• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy To Bind a God

Mosswine Leader

Leader of Pigs
Hey all! Mosswine Leader here. Looking to try out an idea I'd had for a while. I wrote a short story about it, but I'd like to get some more people involved to really flesh out the whole story and lore and whatnot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Modern day Earth, alternate reality. Most of the world is as we know it, with one crucial difference. Magic is real, it's known about, and it's relatively common. Approximately 15% of the world population is magically talented, with ability levels varying wildly from a hedge wizard who can only perform the most minor of cantrips all the way to Arch Magisters who shake the very foundations of reality. Of course the former are quite common, and the latter are mostly legends or myths.

While most of the population uses their talents for benevolent or neutral purposes, there will of course always be rotten apples who want to ruin it for everyone else. A secretive cult, known as the Freeing, has hatched a plan to bind a powerful deity to a human vessel, thereby enabling them to control a living weapon of mass destruction rivaling the nuclear bombs controlled by the 'normals'.

A member of the cult broke away once she'd discovered their true intentions, and now hunts for partners to help her put a stop to the Freeing's plan. She knows how to prevent the ritual from taking place, but she can't do it alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magical schools include, but are not limited to:

Evocation- Control over the raw elements of reality. Fire, water, ice, stone, lightning, air, gravity, light and darkness.

Blood- Control and manipulate blood. Able to convert raw life energy into magical energy. They support other mages.

Necromancy- Necromancers are manipulators of Life and Death. They can hurt people, but they’re also the most powerful magical doctors in existence.

Shamanism- Call upon various deities and spirits of nature to bless your allies and yourself.

Ritualism- Circle magic. Very powerful, but very time consuming and if you mess up one little bit of the sigil the whole thing can backfire. Used for many different purposes.

Enchanting- Can bless mundane objects with magical properties, usually with a limited amount of uses before they go dormant again.

Seer- Has the ability to see the future, and to a limited extent, manipulate events around them.

Artificer- Makes magic devices that anyone can use. Can create golems and bind magical items to people’s flesh.

Voodoo- You can have limited mind control over people if you have something of theirs, you can curse or hex them, you can inflict pain on them if you have several significant items of importance to the target.

Shapeshifting- Self-explanatory

Wild empathy- .Animal control/influence. No animal would ever voluntarily attack you, and would come to your aid in a fight.

Chloromancy- Control over plants. You can influence their growth, change things about them, alter their properties.

Luxiomancy- You can congeal light into a sort of gel. Different shades do different things, and the gels harden differently, so you could potentially build with them. I have a subset for this one, because it's the most complicated of the schools to explain. A versatile ability, if not particularly powerful.

Geomancy. Different terrains give you different abilities. Being in the open plains, you’d be able to do things like ground-swimming. In the mountains you can move the rocks around at your whim. In the city, you can manipulate concrete and such. Anything related to the earth is applicable.

Elementalism- Use the elements to augment your body. Touch fire and become immune to cold, also be hot and touch a thing and melt it. Touch ice, become slippery. Touch ground, get stoneskin.

Entropy- Control over the negative forces. A very evil magic that does nothing but destroy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mages are born with three 'reservoirs' of magic. They start with one innate type, but can fill others by practicing other types. Once a mage practices those enough, the reservoir becomes attuned to that type of magic and fills with that type of energy permanently. Alternately, a mage may choose to sacrifice one or both of their secondary reservoirs to strengthen their primary or a secondary. This ritual takes time and is permanent, so most mages choose not to undergo such an extreme measure. Sacrificing versatility to gain in raw power may work for some, but for most it is more of a hindrance.

Learning other schools of magic isn't something that can be done alone. To do so requires a tutor or substantial literary material.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, there it is. Let me know what you all think. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I am open to them.

Meaning what? Like a D6 system? I was planning on leaving it up to the discretion of the player. I'd be expecting each player to show restraint, creativity and offer up meaningful contributions to the overall story.

The latter part of you comment is entirely compatible with the use of a system. And there are many other options that to a d6 option, though if you were looking for one, FATE, would be an example.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but I think I'd rather have everyone actually RP their magic rather than rely on something like 'and then Character X cast lightning spell Y with a power and magnitude of Z'. Something like 'Character X channeled the rage within him through his fingers, letting loose a blinding gout of flame towards his opponent'.

What you are describing is good and poor roleplaying on part of the player. That is independent of the system being used, which is used to aid the story telling by enhancing the element of the setting they want and giving a fair and consistent setting for the players, subject to GM fiat.

There are many other games/systems/mechanics than D&D. And the onus on story telling is on you, in either case.

Voodoo, you mean Hoodoo, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodoo_(folk_magic)

Geomany as a form of Earth-bending, akin to the Avatar animated series? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomancy

Wild empathy = Animal Ken

Entropy is bad, why so? It is essential for the rise of complex life (eukaryotic life, not to mention chemical reactions in general).

Luxiomancy is pretty cool though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voodoo/Hoodoo, sure. They're semi-interchangable. I'll leave it up to the player, but I just wanted to include the catagory.

Yes, Geomancy would be similar to Earth-bending.

Yes.

Entropy is the complete destruction of life. It doesn't leave anything left over to be recycled, meaning it is destruction in its purest form. Usage of the magic often twists and warps the psyche of the mage, making them crueler and more sadistic.

And yes. Of all the magics, it's my favorite. It's also the most complicated.

Entropy is intrinsically necessary for life to exist, though. Recycling in perpetuity is antithetical to life. It is not malicious in an intent to "destroy".

If you know Animal Ken as a skill in nWoD, then why the early reticence to a system's use before?

Why is luxiomancy so complicated?

I don't really know what nWoD is... I was just agreeing with you.

The act of destruction isn't necessarily what makes Entropy evil, it's the way it warps the minds of those that use it.

Luxiomancy is complicated because each color in the spectrum has specific physical properties and functions, such as consistency, smell, taste, emotional impact and overdose effect. In addition, luxlords can mix two colors in varying ratios to combine effects from each, with the predominant color dictating the overall composition. Kind of like Primary and Recessive genes. The quality of the hardlight produced by a luxlord also depends on their skill at refracting it. I have all the info in a separate document, but I didn't want to put it in with the rest, because it's a lot of text and I don't want it to seem like I'm favoring one school over another. They're all interesting, and I want every player to look at them equally.

"New" World of Darkness, as opposed to other iterations.

Conceptually, the idea is sound and frequently used, but what I wonder is why it is called "entropy" in this case.

Its' understandable not to initially include the luxiomancy for that reason, and it does sound interest as a game mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back