Advice/Help tips for getting back into writing/roleplaying?

threadz

am i the stereotype yet
okay i'm sure we've all been in this position before, where- for one reason or another- we just like, completely stop doing anything creative.

that is EXACTLY where i am right now. and it DOUBLY sucks because the two (2) friends that i used to rp with? aren't really into that scene anymore. i'm here, all alone stranded on my island of roleplayless solitude.

so?? here begs the question.

How the hell do I get back into roleplaying?

i'm busy as hell. picky as hell (my list of roleplay partner requirements is a mile long and each requirement is more irrational than the previous), the topics i like to write about are weird, niche, and quite frankly disturbing. i'm in like, no fandoms, and i have writers block to the point where writing like half a paragraph's worth of nothing but me complaining has taken upwards of 20 minutes.

writing is something i really enjoy, but i haven't given it the time of day since like, last spring. your bitch needs someone to give her a step by step wiki how about getting back into it.

Alright, since you wanted a step by step wiki, I tried to make this response in steps. However, I have to warn you this: You ain't gonna achieve your goals, realistically speaking, unless you are able to bring yourself to compromise. I don't know your exact list of things you like to roleplay or partner requirements, but I know from being myself rather picky about my partners and having really niche cravings that you will often have no choice but to give a little bit of it up at least. That, or go without proper roleplaying.

Follow these steps to have partners, but I ain't saying it's gonna be easy.

1. Find a consistent spot in your schedule for roleplay.
Busy or not, you need free time to be able to roleplay. If you don't have the time at all, then it's already a failure. If you do have the time, do your best to make it consistent. This will help you get in the zone for writing as our bodies more easily adjust to consistent habits.

2. Don't just sit around- go around asking and negotiate
One of the biggest pitfalls many people fall into is just posting an interest check without persistently looking at other people's interest checks, especially those beyond the first page. RPers in 1x1 cycle quickly, so you NEED to look at least in like the first 7-10 pages to actually get a grasp of a decent sample most of the time. If you are as specific as you suggest, then you can't wait for that incredibly specific combo to come to you- you have to try going to THEM as well.

Furthermore, sometimes people will just barely pass your requirements, if not for one little thing. With those, try seeing if that little thing is negotiable. If it isn't, politely apologize for wasting their time and move on. But if it IS negotiable, you may just have found yourself a new partner!

3.Discipline and commitment are key
Everybody loves a passionate partner. You have to be that passionate partner. Do you want to roleplay for something very specific? Have you found it? Then make sure you cherish it and fullheartedly commit to it. It's not worth this much work if it's something you'll give up on being excited about the second there is a slow moment.

And in comes the discipline. If you start failing to post consistently or properly, then not only will roleplaying consume MORE time because of the stiffness you'll create in yourself, but your partner will be also displeased and discouraged from staying with you. If you're too busy to have freedoom of schedule, then "I don't feel like writing right now" is not an option- after all it's now or never.

4.You WILL fail, but that is not a reason to give up
If you have very specific requirements, then it may seem to take forever to even find a partner- and once you do, it may be even harsher to see them leave or ghost you. However, ghosting happens to everyone and partners leaving may just mean you are not compatible with them. It's sort of inevitable. If you want to roleplay, then you will have to grow a thicker skin when it comes to it and learn to move quickly if necessary.

5.(optional) Keep an open mind
As I mentioned at the beggining, one way to improve your chances of success when it comes to roleplaying is to be open to changing your requirements a little or trying something you normally wouldn't. When it comes to your inhibitions and player choice, you are your own worst enemy. Now, I will not tell you to change your preferences. Lord knows that isn't someone can just do with a click of the fingers. But, if you truly want to up your chances, being open to trying things in ways you normally wouldn't is one surefire way to improve those odds.

I hope you find this useful, or at least an enjoyable read. Best of luck and happy Rping! <3

Idea Idea gave some good advice!
It may or may not work for you though. If you really have very little free time, you should consider if sacrificing sleep or other activities for writing is worth. When there is no balance you can get burnt out really fast simply because of exhaustion.

I have very little time myself and I'm constantly exhausted but my rp partners keep me motivated just by being nice people and fun to talk to. Maybe that will work for you as well, if you find something or someone that will inspire you.

Alright, since you wanted a step by step wiki, I tried to make this response in steps. However, I have to warn you this: You ain't gonna achieve your goals, realistically speaking, unless you are able to bring yourself to compromise. I don't know your exact list of things you like to roleplay or partner requirements, but I know from being myself rather picky about my partners and having really niche cravings that you will often have no choice but to give a little bit of it up at least. That, or go without proper roleplaying.

Follow these steps to have partners, but I ain't saying it's gonna be easy.

1. Find a consistent spot in your schedule for roleplay.
Busy or not, you need free time to be able to roleplay. If you don't have the time at all, then it's already a failure. If you do have the time, do your best to make it consistent. This will help you get in the zone for writing as our bodies more easily adjust to consistent habits.

2. Don't just sit around- go around asking and negotiate
One of the biggest pitfalls many people fall into is just posting an interest check without persistently looking at other people's interest checks, especially those beyond the first page. RPers in 1x1 cycle quickly, so you NEED to look at least in like the first 7-10 pages to actually get a grasp of a decent sample most of the time. If you are as specific as you suggest, then you can't wait for that incredibly specific combo to come to you- you have to try going to THEM as well.

Furthermore, sometimes people will just barely pass your requirements, if not for one little thing. With those, try seeing if that little thing is negotiable. If it isn't, politely apologize for wasting their time and move on. But if it IS negotiable, you may just have found yourself a new partner!

3.Discipline and commitment are key
Everybody loves a passionate partner. You have to be that passionate partner. Do you want to roleplay for something very specific? Have you found it? Then make sure you cherish it and fullheartedly commit to it. It's not worth this much work if it's something you'll give up on being excited about the second there is a slow moment.

And in comes the discipline. If you start failing to post consistently or properly, then not only will roleplaying consume MORE time because of the stiffness you'll create in yourself, but your partner will be also displeased and discouraged from staying with you. If you're too busy to have freedoom of schedule, then "I don't feel like writing right now" is not an option- after all it's now or never.

4.You WILL fail, but that is not a reason to give up
If you have very specific requirements, then it may seem to take forever to even find a partner- and once you do, it may be even harsher to see them leave or ghost you. However, ghosting happens to everyone and partners leaving may just mean you are not compatible with them. It's sort of inevitable. If you want to roleplay, then you will have to grow a thicker skin when it comes to it and learn to move quickly if necessary.

5.(optional) Keep an open mind
As I mentioned at the beggining, one way to improve your chances of success when it comes to roleplaying is to be open to changing your requirements a little or trying something you normally wouldn't. When it comes to your inhibitions and player choice, you are your own worst enemy. Now, I will not tell you to change your preferences. Lord knows that isn't someone can just do with a click of the fingers. But, if you truly want to up your chances, being open to trying things in ways you normally wouldn't is one surefire way to improve those odds.

I hope you find this useful, or at least an enjoyable read. Best of luck and happy Rping! <3

the fact you took your time to write all this?? makes you a literal angel tbh. ill keep all of this in mind, esp the scheduling part!! tysm!

the fact you took your time to write all this?? makes you a literal angel tbh. ill keep all of this in mind, esp the scheduling part!! tysm!
D'awww....ya flatter me. And overestimate as well.

Still, I'm glad to hear ya liked it at least :)

Yo do something easy, fun, and you enjoy writing about. Who gives a shit if it's cliche or tropey and you aren't writing tons of paragraphs. Just do something that ain't so demanding or stressful. Either a small casual group or an easy going on on one partner. But honestly do something you enjoy, and don't be scared to step out if it's just not a fit for you down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back