• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Point me in the direction of the temple. It seems my arrival here may have been just in time to get me caught up in much more than I anticipated." He said softly as he gave the girl's arm a reassuring squeeze "I tend to have a knack for dealing with powerful beings who've decided to act foolishly."

By the time Kuridin had made his way over to the temple, Annika would be back at her headquarters, helping to get everything cleared up, and trying to figure out how best to deal with the Scarlet Empress.

Heaven clutches the coin in his hand until his knuckles turn white, watching the devastation of Thorns in shock. He turns to the others, worry clear in his eyes even as he tries to put on a confident smile. "And the stakes of this game we play rise ever higher...No matter, we will handle this with style and grace, same as any other problem. Darian, Aredin, Ragnar, I'll gather what information I have about the empress' new toy, and we'll speak later. Let's go, Sirocco," He concludes, offering his arm to her.

Last edited:
Taking back her human form, Sirocco takes Heaven's arm eagerly. Once they are out of earshot she asks "Love, what manner of weapon or Sorcery is it that can wipe a city from the face of Creation in an instant? Do we have a way to counter it? because if we do not, what stops her from destroying every single stronghold of her enemies?"

Sirocco is no stranger to battle, but this, this is not a battle she is even aware how to respond in, and how to defend against.

"I..." Heaven struggled to reply, his falsely confident grin falling away as the two were alone once again. The young sorcerer wracked his brain, thinking hard on any spell he might have learned of in passing that would be capable of such thorough destruction.

While he knew of spells in existence that could blight lands for eternity or turn even the greatest tributes to mortal ingenuity into nothing, what Heaven had just experienced was... Something that laid out of his immediate ability to emulate. "I don't know for sure what that was. But I'm going to find out. And we're going to stop it."

Last edited:
Darian places a calming hand on his shoulder. "Don't fret, my love. I am sure that the events have gotten all the Sidereals in a tizzy right now, so they are probably going to be quite busy right now as they figure out what to do. We will see them again, soon enough."

Aredin smiles, putting aside the moment's worries. "Well, at least there is a bright side to this little development... There's a whole slew of rather stubborn goats that I think will be a lot more open to gaining allies in the days to come."

Sirocco looks at Heaven. "I am sure we are all gonna work together on this. And on giving our daughter, and everyone else, a better world to live in. But with this, I think it is time I, and our fellow Lunars, need to call a meeting of my kin to discuss this development."

Ragnar had remained oddly silent as the events unfolded. Reading over the dossier and thinking to himself. "I agree with Aredin, if any there was a time where hearts hold resentment to the Scarlet Empress, it is now. Her curse was our blessing, as she did not strike us for whatever reason. Either there is a limitation upon this power, or she does not take us seriously. As what better example would it have been to eradicate a nation that so vehemently goes against her heinous blasphemy than us?"

Ragnar set down the dossier of this military genius. "I'd reconsider the value of this Ejava. I would go as far to say that her recent mobility is related to this event. She will be a point of friction with the Empress as it stands, as the Empress doesn't have direct control of her forces despite Ejavas loyalty to her cause. She would be a likely candidate to turn against the Empress in our favor, and I would say that she already sees the tactical errors already made. That the Empress has likely just overplayed her hand."

"Heaven, should you wish to travel to find the source of this devastation. I am willing to travel with you. Knowing whether this is her own power or a weapon of the first age is paramount. We won't be able to form a counter without knowing that. And if it is the latter, perhaps we can destroy it before it is used again. Perhaps we can get to Ejava before she reaches the capital, and convince her to us. I may not have the skill of our Darian, but I do know how to speak the language of war that I know she will thoroughly understand. If we can convince her, she would be a good aid in finding out the truth of this power given her position and reputation, and her contacts would go a long way in letting us know the Empires next target."

"Though perhaps, before we meet tonight, it would be wise to address our own city. I can imagine our own people to be quite shaken. We need to reassure them that the fate of Thorns won't befall Gwynnin."

As you are talking, a rather frazzled looking Dunbar comes walking up. "I can tell you the source of that . . . weapon. It is the Sword of Creation, the most powerful weapon ever made. It is a series of interlocking war manses on the Blessed Isle that feeds power into the Sword. It is located in the Imperial City, and it has been used by the Empress before. Do you recall you history lessons about the Great Contagion and the following Fae Invasion, roughly seven hundred years ago? The woman that would become Empress and three of her comrades managed to break into the Imperial Manse and navigate the various wards and traps to get to the center where the Sword of Creation has its controls. She then used the Sword to raze the Fae, blasting them back to the Wyld where they belong."

He looks unsettled, then says, "But from what I have learned in my studies, she should not have been able to do . . . what she just did. The Sword was built to be used by a Perfect Circle of Solars, working in tandem to target the Sword. The last time that the Sword was used, it caused massive geomantic damage to the Blessed Isle, making it almost as hazardous to use from its feedback as it is against your target. I would place my bet on the fact that it will take some time to recalibrate the Sword after this devastation done to Thorns."

At the same time, Kuridin turns the corner and is able to see standing in front of the Temple of the Sun, there is a regal group of men and women standing in a circle, having a heated discussion, probably about the disaster that just hit the city of Thorns. While that wouldn't normally be anything to take notice of, there is a well-dressed man standing in this circle that is a mirror image of yourself! It is a bit unnerving to see. At this point, it does not appear that they have noticed you.

"No. There was little schooling where I came from." Ragnar admitted.

"But this news does give us a window of opportunity to act. And I suppose the question now becomes how she got it to work. If she has a circle of Solars under her control somehow, or if she found a way to bypass it."

"Dunbar, you spoke of this weapon bringing calamity to the blessed isles if used. Which it had been used. Would not then using it twice before the land can recover be almost guaranteed to destroy it all? That is, if the blowback of the weapon did actually damage the islands this time.... perhaps this weapon should be our target, though I expect it would have the might of the Empress protecting it from just such an idea."

Darian frowns. "I have seen just how powerful we are as Solar Exalted, in direct conflict with Dragon Blooded. I would find it hard to believe that the Empress has a Circle of Solars on a leash to run this weapon for her. It makes more sense to me that the controls in the Sword's control room have been bypassed somehow. That might explain the feedback damage done to the Blessed Isle."

"I am thinking that any effort on our part to infiltrate the Imperial City, even with our whole group of Exalted, would be a difficult feat at the best of times. We may have to find some other option."

Aredin looks to Ragnar and tried to explain the breadth of the tactical situation. "There are several higher priority targets before us, I'll wager. The Bull of the North is certainly a higher mark on her list than we are for the time being, I'd assume. Not to mention multiple other massive Shadowlands that still dot creation, should she so chose to continue her cleanup patrol. I say let's be grateful we have lost a very powerful enemy in exchange for a lesser enemy with a mighty weapon. For now, it is our duty to ensure our people are looked after and that they know we will do everything we can to protect them." Aredin takes Darian by the hand. "So let us do that and then we will discuss our strategy in the conference room, not out here."

Ragnar nodded at Aredin, "Let us hope that is the case, my King." He said.

"I shall see to it that the armies will be at the ready." Ragnar said. He was hoping that a few brave faces and a confident military would assist in helping the people of the city feel secure. With that, Ragnar gave a small bow and dismissed himself.

He would go to allieavete any disheartening in his soldiers, as well as double patrols and sending extra soldiers to the guard. Furthermore, Ragnar wanted to make sure that extra supplies were to be stockpiled and Inventory was up to date. If the worst was to befall the city (save for the sword of creation), Ragnar wanted to make sure a siege could be weathered through.

Ragnar would meet with the others when the time of the meeting came.

Kuridin stood there in near awe for several beats of his own heart that felt like days, weeks even. From what he could see this man had to be whom he thought long dead, his twin brother. He set off towards the man at a hurried pace, taking care not to harm anyone in his path but to gently move them aside. He made his way up the very busy street, he came to what he felt was at the very least earshot of the man and he shouted "Aredin!" as he did so he pushed past the last obstructing bystanders into a clear section of the street pointing at this king, who at this point he surely hopes is in fact his twin.

Aredin turns at the sound of an aged but familiar voice. His eyes locked on the mirror image of himself in the street, yet it wasn't a mirror. The part of his hair wasn't flipped. His heart wrenched beneath his chest in agony of what was lost, what he had believed he lost for the last decade and a half. Anything in his hands would fall to the ground from shock. His legs shook and arms quivered, not sure if he should be excited that an age-old dream could be a reality or enraged at the cruel torment playing out before him. "You... there's no way... This had better not be some sort of sick joke. I am Aredin Lentier, King of the Earth. If you are who I think you are, tell me your name that I would know that this is not some demented prank."

"I am Kuridin Lentier! The bane of any entity of darkness who has the misfortune to cross my path! If you truly are who you claim to be, then tell me what we found beneath the gate to the docks when we were but 5 years!" He shouted one arm outstretched pointing at Aredin, his other concealed under his own cloak.

Aredin grinned and flicked his wrist to release a weapon he had always kept on his person. It slid from an interior pocket in his sleeve and deposited a still sharp steel combat knife. He held it aloft. "It was knives, combat knives to be specific."

His hard stare broke and tears began to well in his eyes and Kuridin drew his own identical combat knife from a sheath hidden behind his belt; "Brother!" his voice rang with joy, "You're not just alive, but you're VERY well!" He moved towards his brother at a brisk but increasing pace.

Darian turns to look at the man approaching them, and feels more than a bit of surprise. This man is a mirror image of my Aredin! How can this be? Is this a trick of the Fae? Reaching into a pocket, she pulls out one of her silk fans and begins to cool herself with it. "Aredin, my love! Please tell me that you have an explanation for how this man looks and sounds so much like you! Is this some sort of trick? Is he a threat to us?"

Aredin seemed satisfied with verifying Kuridin's identity. He hadn't spoken the name out loud enough for it to be common knowledge. There was the matter of the knives, but if it were a Fae, perhaps it'd be possible to fake on the fly. Still, Aredin was willing to push that concern aside for the moment, and merely set his discerning gaze upon the man, looking for signs of trickery.

"I didn't think it was possible anymore, but this man is my twin brother. The one I thought long dead. Even with all that has happened today, this is cause for celebration."

"I saw him taken long ago by some sort of accursed being from the depths after they eviscerated our parents in front of us," Kuridin said as he reached the group now within arms reach of Aredin keeping his gaze, "I heard the screams and commotion after they discovered him and drug him from the room and feared the worst."

Darian is still somewhat unsure, but if Aredin is convinced, she will give this stranger the benefit of the doubt. Lowering her silk fan, she gives Kuridin a smile. "You never told me that you had a brother, especially a long lost twin! This is indeed a moment of celebration for your reunion!" She gives Kuridin a deep curtsy, then rises up and gives her brother-in-law a hug. "Welcome to Gwynnin! I suppose we should introduce ourselves. I am Darian Lambert, wife to your brother, High Priestess to the Unconquered Sun and Solar Exalt. Please, let us take this happy moment to the King's Tower where we can discuss matters without being overheard."

Aredin seemed very confused, "I wasn't dragged out... I... I could have sworn you were... What... why..." he stammered then eventually came to realize what must have happened. "Right... they were fae. That must have been a trick to lure us out. Blighted bastards... All this time that night haunted me and it was a lie!" Aredin stopped releasing a clenched fist. "I guess there's no fixing that. As you can see, I Exalted and became the King here. I am a Solar of the Eclipse caste, former Merchant Prince, and now an ingrate thrashing warrior myself. I would like to hear of you and your adventure to get all the way here, but as Darian said, let's go home first."

Kuridin was unsure of how to feel about his embrace with Darian as it had been all too long that he felt real contact with anyone whom he could even remote trust, let alone consider family. He smiled and bowed to her in return and then looked back to his brother "The Fae have far too many tricks to play, I've learned quite well how to see through them. It seems we were destined to be reunited here and now for I, too, have Exalted as a Solar of the Night caste. I have made it my life's mission to eradicate as much darkness from Creation as I can with however means I hold."
His gaze dropped toward the ground then he chuckled, "Home, been far too long since I've had a place to call home..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back