• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Torn Skies

Soviet Panda

Red Panda Commanda.
Roleplay Type(s)
Magic fractured our world. Ground the mountains to dust and vaporized the oceans, ripped and tore until there was nothing left. No one knows how such an immense amount of magical energy was unleashed, some say it was the gods, others a great coven. But that same magic held it together, if only by a breath. Floating islands amidst the chaotic storms that raged across the desolate and dark wastes beneath. Swallowed and spat out again and again, the magic seemingly able to tell which ones held life and which ones didn't. Nothing could survive on these islands, no matter how hard we tried to make it so. So we made our own. Floating behemoths that floated across the sky, fueled by the same magic that threatened them. A whole new world created by the might of man. And with that might, came it's flaws. Conflict soon arose, and two empires rose to power, crushing their lesser into the dust or enveloping them into their fold. One a paragon of technological advancements who have enslaved magic to their whim while the other holds fast to their oldest of ways and traditions and see magic as a gift given by the gods. These two ideas, fundamental opposites, have fought for generations. Perhaps it will never end. Maybe one side will win or a third, stronger entity will unite them under it's banner. Or maybe, just maybe, if the planets were to align and the gods smiled upon this forsaken realm, a peace could be forged to unite the two. But personally, I doubt that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So an idea like this has been floating around in the back of my mind for a couple of months and I wanted to see if anyone was interested in it. Of course it needs to be fleshed out somewhat, as you can see, but I'm well on my way with that as it is (10hr shift with nothing to do gives me a lot of free time) and am more than willing to answer questions since I've probably forgotten something.
Magic isn't an easy thing to do, quite frankly something that powerful shouldn't be easy to use. It's what's keeping every air ship up in the sky and the Storm from swallowing it whole. Magic users go through intense training and meditation for years to get even a taste of the potential power that they can call upon, the long lifespan they inherently gain from using this magic making it possible to reach this potential. Though no training is required when hooked up to the engines of Fleet ships which forcefully use your powers until you are dead or no longer needed.

All magic users have some form of animalistic trait which sets them apart from the rest of society, for better or for worse depends on which empire they are in. Those hooked up to engines and have their magic forcefully used are often much more animal than human, some to the point where they even start to think like beasts. Extremely old magicians are also naturally more of a mix, though they are much more in control of themselves then the raging engine beasts.
(Names pending)
The Fleet is led by Grand Admiral _______ and his council of Admirals, who in turn consult with their chosen Captains. The Grand Admiral may consult with his council, but in the end his word is treated as law. Treatment of nonmagical citizenry is very fair, with opportunities to improves one standing within the social and economical hierarchy. The Fleet relies more on technology than magic, though magic is still a necessary ingredient to their largest machines in the form of engine beasts.

The Shogunate is in theory headed by Emperor ______, though in reality power rests with Shogun ________. The heads of the various families make their voices heard within the Council and brings the bureaucracy to almost a stand still. Nonmagic citizens are held to a much stricter set of laws with little room for progression while those blessed with magic are treated almost as gods. Magicians in the Shogunate have so much power, that some house mages hold more power than the house they are bound to, adding yet another layer of complexity to the Shogunate's political landscape.
Fantasy - Torn Skies (Character Sheet)

Last edited:
So with the magic benders my little joke, they are basically be able to with-stand it's dark entity but also awaken some sort of beast instincts for a price? But then there's also users that wield technology to control the magic? But the rumors hold that the gods choose the holders to have it's magic?

So magic is just a thing, the only darkness that it is inside it is whatever the magician/magic bender/whatever I end up calling them use it for. Those that use magic have animalistic features ie horns, some feathers, scales, etc. etc. and become more beast like as they continue to use their power.

For the technomagic, only The Fleet uses it. They hook up magicians to either massive machines or engines, and use the magical power from the magicians to power whatever they're hooked up to, causing immense pain to the magician. Think of these magicians as living batteries that really don't want to be there.

And finally, the gift of the gods theory. Magic is quite frankly a mystery, and that's the best explanation people have come up with as to why seemingly only certain people can use magic.

Hope that helped out a little bit.

OHHHHHH, Thanks for clearing some of that for me, I know you literally just placed this on today, but whenever you have you OC Sheet or whatever I'm so down.

Go right ahead! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I can't stress that enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back