Story Through The Woods (In-depth backstory for one of my OC's)

Beauty_Foool

Friendly Neighborhood Crackhead
Here, I'll be posting parts of the story I've recently been busy writing and I hope to get feedback/constructive criticism from you guys!
I hope that you'll all be able to read with an open mind considering how the story could potentially be a bit triggering for some, but if there is anything wrong or if you need a trigger warning, don't be afraid to let me know!

And with that, I'll go on to the story!

>>Chapter One: How It All Started<<
Megan was born on May 24th under the name Banshee. At the time, she had been the third child to her mother, Ashley, and her rather questionable father, Eric. She had an older sister named Amaya, four years old when Megan was born while the oldest, Leo, had been six. Three years later and surprise, Megan’s mother gave birth to two more girls. She named one April and the other Dawnelle.

One day on a rather warm day in mid-July, Megan, a rather short person for a girl her age, had been outside, sitting in the grass while talking to her two youngest sisters. Her curly, sandy brown hair met her shoulders in ringlets as she placed her hands in her lap. She had worn her usual casual outfit, a black tee paired with black leggings and worn-out shoes. Her sisters weren't twins but there was only a year difference between their ages and they were born on the same month, day, and almost the same time! Whenever Megan had tried to tell them that they didn't have to act like twins they simply looked at her confused. They never meant to but always seemed to do the same things or have the same ideas. Those two were pretty much like the kinds of twins you could expect in a Hollywood movie.

Both of them were sitting beside each other with a light-colored pair of shorts and a checkered white and black jacket, zipped up. April wore her hood on her head, covering up her short blond hair while Dawnelle kept hers down, exposing her hair, colored similarly to her ‘twin's’ she had put it back into a neat ponytail. Megan could remember that morning, having waited for her to finish it before all three of them could go outside. The girls laughed and ran around all day, so the small bunch decided to take a break and sit down. Leo was in a field at the time, a good walk away from the house where they lived. He was training with whom Megan had started to notice as his favorite, Amaya. Leo’s dad usually practiced combat and basic strategies every Sunday in the same place he was right now. After Leo mastered the skill or understood the lesson taught to him by his father, he would teach Amaya them. That was how they bonded and when they went to go train alone they usually wouldn't go back home till sundown.

The children's mom had just finished cleaning and cooking and walked out the front door that led into the kitchen. Standing on the small ivory porch that wrapped around the sides of the house, she looked out at April, Dawnelle, and Megan with a smile. She loved that they always got along and could be found doing things together almost all the time. She then leaned on the railing that lined the edge of the porch and called them inside. “Dinner’s ready kids, come inside if you want it hot!” She walked back inside, keeping the door open for them as she then began setting the table.

The small group of girls that had been giggling in the grass heard her call out and hurried to their feet .“Race you!” Dawnelle yelled out then took off at a full sprint towards the house. Megan laughed before following her, right on her tail. “H-hey wait no fair!!” April ran behind Megan and by the time she had caught up, they had already been seated. Megan and Dawn didn’t seem tired or winded in the slightest and they turned to April. “Wait, come sit here!” Megan tapped a chair that had been placed to the right of her while jumping in her seat. April ran around the table and sat down in her seat just as Amaya and Leo entered the kitchen.

Amaya had on a pair of dark, ripped jeans and her faded black t-shirt on with her red and black jacket tied around her waist. Her long black hair that had once been styled into a messy bun the same morning had been let down, reaching her lower back. Leo had been in his hoodie with sweatpants. He would always refuse to wear anything else. No one knew why since he never told them the exact reason but then again… no one pushed for an answer. Their mother gave them her usual kind and welcoming smile as she started to move bowls and plates of food with large spoons like ladles placed on them.

The two kids took a seat at the table when out of what seemed like the bathroom, came their dad. He tossed his short, messy hair to the side of his face and kissed his wife’s cheek then sat at the edge of the table. He wasted no time and used the spoons and forks provided to put the food that had been placed on the table onto his plate.

Dinner that night had been particularly quiet which was odd since it would normally be filled with all types of conversations. Megan had also noticed how unusually tired her dad looked. He had always been excitable and full of energy but she said nothing about it. He could just be having a bad day right? Nothing too serious...Hopefully. Megan thought to herself as she took a long sip of water from the clear plastic cup that had been placed by her plate.

When everyone finished eating and washed their dishes, the group of children was on their way to their rooms so they could turn in for the night. “Kids.. come here please?” Her smile had now been gone, leaving no trace of it. Instead, she looked...Sad? But why would she be sad? Dawnelle and April caught an exasperated sigh escape from her as she spoke and they both exchanged worried glances then they, with Megan, Amaya, and Leo stood in front of her.

The mother knelt and sat on her knees so that she could meet every one of their eyes. “Uhm- What do you need mom?” Leo asked with clear confusion in his voice as he looked back at her. “Is something wrong?” April questioned almost seconds after her brother said something. The lady could only smile and hugged everyone as tight as she could, tears starting to well up in the corners of her eyes. She tried to blink them away but it only made them fall faster. She pulled away as a few escaped tears ran down her cheek. She then reached for her neck and unhooked a gold necklace that held a raindrop-shaped diamond in the middle. She handed it to Amaya and then inhaled deeply before standing. “I love you all… I promise you I really do…..” She then blinked a few times as if pulling herself out of a daze then clapped her hands together. “You should all get to bed now…” She then said stiffly as she turned and walked out the kitchen and into her room. Their father followed behind.

Leo didn't know what to think about his mother's rather strange actions but it made him uncomfortable and feel uneasy. As he looked at his siblings, they looked at the necklace that she had placed in the eldest sister's hands. The same necklace she never took off, the only thing that was left after a devastating incident…. The only thing she had left of her past. The kids then all looked up at each other and saw how they all wore the same look of confusion and concern. They stood in the kitchen by the polished, granite table until Amaya finally broke the silence. "We should get to bed…" The confused look she had was gone, leaving an unreadable expression. Leo nodded in agreement, "Yeah I agree with Amaya." Dawnelle and April stared at him, Megan shaking her head. "Go to bed… How can we sleep after all that?" She asked as her voice slightly rose. Leo narrowed his eyes, "Mom said to go to bed… So we go…" He couldn't deny that he hadn't been curious but he ignored it and walked out the kitchen, down the hall, and into his bedroom.

The girls went into their rooms and within an hour they had all been fast asleep. Well everyone except Leo. He had been too put off about what happened at dinner so he stayed up, laying in his bed, staring at the ceiling in deep thought.

>>Chapter Two: Then It Happened<<
April and Dawnelle were left speechless as they watched the neon green flames burn bright and high. Amaya, being deeply shaken, felt the need to hide it as best as she could to try and comfort her smaller sisters. All except one. While Amaya had been holding Dawnelle and April, Leo had been standing in front of them, separating the three girls from Megan. He cast a hard glare her way, paying little attention to the raging fire that seemed to only grow. Megan could only stare back at her brother, her eyes watering from the strong swirl of emotions the situation triggered in her.

“Don’t expect me to do anything for you after this!” His fists were clenched tightly, nails digging into the palm of his hands while he struggled to contain his anger. On the inside, he was torn up, close to tears but he couldn’t let them spill. He had to stay strong for his sisters. If he couldn’t even control his own emotions, how would he be able to protect them? “Get out of here….I don’t need monsters like you around what’s left of my family.” Megan stayed silent even though she wanted to leave. No matter how bad she wanted to run into the forest and let the tears spill, she couldn’t move her body. “D-Dylan please…” That was all she could manage. She couldn’t lose her family now. Not when she needed them so much right now.

Dylan only scoffed and took Amaya by the wrist and she went to grab onto the twins as they walked off led by the young boy. Amaya however couldn’t shake the feeling of guilt and a part of her wanted to take Megan with her since she was also her sister. It was only natural for her to feel strongly tempted to protect her. But Dylan wanted nothing to do with her now so Amaya felt as if she had to follow that, leaving Megan with a look of aching guilt before turning around.

Megan watched as they all disappeared into the forest without another word and the tears finally spilled over, her hands clenching onto her chest as she felt the real pain of her heart breaking. This was it. Still wrapping her head around the mess she had somehow gotten herself into, the fire had grown to nearly burning the skin off the girl. With her eyes shut tight, Megan ran off in the opposite direction of woods that her siblings had gone off and didn’t stop until the smoke disappeared behind the pine trees that surrounded the woods around her.

Megan dropped to her knees instantly and covered her face with her hands, warm tears of shock and heartbreak rolling down her face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back