Do we need Prefixes?

• Yes! They are my babies!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Pfft no, they're a waste of breath.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Trickster Crayon

You've Been Tricked
One thing I have noticed in the partner search and such.. is a lot say "Ignore Prefix." Hey, I'm guilty of it too. The real question here is.. are they even needed? Should RP nation keep them? We BARELY use them, usually we state all our plots and ideas, no matter the genre, into one thread. Then again, most users rely on them to gain attention. I was sitting here pondering the use of them, and I began to wonder what others think. Should we make it a thing to ask to get rid of them? Or are there actual uses for prefixes, we might not be aware of?

Many people do use them, yes. Clicking on a prefix allows users to only view those threads with that prefix, which can help them narrow down the search.

There are definitely some users who barely use prefixes, but there are also users who use them frequently in the ways Kaerri described. Even only looking at rp recruitment (since they're definitely used all the time in non-rp subforums), people who are promoting a single genre can draw people in looking for that genre in particular.

So all that said, I think it's less that we don't need prefixes at all, and more that the 1x1 interest checks might need some sort of multi genre prefix so that people who are doing a mass interest check can meet the requirement to use a prefix without feeling like they're turning people off with the one they choose. With sufficient demand that would make sense, though as things are now I think simply saying to ignore the prefix conveys to those looking that is a mass multi-genre search thread. Prefixes are useful to many users, so for that reason it doesn't really make sense to get rid of them because there are other users who don't use them.

We have discussed and revamped the Looking for Partners prefix set, removing some that were never used or wouldn't go in the 1x1 section anyway, and adding the Multiple Settings prefix. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back