• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Threading Scales

Characters
Here

Calibutcher

Did you think me Defeated?!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Threading scales takes place in the futuristic city of Token, a place where magic and science have found a strange blend of coexistence. Dragons and firearms are often used together in a grand function. Flying cars powered by magic artifacts and talismans that break the rules of physics and time itself. At the heart of the city, Token lies grand machines that cast vast shadows across the landscape of the city and surrounding country. THe constant thrum of the engines powers people's need for electricity. People work to thrive, steal, and die in this vast metropolis. Yet the pastime that has begun to unite people to a cause and gain more revenue for Token than anything else. Dragon Threading. An extreme form of racing that uses dragons and cybernetics as well as weapons to pit racers against each other. The city of Token is littered with the beacons and obstacles used in Dragon Threading. Dragons flying across the sky and running through the streets are treated like celebrities with their riders. The ultimate goal for Dragon Threaders, to be part of the biggest race of all. Tonyas 20. Tonya was the first dragon threader who brought dragons back from the brink and saved dragonkind as a species. Previously only hunted for their rare materials, magic, and strong materials. Tonya thought they could be used for more. She tamed the first dragon and proved the species not only to be sentient but highly intelligent. They were also largely thrill-seekers. Being able to tame dragons was only possible due to Tonya being able to entertain the species with races. Dragon threading is not only entertainment for Humans. It is also entertainment for dragons.

Ingolfur growled into the mic. Dextra was doing well. He tapped at the monitor in front of him viewing different angles. Dextra and Falkor were in second place now stuck behind the lead dragon. A behemoth of a dragon named Ikor saddled down in heavy gear armor and bristling with guns. Several riders were on this dragon. A single rider lead the lead saddle helping guide the dragon two other riders sat on mounted guns attached along the rear spines and another rider sat below the neck of Ikor with a high-powered rifle. It was a flying fortress. Bullets rained around Falkor and Dextra. Speed was in favor of Falkor but passing the dragon would leave them open for too long to the hail of bullets. "You should wait for the next series of turns before you try to overtake Ikor. He will not be able to maneuver well enough to keep you out of his blind spot. Once you do pass him you still need to look out for the fire and the rifle on the front."

Dextra rolled her eyes as Ingolfur tried to tell her what to do as if he'd ever participated in one of these races before.

"Thanks for the advice Piki," she yelled back into comms, bullets whizzing past her, "But I think I can handle this on my own. Ikor knows about the turns and will not leave a window open. The best time to do this is now when we can catch him surprised."

Kicking her heel five times into Falkor's gut, she signaled him forward faster, aiming her gun toward Ikor.

"Tell Falkor to keep it steady," she ordered Ingolfur, "I'll try and get a hit on Ikor so we can pass him now."

Ingolfur winced at the nickname Dextra had started using with him since she found his name too difficult to pronounce. "That is not my name.."He growled before speaking to Falkor "She is going to try and pass the behemoth now before the turns. I think it is too risky but she says she is going to get a shot on Ikor. You should not do it."

Falkor sneered in reply, "I work with my rider, not you." The beat of his wings accelerated as he steadied his flight for a moment and increased his momentum.

"Bloody bones of my father!" Ingolfur swore with the mic off, he watched the screens in trepidation of what was to happen next.

Some random lady walked on by somewhatish near Ingolfur and jumped as he yelled into his mic and quickly got far away from the pit and to her own.

Dextra smirked as Falkor got faster, anticipating the fun part of these games, doing something absolutely stupid. Tapping three times on Flakor's scales, Dextra signaled she was about to get off, and quickly soon after leaped off Falkor. Soaring towards the ground, Dextra tapped her stomach twice, causing thin wings to shoot out from the torso's inseam. Dextra then quickly maneuvered her way towards Igor's rider, preparing to kick him off.

Cheers soared from the crowd as they registered what Dextra doing for this was her signature move. Once landing on someone's dragon they had no choice to fight or risk losing a wing, something that was very costly to replace. Dextra had gained quite the reputation for taking down teams through this risky tactic, causing fans of Threading to nickname her "The Black Menace".

Latching onto Igor's wing, Dextra flipped onto the dragon's main body landing black widow style. She slowly withdrew her Katana, enjoying the fear laced across the rider's face as she slowly got up into a fighting stance. Pressing her weight into her back foot Dextra grinned at the frightened man.

"Now, we can do this two ways," she spoke clearly, "The hard or the easy way. Please choose the hard way, it has been a while since my blade has been in combat, and we hardly ever lose."

The man had no reply and simply jumped off the dragon, landing into a safety net below.

"Pity," Dextra pouted, looking towards the coward "I really thought he was going to choose the second o-"

Suddenly, Dextra felt her body being lurched sideways, sending her flying off Igor. As she began to fall she could see a slight smile on the dragon's face who seemed to have known what she was going to do from the beginning. This was after all her signature move, and Igor's team had prepped against it.

"The curse of popularity," Dextra thought as she fell through the sky, wondering if the safety net was still there. [NEWS FLASH: It's not]

Ingolfur could only watch as Dextra and Falkor went ahead with the maneuver anyway, he grew even more irritated as they were doing the same bullheaded move that had won them races before. Falkor was quick, even by dragon Threading standards so for him to get over Igor and his rider to drop down was a simple enough task even among all the bullets. Falkor weaved about Igor and fell back a short distance getting ready for the great dragon to fall when his rider cut a wing loose.

Falkor saw one person fall and grinned as Ikor’s rider abandoned into a net below. He flew around a pillar just in time to see his rider tumble next as Ikor rolled.

Ingolfur saw the severity before Falkor did. “She is falling, Falkor catch her! There is no net.” To anyone listening in the pit nearby his speech was unknowable but the intensity of his speech made his intent clear. ‘Do this now.’

“I’ve got this” was Falkors reply. The dragon lurched forward at the next flap of his wings pushing gusts of air with every stroke. He closed in on Igor, first releasing a sonic blast then dove to retrieve his rider who was in freefall. He zoomed past her and flared his wings to catch her. There was the sound of a large crash and he saw a large shadow looming over them.

“Ikor is falling on top of you!” Ingolfur shouted in dragon then common.

Falkor twisted his body working to change direction as the leviathan dragon fell. Yet he could not entirely clear the beast as part of its wing stuck onto the spikes on his back. He flared out his wings to full extension trying to see if he could break the wing free but the weight was too great and a moment later one of his own wings caught rooftop shearing the limb free. A great roar released and moments later as he hit the ground blackness enveloped him.

“Falkor!” Ingolfur yelled and leapt from the pit mounting a hoverbike he traversed the course as quickly as he could. He leapt from the bike and pushed his way through emergency crews going to Falkor to check on him. The dragon was unconscious but still breathing. His wing bled heavily but already paramedics were getting torches ready to heat seal the wound. “Rest Falkor, this will hurt.” He stroked the dragons face with a tender hand.

Pain shot across Dextra’s forehead. Ringing shot through her ears. Her eyes fluttered open suddenly to blaring white lights. Memories began to slowly come back as Dextra slowly rose from the hospital bed, not all surprised to find SIleno and Astra, her friends and benefactors.

“You’re awake!” exclaimed Astra, springing out of her husband’s lap. “I’m so glad you’re okay.”

Dextra’s eyes switched to Sileno as Astra hugged her, ready for him to say some comment on her recklessness, as was custom after every race.

“How’s the dragon?” Dextra asked hesitantly.

“Falkor lost a wing,” Sileno replied coldly, “Ingolfur is furious.”

“When is he not furious?”

“Dextra, you were too reckless, you almost caused the guy to lose his relative. Heck I’m even furious with you,” Sileno’s voice began to get louder.

“Really?” Dextra smirked slightly, “I couldn’t tell.”

“Dextra, please don’t be that way,” Astra retorted quietly trying to diffuse the situation.

“It's not my fault Igor decided to kill me,” Dextra continued, “There wasn’t really much I could’ve done after I was kicked off his back.”

“Maybe don't even attempt the move in the first place,” Sileno spat back, “Then you don’t break ribs and your dragon’s wing. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to replace a wing?”

“I’m sure it's a notable sum,” Dextra replied, “but we knew when we put me in this that it would cost money.”

“Not when it's going to be spent carelessly,” Sileno sighted, “What am trying to say Dextra is that you’re cut off from the fund.”

Ingolfur stayed with Falkor the entire way. Falkor was moved to a Dragon care center where they could work with Falkor to help him heal. There was nothing to be done for his missing wing. While the cut was fairly clean, reattaching it was not an option. They would have to see what the sponsor would pay for as a replacement. If they even wanted to continue sponsoring them after this incident. Falkor was resting now thanks to the powerful sedatives supplied by dragon care but he could only imagine the pain from loss Falkor had yet to endure when he woke. He walked next to Falkor stroking gently along his cousin's scales. He paused next to the sheared-off wing. Only a bloody stump now seared closed to prevent infection and bleeding. Such a crucial part of his cousin. Now gone due to the stupidity of his rider Dextra. A low growl formed in his throat. "I will fix this Blood kin."

Ingolfur pulled out his comm device and sent two messages. One was to Dextra and one to Sileno. The message was the same for both of them. ‘We need to speak soon. Falkor will wake within a day. He will want answers as I do.”

Dextra grimaced as she tried to get off her bed, wanting to get out of the stuffy hospital room. She didn’t like hospitals all that much, they reminded her too much of her past. But that’s something we will get into later.

Astra and Sileno had left for home long ago, leaving Dextra alone. She liked being alone, it allowed to organize her thoughts on the day. Despite what Sileno may believe she did actually feel horrible for what happened to Falkor, only realizing now it was partially her fault.

“Dextra, you were too reckless.”

Sileno’s statement may have been simple, but it didn’t make it any less true. Now her funds are gone, she would have to get creative to get more money again. It didn’t help that the next day she was to meet with Ingolfur, who rightfully hated her right now. Dextra understood that what happened today was Dextra’s fault and she was determined to never let it happen again.

::::::

“So…” Dextra’s voice cut through the silent cafe, “Why have you called us here Ingolfur. Ready to chastise us?”

Astra nugged Dextra’s knee and gave her an aare you stupid? look. Sileno just put his head in his hand and let out a heavy sigh. Dextra stared into Ingolfur’s eyes, ready to fight.

Ingolfur stood up straight he wanted to look down at the foolish girl who had done his kin such harm. "I will not repeat what has been done, we know why I called you here. My question is simple. What is to be done about it?" Ingolfur stared down at Dextra. "What do you plan to do? Falkor will not be happy when he wakes. I need something to tell him."

Last edited:
“Tell Falkor training’s about to get a whole lot tougher,” Dextra places her head in her hands, “I don’t want any dragon beating us again, besides he’s going to have to learn how to win with only one wing.”

She sent a glare towards Sileno, not at all surprised to find him glaring back. Astra couldn’t help but chuckle at her friend’s animosity. She’d known Astra for years and had never seen her quite so serious about something. Sileno broke eye contact first and ignored the “ha!” he heard come out of Dexter's mouth.

“Do you have any ideas on how to do that Ingolfur?” Sileno asked, “It’s going to take me about 2 months to get the funds to replace Falkor’s wing, and you guys need to get back into Threading in less than 3 weeks or we don’t stand a chance at making it to finals.”

Ingolfur had his fists clenched ready to argue with the girl and use more than just words if she said anything foolish enough. His inner lid slid horizontally across his eyes as he awaited an answer. Her answer was enough for him to release the breath he had been holding. He held his gaze a few moments longer but finally stepped back. She still had the desire and drive to seek victory. This was better than expected, he had expected her to be willing to falter here or blame others for her mistakes. She did not know what steps to take forward yet but he and Falkor could make up for that. "That is an acceptable answer."

He turned to their benefactor as he was addressed and gave a curt bow to Sileno and Astra. "good evening Masters, I am pleased to hear you have plans still to restore Falkor to his full glory. A flightless dragon is a tragedy, helping him reach redemption will be a windy road." he glanced at Dextra as he stood. "for both rider and dragon."

He looked again to Sileno, "I've no ideas...." Ingolfur did something that he rarely found cause for he raised a corner of his mouth in a sly grin, almost more of a snarl than anything. "Though I do have plans. Sileno will you loan me 5,000 credits? I cannot tell you the purpose for the money only that I need it and will make it back to you in wins."

Dextra rolled her eyes at Ingolfur’s comment, not caring whether or not she had given a correct answer or not. What was he going to do, fight her. She could totally win in a fight against him, or so she thought. The further the conversation went on the more she had to stifle a laugh. It’s a funny sight seeing a lizard-like creature act so formally, it's 3024 after all. Dextra thought customs like that died along with the old world. A world before threading and dragons.

Sileno didn’t like Ingolfur’s sneer, it reminded him too much of the look Dextra got before she was about to do something absolutely stupid. But, what other choice did he have? He had a dragon without a wing, and to be honest Sileno was interested in how exactly Ingolfur planned to pull it off.

“Very well,” Sileno, transferred 5,000 credits into his hands from his phone, “I only ask you to bring us victory.”

Ingolfurs comm chimed as he received the money from Sileno. A hefty sum to some mere change to a man like Sileno. To Ingolfur it carried a weight. It was a promise and a debt. But it would serve a purpose. "Yess" He hissed as his 's' slipped out longer then he meant. "Victory." He gave a nod to the man and addressed Dextra. "meet me here tonight. Late." He messaged her and address near the docks where ships brought in goods. "We have work to do."
With a slight bow he dismissed himself and went out to prepare.

The late night air was much cooler than he preferred but he was dressed against the night in all black clothing. He leaned against the building he had told Dextra to meet him at and held a large duffle bag in one hand. He cupped his hands around his mouth and released a small jet of flame to warm himself. He didn't like being still and waiting but there was nothing for it until Dextra arrived.

"So," Dextra whistled out once Ingolfur was out of view, "You'll give lizard boy money but not me."

Astra gave Dextra an 'are you serious' look, sending yet another kick her way.

"Lizard boy isn't as reckless as you Dextra," Sileno replied, "And besides, I'm curious as to what he is going to do next."

"Let me guess," Dextra replied, picking up her latte, "You want me to accept his offer and join him."

"I thought you wanted to win Dextra," Sileno nodded her way, "This is the only way. I'll expect a report after your meeting with him. Try not to get into too much trouble."

"No promises," Dextra gathered the rest of her things and left, ending the meeting right then and there.

Dextra had absolutely no clue what to bring to her meeting with Ingolfur but assumed things were going to get messy. It was related to threading after all. Lacing her katana onto her belt she walked out the door, ready for blood.

Nearing the cafe, she prayed he'd at least let her get some caffeine in her before embarking on whatever the hell they were going to do. She let out a brief sigh when Ingolfur was revealed to be standing there already.

"So Piki," she stood 5 feet away arms crossed, "What exactly are we doing tonight."

"You decided to show..." He stood upright and looked down at the Threader, "this is good, perhaps Falkor had a reason for liking you after all." He dropped the duffel bag at her feet and crouched down next to it. He unzipped it briefly and the contents showed for a moment as he reached in and retrieved something. Vials of liquid and bullets of various calibers clinked in the bag among many other items that could not be identified in the dark. He handed her a scope. "Hold those."

He stood again and slung the bag over his shoulder. "Well, tonight we are going to be dragon threading. Just not in the normal sense. We need to secure your next victory but we can not rely on traditional means and the speed of Falkor alone. We are going to slow other dragons and their riders in any way we can. I need you to use that scope to watch my back as I use some of this equipment to set up the other riders."

He pointed to one of the warehouses along the docks. "One of the teams uses that building, Get somewhere high. Use the thermals and penetrating radar to help me get in there. Now go." He showed her once with his hand and walked towards the warehouse disappearing into the dark of night with relative ease.

"Explosives," Dextra tried to hide the grin spreading across her face, "I believe my initial impression of you was false Falkor, turns out you really do you know how to have fun."

Running off in the distance, Dextra placed the thermals systemically, spreading them out just far enough to cause distraction rather than any harm. Climbing to the top of a nearby construction site, Dextra kneeled down. Logging into the penetrating radar, Dextra tapped her comm earpiece twice, signaling to Ingolfur that she was ready.

"Thermals are placed and ready, you ready to go Piki?"

He walked on the pads of his feet as he tried to stay silent on the hard floors of the dock. His claws kept tapping against the floor as he moved so he changed his gait again until he was no longer making noise as he moved. He steadied his breath and moved towards the warehouse. As he drew closer he began to hear people talking and the low rumble of a large dragon breathing. He clutched a vial of liquid in his right hand and stood in the shadows of a crate staring at the warehouse. He pulled out a large syringe and filled it with the liquid from the bottle. He shoved the bottle in a pocket and held the syringe.

Now he just had to sneak into a building full of people and inject a dragon without being seen. He ran to the wall near the entrance and chanched a glance inside. He could see about six people milling around. Some of them armed. He gulped and hid behind the wall again. He knew what he was here to do, and even more so why he was here to do it. Yet now he felt the foolishness of his decision. He could not afford to falter, if he did. He stopped himself there. There was no chance or time to think of failure.

He put on a pair of glasses and linked them to Dextra’s penetrating radar. He now had a view from Dextra’s perspective and could see the people inside. He waited for his chance and darted inside. He moved from crate to crate sliding under tables and around chairs. He made it to the main room and saw his target.

Treyark, was known as a greater dragon, his size alone was formidable, but his fame and success did not stem from this alone. He could ooze Magma and even spit it at things. Even now the room was much warmer than the others. He was also known for having a bad temperament. Which is what he was counting on.

He strode into the room and casually walked up behind Treyark, With a steady hand he slid the needle under a scale along the tail and injected the serum. Treyark barely flinched at the prod and Ingolfur stepped away and left before the massive dragon could turn to investigate.

Ingolfur heaved air as he ran from the building. “OK, Dextra don’t blow anything until the signal. Understand?”

Dextra rolled her eyes, it was as if he didn't trust her, "Fine, could you hurry up? It's getting a little cold up here."

He thumped into a container and sulked for a moment as he listed to the impatience of Dextra. "Try being cold-blooded." A red flash of light caught his eye then. He gulped as he saw one of the explosives that he had given to Dextra planted on the crate next to him. He took off running again wanting to be as far as possible from it. "I found one of your explosives" he huffed more as he continued running. "You should start running too- since your cold."

Dextra laughed quietly at the quiver of fear she could hear in Ingolfur's voice after the remark on explosives. Moving was probably a good idea, he had no idea how big the radius of the explosive was going to be. Gripping her way down, Dextra inquired Ingolfur with a question.

"So, how exactly are we sabotaging this dragon."

Ingolfur took a moment to smirk, and while his reptilian face did not show expression well he huffed in derision. "Whatever do you mean Dextra? We were never here? And Treyarch just seems to be not feeling well." He picked up the pace and began running so as to put more distance between them and the docks. Moments later a deafening roar was heard and the sound of rending metal came soon after. Treyark tore free of the warehouse he normally called home. Lava spilled from his mouth in a steady drool and objects beneath melted in the intense heat.

Ingolfur took a moment to pull the detonator from Dextra he hit the toggle and rather than a thunderous explosion a high-pitched whine came from the dock followed by a series of thermite explosives firing off. Explosions of Lava went off across the docks and Treyark reacted to the sound by seeking it out and destroying anything in his way. Ingolfur pulled Dextra towards the road and led her to a hoverbike. He hoped in the driver's seat and struck the throttle until the bike hummed to life.

"Many more places to be Dexta. Are you prepared?"

Dextra let out an inaudible 'HEY!' as Ingolfur swiped the detonator from her and set off the explosions. What was the point of bringing her along if he wasn't even going to let her have fun? She almost didn't want to get into the bike but decided it was better to go with the lizard boy than stay with a dragon in the heat.

"I hope they aren't as explosive as this one, and no, Could we get some caffeine on the way to the next one?" asked Dextra, climbing in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back