Other Times when you've put way too much work into something?

Error 420

One Thousand Club
Humour me, what are some things in your life that really didn't require that much effort but you wound up putting that much in regardless?

Back in June or August I got really into a series of websites by this one really obscure conspiracy theorist and I decided to, every single day for the next month or so, write a new blog post in the blog of Doctor Cameron Paisley, basically my idea of the ultimate soon-to-be mass murderer.

The blog (which contains some dark themes) can be found at Doctor Paisley Dictum: Archive and it's best to be read in chronological order. However, it's 40 posts of varying length, with a wordcount in the tens of thousands, so if it's not your cup of tea, continue reading this post.

I built like a really complex web of stories and concepts to tell this wacky story, and it took several hours to plan, several hours to research, and several hours to actually write. It's based on obscure theories, old scientific studies, and real accounts of certain events. The worst thing was that I have no clue how to actually pace out an ARG story like this nor how to actually run a tumblr blog properly, so I'm pretty sure the only people that saw it were the people I shared it with. It made something of a brief following among some personal friends, but they seem to have mostly forgotten about it.

The meticulousness with which I cut up fruits and veggies. Particularly bell peppers; I dutifully, surgically remove the pith. Also when cutting lime or lemon wedges I always cut off a bit of the top and bottom before cutting it in halves, and cutting smaller wedges from the halves. It'd probably be easier not to cut off the top and bottom.

The meticulousness with which I cut up fruits and veggies. Particularly bell peppers; I dutifully, surgically remove the pith. Also when cutting lime or lemon wedges I always cut off a bit of the top and bottom before cutting it in halves, and cutting smaller wedges from the halves. It'd probably be easier not to cut off the top and bottom.
Too true for me

boxed macaroni and cheese. this sounds ridiculous but i swear i put more effort into making the perfect boxed macaroni than i do into cooking any actual food. my friends and i even joke about it because when i visit i time how long it boils, i measure everything before, i have to make sure everythings perfect and i generally just put WAY too much effort into a kraft dinner.

Everything.

From managing a daily routine, to organizing my own room -- I am quite talented in this field,
somehow twisting everything to become more complicated as a task than they actually are.

Coloring books. I have a ton of adult coloring books, and ninety percent of the time I draw extra stuff onto the pages and color that to because... I actually don’t know why.

Well, I've been working on a game system for a VRMMROPG type RP for years now...and it's probably so complex it will probably not be something people will adhere to.

Yesterday I went to make my Dad's favorite cookies at their new house and when I realized the baking supplies was scattered in different places I reorganized the entire kitchen... top to bottom... It took about three time longer than the cookies themselves. The previous system wasn't even that bad it was just annoying to me.

Well, I've been working on a game system for a VRMMROPG type RP for years now...and it's probably so complex it will probably not be something people will adhere to.

Lol I've been working on a generally Victorian-era land battle resolution system, and of course working on simplifying it. I keep having to tell myself "No--NO. SIMPLE. KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID."

Lol I've been working on a generally Victorian-era land battle resolution system, and of course working on simplifying it. I keep having to tell myself "No--NO. SIMPLE. KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID."
Hehehe. In my case I'm not trying to make it simple, but I do recognize that being more complex will make it harder to adhere to. It's just that I have a set of contradicting goals, a game system and the freedom of freeform without loosing that "feel" of a game- and thus the solution itself is complex and expansive.

Ive been writing a Far Cry-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon crossover fic for almost three years now. I guess it balances out because I havent even completed the first chapter, mostly due to constant editing

My original story that has a lot of side info but I keep editing every chapter and it seems like I'll never complete it at this rate.
But it has extensive worldbuilding! As if worldbuilding was the main purpose of the story...

Worldbuilding. I'll spend hours and hours just designing intricate maps and politics and cultures and then forget to write an actual story for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back