• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [Title TBD] - Origins and Magic System Brainstorm

Pandaskel Pandaskel
Hate to be that guy, but I'm gonna have to take my leave from this rp, at least temporarily. As fun as the idea of a group of people working together to craft their own world is, the saying about too many cooks exist for a reason.

I'd love to join this rp again when the whole worldbuilding aspect is finished, but right now I feel as if my presence just bogs down the process too much.

I think the disconnect here is that we keep using the word "spell" and I think I may be thinking of "spells" from only one perspective. When I think of someone casting a spell, I think of it like Harry potter, Say Magical words X and get Magical Outcome Y. This is something I want to avoid, as I want magic to be much more free-form than that.

Yes, when we discuss in what ways magic can be used, we will assign to the best of our abilities what can and can't be done on certain power levels. But I don't want the Power-level system to be thrown out simply because we haven't done an in-depth analysis of what each power level is capable of. When I said we would discuss it when a problem arose, I only meant when someone pulls an idea out of left field and tries to use magic in a way we didn't think of before. We will most certainly before that attempt to go over as much as we can to establish a strong spectrum of acceptability.
I do see where you're coming from, but I think maybe rather than having twelve set levels, we could have it so that it's more of a spectrum?

So on one end of the spectrum you'd literally have that they are magical but in a different fashion, like instead of having literal magic it comes out in other ways: they're extra strong/fast/intelligent, they can breathe underwater, other innate abilities that sets them apart from non magical humans, but they're still on the lower end of the spectrum.

In the middle you could have a set of powers that are commonly found in literature, like the star wars force, fire, ice, teleportation, ect... (Personally I like the power balance in X men the last stand, maybe our characters would be about that powerful, with only the best being like magneto and professor x? In that they have powers, but realistically they aren't capable of taking out entire cities or armies on their own.)

And on the other end of the spectrum you could have it so that they've mastered the ability from the middle ground, that way no one is inherently super awesome, as they've had to train for it.

Pandaskel Pandaskel
Hate to be that guy, but I'm gonna have to take my leave from this rp, at least temporarily. As fun as the idea of a group of people working together to craft their own world is, the saying about too many cooks exist for a reason.

I'd love to join this rp again when the whole worldbuilding aspect is finished, but right now I feel as if my presence just bogs down the process too much.
Sorry you feel that way, I'll be happy to see you back if we ever settle on something

Sprite Pepsi Sprite Pepsi

I mean no harm or disrespect, but feel free to take it as such.

honestly, it sounds to me like its stressing you out more than anything. the others seem pretty into it, and Morzone especially seems really happy to explain his idea's to the point that he brought up his own view on "spells". Don't come up with some lame excuse like that if you're the only one affected. Too many cooks isn't always a bad thing unless they have it as such. In fact, its the reason why the preference of "Sameness" is always underneath "Individuality", because the concepts bring different things. It never said specifically anything was good or bad.

...I really went in on that xD

You will be missed.

Don't come up with some lame excuse like that if you're the only one affected
Perhaps I should have worded it better. I'm just saying that it's starting to get pretty clear that my idea of how I want the world to look just isn't compatible with some of the other member's and so I think that me sticking around will just slow down the worldbuilding process too much for anyone to have any fun.

Perhaps I should have worded it better. I'm just saying that it's starting to get pretty clear that my idea of how I want the world to look just isn't compatible with some of the other member's and so I think that me sticking around will just slow down the worldbuilding process too much for anyone to have any fun.
It's a reasonable concern, one I am currently harbouring myself actually

Perhaps I should have worded it better. I'm just saying that it's starting to get pretty clear that my idea of how I want the world to look just isn't compatible with some of the other member's and so I think that me sticking around will just slow down the world-building process too much for anyone to have any fun.
i understand. Just saddened...

It's a reasonable concern, one I am currently harboring myself actually.
Ah, dang.

Sprite Pepsi Sprite Pepsi Dark lord steel Dark lord steel

Ok, first of all, Please don't feel like you need to leave over any disagreements with something I suggested/argue for. the very reason I put out this stuff out in this thread is so I can hear your feedback. Because yes, we do need to carefully go over what each spectrum level can and can't do, you're right. But we also need people who are willing to come out and persistently say "we need to do this" so that things do actually get done. You all are a valuable asset to the world building process, and I would much rather things get done slowly and correctly than rushed and full of holes.

Now, I gave it some thinking, and I realized that my spectrum is only one dimensional. All it does is separate the beginner from the master, and leaves no definition between the Ice mage and the Summoner. Now, to be clear this is still very important and I intend to keep pushing to have it used, but I keep saying things about how my method doesn't get in the way of different types of magic, which is being short sighted. If my spectrum method doesn't get in the way at all with type, then the suggestion of having a spectrum separating the different types of magic should be "Sure, why not?"

So why not create a second spectrum that organizes the different types of magic, one that works in tandem with my measurements of power?

So why not create a second spectrum that organizes the different types of magic, one that works in tandem with my measurements of power?

We can start from here, then we'll add or remove stuffs to our liking.

Sorry, but college happened for me. Probably wouldn't be able to visit this place until later this afternoon in my local time :/

Don't come up with some lame excuse like that if you're the only one affected.
That was aggressive and this is your warning.
Sprite Pepsi Sprite Pepsi
...I really went in on that xD
Not something to be proud of.

Sprite Pepsi Sprite Pepsi and anyone else who feels this way, including myself:

We definitely all have different visions for this world and it can be disheartening when no one else seems to be on board with your vision, especially if everyone else seems to be agreeing and you're the odd one out. I've felt that way this whole time and I'm the GM! Always know that your input is important and valued. This world is going to be an amalgamation of ALL of our visions. While this means we will all contribute, it also means we will all have to leave behind ideas we had if they don't work. Working in a team means compromise. Fortunately, I think we're all more than capable of that.

Sprite, the fact that you're concerned that you might encroach on other people's fun is exactly the kind of energy I want on this team, someone who is considerate and even willing to step back if it feels necessary. I would really, really hate to see you go. Your contributions have been great and I don't want to lose a creative mind.

Avoiding "Too Many Cooks":

I think the key here is for me to take a bit more of a leadership role. So our brainstorming can work like this: everybody throws out their visions, pitches, and ideas at the wall, team discusses and develops ideas and angles that stick. Then I step in and fit the pieces together in a way that (hopefully) satisfies everybody. Maybe we won't run into the Too Many Cooks problem if we have a head chef. Yes?

The Recent Kick:

I should probably address the situation just to explain my reasoning. I would encourage you all to read the posts by the person who was kicked and the situation that got them kicked. I didn't kick them for disagreeing with me. I kicked them because their contributions revolved around a single source material and, when I joked about it, it turned out they literally wanted a world based on that material with just a few minor changes (based on their preferences, of course). When I made clear that wasn't gonna happen and perhaps they weren't the best fit for the RP, they were visibly miffed. When I gave a warning, the correct move on their part would have been to take it as the ceiling preventing the situation from heightening any further, apologize, and move on. They proceeded to call me names.

What got them kicked was their antagonistic attitude. I will not tolerate anything of the sort, especially since I'm trying to avoid being disrespectful myself. I want to be a better, nicer person, especially with people who I disagree with. If you get a warning from me, it's not an insult or a threat. It is a "check yourself" nudge. Take a step away from the computer, breathe, and come back when you are cooled off and will not describe others, their ideas, or their actions with disrespectful language ("dumb", "lame", etc.). And of course, you are all welcome to nudge me. I need to be held accountable, too.

And now that we're done with housekeeping, my ideas:

Names:

In my mind, our system probably has hella names. Think about all the different names for spiritual energy that exist: vibes, chi, chakra, etc. As magic developed all over the world, different cultures probably had the same findings and called it by different names. Personally, I don't think we need something more "magical sounding". If you guys want it, obviously we'll think of something. For now, let's use whatever fits the concept first and foremost. Name sounds like something at the bottom of the to-do list.

The Second Dimension:

Morzone's Frequency pitch is a great basis, but Sprite is right in that it needs a second dimension. Here's what I propose (note: I'm a nerd and it's about to get nerdy): right now, I feel our frequency is drawing from the electromagnetic spectrum. The higher the frequency, the more energy and the more powerful (or damaging) the radiation. Microwaves and radio waves have a lower frequency than x-rays and gamma rays. But what if we stepped away from that? What if, instead, we drew our frequency from sound? (Note: I'm also a musician and it's about to get loud) Sound waves also use frequency, but higher frequency doesn't mean louder sound, it means a higher pitch. The sound of the note C4 (the C right in the center of a piano) has a frequency of 261.63 Hz while the note next to it, D4, has a higher frequency and therefore a higher pitch. That doesn't make it louder, it just makes it different. If you want the sound to be louder, you add the second dimension: volume (AKA amplitude).

In other words, our magic could have frequency as category and amplitude/volume as strength (we can use different terms later, just go along with it for now).
Graphs-of-sound-waves20151209-28053-22a00i.jpg

I say we have a finite number of frequencies (it doesn't have to be 12 but I think that's our number for now), these are the different magical disciplines. Then you have amplitude, which would be infinite. You can always technically have stronger magic. Each creature, however, probably has physical limitations to how much they can handle without just, like, imploding.

And then "spells" would be Morzone's Command idea, which I really liked. Magician concentrates on something they want to happen and it happens, more concentration and skill for higher amplitude. The Magicians and Harry Potter both had instances where people who didn't know they were witches/wizards (mostly children) did things magically without meaning to simply through force of will. I like that and, if we decide all humans are capable of magic in our world, we can use that. All of us can do low amplitude stuff, like when we for some reason can tell that someone is lying, or when we start humming the song our friend was singing in their head, or when we pull super-human strength stuff in times of danger. (I remember clearly somebody bringing this up before but I looked for the post and can't find it for the life of me :-_-lines:) But higher amplitude stuff takes more training and skill, or even as TableCloth brought up, sacrifices because of the whole Law of Conservation. Maybe the highest Grand Masters have no families or emotions because they give it up to achieve higher levels of magic (the same way the Jedi give up earthly ties or, in real life, monks fast or swear celibacy)

Last edited:
Names:

In my mind, our system probably has hella names. Think about all the different names for spiritual energy that exist: vibes, chi, chakra, etc. As magic developed all over the world, different cultures probably had the same findings and called it by different names. Personally, I don't think we need something more "magical sounding". If you guys want it, obviously we'll think of something. For now, let's use whatever fits the concept first and foremost. Name sounds like something at the bottom of the to-do list.

The Second Dimension:

Morzone's Frequency pitch is a great basis, but Sprite is right in that it needs a second dimension. Here's what I propose (note: I'm a nerd and it's about to get nerdy): right now, I feel our frequency is drawing from the electromagnetic spectrum. The higher the frequency, the more energy and the more powerful (or damaging) the radiation. Microwaves and radio waves have a lower frequency than x-rays and gamma rays. But what if we stepped away from that? What if, instead, we drew our frequency from sound? (Note: I'm also a musician and it's about to get loud) Sound waves also use frequency, but higher frequency doesn't mean louder sound, it means a higher pitch. The sound of the note C4 (the C right in the center of a piano) has a frequency of 261.63 Hz while the note next to it, D4, has a higher frequency and therefore a higher pitch. That doesn't make it louder, it just makes it different. If you want the sound to be louder, you add the second dimension: volume (AKA amplitude).

In other words, our magic could have frequency as category and amplitude/volume as strength (we can use different terms later, just go along with it for now).
I'm throwing in a vote for "Magical Spectrum" as an over-all term, and "stratum" as the term for individual layers.

As much as it seems initially to make sense to use wave based measurements to compliment the frequency basis, I think that method is too quantitative, too numerical to be able to describe why one type of magic is different than another. Like frequency, Amplitude is a 1-dimensional measurement. You either have more, or you have less. Up and down, while there's no left or right to it, which is a problem since we're trying to define a multitude of different types of magic. It would be better (If you want to stick with Mathematical terms) look at this not in 2 dimensions, but 3. Assuming the Z axis (height) is power, the spectrum for different types of magic need both the X and Y axis to allow for the proper omnidirectional multi-functionality that magic can span.

Now, all that said, I think we should actually avoid using mathematical measurements to describe why the different magic types are what they are. Rather, I think we need to take the mindset in the other direction and look at something with more suspension of disbelief.

As an idea: When I was initially pitching the frequency levels idea, I described the 12 magical frequencies as "energized realities that on their own are too unstable to support existence as we know it." Now, that explanation merely applies to Frequencies 1-12, so they are essentially a sort of inter-reality energy that magicians can manipulate to cast magic. However, this does not apply to "frequency 0," the frequency of reality that everyone normally lives in and can "sustain existence as we know it." Which brought a question to my mind: "What do I mean by 'Existence as we know it' ?" Well initially I thought of it in terms of matter. Solids, liquids, gas, plasma, etc. Existence matter that can exist in a stable manner because reality is at a low enough frequency to not tear it into nothingness.

But then I thought, "But what if its not? What if Stable matter, and the interactions between different kinds of stable matter, are actually the result of a multitude of different existential forces that have found a miraculous sweet spot in "frequency 0" that allows them to mesh together into "existence as we know it." If there are a multitude of "forces of existence" that have managed to stabilize with each other in our level of reality, then logically when we force Frequencies from a higher reality into our own, the resulting magic is not actually our reality being changed, but rather its the forces of existence being disrupted from their usual passive state. All you would have to do is disrupt the correct Existential force, do it in the correct way, with the correct amount of energy, and you have what we would call Magic. (It sounds horribly complicated/difficult when I say it like that, but its not that different to saying "Throw the correct ball, throw it in the right direction, and throw it with the right amount of strength for the receiver to catch it) Now I think there's probably a better and perhaps more simple way to structure and explain the idea of a multitude of "forces of existence" but I like the idea over all.

I'm throwing in a vote for "Magical Spectrum" as an over-all term, and "stratum" as the term for individual layers.

As much as it seems initially to make sense to use wave based measurements to compliment the frequency basis, I think that method is too quantitative, too numerical to be able to describe why one type of magic is different than another. Like frequency, Amplitude is a 1-dimensional measurement. You either have more, or you have less. Up and down, while there's no left or right to it, which is a problem since we're trying to define a multitude of different types of magic. It would be better (If you want to stick with Mathematical terms) look at this not in 2 dimensions, but 3. Assuming the Z axis (height) is power, the spectrum for different types of magic need both the X and Y axis to allow for the proper omnidirectional multi-functionality that magic can span.

Now, all that said, I think we should actually avoid using mathematical measurements to describe why the different magic types are what they are. Rather, I think we need to take the mindset in the other direction and look at something with more suspension of disbelief.

As an idea: When I was initially pitching the frequency levels idea, I described the 12 magical frequencies as "energized realities that on their own are too unstable to support existence as we know it." Now, that explanation merely applies to Frequencies 1-12, so they are essentially a sort of inter-reality energy that magicians can manipulate to cast magic. However, this does not apply to "frequency 0," the frequency of reality that everyone normally lives in and can "sustain existence as we know it." Which brought a question to my mind: "What do I mean by 'Existence as we know it' ?" Well initially I thought of it in terms of matter. Solids, liquids, gas, plasma, etc. Existence matter that can exist in a stable manner because reality is at a low enough frequency to not tear it into nothingness.

But then I thought, "But what if its not? What if Stable matter, and the interactions between different kinds of stable matter, are actually the result of a multitude of different existential forces that have found a miraculous sweet spot in "frequency 0" that allows them to mesh together into "existence as we know it." If there are a multitude of "forces of existence" that have managed to stabilize with each other in our level of reality, then logically when we force Frequencies from a higher reality into our own, the resulting magic is not actually our reality being changed, but rather its the forces of existence being disrupted from their usual passive state. All you would have to do is disrupt the correct Existential force, do it in the correct way, with the correct amount of energy, and you have what we would call Magic. (It sounds horribly complicated/difficult when I say it like that, but its not that different to saying "Throw the correct ball, throw it in the right direction, and throw it with the right amount of strength for the receiver to catch it) Now I think there's probably a better and perhaps more simple way to structure and explain the idea of a multitude of "forces of existence" but I like the idea over all.
That was a really sophisticated way of saying "No to your thing, here's my thing instead" XD

I like your idea but there's a big issue staring us in the face. If there's this miraculous sweet spot where different forces have managed to balance (being a nerd, I'm thinking of noble gases that no longer react because they're so stable), wouldn't you, in crass terms, fuck up our shit if you destabilized it by disrupting one Force or another?

Also, the plural of "stratum" is "strata". I'm also a geology nerd. :P

Better Sophisticated than Rude, besides I only came to that conclusion because I spent time looking at different ways you could use amplitude to describe multiple different things and couldn't find any. It was the logical first approach after all.

As for F-ing up our Shit, I would say that the scale of the existential forces and the reality frequencies is much, much, MUCH larger and more powerful than magicians could hope to manipulate. Back in my initial pitch, you'll remember I talked a few times on "rampant magic" If we follow this new theory, Rampant Magic is run-away Frequency energy breaking up the usually stable Existence forces. But I also mentioned that the rampant magic only lasted as long as it took for the energy to spend itself out. The reason for this is that the existence forces Are far too powerful to be broken up by any amount of Reality frequency energy a Magician would be able to summon. Its like tossing a rock into a river, it'll make a splash and ripple, but in a mere moment the flowing river will be back to its usual course as though nothing happened.

Also, to address a loophole in which someone would simply claim they could continually inject high-frequency energy into normal reality for an near indefinite period of time until something meaningful broke, Casting magic for long periods of time would have serious mortal consequences, and the magician would eventually end up over-powered and consumed by the magic itself.

Better Sophisticated than Rude, besides I only came to that conclusion because I spent time looking at different ways you could use amplitude to describe multiple different things and couldn't find any. It was the logical first approach after all.

As for F-ing up our Shit, I would say that the scale of the existential forces and the reality frequencies is much, much, MUCH larger and more powerful than magicians could hope to manipulate. Back in my initial pitch, you'll remember I talked a few times on "rampant magic" If we follow this new theory, Rampant Magic is run-away Frequency energy breaking up the usually stable Existence forces. But I also mentioned that the rampant magic only lasted as long as it took for the energy to spend itself out. The reason for this is that the existence forces Are far too powerful to be broken up by any amount of Reality frequency energy a Magician would be able to summon. Its like tossing a rock into a river, it'll make a splash and ripple, but in a mere moment the flowing river will be back to its usual course as though nothing happened.

Also, to address a loophole in which someone would simply claim they could continually inject high-frequency energy into normal reality for an near indefinite period of time until something meaningful broke, Casting magic for long periods of time would have serious mortal consequences, and the magician would eventually end up over-powered and consumed by the magic itself.
Amplitude doesn't have to mean multiple different things. Frequency is the type of magic, Amplitude is the strength of the magic. Easy, simple.

I like your idea, and I like my idea. Let's get feedback from the others to see what sticks ^^

That was aggressive and this is your warning.

Not something to be proud of.

Sprite Pepsi Sprite Pepsi and anyone else who feels this way, including myself:

We definitely all have different visions for this world and it can be disheartening when no one else seems to be on board with your vision, especially if everyone else seems to be agreeing and you're the odd one out. I've felt that way this whole time and I'm the GM! Always know that your input is important and valued. This world is going to be an amalgamation of ALL of our visions. While this means we will all contribute, it also means we will all have to leave behind ideas we had if they don't work. Working in a team means compromise. Fortunately, I think we're all more than capable of that.

Sprite, the fact that you're concerned that you might encroach on other people's fun is exactly the kind of energy I want on this team, someone who is considerate and even willing to step back if it feels necessary. I would really, really hate to see you go. Your contributions have been great and I don't want to lose a creative mind.

Avoiding "Too Many Cooks":

I think the key here is for me to take a bit more of a leadership role. So our brainstorming can work like this: everybody throws out their visions, pitches, and ideas at the wall, team discusses and develops ideas and angles that stick. Then I step in and fit the pieces together in a way that (hopefully) satisfies everybody. Maybe we won't run into the Too Many Cooks problem if we have a head chef. Yes?

The Recent Kick:

I should probably address the situation just to explain my reasoning. I would encourage you all to read the posts by the person who was kicked and the situation that got them kicked. I didn't kick them for disagreeing with me. I kicked them because their contributions revolved around a single source material and, when I joked about it, it turned out they literally wanted a world based on that material with just a few minor changes (based on their preferences, of course). When I made clear that wasn't gonna happen and perhaps they weren't the best fit for the RP, they were visibly miffed. When I gave a warning, the correct move on their part would have been to take it as the ceiling preventing the situation from heightening any further, apologize, and move on. They proceeded to call me names.

What got them kicked was their antagonistic attitude. I will not tolerate anything of the sort, especially since I'm trying to avoid being disrespectful myself. I want to be a better, nicer person, especially with people who I disagree with. If you get a warning from me, it's not an insult or a threat. It is a "check yourself" nudge. Take a step away from the computer, breathe, and come back when you are cooled off and will not describe others, their ideas, or their actions with disrespectful language ("dumb", "lame", etc.). And of course, you are all welcome to nudge me. I need to be held accountable, too.

And now that we're done with housekeeping, my ideas:

Names:

The Second Dimension:

I say we have a finite number of frequencies (it doesn't have to be 12 but I think that's our number for now), these are the different magical disciplines. Then you have amplitude, which would be infinite. You can always technically have stronger magic. Each creature, however, probably has physical limitations to how much they can handle without just, like, imploding.

And then "spells" would be Morzone's Command idea, which I really liked. Magician concentrates on something they want to happen and it happens, more concentration and skill for higher amplitude. The Magicians and Harry Potter both had instances where people who didn't know they were witches/wizards (mostly children) did things magically without meaning to simply through force of will. I like that and, if we decide all humans are capable of magic in our world, we can use that. All of us can do low amplitude stuff, like when we for some reason can tell that someone is lying, or when we start humming the song our friend was singing in their head, or when we pull super-human strength stuff in times of danger. (I remember clearly somebody bringing this up before but I looked for the post and can't find it for the life of me :-_-lines:) But higher amplitude stuff takes more training and skill, or even as TableCloth brought up, sacrifices because of the whole Law of Conservation. Maybe the highest Grand Masters have no families or emotions because they give it up to achieve higher levels of magic (the same way the Jedi give up earthly ties or, in real life, monks fast or swear celibacy)
I wrote up a whole thing on that... Yes >.>

I didn't think it really mattered!!! You guys were going in, and it caught no ones interest Dx

I'm really glad you recalled it though, and would happily type it back at a moment's notice.

The basic idea anyway, I can't put it exactly as it was...
Don't delete stuff! Everything counts, that's the point of brainstorming. Maybe not everything will stick but it's still good to keep everything out there~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back