Transition of Power

Enuky

Status Troll

Transition of Power

Overview

Long ago in a distant land was the Kingdom of Ironway. Ironway was known best for its natural beauty, its hilly landscape, and its dense forests. For centuries these lands have remained at peace, but this was not always so. Once these lands were savaged by a gruesome civil war between the ruling family and a powerful rebellion. The rebellion was lead by a prominent family known as the Fyvie clan, but the Loewen clan was the ruling royal family. 

The civil war raged on and neither side showed any intention to surrender. The rebels and subjects of Ironway were in an increasingly tense state of war, and both sides began to deteriorate. Famine and death plagued the land, but the two sides fought on relentlessly.

Ironway became a barren kingdom. Its forests were burned and its people weak. The collapse of Ironway as a leading kingdom was immenient, and It was at last the royal family decided to negotiate a peaceful resolution.

It was decided during these negotiations that hence forward control of the throne would no longer be directly passed to a royal heir. Instead, the death of a king would mark the beginning of a new tradition. The heir of the Fyvie and Loewen clans would face one another in a test to decide who is most fit for rule. The two heirs would be left deep in the woods to fend for themselves, and the heir with the greatest survival skills declared king of Ironway until his death. 

This system of rule satisfied both sides, and today first heirs spend most of their time preparing for this eventual transition of power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Julius Fyvie was traveling south from his homeland farther north. The river they were floating on was the largest in Ironway, and extended across the entire kingdom. A great canal was constructed through the capital city, and lying low beneathe the great walls of it was the Fyvie ship. 

It was early in the morning when the boat arrived. The sun wasn't yet above the horizon, and thick fog was present above the river. The boat resembled a viking ship, and was long in size with nearly a dozen burly men propelling it forward through rowing. 

Around them was the capital city of Ironway, and home of the Ironway royal family. The city was quiet for now, but as soon as the sun rose it would be bustling with activity again. The city was densely packed with shops and homes of subjects. 

Julius was standing at the nose of his ship, eyeing the port. He was dressed in his finest attire with white trousers and a blue coat with golden buttons at the cuffs and a white, ruffled shirt beneathe it.  He had long awaited and prepared for this occasion. His blonde hair was blowing gently behind him in the breeze and he could already taste victory between his lips. It was at long last time for Julius to restore the Fyvie clan's power. 

He knew all about his competitor. He was the prince of Ironway, and Julius was not threatened. The ship reached a port and Julius hopped from the deck to the land, leaving his crewmen to tie down the ship. 

@puppyluver565

Catherine Lowen stood in the middle of the training ring. She was on alert, she was ready to take her opponent. Her competitor jumped her from behind and she managed to get him off of her back and pin him to the ground. "Catherine get off of him, you haven't proved anything in your time of training, at least your brother was willing to fight for our country but you you are going to be slaughtered on the field." Stephan, her trainer told her. She stood up from her perch atop of Jared and she apologized to him. 

Catherine went to Stephan and confronted him about it. "Stephan now you know it's not fair to me I've only been training for this for the past two months in which my twin brother died!" She found herself screaming at him. "And should I have pity on you then the poor princess and excuse you from a tradition which has extended for melinniae?" Stephan thundered back. He sighed afterwards softly "go get ready for the opening ceremony princess. And your people are behind you every step of the way." Stephan said. 

Catherine walked to her to her room and dressed in her finest for tonight's dinner. Strangely though she didn't feel hungry, her stomach felt tense as she tought about meeting the man she was supposed to fight. She hadn't ever met him, but the fear of her own possible death pounded deep within her. Yet she still would go through with the fight, for the sake of Familial pride.

She went to the balcony and watched as the Fyviean ship pulled to port. She saw Julius walking like he owned the Lowenian empire... She thought he was handsome but she steeled her heart against his pretty face.

After climbing from the walls of the canal, Julius took a closer look at his surroundings. The roads here were paved in cobblestone and overall the city looked nice. The largest structure looming in the distance was of course the Ironway royal palace.

A small grin stretched across his pale lips when he spotted the palace and this was the direction he went in. He wanted to waste no time, and expected their arrival to be highly anticipated. Surely, they were waiting for them, but Julius didn't think they would expect to find him traveling on foot alone. He hoped he could surprise his adversaries, unaware of the princess watching him from a distant balcony. 

As he made his way to the palace he could already see the city was preparing for the festivities. There were banners and flags baring the Lowen and Fyvie crests outside of homes, depending on which party the establishment supported. This rite of passage was highly publicized to the subjects, and during a transition the people would often support a particular side, despite which clan is actually in power. Most considered it a fair competition, and the spirit would be present. Across the kingdom subjects would dance, play music, and feast in celebration of this holiday. 

In just a short time he could see the palace ahead. It was encircled by a moat, and a draw bridge would have to be dropped for him to enter. He wondered what his hosts would be like. 

@puppyluver565

Her heart beat wildly within her chest as he turned and she saw his face. She could tell he really was handsome. And probably cocky and arrogant and not afraid of me. She thought to herself. She went back inside  and began writing in her journal, her feelings of strife and hatred for the Prince, and she hadn't even met him yet!

After she had vented all of her feelings onto the page, she went to the kitchens to make sure that the food for the dinner was being prepared on schedule. Thankfully it was and as she was finishing in the kitchen the head of the gates said that the Prince of Ironway was asking to be let in the front gate. She took in a deep breath and said "let him in." The guard quickly went to the moat and opened the gate. The Princess followed after him and carefully fixed herself in a mirror in the entry  way so that she didn't look like a mess. She fixed her green dress which hugged her curves perfectly before going to the door to greet him.

@Enuky

The draw bridge slowly collapsed across the murky moat, inviting Julius to cross over. He briskly made his way across the bridge, marching with excellent posture and an air of great confidence. At the other end of the bridge was the main door leading into the palace.

Standing in the doorway was a beautiful young maiden. She had rosy hair and was wearing a gorgeous green dress. Julius took a moment to look her over and stuttered, for the first time showing a waver in his confidence. 

He quickly recovered, however; and the next thing he did was drop to the ground in a deep bow. 

"Good morning, my lady. I am Julius Fyvie, here representing the Fyvie clan", he said, keeping his head bowed. 

@puppyluver565

Catherine smirked as he stumbled to find the words to properly greet her. She mentally made a note to remember her looks were stunning to him. 

She curstyed and came back up and answered him as a noble lady would.

"it's a pleasure Julian, I am Catherine Lowen, your competition, it is my pleasure to welcome you to our home."

@Enuky

Julius rose to his feet, still unaware of the point she was trying to make. "Aye, I can respect a lady standing by her clan." The idea of Catherine participating directly in the competition didn't even cross his mind as a possibility. To Julius, she was only supporting her party.

"I won't hold it against you", said Julius. 

@puppyluver565

She felt a little offended, did he not understand that SHE planned on winning the tournament,  beating him in survival? And hold what against her for goodness sakes? 

"Normally you would be fighting one of the men, however I am the remaining heir to my kingdom, so ya have no choice in the matter." She said, pausing for an awkward moment between the two of them. "Your room is this way, if you'll follow me." She said showing him the way to one of the royal bedrooms. Her brother's old room. A fire was lit in the fireplace and the room was warm, but she could not feel the heat from the flame, all she could do was think on the last time she had been in the room, two months earlier, when her brother died. She shook the dismal thoughts from her head.

"the sheets and mattress are new, and The opening feast is in two hours, let me know if you have any questions, I'll be right next door."

@Enuky

"What?" Sputtered Julius with a slight gasp, but this Catherine already had her back to him, leading the way deeper into the palace. He stood there for a long moment in his surprise, and finally had to hurry to catch up to Catherine who kept going.

"But my lady, wait, that can't be true", he said, ignoring her remarks about where he would be staying. He couldn't believe how casually she'd delivered this news to him. Whereas Julius was clearly affected by it, Catherine seemed unconcerned. 

"This must be some mistake. I can't face you." @puppyluver565

"Why in heavens name not? Do you believe it to be unfair to be beaten by a girl?" She asked. In all honesty she herself had considered this, but there was no way she would let the Fyviean clan be victorious yet again. She wasn't unconcerned exactly, but she knew it was a matter of familial pride and she had to be strong. @Enuky

Julius chuckled and stepped to where he was standing just in front of Catherine. He leaned over to be eye level to her, seeming to exaggerate their difference in height. 

"Because you're just a little lady", he said. He straightened his posture and brushed his brow. "If the true heir is unable to compete, you must forfeit. I do not intend to face you."

The Fyvie heir took a moment to look around he room, stepping quickly around it to observe while avoiding Catherine's eyes. He studied the book shelf a fireplace briefly and spoke, "I will be speaking to my advisers about this. Surely, this must be some misunderstanding." 

Julius headed back towards the doorway and once again leaned in deep to reach her eye level, "I will see you then in two hours at my victory banquet. By then I will have spoken with the ceremony coordinators to clear this little confusion up." With that, Julius gave the princess a polite bow before hurrying from the room. 

Julius burst from the main doors to the palace and stared out over the moat, hoping his crew would arrive soon so that he could correct this. Surely, a woman could not be his competition . 

@puppyluver565

"But I AM the true heir." She said flustered and angry at him for not thinking she was an ample competition.  

When he spoke about speaking to his advisors and that SHE would have to forfeit the competition. It wasn't fair for people to underestimate her because of her size. She had wit and she had the loyalty of her people to back her up. After all, beating him would not only be a win for the Lowen clan, but a win for females to prove that they deserved the respect and power to be high standing positions in the court. She went to her council to argue her side and assert that if the prince of Ironway wouldn't spar with her, the legal rightful heir, then he should relinquish control of the lands to the Lowen clans. @Enuky

Julius paced outside until his men arrived, eager to speak with his accompanying adviser. There were only seven other men present, and six of them were dressed in armor and outdoorware. The oldest looking man among them was thin and gray haired, but he was well dressed similarly to Julius. This was his adviser and father. 

The adviser could see from afar that Julius was frustratrd, and he and his crew hurried to meet him. "They're trying to make me face off against a woman!" Said Julius. "Surely this can't be allowed! No woman can compete for power!"

The old man raised a hand to silence Julius, "what happened, son?" He asked. He appeared much calmer than his son. Julius relayed the details of the morning to his father, who shook his head.

"I know it isn't ideal, son, but you can't refuse a centuries old tradition. Women have been involved in the past, it is just much less common."

"But Dad--"

"Do you forfeit the competition?" He asked sternly. 

"No, but..."

"Silence. I will hear no more of this. You will respect tradition" He stated, saying no more and leading his men into the palace. 

Two hours later...

Two hours passed and Julius reluctantly made his way to the banquet hall. Julius entered the banquet hall accompanied by his father and men. He was carrying a faint scowl; he felt angry about the situation. He was embarassed as well to have been proven wrong by the female. 

@puppyluver565

Catherine went to her advisory board and explained the details of what happened. The group agreed that though it was not ideal, females could compete and be victorious, as history had proven.

~two hour later~

as Catherine entered into the banquet hall, she saw Julius accompanied by several men with a scowl on his face. She smirked a little herself, knowing that she had won that battle. @Enuky

Julius was still bitter about the council's assessment of the competition, and chose to sit alone in a corner at the far and of a long table. The banquet hall was already full of other guests by the time they arrived, but Julius did not wish to interact with any of these city folk. 

Julius and his people were from the mountains. It was less populous, and colder. The competition was being held in the capital city, but the location of it alternated each cycle. The last battle between two heirs was in a northern city. 

His attitude did nothing to stop the events, and soon the room was full of activity and food as people socialized and whispered speculations about which heir would win. This was the first gathering of the heirs, and it was traditionally a highly celebrated event. It was believed that the two sides celebrating beforehand would bring forth good sportsmanship between the heirs. 

After some time a group of musicians could be heard in the distance , and the crowd of guests seemed to follow the sound as they dispersed through an open doorway and into a neighboring ballroom. Now there was noise and music and many guests were dancing, but Julius lingered behind in the banquet hall, not sharing in everyone's excitement. 

@puppyluver565

Catherine had to be a good hostess throughout dinner and she played the part very well. She laughed with the courtiers and ate her fair share of dinner. After dinner she led them into the ballroom for the dance, but she did notice that Jullus was not there. After a while she exited the ballroom and saw him standing alone, by himself. She went to him and stood beside him. "Hey, listen you can throw a fit about me being a woman and it not being fair to you and you  can stand sulking out here, but keep in mind you are the face and embodiment of your people so act the damn part." She said crossing her arms, and feeling very put out towards him

@Enuky

Julius watched Catherine prance around the banquet like a fairy with a look of disgust upon his face. It burnt him up. She was socializing and enjoying herself as if she'd forgotten she was preparing to spar against a mountain man in the coming night. Julius couldn't understand how the princess could possibly be light spirited right now, but there she was strutting about without a care. 

He'd fallen deep into his contemplation about the competition when a voice snatched his attention. He looked up, already knowing who it was by her voice and already turning slightly red. He jumped up from where he was seated to stand taller than Catherine, giving her an icy blue stare with narrowed eyes. 

"You want me to act the damn part, pretty girl?" He asked. There was a brief pause as he studied her up close before suddenly he held a hand out to her, offering to dance. "We'll have it your way then", he added, waiting for her to accept or decline. 

@puppyluver565

Catherine, shocked by his rude manner and glares, decided that she would take him up on his offer to dance with her. She took his hand in hers and began dancing with him. "I'm sorry Julius for our rough meeting and misunderstanding." She said attempting at restoring the at least pleasantness that had happened when they first met.

The two danced then. Julius took one of Catherine's hands in his, and his other arm was extended around her waist. In gentle circles they moved, gliding around the ballroom with a grace that one would not have expected from that of the Fyvie heir. 

Others attending the ball whispered about the two, surprised to see the two heirs dancing. However, Julius only ignored the strange looks and whispers. He was only focused on Catherine, staring deeply into her eyes. It was as if the two were dancing alone. 

"You know I won't be going easy on you", he stated to her, bringing her arm upward to twirl in a small circle before returning it to where it was and still moving in gentle circles. 

@puppyluver565

As Catherine danced with him she could feel the stares of the other people, but she didn't care, As he twirled her, she felt as though it were just the two of them in the world.

"I know, and I want you to expect the same from me. I just wish there were a way we could solve this issue without people dying..."

@Enuky

Julius continued to dance with her. His eyes remained fixated on her hand he was holding. He chuckled at Catherine's concerns, finally bringing his eyes back to her's. 

"Oh, there's no need to worry about people dying. I won't be laying a hand on you". He said, flashing a cheeky smile. He slipped behind Catherine, resting her body in his arms and gently rocking her back and forth. He brought his face to her ear and whispered into it, "when we're in the wilderness, I am going to disappear. I will hide and you will never find me....I know I can take care of myself, but I hope you're ready to spend months living in the dreadful cold, princess". @puppyluver565

Catherine's first thought was to smack that cocky grin off of his face. However, she regained her composure and withheld herself. "Oh and you think I can't survive on my own in the woods? I do have a brain inside this head of mine contrary to your belief. I can build a fire and hunt animals and find water. So I do have the basics covered and I plan on winning by any means possible."

@Enuky

He frowned; she didn't seem intimidated by him. He didn't like that. Julius wanted Catherine to be shaking in her boots... He muttered something under his breath but otherwise said nothing else to her. From that moment on Julius only danced with her. His pace picked up and they twirled around and around the ballroom in silence. While barely noticing, hours passed by, and soon guests began to disappear and the crowd shrank. Now only the night separated them from their competition. 

"It's been a pleasure dancing with you...", said Julius. "Tomorrow it will be just you and me".

Nighttime had approached, and first thing in the morning the two would be brought to the woods. It would be their last evening spent in comfort for a while. He scratched his head and tried to avoid her gaze, "I won't be needing your brother's room; I'm comfortable sleeping outside", he said, arrogantly.

@puppyluver565 (I really think once we make it to the competiiton the rp will pick up... sorry this took me forever, still super interested)

She turned her head once he had arrogantly stated his desire to seep out of doors. "So you could go reporting back to your hometown that we arrogantly refused to offer the prince a bedchamber of his own and forced him outside to sleep on the cold hard ground before the competition even started?! Hell no!!" She said stomping her foot down in frustration at him.

@Enuky (agreed)

Users who are viewing this thread