• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Aysik rubs his chin, deep in thought. "I believe that I saw a note in the records that indicate the last known location of the Solar that you were asking about is somewhere in the East, not too far from here. In order for me to be more specific I would have to go to Yu-Shan and delve into the Loom. But it can be done. Just remember Rogosh, that you will not be meeting the same person you once knew. The new incarnation of your Bond Mate will be a very different person."

The old Lunar nods. "I understand. This is the first time for me to be the elder of the two, something that I'll have to get used to if I ever do manage to find the current host of my friend's Shard. I will have to spend some time acquiring some armor and weapons if I am going to be able to survive in this fallen Age, with all of these forces aligned against us."

Aredin paused in thought for a moment, then bonks his forehead as if he should have instantly arrived at this conclusion. He'd turn to his wife for a moment as he put a disclaimer on the upcoming offer. "This was a hard-won weapon, so as long as my wife and friends here are ok with it..." Aredin produced the Orichalcum Grand Daiklave that Filial Wisdom once wielded and held it forward laying flat in his arms. "I'd like to lend you this until we can find something more suitable to your tastes. That is assuming this weapon would even be a decent fit for you."

Darian nods slightly to show that she has no objections to Aredin offering up the blade of the fallen Goblin King. "One place we can also look for gear for you is in the cache of Leeayta. She was able to provide many artifact weapons for the Dragon Kings to use in the battle to take the city; it is possible that she would have some Moonsilver weapons in her storehouse that we can try to convince her to release to you."

"Tell me, what are your plans for the future? Are you willing to stay here with us and join our cause, or are you going to break off and go on your own?"

Rogosh looks over at Darian and shrugs. "I really don't know. I have not had enough time to process what has happened to me to be able to make any kind of coherent plans for the future." As he speaks, he reaches out and accepts the massive blade with a grunt of effort. After all, the blade is quite heavy without attuning himself to it.

Aredin heaves over the unwieldy mass of orichalcum to Rogosh in order for him to begin attuning. "Well, I understand if you decide to leave, but I do want to remind you... The Dragon-Blooded claiming rulership of this world have been convinced that we..." Aredin makes a circular gesture for emphasis, "Solars and Lunars, are evil demons. Anathema for short. Should you leave our company, be mindful about how you interact with other people. The whole reason I bothered to start bringing people back together is that I didn't want to live out my life constantly being pestered by zealous idiots dining on the lies of self-important bureaucrats from another realm. No offense Aysik." Aredin pauses for a moment then grins, suppressing a chuckle. "Ham-handed words aside... I hope you'll stick around for a while longer. Extra friends are always welcome."

Darian laughs at her husband's words. "Yes, indeed. There is a measure of safety in numbers, and considering the sheer number of Dragon Blooded in the Realm that want our heads on a pike, not to mention the members of Aysik's opposing faction, we can still be easily overwhelmed."

Rogosh looks lost in thought as he sets the Daiklave down point first into the ground, with one hand idly toying with the necklace that he took off of the body of the Solar in the tomb. "Yes, safety in numbers. I will think on this, but first, can I get some food? I have not eaten in, what? Two thousand years? I'm famished!"

Things have been so chaotic the last few days Aredin found himself a bit disoriented at the thought of where to go. "Well, we don't quite have the level of culinary excellence here that we had back home yet. However, I'm sure we can get a suitable meal prepared." Taking a jade coin from a pocket, the new King of Rathess flipped it high into the air and struck it with his blade as the glittering disk crossed paths with the sun's light. The coin disintegrated into prayer essence with his call. "Leeayta, Relza, and Shining Flower. It's past time we gathered back together to eat. Help us to gather the others together back at the nest for a feast. We have a new, very hungry guest." Assuming the sacrifice would draw their notice, Aredin began to walk down the steps. "I'm sure the troops know the local prey better than we do. All else fails, I have some well-seasoned travel provisions to help ease the void of hunger."

D. Rex D. Rex

Ragnar and his bunch of refugees are on the run. Of your initial group of followers, only one hundred and fifty remain. There would be fewer still if it were not for your skillful leadership in keeping everyone focused on getting to safety from the Wyld Hunt. Thanks to your great powers as a Solar and the nasty traps you have laid out, several of the Realm's Dragon Blooded have already fallen before you, giving the others in pursuit of you some pause to gather up reinforcements to be sure of taking you out once and for all.

But there is still hope. Rumors have come to you of a town in the east that has a new set of rulers, a lord and lady that, according to the tales you've heard, are also Solar Exalted! So you have set out for this town of Gwynnin in hopes of finding safe refuge for your people. The old saying that there is safety in numbers applies to Solar Exalted too, and if they combine forces with you, the foolish Dragon Bloods that hound your heels will have a very nasty surprise waiting for them!

At the rate you have been traveling, you are only a few days away from Gwynnin.

For the rest of the Circle, you are all gathered in the Flying Tower where the Dragon Kings have made their nests in. After having some food, everyone is currently relaxing and asking Rogosh various questions about the First Age when a Infallible Messenger sprite flies into the room and hovers in front of Aredin. In the voice of one of the Dragon Bloods back in Gwynnin, you hear, "M'Lord Aredin and Lady Darian, I hope you are well when you receive this message. I have need to report to you that our scouts have reported a large band of what appear to be refugees on their way to the town, and they appear to be followed by a sizable contingent of troops from the Scarlet Empire. At the rate the refugees are traveling, they will be at the gates in two days, with the soldiers and Exalts from the Realm right on their heels. If the first group is truly on the run from the Realm and are in need, I am loathe to lock the gates to them, but there is the chance that they are a decoy group. I am hoping you will be able to return to Gwynnin before the two groups arrive."

Darian raises up an eyebrow. "Hmm. A large band of refugees, followed by Realm troops? Not quite the news I was hoping from home. Obviously, any encounter with the Realm raises issues. Depending on the numbers of soldiers and their orders, we may be required to support our small armed force with our own powers." She pauses for a moment, then says, "So long as the numbers of soldiers are low, I can help by making their memories of Gwynnin change to match what they expect of a small town out in the fringes. But what worries me is the fact that they are there at all. What would bring Realm troops so far inland? Are they there looking for us?"

A bare chested man pushed his way through a crowd of people trying to catch their breath and cool off in the shade. As much of a hurry this man was in, he was at least courteous enough not to knock the coveted water skins being passed around from their hands.

The man was nobody special, one of the warriors from one of the humble northland tribes. Despite this, he had become one of Ragnars trusred allies. His clothes stripped down to the barest yet sweat still glistened his skin.

He stopped when he found who he was looking for. Giant of a man that stood well over a foot taller than those around. Certainly made him easy to find.

"Ragnar! Why are we stopping? Should we not be pushing our luck while we can? Surely they are already on us again. This could be our chance to gain some ground."

The man name Ragnar didnt so much as turn around, he was with a few others passing around a pipe. And he himself was staring down at the Atlas. "No, Cambrook." He said in a deep voice. "If we push any farther any faster, all the ground we gained will be for nothing."

He continued,"Yes, while the traps stalled them, it has also given them time to rest while they regrouped. When they start again, they will be able to push toward us at a hardy pace. The only thing that will keep them from moving faster is that they will be anticipating more traps and be actively looking for them. If they are smart."

Ragnar stowed the Atlas away, "The reason we stopped is threefold. Firstly. Our group is not as tolerant of the heat as the locals. It is already taking its effect, those without a warriors stamina will fall prey to the heat and slow us down. Or worse, be taken by heat sickness. We will leave in two hours. This will give them time to drink, and gain some shade. We will be able to move faster once the sun begins to set. The cool air of night will ease the strain of a more brisk pace."

Ragnar did not mind explaining his ways, and Cambrook was expected to relay this information down the line anyway. "Secondly. We have groups planting some traps in the area, moreso than what we have been doing while traveling. They will spotted if they are scrutinizing their path as I suspect. But this is less about fatalities as it is about reminding them of why they should take it slow. And if they do get cocky, then there are plenty for them to fall into again. As well, we have some children fashioning some simple torches for us while they wait. It will keep them occupied and in good spirits, and their contribution will be what helps us get through the night without accidents. Worst case scenario, we can use the torches the burn the forest down behind us. But this isn't our land, I would rather it not come to that."

"Lastly, we need to discuss a plan. Because there is no guarantee that this city will accept us. After all, we are leading dragon blooded right to them." he said, pausing as the pipe was passed to him. He took a few puffs before passing it to Cambrook. "Tomorrow I will send Jembei ahead with our fastest horse, and she will give them a message from me asking for refuge and what my plans will be if they choose to help."

"The plan is as thus, by the time we reach the city the Blooded will no doubt be very close. When we reach the gate, we wait. Upon seeing the Blooded, we rout. Half to each side of the city trying to flee around the walls since it appears we wont be given entry. The Blooded will most likely try to break us against the walls, and split to take advantage of this panicked maneuver. I will remain at the gate to get their attention. So the strongest of them wont be going after the people, so worse case scenario, you all have a chance of escaping and being ignored."

Cambrook puffed nervously, this didnt sound like a very good plan.

"If things go as plan, this will turn into a feint. With the gates largely cleared, even just a small force and couple solar's would be able to destroy a dragon blooded force out of formation. With the dragon blooded forces split, they are effectively routed. Wherein a signal horn will be sounded, our fleeing will turn and press the blooded. They will now be trapped between us and the cities forces. Not a lot has to be right for this to succeed. Simply the assistance of the city. But should that fail, and the horn doesn't sound, then you all do not stop running."

Jembei, while okay with the plan, was still a bit apprehensive. "And what if the city turns us over to them and reveals your plans to blooded?" She asked.

"We will have a few spotters placed to warn us if the blooded are trying to flank or block our escape. This part we will not reveal to the city. Any extra time we have while waiting at the gate will be spent placing traps the direction we came. if they are spreading their forces to flank, then our best bet then would be to break through their weakened center and back the way we came, and hoping that in their hurry to end us, that they will not be as intimately familiar with the locations of our traps as we are. At the very least, should the city betray us and we get out by the skin of our teeth. Then we need to get the word out, that the city is not such a haven to solars as we have been lead to believe."

"Any questions?"

Last edited:
Annika considered what she had heard from both the cherub and Darian. "Perhaps they're after the refugees? If not, Gwynnin is a town that's openly ruled by Solars. The Realm and the Wyld Hunt already know about it, and if Mellar's reported his earlier failure, they'll know that they'll need to bring more troops and Dragon-bloods to deal with us."

She thought about Darian's plan. "That might work, assuming they don't have too many people that you'll need to...recalibrate. Though personally I'd like to find out why exactly they're here, whether or not they were sent here by someone else, and then adjust their memories accordingly to get the most out of it."

Sirocco regards Rogosh, unsure of how she should approach him. He obviously has knowledge that others may have forgotten, if they knew to begin with, but he wasn't a part of this world, so to speak. And so, for now, she kept her distance. But she kept glancing his way.

"Whoever the first group is, I think it's best if we make out way there, and ascertain things. I can easily get amongst these refugees, and learn more about them."

"If we're going to investigate the refugees from within, I can help with that as well." offered Annika after hearing the other woman's suggestion.

Darian nods. "Outstanding. The more eyes and ears we have in there, the better." Turning to Aredin, she says, "My love, I believe we are in need of your Globe of Transport to get us home."

Rykon Rykon

Aredin stands thoughtfully in silence for a few moments to work out a few of his thoughts and picture the scenario in as much detail as he can. "Just before we left we saw a massive surge of celestial occupants. There are dozens of 'Anathema' at home, any one of them could be a metaphorical compass for the Bronze Realm. My thought is that if the Realm forces were after us we would have heard significant concern about the numbers being brought to bare on our city. If we consider that the refugees are between the Realm and Gwynnin, I think they are a likely target." Once he had heard the discussion about trying to pacify the lot of Realm pursuers, he took Darian by both hands.

"We have a vast number of people we promised to protect from the Realm. The very same Realm that is marching on our doorstep. Those refugees won't forget what they may know of them easily, and I have to let our people know they can rely on us to stand firm against an army of attackers." Aredin trailed off for a moment then spoke with resolve. "Honey, I'm probably going to have to kill some of them... Alright, I'm probably going to have to kill a lot of them. If everyone here is ok with that possibility, I will need some people in place to prevent high profile escapes so that you can work your magic on them." When Aredin removed the Globe from his pocket, he paused and blinked. "Oh... right. Only 8 or so of us can fit in this thing, so we'll need to figure out who goes and who stays. I'm already set on going. I have to be there to defend our people."

Sirocco smiles. "It might be a slower option, but we do have a working air ship... And I'm sure the goddess would love to see it being made use of. Not to mention that it will be awe inspiring to those who see it."

Dunbar nods in agreement. "Yes, the Indomitable Conquest Platform that Viktor and Relza were able to get airborne can seat twelve, not including the ability of the Lunars to take on a smaller form to make more room. That would be more than enough space to hold everyone of the group that wants to go. We would just need the permission of Relza to take her property out of the airspace of Rathess to go to Gwynnin."

All eyes turn to her, and you can see that the thought of having one of her precious airships taken from her like this is a real struggle. A brief discussion between her and Leeayta takes place, with the Lizard Queen reassuring her fellow deity that with all the effort to clear the threats from Rathess, it is clear that the Circle will be back, so it should be fine to trust you.

Finally, she gives a slight nod. "I will allow it, for a short trip out of my airspace. Just swear that you will bring it back, in one piece and undamaged!"

Viktor flashed Relza a crooked grin and winked playfully. "Don't worry Relza. If it gets damaged at all, I'll fix it up so nice you'll never be able to spot the difference!"

Annika would clear her throat after Viktor was done speaking, and turn her attention to Rezla. "I take it the airship will be fast enough to get us back to Gwynnin before the refugees and the Realm troops arrive there?"

Darian says, "I would suppose that it should; if these supposed refugees are on foot, and they are a couple of days away, we should be able to easily get home long before they reach the gates. But, we will get nowhere sitting here talking about it."

Aredin nodded along as he started moving toward the platform's entrance. He turned his head to Annika after a moment of mental guesstimates. "Just running the numbers from what I've seen, it's about a fifth the speed without straining it, I think. This trip will be all day and all night. Hmm..." Aredin began counting heads. "Darian, Annika, Viktor, Heaven, Sirocco, Dunbar, Aysik, Voice, Rogosh, and myself... That's ten, assuming all of us exalts go. If we wanted to bring more hands that leaves two spots before splitting to the globe as well. So we could bring another ten back with a bit of tedium and discomfort." He shrugged. "Could be worse, I reckon."

Aysik shakes his head. "As much as I would love to go with you, I have to return to Yu-Shan for a meeting with the head of the Gold Faction. That will give you a bit more space. I will be in touch, of course. Be well, my friends." With that, he stands and goes around to all of you with a friendly handshake or quick embrace before tipping his hat and heading for the door.

With no other distractions, the Circle makes their way up the Flying Tower to the landing deck where the airship is waiting. Under Relza's watchful eye, you board the ship and take your seats, with Viktor once more at the controls in the pilot's seat. With everyone settled in, the ship is able to take off without any difficulty.

It is a long flight back to Gwynnin, taking a lot longer to get home in the slower ship than your trip out. But as the saying goes, slow and steady wins the race. Hard as it is to believe, it has only been just over a week since you left. Coming down in the open town square, you have quite a crowd of people there to witness your triumphant return.

When Aredin and Darian take their first steps out of the ship, a happy cheer goes up as the crowd presses close to see you better. For Darian, this is her first chance to actually see the city that you have been calling home, along with the people that are cheering your return.

Voice looks dour as she asks over the happy shouts, "Is it always so chipper here? Bleh!"

It feels good to be back home.

Word of the arrival of their Lord and Lady spreads like wildfire across the town, and soon most of the townsfolk are lining the street to catch a glimpse of you as everyone makes their way to the town hall.

"I think I know how you feel. Took me some time to get used to it as well." Annika said while smiling at Voice, recalling how things were for her before coming to Gwynnin. "But like it as not, we're heroes in this town, and this is considered ideal to us."

As they walked through the streets, Annika would catch up to Aredin and Darian and tap them both on the shoulder. "Will the two of you need me for...whatever it is we're doing now? Because I want to talk to my people and find out anything that's happened since we left, and bring them up to speed on what happened in Rathess."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back