• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy closed

Auren

7th Level Procrastinator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
closed

Last edited:
A lonely ship glided through the gentle brine approaching the town docks. Flocks of seagulls cried to announce their arrival. Men and women tended ropes and gears to close the ship's ivory sails. The gentle current would bring them safely to land soon. The ship fit perfectly along the line of other vessels tied to the docks. Sailors carried their sullen expressions with them as they set foot on land. No one seemed to remember how many days were spent at sea but the town still looked like it did the night they left. Distant house lights flicked through windows and mixed against the horizon with the fiery colors of the setting sun. "Home" they all comforted but it wasn't enough to draw the returning sailors away from the glowing tavern.

- Taver Music -

"Breanna, are you coming?" a tired man's voice called.

A young woman stumbled her way off of the boat. Notably, her hair and clothes clung to her skin, soaked from the sea. After a few days on the water, her legs always struggled to move properly despite the stable, solid Earth beneath her feet. Breanna braced herself for any embarrassment she might cause should she knock any of her crew members down on the way to the tavern. Babbling guests and drunken fools already filled every available space by the time Breanna made it into the building. The playful melodies of the bard's lute tempted her to dance and sing among strangers and friends but Breanna knew what she needed most was a tankard of beer.

Breanna climbed through the mass of bodies, tables, and chairs in the direction of the bar. She couldn't help but hear an argument break out over a game of cards. Breanna considered jumping in to help resolve the conflict but the players' table suddenly toppled over. Cards and small amounts of coins clattered to the ground. No telling who was the real winner now. It was definitely one way to settle an argument for sure. Some of the witnesses grappled the ground for the fallen change. It gave Breanna an opportunity to get even closer to the tap. She was able to secure the final seat with just a few more strides. Some of the water in her hair was getting loose. Breanna grabbed the ends with both of her hands and twisted them to release small drips of seawater onto the floor beside her seat.

"Bartender!" she called. "Two drinks please."

Breanna drowned her gullet in the fresh served beer as if her will to live depended on it. The beer was soothing and cooling just as she had hoped, and in that particular moment, the fair-skinned bartender was equal to a goddess.

"Thanks, I needed that," Breanna sighed. She took a brief moment to listen to the bartender's offer of food. Looking around, Breanna noticed many hot plates of various kinds of seafood coupled with grains and vegetables. The aromas were savory. Spices and flavors were always limited to the ocean. The longer her thoughts lingered, the more her mouth watered, and the hungrier she felt. Now that her thirst for beer was on the cure, having a warm meal to go with the remaining tankard didn't sound too bad.

"Hmm, okay, I'll have a dish of lobster tail with the usual sides and extra butter," she ordered. Breanna knew that there would have been a fresh catch of the day still left over. She even overheard some nearby sailors bragging about the weight. It was record breaking. Lobster bisque would have not been filling enough and she didn't carry enough coin in her pocket to enjoy a full lobster to herself. To her, the lobster tail was the perfect solution for this kind of situation.

She shuffled her hair around some more, hoping to release the salt that still stuck, while she waited for her meal to be delivered. Lots of conversations surrounded her about the day's events. Fishermen were met with success in the afternoon and a group of merchants drowned their feelings in alcohol over a lost shipment of luxury goods. Lots of false forecasts had been made about the weather, which was something that could easily throw off any sailor's day. It might have also explained Breanna's drenched state but she was the only member of her crew who appeared sodden.

Breanna smiled when the bartender asked the ultimate question. Someone finally noticed, eh? A contorted expression briefly fluttered across her face as she thought about what to say. Perhaps she could make it interesting. Her foolish comrades threw her overboard as part of a slick prank. She willingly jumped overboard to save the last casket of the crew's rum. She challenged a crew member to see "who-could-drown-the-slowest". Or maybe she angered an ancient sea monster from its slumber after running the ship off course.

"There's not much of a story," Breanna decided to admit with a grin still on her face. "The sea is fickle sometimes. She sent a tall wave onto the decks of our ship and I was standing in the middle of it all." Breanna tugged at her clothing which were starting to stiffen against her skin. "And there weren't that many fish to speak of," she added. "I wondered if it was the time of year but my father- the helmsman I mean, confirmed that there has been a decline to the population for the past few years or so now." But maybe the bartender already knew that. Their supply of food did come from the fishermen in the town afterall.

Breanna tugged once more at her shirt without realizing where she had placed her elbow. The second tankard of beer she had ordered took a hit and the remaining contents spilled onto a platter of fish and mashed potatoes. It didn't take long for the young woman to learn what she had done. A red-faced man glared at her offended. He had every right to be mad about his ruined meal, Breanna couldn't blame him, but did he really have to involve his dagger of all things? Bar chairs scuffled against the wooden floor and the music from the bards paused when more people saw the unconcealed weapon. Breanna couldn't be bothered with this kind of conflict and knocked the weapon away from the man's grip. It was easy enough considering how drunk he had made himself.

"I'll order you another meal and I'll even add your own drink… separate of course," she tried to please. The man's mood had not improved but at least he sat back down in his chair now. Breanna relaxed too and faced the bartender again. "Could I, uhm, have two more drinks please? One is for our burly friend over here."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back