• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Thread Filtering

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I have looked and there does NOT seem to be a way to filter OUT a particular Prefix (say Fandom) or Sub-Genre (such as LGTBQ or Super Powers or Anime).

It is getting harder and harder to search RP's as over half the RP's submitted are Fandom, MultiEverthingUndertheSun ... to nearly every Subgenre is clicked on. This has become practically abusive.

The elusive filter has been (re)discovered by me ;D

You can find the advanced search filter here:
Search

If you scroll down you can find a place to enter tags you want and tags you don't want

Screenshot_20210801-181219.png

Additionally if you go to the thread search section, you can select settings you'd like to include using the drop-down menu for prefix.

Screenshot_20210801-181244.png

Edit: if you're looking for roleplays specifically, select the desired roleplay interest check section under "search in forums"

Last edited:
Already knew that. Trying to do the equivalent of a Google search where you can use negative filters.

One of the things I have been trying to filter is LGTBQ. Literally 50% of the RP's on the first page had that sub genre. And these were 1x1's. I'm .. hetero ... soooo ... might be useful to filter.

Groups are a different matter.

40% of the 1x1's were Fandoms on page 1 (seems like most are anime, Pokemon, RWBY, etc - none of which I have ever watched).

Anyways .... thanks.

Sorry, I just realized that we do have the power ^_^

Check my edited post above

The Advanced Search needs fixing. Any way to search JUST the Interest Checks? The genres are listed twice - once for Contests; once for all RP Genres. I tried a search and got a lonnnggg list of stuff in extra pages. Not a very useful search.

There is a way ^_^

Under the "Search Thread" tab, deselect "all forums" and select the specific forum you want to search, such as 1x1.

Alrighty, so once you get to the advanced search, you can narrow it down by forum and prefix as well as keywords.

First, select search threads:
Screenshot_20210801-182626~2.png

Scroll down and filter by tags that you want/do not want:
Screenshot_20210801-181219.png

Scroll down more and you will find where you can filter by forum and prefix:
Screenshot_20210801-182639~2.png
By default all are included but you can change that.

Deselect "any" from the prefix drop-down and "all forums" from the forum selection drop down:
Screenshot_20210801-182649~2.png
Screenshot_20210801-182733~2.png

Meanwhile, select the prefixes and forums you DO want from the respective menus:
Screenshot_20210801-182724.pngScreenshot_20210801-182755.png

Long process huh? But! You will end up with a link you can copy and use whenever you want to search for some roleplays. So that can be a handy little shortcut in the future.

Little bit better, but that just returned replies, not the actual Interest Check. Closer though.

When you go searching for an RP you look for initial Interest Check itself. Then you look at the sub genres and tags. The advanced search shows all posts. You are lucky to see an actual Interest Check when searching interest checks ...

Try searching:
1x1 Interest Checks
(Can't filter the sub genres, like I hoped)
Then ... most recent

This just happens to be the first RP in the list in 1x1 Interest Checks at the moment.

I believe if you filter out the subgenre name in the list of tags to not include, it should remove them if the thread has the subgenre selected.

Edit: You likely have to filter out the specific tags within the system.

Also, I think selecting the box at the bottom of the advanced search page will group the results by thread. Not certain though since I haven't used it.

Nope, though grouping as threads helped a little.

LGTBQ is not a tag, so it can't be filtered, nor any other sub genre. And many don't bother to add the tags m/m or f/f if they already have the LGTBQ selected.

Anyways, I think for now this is a lost cause. Get some sleep ... Thanks for trying.

There is a fundamental issue with this suggestion since it would require that all users tag their thread appropriately- meaning that these threads would require the "LGBTQ" tag you're hoping to filter out from your searches.

Here is a one x one thread search which excludes "m/m" and "f/f" tags, and only includes the Realistic-Modern prefix, but as you can see, it's not perfect.

LOL ... check the results of your search. I see m/m and f/f tags. Lots of LGTBQ when you open up the links. About all you managed to get was a search for Realistic / Modern Prefix. That you can do with one click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back