Literature Thoughts on Harry Potter?

That Mystic Writer

"I myself, am strange and unusual."
So, as you can tell from the title, this is just a little discussion about Harry Potter. You can say what you like about it, what your house is, your favorite characters, etc. I d k. I just made this so all of us Potterheads can talk, lol. Anyways, be nice, and have fun!

Mine: I personally l o v e Harry Potter and I am in Ravenclaw. I really like Luna, as you can tell from my profile.

I don't know how I feel about HP nowadays bc of JK Rowling. But I used to love it.

I like Snape bc he's complicated and selfish and interesting. And yet very noble in a way. Also, Draco.

Luna is cool, Siriusly.

I'm a Gryff, I think.

I don't know how I feel about HP nowadays bc of JK Rowling. But I used to love it.

I like Snape bc he's complicated and selfish and interesting. And yet very noble in a way. Also, Draco.

Luna is cool, Siriusly.

I'm a Gryff, I think.
same, with the whole JK Rowling thing. I'm kind of conflicted about it now and I feel kinda bad for saying I like the series

JK Rowling is based?? O_o

She has said a lot of anti-trans rhetoric lately. (In addition to her previous instances of being dismissive of Native culture by making religious figures in certain tribes houses for her knock off Hogwarts in America).

The trans thing though moved out of just Harry Potter and are apparently in her adult detective books. Plus she has written multiple op-Ed’s doubling down on it

I won’t link them directly but if your curious I can try to find some old Twitter threads explaining why what she said is bad.

——/—-

That said she will pry this series from my cold dead hands. I can literally talk for DAYs about everything from world building, characterization, corruption in politics, etc.

I am a hufflepuff through and through with some nerdy ravenclaw tendencies.

My favorite thing is magical creatures and coming up with wizarding societies from different part of the world. I have an elaborate head canon for America. I have also helped previous partners come up with headcanons for other parts of the world.

Last edited:
JK has lost her mind. But I, too, have years of irrelevant Harry Potter knowledge floating around in my brain. It's hard to let it go.

My house is Ravenclaw~
Also I really don't care about anything of Rowling
Usually this kind of thing happens with authors of many books and movies and such but I don't pay attention
It's mostly about the stories the person tells, not what they do in-between

Oh yes, I agree with all of your comments about Rowling. I totally agree that she was out of her mind, I was just talking about the series itself, not her. Her actions were terrible and I completely understand where you guys are coming from.

I liked Luna, always enjoyed her character especially the bits about her wearing a giant roaring lion head at games or that small scene she had with Harry when he was helping her find her shoes that people would steal and hide from her every year.

Was never super into Harry Potter like people my age were tho. Read them as they came out, got into them in elementary school and I enjoyed them, even introduced them to my mom who was also a big reader [Think I was ten or something when I got her to read them after I had from the school library], but I've always been surrounded by much bigger Harry Potter fans then I ever was. Think I mentioned it in another thread, but my interest in Harry Potter died down a lot with the release of Prisoner of Azkaban, the movie.

I think I feel really nostalgic about it, but past the nostalgia, I can't say it's my favorite. The movies just don't feel genuinely as good as they used to. I haven't read the books in quite a bit though. Maybe doing so would change my outlook.

Harry Potter movies were great. I love watching the Goblet of Fire with my cousin up north in my cabin. However, I wonder what happened when the Thirteen Colonies rebelled against Britain and other nations? Did wizards and witches spilt off from the British wizarding world? I wonder if they were like the British government and conquered places like the US.

I have largely ignored JK and attempted to separate the book from the creator. HP holds a special place in my heart and it would be a lie to say that it had not helped me through some difficult times in the past. I believe that the actions of the cast of HP have negated what JK has said regarding Muslims, the trans community, and other issues.

That being said, I do not hold the same fondness for HP that I once did. I enjoy reading various passages within the books, and I am not one to be opposed to binge-watching movies or fan films. But I am not an active member of the Potterhead community. Regarding the Houses, I fall somewhere between a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin with some tendencies of the other two Houses. My wand is made of elder wood, measures 10 and 3/4 inches, and holds a unicorn tail hair core. My favorite characters are Hermione Granger, Prof. McGonagall, and Tina Goldstein-- all of whom I see as strong feminine characters that set the series apart in many respects. I consider "The Cursed Child" to be badly written fanfiction, and I often refuse to acknowledge certain parts of the books, movies, or headcanons as they contradict the lore.

I like Harry Potter, but I do think that the series takes a sharp decline in quality after book 4 (Goblet of Fire).

The movies are fun, but I think they fucked up the casting a bit. But then again, some of the characters as written are so strange looking that to cast them appropriately would have been nearly impossible.

The author, J. K. Rowling is clearly an idiot in her personal life, but I'm one of those who can separate art from artist quite easily. I still like 'The Jungle Book' even though Kipling was clearly a huge racist.

I'd probably be in Slytherin for a couple years before dropping out and joining the Death Eaters.

Luna is my bae. I have a thing for airheads.

Never cared for Harry Potter. I mostly know about it because my cousin was a huge fan of it when he was younger.

I think my general perception is colored by the fact that I didn't read Harry Potter when the books were being released, but rather went through the whole series at 18. I like the books just fine, although they suffer from a case of "see, it all connects"-itis that stretches credulity in some cases. I also think that the world building gets worse the more it moves out of the school setting and into the Wizarding world and it's insane politics.

My real issue with Harry Potter is how basically my entire generation built their personalities around being Harry Potter fans, which is interesting to observe now that J. K. is going off the deep end.

i always end up getting attached to characters rather than a fandom/franchise so all i can is: malfoy deserved better ): i found out pretty recently that j.k. rowling was "unnerved" by how many people loved his "archetypal morally ambiguous bully" character. he was one of the most tragic/realistic characters in my opinion so this made me really sad

he was one of the most tragic/realistic characters in my opinion so this made me really sad

I agree. Assuming we're speaking about Draco. His overbearing and highly bigoted father coloured the person Draco was. He redeemed himself in many ways over the course of the series. The showdown with Dumbledore was his pivotal moment. Draco's father, all the Death Eaters and maybe even big daddy V would have saw him as a hero had he only gone through with it. It was incredibly brave of him to hesitate, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

I agree. Assuming we're speaking about Draco. His overbearing and highly bigoted father coloured the person Draco was. He redeemed himself in many ways over the course of the series. The showdown with Dumbledore was his pivotal moment. Draco's father, all the Death Eaters and maybe even big daddy V would have saw him as a hero had he only gone through with it. It was incredibly brave of him to hesitate, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.
God, yes. and when he had that breakdown in the bathroom? my chest actually hurt. i wish he had more genuine love in his life

i had to backspace so much, i started writing a whole character analysis, Lord help me

I was honestly expecting this to be a thread about Jk Rowling.

That said, I am a HP fan. I practically grew up with it so there's definitely some nostalgia there for me. I have my criticisms of the series, namely bad writing and plot holes, but I really can't hate something that was such a huge part of my life while growing up. I was literally about Harry's age in the first book when I read it.

I love HP. True, what Jk Rowling has said in the past isn't acceptable or in any form suitable, nevertheless, I love the fandom and the books.

I am personally a proud Hufflepuff. My favorite characters are a few, but the best character development that I've noticed was Draco's. The boy really grew up with the wrong crowd, his parents weren't exactly very amazing either. It was really seen when he had to kill Dumbledore, but he was too afraid. He knew it was wrong regardless of what he's been taught. I love Draco too much.

Not a Potterhead, like at all. But I have a question that maybe all the fans could answer.
Why did no one think to bring a gun (or a bunch of guns) to take out the Voldemort guy. They will readily get into a clash of spell slinging, dueling against the guy mano-a-mano. but no one thinks to bring in some ex-special forces and sniper teams and whatnot to go Seal Team 6 on his ass? I'm curious as to what in the lore prevented this approach.

Not a Potterhead, like at all. But I have a question that maybe all the fans could answer.
Why did no one think to bring a gun (or a bunch of guns) to take out the Voldemort guy. They will readily get into a clash of spell slinging, dueling against the guy mano-a-mano. but no one thinks to bring in some ex-special forces and sniper teams and whatnot to go Seal Team 6 on his ass? I'm curious as to what in the lore prevented this approach.

There are like a million ways to answer this, and the most obvious one is that Harry Potter is a fairy tale and guns don't fit thematically into the narrative. Saying that seems a little dour though, so in the spirit of your question I'll try to answer in a more creative way.

First - why wouldn't guns (or any projectile) work.

There is in-universe material referencing the fact that wizards don't really pay attention or care how muggle inventions work, but I think that guns and projectile weapons might be a special case. Now, guns are pretty old and there is a difference between a car (invented 100 years ago and isn't used to kill you) and a gun (invented like 500 years ago and is used to kill you). A gun is basically very similar to the magic spell avada kadavra which is just a bolt of energy that kills. This would mean that some idiot peasant with a early gun 500 years ago is suddenly more or less as powerful as a wizard that can cast the killing curse (a powerful wizard). This was probably something that the wizarding world as a whole took notice of. There are in-universe field spells that affect a large area, and there are spells that counter gravity and erect walls or force. These three types of spells when taken together provide a pretty easy and simple way to stop a bullet. Like in 'Dune', a wizard could protect himself in a magical force shield that blocks anything faster than a swift punch. Or maybe cast a spell over a wide area that causes any bullet to drop harmlessly to the ground. Or a curse that causes the action of any firearm within range to malfunction. Really, it's magic so the options here are literally limitless.

Second - why not send a team of special ops in to kill a wizard.

This one is easy - because the special ops team wouldn't even stand a chance. Sure, a SEAL can shoot you - but if he is cursed with blindness or deafness or his perception altered to see his team members as hostile wizards, he's going to have a hell of a time drawing a bead in the first place. A skilled wizard can cast spells just by willing them, and as fast as a tigger finger is - raw intuition will always be faster. Even without accepting the fact that the Big Bad of Harry Potter can kill you just by thinking about it hard enough, he would have enough tricks in his bag to really make fools out of any military team sent after him: for example, he's like a vampire - if you shoot him he'll just turn into smoke until you're out of ammo, then reform and turn you into a... snail or something. Even if you were to fill him with lead, he probably wouldn't care since without finding and destroying all his soul fragments he's immortal.

tl;dr: guns are basically just a really shitty magical spell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back