• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Help Time to use BBCODE!

Hello! I am quite new using this kind of "coding" software. Could anybody help me to start or some tips or tricks?

Would be widely appreciated if you'd wish to help me.

Can be in PMS or here.

INTRODUCTION
Hello there!
Please bear with me! This thread may be lengthy due to attempting to explain some tips and tricks!
Note: This is not everything you need to know but just some ideas of how-to start out! I am not an expert and I may have explained things differently than most people.
But, I hope this helps you to understand a little bit ! I may miss a couple of things, for sure, so please feel free to ask any questions you have! And if anyone else can add on-to this, please feel free!
divider-png-tumblr-7.png

LINKS AND BRIEF EXPLANATION BBCode Center Directory and Information : In this area, Fable Fable has provided some very helpful information including a faq area, etiquettes, resources and tutorials, and coding threads made by members of the community!
  • In this thread, you'll be able to see all sorts of resources such as "color-picker" website links and how-to's and tutorials made by members of the community! I recommend browsing through this section at least a few times !

BBCode : If you're just starting out on how-to code, I honestly recommend checking out this simplistic style of coding first. BBCode uses tags such as [color=blue]text[/color] for you to code. But, please note: BBCode is very wonky, specific, and very, very easy to mess up. Because this coding style takes forever and a decade, many prefer to use the next coding option: BBCode+.

DIVS : DIV tags are used in both BBCode and BBCode+. DIVs will help you when transitioning from BBCode to BBCode+ because the way div works is much simpler than BBCode tags. [ DIVs will help with starting how to use BBCode+ since the div tag is also similar to HTML and CSS ]
  • BBCode makes you code this way: [bg=white][border=2px solid black]text here[/border][/bg]
  • DIVs will help you "summarize" and "narrow" this code into: [div=background-color: white; border: 2px solid black; color: black;]text here[/div].
    - As you can see, BBCode makes you code tags for each separate functions: background, border, text color ; on the other hand, DIVs just sums it up under one tag!​

BBCode+ : Using BBCode+, members are able to use more functions than your regular, simple BBCode can do.
For example: do you see those awesome transitions, animations, hover, and just different effects you see around the site? That coding is using BBCode+. In using BBCode+, understanding HTML and CSS will help [ BBCode+ is not HTML , CSS but similar ] because Lyro Lyro created this style of coding: BBCode+ to fit the formatted system and style of RPNation so members can have more options to play with coding.

TIPS AND TRICKS Please, please be patient in coding! It's going to be frustrating, it's going to make you want to pull your hair out, it's going to make you scream. However! The end results will be rewarding! Trying to learn something new can be confusing, hard, and rough, especially when you can't get the code to do what you want to do ! But, please, please try to keep calm and code on! I promise you're going to get the hang of it. I promise it's going to be worth it! It just takes time. You're not going to learn it in a day. But you're going to be successful !

Always, always turn off Rich-Text Editor! To turn off Rich Text Editor, click the "gear" symbol on the bar of this posting section. Once you see that "B", "I", "U" bar is opaque, you are using BBCode Editor. I recommend always turning RTE off because if you use BBCode , your codes will duplicate and it's going to be a world of frustration.
  • Note: Because you turn off RTE, that means you'll have to manually code each tags, even for the simplest functions like bolding your text, changing your text color, using italics, etc. You'll have to use the coding tags: [b]bold[/b] , [u]bold[/u], etc. etc.

BBCode? BBCode+? As mentioned above, BBCode and BBCode+ has it's different uses and function. One is more advanced than the other and it depends on what you are trying to do and how you want to learn ! If you want to dive right into BBCode+ , by all means, you definitely can ! It just depends on which you'd like to dive into first and learn more! Here is a brief summary of the difference between the two.
  • BBCode: For this style of coding you can make simple tabs, accordions, change the background color of your post, use borders, display images, float text, headers, scrolls, newspaper code, and etc.
  • DIV: For this style of coding, you can add a background image, specify your code's height and width , circular and square photo images, hidden scrolls, and all the same thing as BBCode [ except formatting the code is different ]
  • BBCode+ : For this more advanced style of coding, you can do hovers, transition from point a to point b, specialized tabs, animations, and etc. and everything else that BBCode and DIVs use.

ENDING REMARKSI hope this helped you and I'm so sorry for the lengthiness! If you want specific examples of the different coding styles RPN offers, I can definitely show you or if anyone who stumbles upon this thread, they can also help , add, and show you as well ! That being said, Happy Coding ! [ P.S. Please click on the links and look through those tutorials! It'll help a lot ! Also, you can use your private workshop to play with the codes! Only you and staff can see that section ! ]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back