Advice/Help Toe in the Freeform ocean

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
I'm considering running my first freeform RP. I'm a long-time dice player/GM, but I'd like to try it out.

Does anyone have a good set of "rules" I can steal? You know the ones: "No god-moding, respect each other," etc. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Also, any advice or tips?

Hey. Unless you know you're going to be dealing with completely new RPers, I don't think you need a rules page. On the freeform side, what to follow is common knowledge among us who've done this for longer than a 1-2 weeks.

Makes sense. I think that's what I'm trying to avoid. I haven't really done freeform myself formally and I'm not sure what the typical rules are other than not taking control of other people's characters. There's a social contract that I haven't tuned into yet. But your'e right. Everyone here is seasoned. So maybe just jumping in is the way to go.

What kind of roleplay are you planning on running?
As for what kind of RP: I'd love to do either a starship game with an ensemble crew or a mecha game where the group is a bunch of mecha pilots sent on missions with interpersonal situations when they're back at base. The idea I'd love to do, but I'm most afraid of, is a Star Wars campaign. I have the itch lately for sure.

As for what kind of RP: I'd love to do either a starship game with an ensemble crew or a mecha game where the group is a bunch of mecha pilots sent on missions with interpersonal situations when they're back at base. The idea I'd love to do, but I'm most afraid of, is a Star Wars campaign. I have the itch lately for sure.

So some brew of scifi action/adventure, got it. Well since you'll likely be running with a smallish number of players you want to prepare for early player drop outs. They're brutal to be sure and you can almost guarantee you'll suffer at least one. Come up with a plan to replace, remove, or puppet the dropped charater. Sorting it out quickly and confidently will help keep your other players from following the dropout's example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back