• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Answered This site contradicts itself in the strictest of sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleboy

The very first lines of this sites Guideline are:
*** RpNation prides itself on being an (open) and inclusive community that promotes individualism, diversity***
Now my question is by who's interpretation of individualism, To me that is saying that a person and or persons in question may be who and what they are, But yet this site has rules that clearly contradict and dictates the
opposite of what people may and may not do off of their website.

I am just curios just who made The people who run this site Gods and gave them the rights to tell people what type of role plays they they may or may not do off line, Not only that but they actually threaten retribution should anyone be caught doing so, I am not a lawyer do not pretend to be, although my niece is, But it would seem to me that clearly falls into the category of invasion of privacy, and would clearly be illegal I will have to get with my niece on that one.

My advice is to remove such rules and simply have a General policy and understanding with the members of this site that the owners are clearly in no way responsible for what happens off of this site,I would suggest a section where people can discretely request a private role plays offline which may or may not be sexual in nature with contact information, For example Male looking For Female long term role play contact me at email below for details this way there is no direct sex play on the site and you show respect to peoples privacy.

Oh and for any mod that intends to remove this post understand that by doing so you just prove my point not only to me but all other members of this site.

Last edited:
Firstly, this is a privately-owned and privately-run site. Therefore the owner of the site has the final word on what content is allowed on it.

Secondly, the only "retribution" that a member is "threatened" with (your words, not mine) are warnings if the member is breaking the site rules. These warnings come with consequences because we all know that people in general don't pay much attention without consequences. Warnings result in temporary bans of a duration dependent on the amount of warning points a member has, including the current warning. You may find those temporary ban lengths posted here, in the section entitled "Guideline Enforcement." If a user accumulates a large number of points in a short period of time, the Administration may consider a permanent ban, particularly for egregious offenses like blatant ERP, harassment, and other toxic behavior.

Thirdly, it is important to keep in mind that we do encourage people to embrace their individuality, but not at the cost of other members. Engaging in erotic content with minors can result in serious legal consequences, not only for those involved but for the site and the site owner. The internet being what it is, there is simply no way to verify someone's age properly because people can, have, and will find ways to lie and circumvent such systems. Even if you ask for a picture of their ID or driver license (which is a violation of privacy and something we very much discourage), pictures can be altered very easily. For a more in-depth discussion on why we do not allow erotic content, please read here.

Finally, as you say, we cannot enforce behavior off the site, nor do we try. That is quite out of our jurisdiction. What we can do is control what is linked from our site, hence our "encouraging ERP" rule. What consenting adults do in their own space is their business. What anyone does here on RpNation or on our associated Discord server, or what anyone uses our space to advertise for, is our business because we are legally and morally responsible for everything that is posted here.

Firstly, this is a privately-owned and privately-run site. Therefore the owner of the site has the final word on what content is allowed on it.

Secondly, the only "retribution" that a member is "threatened" with (your words, not mine) are warnings if the member is breaking the site rules. These warnings come with consequences because we all know that people in general don't pay much attention without consequences. Warnings result in temporary bans of a duration dependent on the amount of warning points a member has, including the current warning. You may find those temporary ban lengths posted here, in the section entitled "Guideline Enforcement." If a user accumulates a large number of points in a short period of time, the Administration may consider a permanent ban, particularly for egregious offenses like blatant ERP, harassment, and other toxic behavior.

Thirdly, it is important to keep in mind that we do encourage people to embrace their individuality, but not at the cost of other members. Engaging in erotic content with minors can result in serious legal consequences, not only for those involved but for the site and the site owner. The internet being what it is, there is simply no way to verify someone's age properly because people can, have, and will find ways to lie and circumvent such systems. Even if you ask for a picture of their ID or driver license (which is a violation of privacy and something we very much discourage), pictures can be altered very easily. For a more in-depth discussion on why we do not allow erotic content, please read here.

Finally, as you say, we cannot enforce behavior off the site, nor do we try. That is quite out of our jurisdiction. What we can do is control what is linked from our site, hence our "encouraging ERP" rule. What consenting adults do in their own space is their business. What anyone does here on RpNation or on our associated Discord server, or what anyone uses our space to advertise for, is our business because we are legally and morally responsible for everything that is posted here.
Hence the reason why I said have a general warning on your site that you are in no way responsible, you simply add that to your terms which people agree to, and have it posted on your site that helps protect you, in my opinion it is not yours or any other website owner to be looking after minors that is the responsibility of the parents not yours.

We already have a section of our guidelines covering this;
Users may recruit to conduct roleplays off-site using various messaging programs - such as Discord, Skype or e-mail - as long as it is not done to violate other RpNation policies. RpNation and Staff are not responsible or liable for any content or conduct committed offsite or not in the RpNation Discord server. It is highly recommended to not share contact information publicly.

However, it would be morally/ethically wrong putting minors at risk as well as our adult-age users at legal risk. While it is indeed the parent's responsibility to raise their child it is our legal responsibility to comply with U.S. Law. We have minors (ages 13+ due to COPPA laws) and therefore sexual roleplay is prohibited on RpNation webspace as well as using the webspace to solicit for it.

There are other roleplay sites which cater to adults for content that is inappropriate for minors. No one is forcing users to use our service and they can go somewhere else if they do not agree to the site's policies.

However, it would be morally/ethically wrong putting minors at risk as well as our adult-age users at legal risk. While it is indeed the parent's responsibility to raise their child it is out legal responsibility to comply with U.S. Law. We have minors (ages 13+ due to COPPA laws) and therefore sexual roleplay is prohibited on RpNation webspace as well as using the webspace to solicit for it.

There are other roleplay sites which cater to adults for content that is inappropriate for minors. No one is forcing users to use our service and they can go somewhere else if they do not agree to the site's policies.

L littleboy Did you mean to just quote my reply or was there an accidental click to post?

However, it would be morally/ethically wrong putting minors at risk as well as our adult-age users at legal risk. While it is indeed the parent's responsibility to raise their child it is our legal responsibility to comply with U.S. Law. We have minors (ages 13+ due to COPPA laws) and therefore sexual roleplay is prohibited on RpNation webspace as well as using the webspace to solicit for it.

you cannot babysit the worlds children, and hold their hands, Nor should this site or any other site use that as a excuse to violate peoples privacy and individualism of what they do off of this site and that is precisely what this site is doing regardless of how you look at it.

Lol at this guy.

Site owners may be held liable for illegal activity linked to their site if reasonable action is not taken to prevent and or stop it. Especially if emotional or physical harm occurs as a result.

Give me a break.

Last edited:
you cannot babysit the worlds children, and hold their hands, Nor should this site or any other site use that as a excuse to violate peoples privacy and individualism of what they do off of this site and that is precisely what this site is doing regardless of how you look at it.
As already stated, we are not here to stop people doing what they want off site, we just cannot and will not tolerate users using our site to advertise for it. If you want to ERP so badly, there are plenty of RP sites that allow it.
I strongly suggest you actually read through what the admins have said to you (plus the links provided) since it seems you haven't really taken it on board.
We're not babysitting anyone. We're keeping ourselves and our users safe from any legal actions that could be taken.

We are legally required to do what you call "babysit the worlds children" in that we have to follow the laws regarding minors. Again, you are not being forced to use the site and can freely cease using it. We are not invading anyone's privacy. I think you need to sit down and thoroughly research as to what invasion of privacy means and not your personal interpretation so you can do as you please here.

Invasion of Privacy
the tort of unjustifiably intruding upon another's right to privacy by appropriating his or her name or likeness, by unreasonably interfering with his or her seclusion, by publicizing information about his or her private affairs that a reasonable person would find objectionable and in which there is no legitimate public interest, or by publicizing information that unreasonably places him or her in a false light​

RpNation does not do any of the following things listed above.

You can easily google the legalities of what you are arguing. Even Avvo covers this.

As far as Individualism, this is an ideology. If it's your own personal ideology then fine, but it is not the site's nor does it hold up court as a reason to violate laws regarding minors.

The Staff have come to a consensus that you need to read The Handbook content and the previously linked PSA about ERP.

If you still are going to try and argue your point the blunt answer is "no." You are free to not use RpNation and find a site that works for you. We are not breaking the laws for you.

The moderators and administrators have answered this thoroughly, so my response may be superfluous. With that said, I want to add my $0.02 as a member, lest anyone thinks it's only "the mean mods and admins" providing this logical response.

That fact that the people who run this website have established a rule that you cannot use the site to advertise for ERP offsite is not a violation of your privacy. Violating your privacy would be, for instance, reading your private emails on your private off-site email account. Critical point: the rules don't prohibit you from writing ERP with anyone off-site. You just can't write it or advertise for it on this site.

The rules here against advertising for ERP roleplay offsite do not "violate people's individualism". They do not prevent you from being independent or self-reliant. And they cannot "violate" the social theory of individualism.

Kaerri, PanOtterPus, and Fyuri have covered it perfectly, but for the folks in the back: RpN is a website you can use for FREE to connect and write with other roleplayers. The site owner, admins, and moderators spend a lot of time and money to provide this service to the public (to you) for FREE. No one is forcing you to use the site. If you don't like the rules, don't join/use RpN. There are plenty of options on the internet to find ERP. Even setting aside the very real legal consequences for the site owner that are well documented (see Kaerri's and Furyi's links), joining a site that explicitly prohibits ERP then crying persecution when you can't advertise for it is the epitome of entitlement.

I also wanna add my $0.02, and I wanna say that I'm pretty neutral towards RPN, if not just a smidge bleh towards this site (I just got a small gripe about the ignore system, which is what keeps me from being a supporter, but aside that I like this place alright I suppose) so you know I'm not hopping to it's defense dutifully or anything...

That said, dude, it's ok: They're not trying to dictate what you can and can't do off this site (Though, I will say, I don't think you were the first person to think they were saying something along these lines? I'm not sure if I can recall where or when or who also felt this way, but I know I've seen this sentiment before and the mods have also addressed this to them as well? Maybe it was the phrasing because for a moment I thought this as well... Hmm... Any one else please correct me if I'm wrong... ) and if they were I would have left and never come back a long time ago. They're probably not gonna, like, ban a couple who met here or something and decided to ERP privately offsite, or two RPers who met onsite and started an RP offsite (like on discord or w/e) and it led to/developed ERP or at least ERP scenes, they're just making sure no peeps here USE THIS SITE TO LOOK FOR THAT SPECIFICALLY.

It's perfectly alright for them to cover their bases, and, no offense, but you're borderline giving the mods a hard time for just doing their jobs... Just a little bit (again, no bias, as the only mod I'm familiar/friends (I hope D: ) with is Kaerri, so you know I'm just speaking from a polite perspective and not like an overly friendly one).

They're less dictating what you do offsite and more making sure they're covering their T's and dotting their I's, because if, god forbid, a parent DOES find out their 13 year old is RPing with an older member of this site and decides they don't like that and wanna sue D.Wiz, this sites creator, he can show proof he went through hoops and loops to make sure it was heavily discouraged and ban-worthy offenses should the RP be inappropriate (and, being a teacher, believe you me when I say YES A PARENT WILL DO THAT. THEY WILL MORE THAN DO THAT. YOU SHOULD HAVE AN IDEA HOW LITIGIOUS OUR SOCIETY IS WHERE TEACHERS, EVEN THOSE OF PRESCHOOLERS WHO NEED PHYSICAL AFFECTION, CAN BARELY TOUCH A CHILD WITHOUT RAISING RED FLAGS TO THEM. Please don't think a parent to a minor totally WON'T come for D.wiz (and us!) should they catch wind of and hate what their child's RP partner is doing. Some of us refuse to RP with those under 18 for this specific reason. Is it unreasonable? Absolutely. Is it also possible? YES.)

Again, I totally get it, and it did sound like it sorta at first to me too, but what you're pointing out isn't contradictions, man... It's basically complaining to the mods and D.Wiz for setting boundaries they LEGALLY have to...

Right now, You're basically the dad/mom who is complaining at the staff and demanding to speak to their manager because they put ice cubes in their iced latte...

Yeah, dude, that's you. Right now. Please stop. There aren't contradictions in those rules.

Look, Lets Break this down in a nutshell shall we,By this sites own rules which I will quote below:

Users are also forbidden from using RpNation to solicit, imply, instruct, or lure others (offsite) to conduct erotic roleplay or share erotic content.

The key words is off site, So no matter How you choose to justify that, rather it be for protection of minors, or what have you it still comes down to a very simple fact, The people who run this site are attempting to dictate and control what someone may or may not do off of this site, That is what it comes down to pure and simple, What a person chooses to do off of this site is strictly their business Not this sites rather it be erotic role plays or not, and no one is going to ever agree to that.

Here is a very simple to think about, if you were to ask One billion people does a web site have the right to tell you what you may do off of their site Yes or NO, what do you think the majority of the answers are going to be?

You're ignoring the first part entirely;
Users are also forbidden from using RpNation to solicit, imply, instruct, or lure others offsite to conduct erotic roleplay or share erotic content.
See that little section at the start? It says users cannot use RpNation to solicit for that content. We've explained this already and it's clear you're refusing to read anything. So, we're done here and going to lock this.

You've been informed of the rules, why they are the way they are, that you can go somewhere else and that the rules are staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back