• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
The sun was nearly bloodred as it sank down the yellow sky, coloring everything it touched with the dull light customary of this world's twilight. It distorted the faces of the few people scattered about the market--downcast eyes with disinterested expressions twisted into something other and strange. The late hour meant the sky was darkening, the stands were closing, and everyone seemed tired and distracted, ready for the day's end. All these worked in her favor as Eris silently made her way through the market.

Her long, thin form was currently tucked into a hooded shawl, back bent like that of an old woman's. She had even stuck an old pipe into her mouth to add to the illusion, the only thing poking out from the shadow of the hood. She silently prided herself on this craftiness as she hobbled down the stands, quick, long fingers snatching up whatever goods weren't secured on watched closely enough--meat dried and cut into strips, two apples, a half-eaten chunk of bread one stand owner had set down and forgotten, and a strand of green stones that gleamed oddly in the light. This last item she didn't strictly
need, but the glittering gems had snagged her attention, and so much of her time was spent prowling like an animal or an outlaw, and wouldn't it be nice to feel like a lady for a change? (She also figured she could resell them for a pretty little penny if she got bored of them, but that was beside the point.)

A square of chocolate wrapped in wax and a bottle of wine. She'd have to make her treasures last, but she was tempted to have herself a feast tonight. Sometimes it was nice eating actual food and not something you had to pin down and suck dry. She continued on, easily swiping item after item into her bag or the many pockets in her cloak. No one had even spared her a glance, which was good, of course, but there was no fun to that. She croaked out a greeting in her best old-lady voice to a young man passing her by, who merely nodded and quickly turned away. She snorted a little laugh to herself, pleased by her own craftiness, as she made her final stop.

Here an array of fish of all sizes were out on display. Just how big of a fish could she snatch? Eris was pondering whether to play it safe or take it as a challenge when she spotted something strange at the stand next door. One of those human-looking things--though everyone here was so mixed up and mixed in it was hard to tell what had ever been human originally--but this was different. Normally she would have laughed at its rounded ears or dull little teeth and immediately lost interest, but this--
her, it was a girl one--was...interesting. Maybe because Eris couldn't tell what species she was mixed with or because of the intense look in her eyes as she inspected the stall's wares--she really had no idea why she had spared this woman a second glance, but still she craned her neck to get a glimpse of the other's face.

Oh, hello.

"You're not planning on paying for that, are you?" A hand heavy as a brick landed on her shoulder, and she spun around, the fish loosely grasped in her hand flopping to the ground. The man holding her down was rugged and scarred--a seaman not to be trifled with. She trifled with him anyway.

"I just...thought this one looked rather familiar. You know, my husband--may he rest in peace--always swore he'd come back as a green fish, and you know, I just thought I'd check. Thought he'd been killed twice, the poor bastard."

The man grunted in what Eris stupidly hoped was a laugh, but sounded much too angry to be humorous. He ripped back her hood, exposing her stock-straight stance, angular features, and thick red hair tied back with old rope.

"You're no old woman. I know you."

The man's grip on her tightened. She shot another glance at the human she'd been so fascinated by.

Well, this is embarrassing.

Jasmine had been minding her own day as she always did. One human thing after another, no special powers or anything like that. Just a pure human and she thought that was normal. But it wasn't. Her day had been mediocre in the market so far, she had planned on making dinner for a blind date that she had later this evening and wanted something special so Jasmine had been looking at all the exotic meats, spices, fruits, and much more on sale.

The black-haired woman had come to a stop to inspect some fish at a local stall, as the daughter of a fisherman, she knew her fish and how much they could run for. Jasmine was in the middle of negotiating the price of a pretty common species of fish when she noticed an old woman looking at her. Or what seemed to be an old woman, she was never one to assume. Shaking off the feeling of the lady watching her, Jasmine returned to her bargaining about the fish.

You could imagine the look of shock on her face when the stubborn man hurriedly walked to the lady. And now she was holding a fish. What? Who would wanna steal a fish? Another round of shock came onto her face when the 'old lady' wasn't an old lady at all. But rather a quite attractive young woman. Noticing the glace cast towards her, she sighed and made her way over. "Sir, we were not done discussing the price of your very 'rare' fish. You can finish this conversation another time" She said as she walked to the scary-looking man.

"The money I'd get for that fish wouldn't compare with what the queen would pay me for turning this beast in. The bounty on her head would make me rich for the rest of my life." The man pulled her backward, the hard yank knocking loose a couple of the items she'd stolen. The apples rolled across the floor.

"Man," she whispered.

"Streets'll be a little safer without her like running around. You go on home, girl. I've got this covered here."

"Oh, cut it out!" Eris complained, finally breaking in. Her face heated with embarrassment as she snuck a look at the girl out of the corner of her eye. "Enough with the dramatics. I haven't done anything to you." That I can remember. She tried to shove him away with her free hand, but he snatched her wrist in a grip stronger than her own.

The man laughed, and it was an ugly sound. "To me, no. But my daughter's husband--well, I'm sure you don't even remember his face. Tell me--was he worth it?"

Eris blanched, her skin running cold. No, she didn't remember--but it wasn't really her, was it? What that thing did was out of her control, she almost never could recall what it did in her body. Her heart beat harder, faster. It wasn't her fault. She didn't do it. She didn't--

She tasted blood and realized her canines had pierced through her lip, elongating in defense. Had it happened again? But she came to in the same place, it felt only like a second--

But her hands had pierced through something--her nails, now drawn into talons and stuck into the man's chest. She hadn't fully turned, but it had been enough.

A dry gasp rattled in her chest. Fearful murmurs had turned to shouts and cries for help as the few people left realized what was going on. No, no, no. She hadn't meant to do anything.

"There! Someone hold them until the queen's guard arrives!"

Them? She'd momentarily forgotten about the dark-haired girl, but what would they want with her?

She couldn't stop to check if the man was dead or alive. She was too afraid to. Instead, she stopped and turned to the girl beside her.

"Run."

Jasmine's anger flared at the man when he tried to brush her off, but nothing happened. Just a spike in emotion. But when she saw the horrific scene play out, she could barely breathe. What had just happened? In her 23 years of living (almost 24) she hadn't seen anything like that. Ever. So when the woman said to run, she did and diligently followed her. The woman had caused it, might as well stick with her!

They got to a run-down alleyway and Jasmine was left, panting and gasping for air. Shit. She had dropped her inhaler! She could barely breathe right now, both from the panic and the insane amount of running she did to try and keep up with the attractive woman. Jasmine's gray eyes looked at the woman she'd been following for the last few minutes "What the hell?! What was that?!" Jasmine managed to yell through breaths

"Hey, I said run, not run after me!" Eris whipped around, face flushed not from exertion, but the excitement of the sudden turn of events. On top of it, the human's presence wasn't helping. She'd been so focused on getting away that she'd barely registered the wheezing breaths and the pounding footsteps behind her. Man, I've gotten sloppy.

Stopping briefly in the thick patch of woods they had run through, Eris took a breath, smoothing back wild hair with the flat of her hands to regain one kind of composure. "What just happened is that man grabbed me and tried to turn me in, is what." She glanced around, pointed ears nearly perked up with the strain of listening, brownish eyes scanning the treeline. No one yet, but who knew how long that would last.

"You should go," she said, turning back to th girl. "You think things are bad now, they could get worse if they found you with me."

Jasmine coughed and glared towards the woman who'd started it all. Of course, she would state the fucking obvious! "You dragged me into this, and now you're gonna try and drag me out. They already know that I've been running with you. Probably the ugly-ass bird-men are searching the skies right now" She said, after finally finding her backup inhaler at the bottom of her bag. Her hands started to rub her temples, still unaware of what type of monster the woman was. And she should probably learn her name now. But that was for later.

Then Jasmine finally identified where they were. In a goddamn forest. How fan-fucking-tastic. Jasmine cussed a lot when she was angry, or stressed for that matter. "Where in the hell am I?" The black-haired woman questioned, more towards herself than anything. Her gray eyes tried to look around for a sign, or anything of the sort to try and identify where she was.

Eris was fairly calm, considering the situation, but she'd long ago learned to force herself into a relaxed state to keep from turning. The heat began to recede from her cheeks as she fussed with her cloak, checking her pockets to see what treasures had survived. She couldn't afford to think about the man and the state she'd left him in.

"I dragged you?" Eris laughed shortly. It wasn't a pleasant sound--most people would kindly call it "grating," punctuated by a snort. "You're the one who followed me. But"--she sighed, wrapping a strand of red hair around her finger in a show of cocky easiness--"you did try to help me...in your own ineffectual way. But the intention was there." She scanned the area once more, focused once again on the sky. They couldn't stay here much longer.

"All right, I'll do my best to help you and get things back to normal," she said, completely ignoring anything else the girl had said.
"Don't worry, if you have to be stuck with someone, I might be your best bet. I'll keep them from doing anything to you." Eris didn't mention the only reason someone would be after the girl was because of her. She grinned, exposing sharp teeth, though the point of the left one was chipped off.

Jasmine stared at her as she watched Eris say she was the strongest. Sure wasn't with her self-restraint. Shaking off the dissing thought. she kept following Eris "I'm Jasmine..." She mumbled after a few minutes of walking in awkward silence.

Great, now she had missed her date, and wouldn't have time to go back home or do any of the things she had planned to do. Great going Jasmine, real smart move getting involved with everything you see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back