• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Trail of Cthulhu Interest Check

SerpentineWitch

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
Hey guys! I've been playing D&D for about 2 years now and would like to dip my toes into GMing and trying out other systems. I would love to try out a ToC game, but my current D&D group is at capacity for campaigns. ToC runs on the GUMSHOE system, so I'd recommend looking into the system to see if if you feel it would suit your playstyle, and feel free to ask me any questions you have about it if you're unfamiliar. I'd be interested in maybe running one short module and seeing how things go from there/if we'd like to continue. Looking for 2-3 players not including myself. Please let me know if you're interested :)

Question, why trail over call? I think CoC is typically more well known?
Thanks for asking! Like I said, I haven't run or played ToC or CoC so I'm only working on what I've read from reviews and the rulebooks themselves, but I feel that ToC would be better suited to the tone I would like for the game. I'm interested in running something more narrative-driven and investigation-oriented with less focus on combat, and to my understanding the GUMSHOE system would work best for that. If you have experience with either/both systems I'd love to hear input!

I have experience in both. I find Trails better for narrative games.

CoC was great for its day, but I honestly think it has outlived its usefulness. Dice heavy systems are a pain when there's a plot that you're trying to work through. Your characters can botch basic rolls and force you to rewrite the whole structure. CoC fans will point out that creative GMs can work around bad rolls, but why should they have to?

Anyway, interested.

I have experience in both. I find Trails better for narrative games.

CoC was great for its day, but I honestly think it has outlived its usefulness. Dice heavy systems are a pain when there's a plot that you're trying to work through. Your characters can botch basic rolls and force you to rewrite the whole structure. CoC fans will point out that creative GMs can work around bad rolls, but why should they have to?

Anyway, interested.
Thank you for your input! The lighter dice system also appeal to me as a new GM.

If you want a really light system, there's Cthulhu Dark for CoC and Cthulhu Deep for Delta Green. Both use a single die roll to determine the degree of success. They don't have tactical combat, so most gamers shy away from them, but they work when you have a strong plot with investigation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back