• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Those That Remain

Ruby wasted no time in delving into the tidbit of information Jasper had slid her way and Grim had to struggle to remain stone faced and not break out into a smile as she prodded him with curious assumptions. Instead he folded his arms over his chest and took a deliberate step towards her so that she would have to angle her head back to look at him.

"Dark horse?" He scoffed out the words, his mouth curling down in mock displeasure. "Stallion is more like it... all wild and-" he leaned down his hands bracketing her hips on either side of the bed as he hovered over her, a wry smile curling over his lips- "untamed." He gave her a frim kiss then, one that told her in no uncertain terms that despite his words he'd do anything for her. Pulling away he settled onto the cot next to her, his back leaning against the wall and his legs resting easily over the edge. "Jasper convinced me to go twice- though once he started getting into it I bailed. I didn't need to see him like that." Grim's nose crinkled at the memory of Jaspers bare backside as he eagerly rushed for Martha. In an effort to think of something else Grim slid his hand over to Ruby's lacing his fingers with hers.

"I think if anyone could turn this place around it would be you Ruby. You have this annoying trait where you inspire others to be... good." Grim rumbled out, his hand squeezing hers as they lounged together. When the contact of their hands wasn't enough he unlatched them and threw his arm over Ruby's shoulder, drawing her tight to his side. "I don't know how you do it, but it's fucking awful." He chided sarcastically and yet fondly at the same time.

He held her like that for a long while, and they watched as the shadows began to grow longer as the day passed. They played games, cards mostly- falling back on the game that had brought them together in the first place, and when their tummies were full of more canned stew the three of them decided to curl up together on the small cot. With Stanley pressed against his back and Ruby nestled at his chest Grim felt a sense of peace so deep that he couldn't help but almost feel choked up about it, there was no place he would rather be. The cellar was dark, save for the soft pale moonlight that filtered through one of the high up windows and Grim took advantage of the light, his gaze turned down to Ruby as she slept.

"I love you little one." He whispered the words.

Jasper came for them the following afternoon, looking incredibly mussed but well loved all the same. The men that surrounded him seemed to stiffen as Grim emerged from the cellar, helping Ruby up the final step, and Grim took great pleasure in knowing that despite everything there were still folks out there that still feared him and what he was capable of.

"There's my adorable friends!" Jasper held his arms open wide and Grim spotted a number of marks on the artists neck that had not been there on his last visit. "See guys, I told you he isn't scary anymore." Jasper gestured to Grim like he was nothing more than a kitty cat. Grim growled in response and one of the men startled, struggling to keep his footing. That just made Jasper laugh some more and he turned his kind gaze to Ruby. "Are you ready for this sweetheart?"

Poking at Grim was very much akin to prodding a bear and his reaction was as delicious as Ruby was hoping it would be. She tilted her head back and submitted to him almost immediately, enjoying the growl and husk of his voice, the firmness of his lips against hers before he plopped down onto the bed beside her. She couldn't help but giggle when he admitted that he'd bailed after seeing Jasper's enthusiasm for group sex.

"Mm, maybe next time we can go together?" Ruby suggested nonchalantly as she plopped backwards on the cot, stretching her arms out above her head to try and make her suggestion seem all the more not a big deal. Letting it simmer between them, hopefully for long enough that Grim might think she was being serious, Ruby eventually cracked and grinned up at him, leaning in once more to place a timid, slower peck to his lips. "Or not." Because who was she kidding? Who else did she need when she had him?

The rest of the day and night passed by in a similar manner. Ruby considered Grim's words as they played card games, as they explored each other with words and touch, as they ate and refuelled and just... existed in a way that they both needed. She didn't truly believe she could do anything about Fort Haven, not really. Why would the people listen to her? She appreciated Grim's confidence in her, had purposefully shoved his face away with embarrassment when he'd paid her the compliment but in reality... Red wasn't ready. She wasn't sure what the next few days might bring, with Riley still on the loose and the chaos that Rivers had left behind, but she was so certain that she wasn't the answer. How could she be, when she most of the time, she really didn't feel like someone who had their shit together?

The next morning came around all too quickly and Ruby once more, was as reluctant as ever to move herself out of Grim's arms, away from Stanley. When it was time however, and her barbarian helped her out into the sunlight, olive eyes were immediately met by a group of men that she felt scared of. The feeling disgusted her as much as it shamed her but despite herself, she angled herself slightly behind Grim's large form in an attempt to keep her trembling in check. For Jasper however, she managed the smallest of smiles.

"No," she admitted honestly. "But I don't think I have much of a choice."

As Jasper and the men began to lead them through Haven, which felt very much like a living hangover, Ruby found herself to be constantly on alert, looking for any sign of Riley's familiar sweep of dark hair, his lithe form. She stayed close to Grim, her arm against his, and by the time they were led into the centre of the settlement, small groups of people had clustered around in anticipation. Ruby hardly recognised any of them as they looked at her with curiosity and at Grim with the same expression, if not a little more fearful.

Ruby took a breath. "Uh, hey," she began, not quite looking at anyone in particular. "So I'm not really big on this whole speaking out thing but I guess you all know why we're here by now and what's... happened in the past couple of days."

A flicker of recognition on some of the faces.

"We're not here to enforce anything - I know as well as I'm sure that all of you do how that feels but I'd also be lying if I said there wasn't a need to try and do something about what's left of this place, of... us. There's still infected out there and Haven is as safe a place as any, especially now that R... He's gone."

Ruby swallowed. "I guess what I'm trying to say is... or ask, rather, what is it that you guys want now that you can choose? We can divide up supplies, each of us go our separate ways after we burn this place to the ground if that's what we want. Or... this place can become... an actual Haven. A home. There is safety in numbers, after all. It just might need a little organisation to be that."

The crowds listened with mild interest, and Grim let his gaze sweep over the crowd, his eyes narrowing on anyone that might seem out of place or a threat. Ruby had stuck close to him, all but hiding behind him when they had first appeared from the cellar and he was determined that they would no reason for anything to validate those fears for her. He stood directly behind her, arms folded over his chest, and though he wasn't touching her his proximity was enough to send the message that anyone who wanted something to do with Ruby would have to go through him. Ruby's nerves manifested through her wavering tone, but despite everything Grim's pride for her burned deep and bright- Ruby's fear would never win against her strong will.

With her every passing word more and more of the camps inhabitants started to give her their full attention. She spoke softly and Grim caught the noise of others hushing those that still chatted just so that they might hear her better.

"And whose going to lead that organizational effort then?" A voice called out from the crowds and Grim narrowed his gaze on a portly looking man who was closer to bald than having a full head of hair despite his best efforts. "You can't just waltz up here and announce yourself our leader." Baldy sneered, and Grim felt his hackles rise in defense. In the same moment he pulled his pistol from it's holster Jaspers hand's rose calming the crowd. Baldy's eyes widened on Grim as he pointed the weapon over Ruby's shoulder and aimed at him.

"Jesus fucking Christ Grim." Jasper made a move to shove the weapon down and Grim grumbled his disagreement. "No one is claiming leadership at the moment, and no one will be."

"Well then how the fuck are we going to figure out how to organize things?" Another voice asked, this one a female with long sandy brown hair and her dress half hanging off one shoulder.

"There's this great concept, maybe you've heard of it?" Jasper wiggled his fingers in front of him like he was about to unveil a new car during a game show. "We put it to a vote!"

"Whose gonna organize the vote?" Baldy piped up.

"Well I thought Grim, Ruby and myself could handle that part since it's our idea." Jasper explained.

"Well I didn't vote for you to do that." Baldy's hands landed on his hips and Grim made a move to lift his weapon again, but Jasper's hands once more stopped him.

"Well do you want to organize the vote then?" Jasper sounded ten seconds away from letting Grim just kill the annoyance and Baldy sheepishly shook his head.

"...No." He muttered, taking two steps back and re-merging with Haven's people.

"Alright! You heard the little lady! I've got a little set up ready in the main barracks, we'll take everyone's votes there and announce the plan at the end of the day." Jasper clapped his hands excitedly, looking down at Ruby. "After you Lady Lib."

It would have been foolish not to expect questions or some kind of pushback, Ruby knew that, but even when the first one came she winced slightly. This was not her, this wasn't how she was and that worried her, scared her a little. What Rivers and his men had done... the damage would be lasting, of that much she was becoming increasingly certain, and angry at the thought she was allowing him that power.

Ruby hadn't immediately noticed Grim reaching for his pistol until baldy's face drained of colour and Jasper stepped in to try and intervene. Although it would appear that this wasn't enough to stop him from trying again. This time, Ruby did roll her eyes as her own cheeks flushed with annoyance at the man who would appear to be the thorn in their side.

Of course baldy didn't want to organise it himself and she was grateful for Jasper pointing out that fact, even more grateful for him organising the voting system so that she and Grim didn't have to. By the time he announced the plan, people had already started shuffling towards the barracks and Ruby exhaled, her small hand reaching out to grip his Jasper's arm.

"Thank you," she smiled, a properly, warm smile before she glanced at Grim and nodded, their eyes meeting until she had passed and began to lead the way.

The main barracks was a small hive of activity, with crates set up to collect the votes and pens and scrap bits of paper littered around for people to write on. Ruby had no idea how this was going to go, or what they were going to do once the fate of Haven had been decided, but she did know that this felt... good. These were people who had lived in fear for perhaps as long as their new world had burst into existence, but they didn't have to anymore... to an extent.

"Alright, step on up you two. It seems only fair that you guys should have a vote too. I certainly won't be hesitating in making my choice known." Ruby's olive gaze flickered to Jasper then and back to Grim, her mouth slightly downturned. Shit, she hadn't thought about that, and they certainly hadn't spoken about it. What... did she want? What did Grim want? Ruby didn't know.

"I..." The redhead licked her lips and nodded, stepping up to one of the tables that held felt tips and paper. For a moment, she wondered where the pens had come from in her hesitancy, before scrawling an X on the back of a ripped up brown paper bag, allowing Grim to do the same. Only did she pause once she was in front of the two crates.

One to keep Haven. One to destroy it.

Her small hand linked with his. "Together?"

In truth, Grim was grateful he'd not been asked to give any sort of speech to the group that surrounded them. He wasn't one for inspiring words or grand declarations of hope and change, and perhaps Ruby wasn't that sort of person either but hearing how she'd chosen to speak was all the proof he needed that Ruby had the makings of leadership. It had taken Jasper less than an hour of knowing Ruby to see that, and perhaps Grim was the smallest bit spiteful that his friend had seen her so clearly. If they chose to stay his time with her would be limited, and he knew it would be harder to cart her off and have her to himself if they chose to remain. Nevertheless, the truth could not be denied, Ruby always rose to the occasion, often placing others safety before her own, she chose to listen and debate rather than Grim who preferred to solve conflict with the closest weapon available to him.

Her olive eyes met his and he had to fight the urge to to haul her up into his arms and keep her anchored to him throughout this entire ordeal. Her smile was warm and he all but melted on the spot as she turned and lead the charge to the barracks. All around them people marked their pages and dropped their votes into the crates, he did his best not to pry but it surprised him to see how many people dropped their votes into the crate that destined them to stay, to rebuild.

Grim glanced down at Ruby as she scrawled her X onto the ripped up paper bag and let his thoughts drift down each lane their path seemed to be forked at. He could picture long nights on the road, their only company each other and the stars that shone above. It would be just them and he would find peace in it despite the danger. Behind him ruckus laughter broke through his thoughts, and he had the sudden image of Ruby, safe, surrounded by community. She'd laugh just as loudly and brightly as those behind him, of that Grim was certain. Ruby's hand found his, their fingers slipping together easily, like a dance they'd practiced over and over again.

"Together?" She asked him, and Grim felt his gaze soften on hers. He lifted their linked hands, pressing his lips to her knuckles.

"Always." He murmured. They turned, letting their gazes focus on that crate that would decide everything and stepped forward.

Another party had broken out after Jasper ushered everyone out of the barracks, but through the mess of the crowd Grim had managed to pull Ruby to the side and slip down a dimly lit hall with her. He hoped that her trust in him outweighed the memories that were surely surging to the surface. Casually he threw her a glance over his shoulder as he led the way down another empty hall, finally he stopped at a room with a heavily locked door.

"Here we are." He said, flipping the cover of his knife off and unsheathing it. It was clear to anyone that watched him now that this wasn't the first time he'd taken the blade to the hinges of the door, carefully lifting the pins and making the locks moot. "While Jasper enjoys Martha's parties for it's intended purposes, I tended to enjoy them because people seem to enjoy sharing secrets." He glanced up to Ruby as he fished the final pin from the hinge. "The previous owner, as I'm sure you were aware had a fondness for his more materialistic nature, and it made sense for people to bring him gifts when they came to visit. However not all the gifts were well liked, and instead of handing them out to people that might need them, they would come here to collect dust." With a grunt and a great heave Grim pushed the door free from it's frame, and with a flick of a nearby switch he brought power to the single light in the room. It's soft yellow beams revealed bookshelves overflowing with books of all shapes and sizes. Furniture was haphazardly pilled against one another, save for a single chair in the middle of the room, located directly under the light.

It was a simple chair, made of carved wood with worn pads on both the armrests and the seat. It was nothing of the gaudy nature Rivers had preferred and Grim had found it the perfect chair for reading when he'd gotten the chance. Now he had other idea's for it, and with a grin he ushered Ruby inside and settled the door back loosely in it's frame.

"Take a seat." It wasn't an order, more like a suggestion. Grim let his feet circle the chair, his eyes never leaving Ruby. "I don't think people told you this enough Ruby, but you're so goddamned strong." He crouched in front of her then, his hands drawing up the faded fabric of her pants, revealing the thin scars around her ankles. He guided her, hooking her legs over the armrests and when he was finished placing her where he liked he grinned up at her. "Seeing you get back up each and every time... I don't have the fucking words Ruby." What he did have however was action, and had he not been so mindless in showing her what she did to him and his soft heart he might have heard breathing pick up from behind a hidden panel of the left side wall or felt the piercing eyes that hungered.

Ruby was more than happy to be led away from the impending chaos by Grim and naturally, she couldn't help but wonder where he was taking her. She trusted him implicitly, would follow him to the ends of the earth if he asked her to, of that much she was certain, and so she had no trepidation as the hallways became narrower, more dimply lit. There was only intrigue, a little bit of excitement maybe, and curiosity.

To his explanation of what he gained from Martha's parties as he began to break into the lock, Ruby quirked a brow. "And how exactly, did you pry those secrets from people, huh? Or wait, maybe don't answer that. I have a very good idea of how you might have got people to talk. At an orgy. With that mouth of yours." The redhead's smirk turned into a knowing, perhaps slightly flirtatious smile but this quickly died away once the door was finally lifted from its hinges and Grim led her inside.

Olive eyes flickered over the rows of books that surrounded them, her mouth in a small 'o' shape as she turned and drunk in the gifts that Rivers had discarded, now lit up by the single light in the middle of the room. It felt a lot like Grim was showing her some kind of abandoned treasure, which in a way, he was.

"This is... I mean, it's..." For the first time in a long time, there was excitement brimming in Ruby's depths and perhaps something slightly more unrecognisable that simmered with heat beneath that as Grim suggested she take a seat. Her focus very quickly turned to him now, as it so often did and with no hesitation, Ruby guided herself to the seat in the middle of the room, her gaze never leaving amber. She wasn't sure where she was expecting this to go, but as he knelt in front of her and those large hands began to roam her legs, her breath hitched, her heartrate started to increase. "I don't always feel strong," she admitted shakily, softly. "But when you're close to me, I do. I feel... different. Capable. Worthy." Her legs were hooked over the arms of the chair and she let out a small huff at the grin spreading across Grim's wolfish features. She too, was much too distracted to hear the growl from the shadows until it was too late.

Riley, or what was left of Riley only held it together a fraction longer, until Ruby lifted one of her legs to rest snugly on Grim's shoulder as if to move towards him, as if... to give herself to him.

Furniture went flying as a grizzled snarl ripped through the room and Ruby immediately stood to be met with the face of a rotting corpse hurtling towards Grim's back. "Grim!" Her voice carried too late as the creature wrenched his form backwards, throwing him off balance to get to his prize beneath.

"Rubyyyy...." His broken voice drawled, his flesh ripping around his mouth, his eyes milky, distant.
"Riley?"
"M-Mine..." The word came out as a disjointed growl as the half-person began towards her, forcing her back into the chair as she shuffled to try and get as far away from it as she could.
"What, Riley? What... happened to you?"
"M... M... Mine!" The creature launched before Ruby had a choice to react, its mouth snapping towards her face as her hands plunged into its rotting flesh to try and keep it away from her.

"No! Stop, Riley! No! NO!"

As it turned out Riley didn't have the patience to wait around in the woods while Grim tended to what should have been rightfully his. He'd lasted all of fifteen minutes before he grew weary of watching the door that never moved, and with a disgruntled huff he'd turned on his heel and made his way back towards the little gap in the wall and into Fort Haven. Thoughts of how to to change things raced through his mind and each idea felt as useless as the last. All around him the settlement buzzed with activity, he caught the sounds of cheers as one of Martha's ever so famous parties gained another participant, nearby he caught the middle of a conversation and it was one that had his ears perking.

"Keep an eye out for him will you? He was River's new little lap dog and I'm certain Grim would love to get his hands on him, all things considering." Riley pressed himself tight to the wall, he didn't recognize the voice calling out for his hit, or the multiple voices that answered back in confirmation of the orders. One thing became abundantly clear to him then, and Riley knew he wouldn't be able to remain at Haven with Ruby as he'd originally been hoping. It irked him that so many people couldn't see how wrong Grim was, and how disgusting it truly was that he kept parading on with Ruby the way he was. Self preservation had him running for the room he'd stumbled upon while River's had kept Ruby locked away from him. It was easier to hide away than watch Ruby as she suffered on Grim's account- he'd hoped that once he'd gotten her out of there that she might forgive him for that slight unpleasant business. Only it hadn't worked that way, and once more Grim had stolen her away from him.

Riley waited- doing his best to sort his thoughts and formulate a plan; his hands itched at the metal of the ancient necklace he'd stolen from the room from his first visit to the room. Had there been a mirror near him, he would have noticed the bright irritated skin of his neck, and how it slowly began to fester and pus. Soon all he could think of was Ruby, the way she looked- those heavenly olive eyes. The way she smelled, god just like everything he ever craved.

Riley all but salivated as he thought of what she might taste like.

Grim hungered for Ruby, he was just about to get his way and demand her cries of pleasure when rough hands sank into his skin and hair, jerking him backwards and out of the way with surprising force and strength. His body hit the ground hard, the hit of the concrete floor reverberating through him, and all but stopping his heart. When Ruby screamed however, his heart did stop- it's muscles and valves caught in petrified horror as Grim took stock of the situation. Riley towered over Ruby, his teeth gnashing at the sight of her as she struggled to keep him at bay, begging him to stop.

Grim was on his feet with the haste of a bullet leaving it's barrel, an explosive shout leaving his chest as his hands dug into Riley's clothes and at the hair on the back of his head. Grim felt the squelch of skin giving way under his grip, and with one mighty heave he pulled Riley away from Ruby. Grim twisted, sending Riley careening into the wall. His eyes widened as Riley bounced off the wall like a cat, using the momentum to launch himself back at Grim, his hands outstretched, his mouth gaping wide as his jaw hung loosely from it's joints. Grim fumbled for his knife, grasping at the handle just as Riley's body hit him like a truck.

"Miinee!" Riley screeched, his voice echoing off the walls as both he and Grim tumbled to the floor.

"Fuck!" Grim kept an arm out, holding Riley back as he finally managed to dislodge his knife from it's sheath at his waist. Grim wasted no time, swinging his arm wide and throwing all of his strength into the blow as he sunk the blade into Riley's temple. There was a moment where Riley froze, his mouth working soundlessly- he was staring at Grim with a mixture of shock and rage as his body went limp above Grim. With a shove Grim directed Riley to fall to the ground next to him. Riley didn't move, his milky white eyes stared sightlessly at Ruby. Instantly Grim rushed to his feet, he was on Ruby, his hands moving over her as he sought out any sign of injury.

"Jesus, you're not hurt are you? Fuck Ruby please don't be hurt." The words fell out of him, and he barely recognized how hard his hands were shaking. Grim didn't think he'd ever been more scared in his life.

Before all this had happened, Ruby had never been one to freeze up like she did in the face of a half-rotted Riley, someone who had once been her friend, her family. Yet now here she was, completely unable to move as she tried to hold off the gnashing teeth from reaching her, speckles of blood and grime spattering her face before strong hands wrenched the body away from her, sending it curtailing into the wall... and unfortunately for them, back again. Ruby watched in horror as Riley and Grim grappled each other to the ground, Riley's undead shrieks piercing the air around them. Her mind couldn't comprehend it and she certainly couldn't do anything as the fight ensued, her heart already in her mouth, her eyes dark and wide and terrified.

It was over in what felt like slow motion but all too quickly at the same time. Riley's half decayed form gurgled when the knife pierced through the mess of his skull and the innards inside and stopped completely when he was tossed to the side, his misty eyes now completely unseeing even though they seemed to land upon Ruby, even in death.

For a long while Ruby stared and stared and stared, even as Grim came towards her, even as he took her pale face into his trembling hands. It took her a long time for olive eyes to find amber, to ground themselves in the familiar once more, to remove her from the terror that had seemingly seized up her entire being. Rigidly, she shook her head as she lifted her hands to cover Grim's, as her eyes began to search his, as she realised that he might be hurt too.

"N-No, I'm... I'm fine," she managed to get out, bringing her forehead to rest against his for a moment to calm him, to calm herself. "I'm okay," she breathed, her grip upon his hands tightening, allowing them to take in this moment together, allowing them to just... breathe when they needed it most. "He's dead," she whispered shakily after a long while, her gaze still downcast. "He's really dead." And then she added, more confusedly. "But... how? He... Riley, he..." She couldn't finish the sentence however, now when the two of the were now very clear on what had become of him.

It was like Ruby was lost in a far off place within her head, her eyes were sightless, even as they remained locked on the prone form of Riley. Bits of his flesh spotted her skin and Grim was quick to remove them, his hands almost rough against her skin in his fever to remove the bits of Riley that still touched her. Finally after long moments of silence that had been filled only with his ragged heartbeat and pleading gaze did her eyes flick to him. He felt the warmth of her hands as she covered his own- he could all but see the gears clicking back into place in her mind and the rush of relief that moved through him was almost staggering.

She pulled at his hands and he readily followed her; letting his head rest against hers. Even now he shook slightly, his body buzzing like a live wire. Instinctively he began to match his breathing to hers, his chest expanding with the deep breath she guided him through. Her soft words did the trick, and the tension uncoiled and relaxed within him, soon enough his fingers felt steadier as they wound through her hair. Finally the question of how occurred to Ruby and Grim lifted his head from Ruby's to glance at Riley.

"I don't know..." His brow furrowed, he still wasn't able to let go of Ruby. It felt like if he did then she might disappear. Keeping her hand in his Grim faced the man that had brought so much pain to Ruby. There was a sick sort of satisfaction that moved through him at the sight of his blade sticking out of Riley's head. He'd never touch Ruby again. Using the toe of his boot Grim gave Riley's shoulder a little shove, sending the body onto it's back, there was a collective intake of breath at the sight. Riley's skin was sickly looking and grey, reminding Grim a little of how Tom had looked in his final days. It all seemed to centre around his neck, and through the bubbling and rotted flesh Grim made out a dark looking chain that hung from his neck. He followed the path of the chain to the ancient looking metal piece that hung from the chain.

"Hmm." He rumbled out a soft noise and the pieces of the puzzle began to click together for him. "Let's leave this room Ruby. I don't think we should stay here." He pointed towards the pendant. "It's just a hunch but that looks eerily like it came from the same collection as that vase you brought to Tom." Grim shouldered the door open and once Ruby was out of the room he wasted no time in locking Riley's corpse in. Grim looked more than confused as he ran a hand through his hair, sending it loose around his shoulders. "If these pieces are turning people... Ruby could this be what Tom was looking for all along? Jesus, what do we even do with this information?"

Ruby needed to hold Grim as much as he did her. They brought themselves down together, grounding each other, reminding one another that they were still here, still alive when moments ago it felt like that could have been taken from them. In truth, she wasn't entirely sure how to feel. Riley had been her friend once, like a brother in her own eyes and yet... he'd betrayed her. He'd given her over to Rivers without hesitation, had let him do all of those awful things to her... There was something satisfying about seeing him laid with nothing left but the consequences of his actions, but at the same time Ruby couldn't quite believe that this meant it might... finally be over?

Her mind was swirling with such thoughts until Grim's attention flickered, to the chain that hung around Riley's neck. It took Ruby a couple of moments to make the connection but when it did, her olive eyes widened and began to flicker, slowly at first and then much more quickly to the objects, made of that same dark metal that they'd both seen before...

Slowly, the redhead nodded, allowing Grim to help her down from the seat, allowing herself to be led from the room. Once outside of it, it was as though she could breathe again, her thoughts beginning to lick themselves into place. "Tim wanted us to come here... to find these... things," she whispered. "He fell sick after he found the artefact, h-he..." It was clear by now however, that Ruby didn't need to finish that sentence, that their thoughts were aligning perfectly. "I don't know," she admitted steadily, looking up into the amber eyes of her lion, his mane strewn around his shoulders. Her features immediately softened. "This could be... so much bigger than us but there's nobody left to take it to. Not anymore."

Her small body instinctively moved forwards and without anything other than a need to be closed to the man she loved, she wrapped her small arms around his waist and buried her nose into his chest, his scent. "I wish Syra was here," she whispered, hiding her face a little. "She understood so much more about Tim's work than I ever did."

The gravity of what was potentially the answer to the infection weighed heavily on Grim and Ruby's shoulders. Even the walls of the barracks seemed to lean down on them as they stood out in the hall. Grim listened with rapt attention as Ruby worked out what might have happened to Tim. It hit Grim hard when Ruby realized that there was no one to bring this new information to. The world had fallen apart without answers and now that some might have been unveiled it seemed too late to do anything about it. Grim let out a heavy sigh as Ruby moved into his arms, her strong arms wrapping around his middle and holding him tight. He curled around her like the protective lion he was, and rested his chin on her head- his eyes closed.

"Hmm." Grim made a noise of response to Ruby's confession before he straightened and idea occurring to him. "We could always radio for her. Here, come on." Grim shifted them, turning so that Ruby was still tucked to his side, his arm draped over her shoulders. As they walked through the halls they encountered only a few of Jasper's most trusted friends who stood guard to make sure nothing could be tampered with while Jasper took count of all the votes. After gaining permission to access the radio room Grim stepped inside and closed the door behind them, before Ruby could sit down at the radio however he gripped her waist and tugged her back tight to his front. He left his arms cage her lightly to him and dropped his head so that his mouth hovered close to her ear.

"You are the best fucking thing that has ever happened to me Ruby." His voice was a soft husk in her ear, "and I'm going to spend every day of the rest of my life making sure you feel safe, happy and loved. You got that?" He didn't wait for a response from her before he bit down lightly on the spot of skin just under her ear. "I protect what's mine, and you Red, belong to me like I belong to you." He lifted then, letting his arms drop before he gave her rump a small tap to get her moving to sit at the radio.

He watched Ruby after they set up the line, his own thoughts tuning out the words she spoke when Syra answered a few minutes later. The poor doctor sounded tired, but she and the others were alive and well. Ruby had faced so much in her time in this broken world and yet through it all she never once seemed to lose her capacity for love and kindness. Grim had long thought those parts of himself dead, but she had conjured life out of him even on the first night of their meeting. It was strange to think that so much had changed for him in the matter of a few weeks. He didn't know what the future would bring them, or even if their hunch was right about the artefacts; the only known for him was Ruby. He took in a deep centring breath as Ruby caught up with the doctor and he watched over the woman he would spend the rest of his life loving.

"Knock, knock." Jasper peeked his head into the room a few minutes later and Grim narrowed his eyes at the man.

"Why didn't you just knock?" He asked.

"The votes are all counted, do you two want to join us outside for the reveal?" Jasper asked, not dignifying Grim's barb with a response.

Grim's physical support was as important as his emotional support and it showed in the way that Ruby all but melted against him, breathing him in, drawing comfort from feeling all encompassed, enveloped by everything that he was. She could have stayed like that indefinitely until his rumbled voice vibrated against her cheek and she tilted her chin back against his chest to look up at him, almost sleepily considering his suggestion until... she really considered his suggestion.

"We can do that?" Slowly, the redhead peeled herself away from her king, an almost childlike excitement now brimming in her olive depths. She hadn't known about the radio room. She didn't know this was possible, until now.

It didn't take them long to traverse the corridors to their destination and slip inside without incident. Ruby was just about to separate herself from Grim when he stopped her, those strong arms gripping her waist, yanking her against the stone wall of his front. For a moment, it was all the redhead could do to gas softly as he clamped down on the skin beneath her ear, her small hand coming up to grip at the back of his mane. Gods, this man would be the death of her, she was so sure of it. The way that he touched her and his words... those husky, growled words of dominance that made her want to keen into them. Nobody had ever made her feel like this before. Nobody.

"I'll hold you to that," she managed in response, a strained whisper but then a softer one, punctuated by her nose grazing against Grim's stubbled cheek, a nip of her lips in a sensual kiss there. "I love you."

Three simple words that portrayed everything she was feeling for him.

When she was finally set free, Ruby took a breath as she sauntered over to the radio station, (purposefully swaying her hips a little as she did so.) Her small hands began to shake a little as she clasped the headphones over her ears and fired up the equipment, mostly using guesswork to ascertain what the fuck needed to be done here. When she did though, and Syra's voice finally crackled into her ears, what came next could only be described as barely refrained sobbing.

Ruby filled in her friend as best she could about everything that had happened since she'd been separated from her family and in return Syra did the same. She was particularly intrigued by their findings and what had happened to Riley, and the women left with a promise to catch up again soon and Syra vowing to dig out Tim's research as soon as possible... or what was left of it in the aftermath of the destruction of their home.

They were finishing up just as Jasper knocked and Ruby sat back for a moment, wiping her tear-stained face before she looked over at the two men and heard what she and Grim had been waiting for.

So this was it. The decision. Their fate.

Ruby stood a little shakily and took a breath, giving Jackson a nod. "Lead the way."

As soon as she was by Grim's side, her hand found his and squeezed. They once more traversed the corridors until Jackson led them outside to the centre of camp and where there were huddled of people waiting. Expectantly. Hopefully?

"Alright you horrible lot," Jackson announced as he hopped up onto a wooden box, ever the showman. "The votes are in and the people... you, have spoken. Could I get a drumroll, please?"

When silence followed, Jackson's hands made his way to his hips. "Aw, come on now. At least humour me that!"

The small chair creaked under Grim's weight as he leaned back and let his gaze stroke over Ruby. One might look at them and find it strange that they seemingly recovered so quickly from Riley's attack but if anything Grim and Ruby were still reeling from it. As evidenced by the soft tears that threatened to escape from Ruby's eyes or the way that Grim vowed never to let anything stop him from loving her. It was almost as if the attack from Riley had been the final nail in the coffin- these two and their red line of fate would forever be intertwined. Grim found himself wishing that he had something to offer Ruby so that she might dry her eyes as she caught up with her old friend. Promises were made aloud and silently, and Grim vowed to do his best to get the rest of Ruby's camp to come out this way so his little one might be whole once more.

When Jasper came to collect them Grim and Ruby followed after, their gazes meeting between footfalls- the question was clear in both of their gazes. What was about to come next? Jasper stood on his box above the crowd and when Jasper called for a drum roll Grim found himself incredibly pleased with the silence that followed. Perhaps there were friends to be had here after all. The warrior folded his thick arms over his chest, not obliging Jasper at all.

"Get on with it then." He muttered, giving the box Jasper stood upon a little kick so the man wobbled precariously. Jasper pointed an accusatory finger as the masses.

"None of you are invited to Martha's party after." That earned him a few chuckles from the group, albeit to Grim it sounded like pity laughter. He been about to give Jaspers box another boot but thankfully the artist got a move on. "Ok, Ok, fine. The votes are in and it looks like you people love this hunk of junk town. Fort Haven is here to stay!" The crowd around them broke into applause and laughter then. Some slung arms around their friends, pulling them close as the reality of things really started to settle in. Fort Haven was no longer run by a single terrible man, instead it's inhabitants were free to come and go as they pleased, they were free to turn its thick walls into a home.

Grim couldn't hide the bloom of a grin on his face, it was wild and free and while it may have unnerved some people who had never seen the man smile before he didn't notice. His world centred on Ruby and how she fit against him as he hooked an arm around her waist and anchored to him. His head dipped and his lips found hers in a searing kiss that had his fellow townsmen gasping in surprise.

"Welcome home Red." He whispered, pressing his forehead to hers.

As amusing as watching Jasper enjoy his moment in the spotlight was, Ruby couldn’t help the gnawing anxiety she felt swirling in her stomach for whatever was about to happen. Either they were staying in a place she once hadn’t even been able to utter the name of without shivering, or they were being cast back onto the road and left to find their own way in a world that seemed to no longer want them. Ruby knew which outcome she wanted but whether that was the one to come to fruition…

As it turned out however, she didn’t have to wait much longer to find out.

The announcement was met with the thrilled whoops, cheers and claps of the residents surrounding them and Ruby didn’t realise she was smiling herself until Grim gripped her and yanked her into a kiss that would have sent anyone else reeling. Her olive eyes were shining as she gripped the back of his hair and kissed him fiercely, passionately, nudging her nose against his when he dipped his forehead to meet her own. Grim’s expression was reflected in her own features, her hand moving to caress his stubble covered cheek, her thumb stroking across his skin as she looked up and he looked down.

“You are my home,” she breathed in response, taking a moment just to drink him in, to savour everything that he was to her and everything that he would ever be. The feelings weren’t easily put into words and so Ruby kissed him again, much more softly this time, slowly… expressing everything she felt in that moment. Safe. Loved. Words she never would have considered she’d be able to use to describe herself.

----

The next couple of weeks after the fate of Fort Haven was decided could only be described as a mixture of celebration, relief and… restoration. There were a few buildings that as a whole, people were happy to gut completely and a few that some wanted to stay exactly the same. Decision were made fairly, taking everyone’s feelings into consideration where possible… except for when it came to the room with the artefacts. That was kept locked up for now, cordoned off to everyone until a way forwards was found and… agreed upon.

A few days into their new life, Syra and a few remaining stragglers from Ruby’s old home turned up in seek of refuge, at Ruby’s invitation, which after a lot of discussion the residents of Haven seemed happy to accept. Syra had knowledge, skills… knowledge especially that Ruby believed had died with Tim; she could help, she could look into and make sense of the information they had in a way that nobody else could. If the artefacts caused the end of the world, then maybe they could help to rebuild it, too?

Rivers’ old quarters, which Ruby had yet to visit since her release from them, were very quickly turned into a research lab of sorts that Syra used to set up her small team of people, whereas Ruby and Grim took shifts in the radio room to try and find someone, anyone out there who might be able to help them. Jasper in the meantime took up his role on overseeing the organisation of the restoration works and for a small time everyone seemed… happy. Involved. With purpose. There was a peacefulness to Haven that Ruby was sure it had never seen before and although they were striving for more, a part of her was simply grateful for everything that she now had. For him.

Sitting back in her chair and removing her headphones, small red stretched a yawn, her hand coming down to scratch between Stanley’s ears as he snoozed by her feet. She had sent Grim to fetch her a cup of coffee to get her through the next couple of hours and upon his return she gave him a sleepy smile, and an even sleepier thank you. When he sat down she stood, and moved over to plonk herself in his lap, legs draped over his thigh. “Still nothing,” she sighed softly, retrieving the steaming coffee cup between her gloved fingers and taking a sip. “I’m starting to think we’re the only people left on the whole damn planet.” There was a moment of pause before she smiled a little, olive meeting amber, cheekily… knowingly. “Not that I’d be complaining too much if that were the case. Imagine all the fun we could have, grandad... if we had this place all to ourselves.” Dipping forwards then, Ruby’s pressed a chaste kiss to her lion’s lips, lingering slightly longer than was totally innocent and in doing so, missing the red blinking light that had just started on her machine behind her.

“Although maybe we could pretend, just for a little while?” One eyebrow raised, a coy smirk pulling at the corners of her mouth, the redhead placed her drink down and swivelled so that she was straddling Grim’s legs, her arms looping around the back of his neck. She would be lying if she said this was the first time they’d ended up in this position.

“Whaddya say, old man? Ten minute break? You, me…?” Then she started to trail kisses down his cheek, towards his neck… nipping softly at his pulse point in a way that she knew drove him mad. “And a whole lot of fun?”

The concept of Home was something Grim had never truly considered after the first of the infections. All that had mattered was safety, power and survival- and those weren't conditions in which community and partnership tended to flourish. Since Fort Haven's rebirth Grim had witnessed a number of things that he struggled to partake in. It was difficult not to just pull out his gun and shoot the bastard that took an extra heaping serving during breakfast and when someone had found some building materials Grim had been absolutely flabbergasted when the idiot chose to share them. Jasper and Ruby had been privy to his bafflement and in an effort to give Grim a healthy outlet for his frustrations Jasper and Ruby had given Grim an old truck from River's graveyard of machinery. It's engine needed a lot of TLC but Grim was certainly up for the task. It would take some doing but Jasper had been quite vocal in his hopes to turn Grim back into a contributing member of society.

When he wasn't working on the truck or watching as people- shudder- shared, Grim was busy with Ruby in the radio room. They had made the space their own and Grim had taken great pleasure in sneaking some of the old tattered cushions from a decrepit sofa and making Stanley a soft little bed to rest under the desk. After returning from the coffee run, in which he'd done his best not to frown too deeply at the man that offered him and extra spoonful of sugar Grim settled himself in the rolling chair ready to get back to the droll task of scanning through the hiss of white noise. Ruby however had other ideas and when she seated herself on his lap he happily held tightly to her hips, anchoring them together.

"Hmmm, just you and I?" He chuckled as she spun her little fantasy. "Just think of all the places I could make you scream my name." Ruby placed her coffee down then and turned to straddle him completely and he was all to happy to turn away from the radio and the blinking light they both missed. "We're gonna need longer than ten minutes Little Red." He husked as her lips dragged along the thick column of his neck and Grim couldn't help the arch of his body in response. This fiery temptress knew just where to touch and tease him.

"I say you'd better put that beautiful mouth to work." He growled at her. Ruby did just that, her sweet blissful torture forced his hands out of her hair to find purchase against the cool edge of the desk as she drove him absolutely wild. Finally he could take no more and his hands scooped her up from her knees to settle her on the edge of the desk. In his haste to put Ruby where he wanted her he swept the headset to the side, ripping it's cord from the unit. The lovers froze as a faint voice crackled out from the speakers.

"-Check. Radio Check. Can anyone hear me?"

"I'll be damned." Grim paused, trying to get his blood to cool as the voice repeated itself and yet despite the discovery he couldn't drag himself from Ruby. Mischief filtered through his eyes and once he plugged the headset back in and handed Ruby the mike he slowly began to sink to his knees in front of her. "Better get that Ruby." He looked up at her, her thighs framing his dark gaze and up turned lips. He looked up with adoration at the woman above him, loving the way she clutched the mike and the way the headset was the slightest bit to big for her head. Olive met amber and a silent conversation seemed to occur between the two of them. Whatever would come next, they would face it together.

It didn't matter if the person on the other end of the line held the key to unlocking the cure, or if they would later be a thorn in their sides. As long as they were together they were both home. Ruby's hand found his and their fingers laced and Grim couldn't help but lift her hand and press a kiss to her knuckles. They both watched as Ruby's hand hovered over the talk button and once more her eyes jumped to his. In that moment Grim was reminded of an old musical, it's song a sharp echo in his mind as he repeated the lyric to the woman he loved.

"Come what may, Ruby. It's you and me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back