Too OP?

JulesX

The Empress of Feels
Hi guys, I'm currently writing out a bunch of different characters for a novel that I'm planning on eventually writing. Anyway, I made this thread today because there's one character that I'm particularly concerned about.

His ability is to control heart rate. Now, I'm looking for a way to control this but I'm not sure as to what the limit should be. If someone could help me out it would be appreciated <3

That depends. Is this a science fiction thing where heart rate can give super powers if accelarated enough? Do you want this character to be able to kill people with this ability?

If the answer is yes to either of those, then you need to add conditionals. Conditionals are essentially triggers that allow one to use the ability. For example, in Code Geass, the MC´s power requires him to be looking at someone directly in the yes or the power can´t be used. This means that even if the ability is overpowered, just being able to use the ability at all is a challenge in of itself, thus balancing out the power and possibly creating some fun arcs around setting up the power.

The alternative to this is a proportional drawback. If your character can use the power whenever they want and to whatever extent they want, make something equally as pricey occur when they use the power. For example, the heart of someone they care about could also be affected by the ability when they use it on a person, or maybe a power causes permanent damages to the user´s body. This could also be done via charges, a limited number of times someone can use an ability in total. Both of these strategies force the user of the power to weight the benefits and drawbacks of using the power, potentially forcing them to take a different route and svaing the power as a tragic last resort.

If the answer to the first answers is no, however, just add limiters that prevent them from doing those things

That depends. Is this a science fiction thing where heart rate can give super powers if accelarated enough? Do you want this character to be able to kill people with this ability?

If the answer is yes to either of those, then you need to add conditionals. Conditionals are essentially triggers that allow one to use the ability. For example, in Code Geass, the MC´s power requires him to be looking at someone directly in the yes or the power can´t be used. This means that even if the ability is overpowered, just being able to use the ability at all is a challenge in of itself, thus balancing out the power and possibly creating some fun arcs around setting up the power.

The alternative to this is a proportional drawback. If your character can use the power whenever they want and to whatever extent they want, make something equally as pricey occur when they use the power. For example, the heart of someone they care about could also be affected by the ability when they use it on a person, or maybe a power causes permanent damages to the user´s body. This could also be done via charges, a limited number of times someone can use an ability in total. Both of these strategies force the user of the power to weight the benefits and drawbacks of using the power, potentially forcing them to take a different route and svaing the power as a tragic last resort.

If the answer to the first answers is no, however, just add limiters that prevent them from doing those things

Thank you! That was very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back