• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Viktor nodded at Aredin's request, then turned to Annika. He shrugged when she finished. "I guess any information she can provide on artifacts of the Void would certainly be welcome. I don't know much about the special crafting arts of the Underworld, but I've heard rumors that they involve alloying souls to metal in undying permanence. True or not, extra knowledge can only empower us."

The Twilight crafter rubbed his chin, looking Voice over in contemplation as he gathered his thoughts. "Speaking of her parents, how do you want to go about retrieving her family? Unless I misunderstood, it sounds like Lord Aredin has put this operation in your hands. I know a thaumaturgical rite that would allow us to slip through the barrier between worlds and access the Underworld, and vice versa. So if you want, I can come along to provide assistance and support. Or if you'd rather travel lighter in numbers, I can attempt to teach it to you."

Aredin blinked, "Let's start with sending the warning and figuring out where decent a rendezvous point might be before we worry about that. Do we even know where they are presently or did I miss something in the debrief earlier?"

**Earlier**
Heaven sighs, looking away as she finishes speaking. "You're really terrible with supportive talk, aren't you?" Hesitantly, the young man looked her in the eyes once again next, reaching out to embrace her for a moment, before pulling back. "Fine. I will...try. Instead of self pity and doubt, I will do my best toprove my worth. To you, to the others, and most of all to myself."

"But in doing so, I also want to help you, Sev. You are more than just your strength, and if you ever seek to broaden your horizons, I could...well, you asked me about learning sorcery, didn't you?"
----
*Now*
Standing with the others, Heaven let out a sigh of relief he hadn't realized he'd been holding, as the Abyssal finally decided to join them. He couldn't help but laugh to himself, but he didn't really know what he'd found amusing. With that matter settled though, he decided he would focus on other matters. Like making good on his promise. He could always find an opportunity to talk to the Abyssal and her new boss, later. A picture of a romantic dinner table with him, Sirocco, and the other two exalted seated before it flashed through his head, nearly breaking his focus. Heaven smacked his cheeks softly. It seemed this was going to be harder than he thought it would be...

Darian smiles at the newest member of their growing coalition, and then gives her a friendly hug. "Welcome. I do hope that there will be many good memories between us. Now, lets put our awkward introduction behind us, and work to keep your family safe. Where exactly are your people located? Are there guards on them, or are they free to travel on their own?"

Annika directed her attention to Aredin and Darian. "She said her remaining family were living in the Shadowland around the fortress of Walker in Darkness." After saying this, she would also reiterate the directions that the Abyssal had given them, making sure everyone was up to speed.

Then she turned her attention to Viktor. "Why would I need a way of getting into the Underworld?" she asked, honestly confused.

As the shackles come off, your former prisoner rubs her wrists and looks about in stunned amazement that you actually freed her. It takes a few tries to get through to her as she stands there, trying to take it in. "What? Oh. Yes. My family. Once I get enough Essence back, I will call them with an Instant Messenger and tell them to make a run for it. We have made plans to help get them out if anything ever happened to me, with places to go to meet if it is possible. I just hope it will be in time."

She looks about, tears starting to run down her face. "I just don't know what to say to all of you, with you saving my life after all that I have done. Then this. You set me free, without knowing what harm I could do to you if I had planned to betray your trust. Thank you. Thank you so much."

Time passes.....

Three days go by with our Circle in the Flying Tower as you wait for Aysik and his fellows to arrive from Yu-Shan. The days go by quickly, with each of you spending time involved in your personal interests.

Viktor and Relza look over the few remaining airships on top of the Tower to see which ones might be useable in the near future.

Using her shapeshifting powers, Sirocco sneaks about the city, looking into various nooks and crannys to see what secrets lie in wait.

Darian is still marveling at the joys of her new eyesight, and is enjoying every new dawn and sunset for the beauty of the light.

Aredin is involved in talks with Leeayta, trying to secure promises of her guiding the newly Awakened Dragon Kings to follow your dream of a new Solar-led empire.

Annika spends her time with Voice in tow, watching the Abyssal with a keen eye for any signs of her causing trouble. As of now, she seems to be following not just the words of her oath, but the spirit it involved, too.

Heaven also spends time with Voice, trying to get more information about the Walker in Darkness and his plans.

When Aysik finally arrives, he sends a Infallible Messenger to announce that he is on the outskirts of the city with his companions. He is going to wait for nightfall before he flies up with the team to the top of the Flying Tower. No need to break the news to Filial Wisdom and Han-Tha that the hunt is about to begin.

Darian would spend some of her time with Leeayta, discussing the importance of the proper worship of the Unconquered Sun and how to begin incorporating the needed religious rituals to the young Dragon Kings. When not schmoozing with the goddess, she would be in meditation, reflecting on the important events that has happened in the past few days.

When word comes in that Aysik has arrived, she would go to find Aredin. "My love, I just heard that Aysik has finally gotten to the city. I would imagine that tomorrow is going to be a very eventful day."

Annika was pleased to see no signs of treachery from Voice, and in addition to trying to gather information about her former master alongside Heaven, she would try to get to know her personally, asking her about her family, her life before her Exaltation, and finally how she Exalted. Right from the start, she had known that Voice was a different breed of Exalt from the typical Solar, Sidereel or Dragon blooded.

During those next three days, she would also be seen practicing a new charm, one that, after she threw a knife, would cause dozens of duplicates of it to appear in the air and fly alongside the original. It would surely help her out in the coming battles.

She would be alerted to the news of Aysik's arrival by one of the Dragon Kings.

When Viktor was alerted to how near Aysik and his team were, the crafter was covered up to his elbows in magical reagents and lubrication fluids. "Here by tomorrow you say?" He moved to knock the grime and sweat from his face, wiping it with an equally dirty hand and smearing a dark stripe across his forehead. "I guess I'd better wrap up this work then, and begin getting myself looking presentable again."

He waved off the Dragon King messenger and moved back to his previous tinkering position underneath one of the derelict skyships. Working with Relza these past few days had been an enjoyable endeavor, and reminded him in some ways of his days in Lookshy's academy. Their studies were intense, but at the same time everything was new and exciting. Working on these hidden marvels of a bygone age rekindled the feeling of wonder, and each ship the Twilight caste laid a hand on revealed a freshly unique design.

Viktor sighed wistfully, tugging on a stubborn bolt as his thoughts danced about chaotically in his head. "I'm going to miss the unfettered access I've had here when it comes time to leave."

Sirocco had alternated between going out and watch the troops of the Goblin King, and learning more about Sorcery from Heaven. She also took some time to follow Voice around, and to talk to Annika. After all, being able to take on animal shapes can be useful to work as a spy.

Later on in the evening, Aysik and the two Sidereals with him fly in to the top of the Tower. He greets everyone warmly, and introduces his companions as Morrow Kaine and Kristoph Allen, two fellow members of the Gold Faction and good friends of Aysik. "My friends, it is a pleasure to see you again. Darian, my dear! Your eyes are a marvel! It is so wonderful that you have been given the ability to see. You can now enjoy the beauty of Creation like the rest of us. Now then! Let us discuss the matter at hand. You have found the criminal Han-Tha. Tell us everything you can about where he is and how you came about finding him."

Sirocco is standing to the side, she still doesn't fully trust these Sidereals, but is willing to go along with it, and give them a chance.

"It was I who found him. I was flying over the city, and saw our big and shining Solar who leads the troops in the city standing there, when I could suddenly see this spirit possessing him. When I returned I described it's appearance to our friends here, and I was told that it was Han-Tha." She didn't want to let them know it was a Charm that let her see things she cannot see, that let her do that. Some secrets are better kept than shared.

"We found about Han-Tha from her." Annika said to the Sidereals, while leaning against a wall with her arms crossed and pointing at Voice. "She mentioned that he was an ally of Filial Wisdom, the one Sirocco here just referred to as 'our big and shining Solar'. Sadly, we don't know where Han-Tha's sanctum is, but we do know that he usually stays close to Filial Wisdom, who's taken up residence in the Great Pyramid here in Rathess."

Aredin smiles warmly greeting Aysik to their gathering and nodding at Darian's remark. After his associates had debriefed their Celestial Sponsor, Aredin added. "It is as they say. We also made contact with the lions guarding the graves. They have agreed to support our efforts to apprehend Han-Tha. Given that you and your team are more versed in policing spirits than we are, how do you recommend we proceed?"

Aysik returns the warm greetings, then his focus turns to the matter at hand. "Normally, the spirit would be able to use one of its many Charms to escape us to its sanctum, but if Han-Tha tries that now, he will be in for a rude surprise. I was able to pull a few favors to have him listed as a Most Wanted Criminal, and his Hurry Home ability has been temporarily suspended by the Celestial Bureaucracy for us to serve a warrant on him. Even so, I fully expect a nasty fight on our hands when we confront and try to arrest Han-Tha. I seriously doubt that he will go quietly, especially when he's looking at a nice trial followed by execution upon conviction."

Morrow, a dark skinned bald man with a friendly smile, says, "We will use shock and awe to bring the criminal down. We have four members of the Fivescore Fellowship here. It will fall to us to deal with Han-Tha, if you can deal with this Solar that has associated himself with the dark god. If you can do that, it will make our jobs that much easier. Now, you have described a ally of the Solar, a dark Exalt that follows the Mask of Winters. Do you know if he will involve himself in this, or will he stand by as we hammer Han-Tha and this Solar?"

Viktor stood to the side, looking the accompanying Sidereals over as his compatriots filled Aysik in on the present situation. The crafter was excited to see these other exalts in action, and curious as to the arms and armor they would sport for the upcoming skirmishes against Han-Tha.

The plan seemed well thought out, and Morrow's voiced expectations for the role they would play sounded reasonable. The crafter continued to remain silent, studying the plan in his head for potential flaws and leaving the discussion to his fellows. After a moment however, a thought occured to Viktor that the feeling of potential strength he and Darian touched when they freed Voice could be information the Sidereal strike group might find useful.

The Twilight crafter quietly made his way over to Darian, and whispered to her, "should we mention that dark force felt when we wrenched Voice from the Undead one's grasp? It might be nothing, but if this Dark Lord is truly as powerful as he felt when we contested his claim, than he might upend the entire operation if he chooses to intercede."

Last edited:
As you talk to the Sidereal hit squad, they begin to make plans on just how that they would be proceeding. Aysik muses, "We'll have to get to this possessed Solar, one way or another. It would be best to be able to avoid any contact with the horde of his followers out there, and just sneak in past what guards he may have." He looks over at Aredin and the others. "Just how sneaky are the bunch of you? Can you make it through the crowds out there undetected and get to a place where we can engage them without having to have a full scale battle in the streets? If not, we may need to change plans a bit."
Sorry it has taken me so long to post; had a death in the family that knocked my creative streak for a loop and I'm trying to get things back up to speed once more.

Aredin scratched at his chin, "I mostly relied on Rashiid and acting skills for stealth. I can make the attempt, but I wouldn't place bets on it with stakes this high. I'd be better off taunting the army into attacking me rather than sneaking through them in plain sight. Though, Leeayta or Relza may know of a more covert route than what comes to mind at present." Aredin looked to Viktor and then to Relza for a moment, "If we do need that distraction, however, I know just the partners to make it count."

Leeayta comes up with a wicked grin. "If I had my way, I would gladly stop hiding in the shadows if there were a band of Exalted brave enough to step forward with my children and do battle with the rabble. I have a large cache of weapons stashed that I had the foresight to hide away. With my lovelies armed with the Artifacts of their forefathers, they will make short work of the so-called army of the Goblin King, especially with the support of the mighty Solar Exalted. I must remind you, though, that while my children are strong, they are not a match for the powers of Filial Wisdom or the dark Exalt that follows him."

Sirocco mentions casually "I can easily make my way among the troops outside, as they seem to be, for now, unsuspecting of normal animals. Which, in my opinion, is a gross oversight by this Filial Wisdom, and his buddies." As she mentions Filial Wisdom's name, it is clear she holds him in some contempt.

"I practically grew up sneaking around cities. I reckon I can slip past Filial Wisdom and his rabble, for lack of a better word." Annika added, sounding nonchalant.

Viktor shook his head in response. "I don't think I'll ever pass as sneaky." He grinned at Aredin, "but I certainly could help whip up a hard to ignore distraction. Making old ships fly again, very difficult. Making them explode, marginally easier."

The crafter shrugged. "Perhaps Relza and I could set up a large distraction, making it easier for a few of you to sneak past. We could blow the engines on a derelict skyship, then fly away before they reach us and provide air support."

Last edited:
Aysik looks over at Viktor. "I would hazard a guess that Relza would try to tear you apart if you were to even try to explode one of 'her' airships. Better to use them as aerial support weapons with archers and bombers using them to pin down the goblins. Leeayta, how many of your children are Enlightened? And do you have enough First Age weaponry in your cache to sufficiently arm them?"

The Lizard Queen holds her head up high. "I have been able to bring seventy eight of my Dragon Kings through their youth and into awareness, slowly teaching them the Paths of Prehuman Mastery and showing the how to use their Essence. Add to that the fact that I have more than enough arms and armor to equip them all with, and you are looking at a core of a very ferocious fighting force. With the aid of the Exalts here, we can easily march against the few hundred humans and goblins that have gathered outside our walls. If Filial Wisdom had gathered his entire force of troops, we would not be in such a good position, and would have to make it a defensive fight."

She looks over at Aredin and says, "We can clear your path, but the Goblin King is beyond our power to face. He will have to be taken down by you and yours, while the Fateweavers do what they came here for with the dark spirit of Han-Tha. Can we count on you? I would not have my years of hard work wiped out along with my precious Dragon Kings."

Darian places a gentle hand upon Leeayta's shoulder. "I will stand with you, and I believe that I can speak for all of us that we are going to do so. Work with us and we will help you bring more of your children to the light of the Unconquered Sun, and your loyalty to the new Deliberative will be greatly rewarded."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back