• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
The unintelligible shrieking and screaming of the Pterok had Annika on edge, but she made no attempt to draw either of her weapons. Though the reptiles were clearly radiating hostility, they'd also made no immediate attempt to attack the members of the circle yet, something Annika hoped was a sign of them possessing sentience.

Still, even if these Dragon Kings were one of the intelligent varieties, they looked for all the world like they might get violent soon if nothing else happened. Stepping in front of Heaven, Annika glanced at Sirocco, wondering what the Lunar would try and say.

"I don't know if you can tell, but we're currently in a bit of a situation here. Three flying lizards are buzzing around us." Annika said to Darian, aware of the Zenith caste's inability to see.

"I guess the rumors are true!" Viktor shouted to his comrades, trying to be heard over the screeching of the flying beasts. He couldn't understand the Pterok's words, thinking its cries were only for their blood. "The only things remaining this close to Rathess must be lawless instinct-driven Dragon Kings!"

The crafter quickly pulled the shield and Daiklave loose from the straps on his pack, and took a defensive stance. Shield raised, he bellowed out, "What are your orders, Aredin? I spotted multiple First Age ships as we landed, perhap they're guarding the ships?"

Darian ducks down inside the transport. "They are saying something, but I don't understand them. But I don't think that they are overtly hostile; they could have attacked us earlier and haven't. Can anyone understand them?"

"I'd like to think that what Darian's saying is true, but I've got no clue what they're saying!" Annika replied in response to Viktor and Darian's words.

Sirocco approaches them carefully, speaking to them in Holy High Speech "We mean you no harm. We are here to extend our welcome, and to offer an alliance, similar to the one that existed between the exalted and the Dragon Kings ages ago. And I bring you greetings from afar from K'rr'cheek."

Aredin sheaths the Daiklave he held in hand, able to tell that these ones could at least be spoken to. Only speaking in the usual Old Realm, "Wish I had the time to learn these languages... I reckon I will in the days to come, or so I hope. So far so good it looks like. Let's just avoid any more flaring if possible. There is still the Realm watch post west of here." Aredin settled in a seated position hopeful they could make friends here.

When Sirocco talks using the High Holy Speech, there is a mixed reaction. One of the Pteroks lets out an angry hiss and immediately dives at her, just to be knocked aside by a second flier. The two then begin a rapid fire argument in which even someone that knows Forrest-Tongue can follow only one word in five. The one that swooped down to attack seems to back down in submission, leaving the larger one that blocked him to land about twenty feet from the Lunar. It - or rather, he - is crouched down and ready to go airborne in a flash if there is any sign of danger. It looks at Sirocco and says in the High Holy Speech, "You know the Speech. How do? Only us know the Speech."

Viktor watched apprehensively, unable to follow the events occurring before him. He watched Sirocco emit a pattern of screeches, perhaps attempting to speak a language to the creature that he was unfamiliar with. This led to one of the smaller Pteroks becoming hostile, until a larger one blocked it and forced it to submit through a series of loud contested screeches. He could feel the blood pulsing quickly through his veins as the large winged reptiles argued, flapping their massive wings and emitting a string of strange sounds.

Viktor took a deep breath to calm his nerves, keeping his mind sharp as his heart-rate slowed. The crafter continued to hold his armaments in a defensive posture, unsure of whether the flying Dragon Kings were responding positively or negatively to Sirocco's attempts at communication. He tried to monitor the situation carefully, observing as the larger Pterok seemingly screeched some kind of response back to Sirocco.

"Are you able to speak to them?" he asked Sirocco while his eyes remained trained on the Pterok.

Sirocco bows in the traditional Dragon King way, and says "I was rescued and taught by K'rr'cheek, in the mountains north-west of Gem. He taught me your customs and your Speech. My former incarnation brought him and his fellows there, and provided them with a place to live, and he showed his gratitude to me."

Enmeshed as she is with a talk with another Pterok, Sirocco ignores the Solars at her back, knowing that to impress these Pteroks, and possibly gaining their help, she will need to act as the Face of the party, and it would take all of her concentration to do so.

The level of wariness from the Dragon King speaking seems to lower as Sirocco talks. He lets out a screech to his fellows, and the two fliers drop down to the deck behind the first. The three begin another rapid fire conversation between themselves, looking up at the Exalts occasionally as they continue to chatter to one another.

Finally, the conference ends and the three Pteroks in the front turn to look at Sirocco. The one that seems to be the leader of this particular group says in the High Holy Speech, "You know the Speech, and say you know us from some other here. Why you here? What you want? Who them?" At the last, it pokes a wing over towards the others in the Transport Globe, watching anxiously to see what happens.

Sirocco takes a breath before she responds. She knew from K'rr'cheek that some Dragon Kings felt betrayed by the Solars, but he never explained why. She gestures towards her companions, and says "For a long time, the Solars have been hunted down, but this group of Solars are carving up a kingdom, that they intend to see growing, and be a haven for Solars, and in doing so, they plan to ressurect some of the greatness of the Solar Rule. As part of that, we seek to restore Rathess to it's former glory, and to ally once more with the honorable and great race of Dragon Kings, and to bring them back to glory as well." And then she adds in a softer voice "And if we can, to find a way to help more of your feral kind to regain their memories."

As you talk, Sirocco get the feeling that much of what you are telling them is just going over their heads. They may be capable of talking, but their level of understanding is still limited. Perhaps they have just reached a level of enlightenment to allow them the ability to talk.

A relatively short period of time has gone by at this point, but enough time has passed for some more Dragon Kings to make a sudden appearance from behind a wall. But, the four reptiles that arrive are not Pteroks, but instead, these are Raptoks. Another change is that two of these are carrying crystaline war clubs, a third has some kind of vine whip, and the fourth is carrying a daiklave made of orichalcum! They are even wearing some armor. At least the one with the daiklave has to have its Essence Awakened.

The Pterok that Sirocco is talking to holds out a wing and lets out a screech, drawing up the Raptoks short. They quickly begin to talk, firing off words in some kind of rapid fire dialect that is nearly impossible to understand. Finally, the one with the sword slides his blade into a makeshift sheath on its back and steps forward. It offers up a slight bow to Sirocco. In a clear voice, it says in the High Holy Speech, "My friend here tells me that you can understand me, and have had contact with other Dragon Kings in the past. I call myself Arrog. Who are you, and what brings you to Rathess?"

Aredin's head tilts in curiosity, still speaking in Old Realm as he lands the vessel before the Raptoks, discards the now tiny orb into his pocket, and flashes a glint of orichalcum from his Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light and amulet. "I reckon you all can't understand what I am saying can you?" He said slowly with a thoughtful gesture. Attempting to communicate with body language, Aredin pointed to the sun and then patted a fist to his heart before extending a hand as a handshake, "We are chosen by a shared god. We want to help." Aredin concluded, hoping any sort of understanding would show in their eyes.

Last edited:
With the sudden appearance of more Dragon Kings, Darian is a bit on edge. Right up to the point that she can hear the calm way that the lead Raptok seems to be talking, and the way that Aredin is responding to it. "It at least sounds more intelligent than the other ones here. I wonder if we will be able to communicate."

Old Realm, as stated, though if there are sufficient linguistic similarities, Aredin may try Riverspeak to see if their Forresttongue could get a rough approximation.

OOC I missed that you were talking in Old Realm. My bad.

When Aredin speaks, the Raptok in the lead perks its head up and looks at you, eyes narrowing. It switches to Old Realm as it speaks, "You are one of the blessed? Of the Unconquered Sun? What brings you here to this Tower?"

No point lying, I reckon. Aredin smiled widely. "I want to become the emperor and bring creation back together again. I want to exterminate the Fae, free the slaves, and purge the Shadowlands from our world." Aredin's own eyes narrowed slightly, thinking this Raptok may have some useful insight. "I want to avoid becoming the monster the Sidereals claim I will inevitably become... I want to restore my wife's eyesight and have a family for the first time in 13 years... I need all of you, I need this city, to make those dreams possible. Will you partner with us to heal your city and it's people?"
Aredin did not let his anima openly ignite, but his caste mark glittered faintly upon his forehead, revealing the bullseye mark of the Eclipse caste.

[First Impression Roll is Charisma + Presence only effective appearance 5 for stealth purposes. I'm dropping the 11m 1w for the usual enhancers. Good thing I did too, cause that roll was crap. 18 successes.]

Following Aredin's example, Darian steps up next to her husband and gives a radiant smile. "I wish to restore the proper worship of the Unconquered Sun back to the people of Creation." She allows her Caste mark to glow.

Sirocco steps aside, but still refers to Arrog in High Holy Speech "As you can see, we are Lunar and Solar Exalted, and we've come here with an offer to restore our ancient bond, and to bring back the Dragon Kings."

Viktor lowers his armaments when he hears them beginning to speak in Old Realm. Though he doesn't put the equipment away, as long as he can understand the main flow of the conversation he doesn't feel as worried about being immediately attacked. Instead, the crafter continues to stand by and listen to the Old Realm portions of the discussion. He nods along as Darian mentions restoring Creation-wide worship to the Unconquered Sun.

The Raptok looks at the Circle and offers up a slight bow. "I offer my greetings to the Noble Exalts before me. I call myself Arrog. We have little to offer below, but what we do have you are welcome to. Come. I will show you our nest." He turns and walks back the way he came from.

Do you follow?

Hoping that this is a good start, Darian will go ahead and step forward and follow the Raptok. "It is good to meet you, Arrog. I am Darian Lambert. We were hoping to find members of your race that had reached a level of enlightenment. May I ask how many Dragon Kings are in your nest?"

"So, has everything worked out?" Annika asked in Riverspeak as she watched Darian start walking after Arrog, having not understood any of the conversation. Nevertheless, she would follow after the Zenith caste.

Sirocco follows, though she now feels left out, having not mastered this tongue that the Solars are talking with the Arrog. But as a gesture, she does change back to her human form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back