can you provide any information on what this item might be, or did you not hear enough to get a true read of what it is? If there is something that a Deathlord wants, and it is powerful enough to drain the Essence from a whole region, it may be of interest to us."

Voice shakes her head. "I do know that the two were going to use an airship to get where they were going. It was right about here," she points on the map to Mount Metagalapa. "I had always thought that it was something in the Wyld that made the mountain fly, but I guess it might be this Artifact that Walker in Darkness is seeking."

Rogosh looks puzzled. "I am not aware of any flying mountains in Creation from the days that I was out and about. What is this?"

Dunbar leans over and looks at the map where the Deathknight was pointing. "That is a oddity in Creation. Back during the Balloran Crusade when the Fae ravaged the land, much of Creation was lost to the Wyld. It was generally assumed that this mountain took to the air because of the effects of the Wyld upon it, but there is a possibility that it was an Artifact used by one of the Legions that were trapped on the slope of the mountain in their fight against the Fae. It would have to be quite powerful to lift the mountain, after all, it is miles across and just as high."

Darian looks at Aredin and says, "Well, if it is powerful enough to lift a mountain, it may be of interest to us. Plus, we have airships aplenty to get to the people living on the slope, and see what they have to say."

Aredin grins, "I'm just excited to see what's there. It's been awhile since we had a good adventure. Still, we need to follow through on the feelers we've sent out first. We're competing against a Deathlord for this artifact. We shouldn't pull any punches now. Let's make our move and take back the East for the Sun, for our friends, and for all those still suffering in this age of shadows."

Ragnar, seated, took his time in filling his pipe while new information was being brought up. "I side with Annika, we should avoid the destruction if the Sword of Creation if at all possible. Not that it would be an easy task, if it was our goal. Wresting control of it for ourselves would be the best case scenario, but holding such monument would prove a task that is likely beyond our current capabilities. As the Scarlet Empire would no doubt fight tooth and nail to get it back. Perhaps If there was a way to separate the manses, we could render it largely inoperable. Sever a connection, so to speak. In the case of a Fae uprising, it would be likely reversible." Ragnar chuckled, "Though my knowledge on such matters is too limited to be useful."

"As for this mountain... I am indeed very curious what would have them so interested in finding it. I'd wager they know something about it that we do not. However, unless it can help us directly, such a venture could be taking away what limited time we have in stopping the Sword of creation. Are there any records that might detail what sort of artifact it might be? Or mention of something that can lift a mountain?"

Ragnar paused, ceasing his prior train of thought as a new thought came to the surface. "I have a novel idea." He said. "Why dont we bury it? The Sword of Creation. I say we drop a mountain on it, if said mountain proves no other use. It probably will not destroy the Imperial Manse, but it will certainly halt its utility for a while. And if this artifact is responsible for draining a region's essence, it could also keep the Sword from powering up again until it is fully removed."

Sirocco considers it all "Do we have any idea what has happened to the Legion that was on it? What are, if any, their ties to the Realm." And then she smiles "And maybe their descendants are the reason the Deathknights have been stymied."

Ragnar paused, ceasing his prior train of thought as a new thought came to the surface. "I have a novel idea." He said. "Why dont we bury it? The Sword of Creation. I say we drop a mountain on it, if said mountain proves no other use. It probably will not destroy the Imperial Manse, but it will certainly halt its utility for a while. And if this artifact is responsible for draining a region's essence, it could also keep the Sword from powering up again until it is fully removed."

"Clogging up a geomantic flow of that magnitude would have cataclysmic consequences." Aredin said. "We'd have to seize it or somehow cutoff the target from the sword's range."

Sirocco considers it all "Do we have any idea what has happened to the Legion that was on it? What are, if any, their ties to the Realm." And then she smiles "And maybe their descendants are the reason the Deathknights have been stymied."
"Well, if that necromancer was anything to go by, sounds like a combination of solid resistance and lack of muscle," Aredin added with a chuckle. "I don't think we want to take massive detours but if there is a simple method of gathering more information about this place, it could be worth the effort."

Annika just shrugged in response to Aredin's words about geomantic flow; it was a subject she knew almost nothing about. She was more concerned about how exactly they were supposed to smuggle a whole mountain to somewhere above the Imperial Manse without every Legion and Dynast noticing, but since Aredin had already dismissed the idea, she didn't feel the need to speak up about that subject.

She cleared her throat. "I'm content to help recover this artifact Voice mentioned. But at the same time, I think we should also start monitoring the situation on the Blessed Isle much more closely, now that the Scarlet Empress has returned."

To Aredin's words of gathering more information, Sirocco shrugs "I can see three approaches to gather info on the place. We can ask people in it's proximity. We can talk to the people living there. Or we can go incognito and observe them." And then she smiles "or we can do all three."

Hearing Annika, Sirocco nods "Definitely we will need to keep our ears regarding the Realm. But there is something else to consider as well. We, Lunars, have an informal network, called the Silver Pact. Where we can ask for help, teachings, and exchange ideas, and such. And as i mentioned, I have sent messages to them, to ask for a gathering, to discuss the return of the Empress. But perhas it is time, that you, Solars, will reach out to others, and form a Gold Compact, or some such."

Darian smiles. Then, she says, "In a very real sense, we have already begun to do so. Word of our small holding has spread enough to draw the attention of Ragnar, and I am sure that there are other Exalts, not just Solars, that will wish to be a part of it." She looks over at Dunbar and says, "What do you know of the people on Mount Metagalapa? Checking with them first might be the best way to go about this."

Dunbar scratches at his chin, then says, "Well, there are some three to four thousand people on the mountain as permanent residents, and there is a bit of trade going on between these people and the Guild. The people there do have a means of getting down on occasion, using giant hawks that they have trained as mounts. They occasionally raid the surrounding towns for trade goods and things that they lack on the mountain, but other than that, the people up there have made a good living digging into the earth to make farmland for them to survive. After having lived there for nearly nine hundred years, I doubt that they have any love for the Realm, especially since they were trapped up there long before the woman that would become Empress declared herself in charge of the Blessed Isle."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back