Tomb of Annihilation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tovalt stands and checks his equipment. Satisfied he looks up and nods. Not ideal but this isn't the first time I've had to try and break a curse with so little knowledge.

"I hope they fixed the undead problem," Boden mutters to himself quietly. "Please mam, just Boden. I'm glad you have a contact in such an isolated place." Adjusting the straps on his backpack, and pulling his hood up around his head, "shall we?"

Felix's face brightens considerably at the mention of Chult. "How fortuitous! I'll finally have a chance to put my studies to the test. And I think the Association will be more than overjoyed to have a contemporaneous account of the state of the many mysteries of that land." He grabs his Cartographer's tools from his pack, peers at the map, and begins making a copy, with plenty of space for annotations. "I'm sure you're right that this will make us quite rich - in knowledge, if not in gold." He looks at the rest of the group with a childish look of glee. "I was born ready. Let's go!"

Felicity slowly gets up from the chair as she savors it's comfort. She joins everyone with a quiet sigh, her tail slightly swaying in anticipation. "Hopefully we can put a stop to this before you completely waste away, it would be awkward if our main contact died before we could complete our task." She looks to Silvane with her black featureless eyes. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

You appear in a tropical city under the blazing sun. The familiar sounds of a harbor — creaking ropes, slapping waves, heavy barrels rolling across cobblestones — mingle with voices shouting and cursing in an unfamiliar language filled with clicks, inhalations, and singsongy words that make it sound almost musical. The aroma of unfamiliar spices and tropical fruit mixes with the wharfside smells of fish, tar, and canvas.

Beyond all that, Port Nyanzaru is an explosion of color. Buildings are painted in bright shades of blue, green, orange, and salmon pink, or their walls are adorned with murals portraying giant reptiles and mythical heroes. Every building sports baskets and clay urns of colorful flowers or is draped in leafy, flowering vines. Minstrels in bright clothing adorned with feathers and shells perform on street corners. Multicolored pennants and sun awnings flutter atop the city walls. A crowd of children dressed in feathered hats and capes races past you, squealing in delighted terror as a street performer costumed as a big-toothed lizard stomps and roars behind them. The whole city seems to be bustling, sweating, laughing, swearing, and singing.

Felix looks about, wide-eyed, furiously scribbling notes. He eyes one of the hulking dinosaur beasts of burden and coos. Looking at the rest of the group he stammers:"M-maybe we should call upon this merchant prince associate. Easy to lose your bearings in a city like this..."

Tovalt surveys around him quickly. The sudden colors and change in scenery somewhat blinding him from finer details "Yes, Let's get to this contact and go from there." He loosens the loop of his sword so it's easier to pull if needed. He hated new places. New places meant new prejudice against him.

Syndra dips her head. "yes, let us be off." She turns and confidently leads them down the street, pointing out interesting looking things as they passed. After a short while, they arrive at a lovely villa. Syndra knocks twice, and a chultan looking man emerges to greet her with a wide smile.

Felix smiles back, bows, then proceeds to utter something resembling the clicky inhalations that had been heard on the street - though in an oddly stilted manner.

Well this is new... The port was nothing like Boden had ever seen before. The colors, the street performers; the flowers; a cavalcade upon the senses. Taking a moment to get his bearings; the old teachings come to him. It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it. So Boden remains silent, following the group on guard.

As they approach another very nice house, his unease increases. Haven't seen to many of these with the lights on, he thinks. I could get use to this. At the appearance of this supposed prince; Boden brings his fist into an open palm and bows low as a sign of respect.

Tabasco winces as he looks around, taken aback at the sudden change of light and temperature and humidity all at once. He opens his mouth a bit, tasting the sea air and noticing there are others of his kind around the port. He follows the group silently, paying them little mind as his eyes dart around the vibrant and unfamiliar city.

Felicity stood out against the color of the city as she seemed to be the only thing devoid of color. She followed the group silently as she looked around at all of the side streets and alleyways. Since she had lived on the streets her whole life she knew how to mentally map out an area and use it's shortcuts for quick navigation. When they got to the house Felicity kept her hands behind her and her mouth closed as the man answered the door. She knew how easily she could scare people with her appearance, and she didn't want to make a bad impression. She simply nods to the man in greeting.

The man raises his eyebrow slightly at Felix, responding in accented common, "A speaker, interesting. Where did you learn to speak our tongue?" He turns to the others, dipping his head slightly. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Wakanga. Please, come in." He turns and leads you into the villa.

Felix straightens up with no little hint of pride. "A little bit of reading can go a long way! But I figure I got a long way to go to figure out the inflections." Accepting Wakanga's invitation without hesitation, he sauntered inside, curious of what the Merchant Prince's villa might hold.

Rising from his bow, Boden removes his hood and walks inside. His demeanor pleasant on the outside.
On the inside; his mind trying to take in everything he can on the way, in case he needs to make a quick get away.

Old habits die hard.

Last edited:
Wakanga leads you through a spacious home, lit with flames in sconces and torches along the walls. The place is furnished beautifully, and it is clear that Wakanga has a good amount of wealth. He settles down in a chair, gesturing at the others around him. You can hear soft music playing as he asks, "So, friends of Syndra, what brings you to Chult?"

"Syndra has hired us to seek and destroy an artifact she believes is responsible for the death curse." Tabasco stares intently at Wakanga as he speaks. "She provided us a rudimentary map of Chult but believed we might learn something more valuable by talking with you."

Tovalt leans up against the doorway leading in, his pupils dilating as he takes in what he can. He eyes the sconces and swords on the wall and then turns his attention to Wakanga. "Aye, anything you know or can tell us to prepare for removing this curse would be helpful."

Felicity eyes a door that she thinks leads to Wakanga's chamber, and she can detect a faint magic surrounding the door. She contemplates peeking inside but decides against it, as she feels that there really isn't a big reason to do so. Felicity sits down across from Wakanga and sets her black eyes on him. "A direction would be helpful as well, we still don't know where on Chult this artifact could be."

Wakanga seems to study you for a moment before giving a small nod and standing. "unfortunately, I do not know much more about this curse than you. I know its origins lay in the jungle but beside that..." He gives a small shrug. "However, I am pleased to hear that this is your intended goal, for I worry about Syndra greatly. This curse is taking its toll."

He turns, hesitating for a moment before approaching a bookshelf and picking up what looks to be an old, leather bound journal. "this was brought to me some years ago. It belonged to a wizard who was traveling in those jungles. Perhaps you will find something there to help you." He considers for a moment, before handing the journal to Tovalt.

Felicity sighs to herself before standing up. "We can read the journal on our way out, there is a time limit to this so we should be leaving as soon as we can." As she says this she walks to the entrance of the room and leans against the wall while she waits for the rest of the party to be ready to leave. "Let's hope we don't get lost in the jungle on our way there."

Wakanga calls after her, "Have you secured a guide? I would not suggest venturing out into those jungles without one."

Tabasco eyes Felicity but doesn't rise from his seat. "I'm well aware there is a time limit but being hasty in preparation often wastes time." Turning to Wakanga, he says "You're the expert in the room. What dangers lie in the jungle and what supplies should we bring for an expedition? If you provide us a list and the names of potential guides perhaps we can be prepared to leave as soon as tomorrow."

Tovalt uncrosses his arms and receives the journal. He begins to leaf through it listening to the ongoing conversation. He tracks Felicity's steps with his hear as far as he can to see if she plans on leaving or if she is just itching to go. Either she is worried for Syndra and the others afflicted or she's more of a doer than a thinker. After a moment of thought he follows Felicity's footsteps and says behind him to the others. "I'll go keep our companion company. Please fill me in if there is something exceptional to prepare for." His tone even but cordial. Stepping outside he looks for Felicity and upon finding her joins her. "Everything alright?" He's still leafing through the journal but much more slowly, so he can provide the majority of his attention to her.

Throughout most of the exchange Boden has remained silent, trying to take in everything he can.
As Tabasco makes mention of the map he tenses, why mention we have something so rare in our possession? Had Sylvain not said none were in existence? How trustworthy was this Prince?
Making a mental note to bring it up with the group later, he attempted to calm his nerves.

He returned his attention to the conversation at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread