Thread no longer active

Good idea. Might make for a very good roleplay; I think the trick will be to develop it as a setting and think about the kind of stories that can be told in that setting.

There are definitely a lot of ideas I recognize here, but A. I love Necromancers and B. that doesn't matter. It's how you blend and present them, and how well the setting or story works. For what it's worth, this has some traits in common with the way Necromancers work in my game, Crucible. They're bon vivants, more artists than scientists most of the time. In the version of the setting where they can practice freely, they fall into two broad camps.

There are the Necromancers who live in and manage communes, where they use undead labour and bonemachines to free the living populace up for actually living, so they they're normally locations with lots of artists, inventors, philosophers, etc. They also allow people to volunteer to remain as ghosts, so they can be preserved for their knowledge and granted temporary corporeality for brief simulations of living again.
Then there are the Kaeri Necromancers, who maintain the undead armies and the ghosts who operate the state bureaucracy (Kaer is basically an authoritarian communist military state).

There are also independent Necromancers who do with their powers what they feel like - some build airships that can 'warp' through the underworld, some are arms dealers or private investigators, grief counselors or exorcists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back