• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic This Fractured Sky of Ours

"No problem." Mark grabbed another cigarette and gave it to Erica. After a bit of fumbling he managed to find his own light and lit them both up. "Can't wait to blow up some of those Skylark scum. I always wanted one of those Pancakes, can turn and twist like a snake covered in oil." Mark let out a puff on the cigarette. He seemed to be doing well so far, not fumbling his words or being awkward. This assignment might not be so bad after all. Still, Valais didn't exactly have the reputation of 'safest air base in the world'.
Nogoodname Nogoodname

0824 Hours
Valais Air Base, Commander's Office
Adrian didn't say anything as Mitch requested or rather demanded to have HQ's orders to have his Tempest control key taken away from him be rescinded and tried to justify it by pointing out his dedication to the Company and what not. He did note the attempt by the pilot to calm himself down and to even show a bit of respect. Even if his initial tone was grounds for disciplinary action in a stricter Officer's opinion. He also noted that Jin was hanging around too. Maybe he's curious as to what is going on. Once Mitch was done with his.... request, Adrian snubbed out his cigarette on the ashtray, adding to the steadily growing number of old cigarette butts there. He took a deep breath and took a seat back at his desk.

"Dedication.... Hm. Well, I admire your spirit, Marzuki, but I cannot rescind that order to have your control key given back to you. As good of a pilot as you are, you have caused plenty of collateral damage at your old base. Besides, its not even my orders. Its HQ's decision so my answer to your question is simple. No. You may not have your control key back until you have proven yourself. Is there anything else?" Adrian calmly said, keeping eye contact with Mitch the entire time. His expression unchanging. He then turned his attention to Jin.

"What about you? Got your own questions, pilot?"

Sludge Sludge

0825 Hours
Valais Air Base, Lounge
"Allie, Mark and Erica eh? Heh. A bunch of fresh chicks is what I see if you ask me. No offense, Kids." Julia said with a small smirk and shaking her head slightly before turning her attention back to Allie. She gave it some thought as to how to answer that.

"How long? Heh, I've been here for about a month by now. Crow ans his his crew has been here even longer, I think that should be them coming back by now." Julia said as the sound of a plane flying overhead was heard. "Now if you wanna know, the Commander has been around here for 6 years. There should be a picture of the original squadron on the table there. I think its the one that's face down, Commander's orders."

Julia's explanation was cut off by Mark asking for a light. Julia wordlessly stepped forward as she dug around her pockets, silently cursing as she the box of matches she fished turned out empty but it seems that Mark had his own light. Chuckling softly, she ruffled her own hair before extinguishing her cigarette but on a nearby ashtray. She quietly listened to the two lovebirds chat before Mark brought up wanting to see some action and to pilot a Pancake. That little admission made her burst out laughing.

"Seriously man? You want to pilot one of those silly disks with wings?! And please, you'll hate yourself for asking for action. Out here, we get deployed so much, we sometimes end up with at most 2 hours of sleep every day. I remember sleeping in the cockpit once." Julia said with a smirk.

Nogoodname Nogoodname Berries Berries Fishman Lord Fishman Lord

0826 Hours
Valais Air Base, Sick Bay
"Alright. Thanks, Doc."
"Of course, Crowe. Now get some rest at least before handing in that report, dear."
"No, no Ms Greyson. I'll get that rest after I hand my report. You care too much for us disposable pilots."
"Oh hush! Don't belittle yourself. Now run along before I really tranquilize you."

There was the sound of a door opening and closing. The shifting of papers and a sigh. June would have been tucked into the warm bed and surrounded by curtains. The ceiling was white and the whitewash was starting to flake away. There is an IV drip attached to June's arm and the sound of an ECG monitor. It is soon joined in by someone humming as their chair is wheeled back. The sound of footsteps come closer and the curtain is drawn back to reveal a motherly looking, middle aged nurse with blond hair. She looked a little shocked when she realized that June was awake but quickly smiled warmly.

"Oh hello dear. It seems you had a nasty little accident earlier. Just rest here and don't worry about anything. I'm sure the Commander would understand."

Panzer Panzer

June had awoken in a familiar place. It almost saddened him; the amount of times that he had seen this place seemed to be higher than any other pilot. What was he doing? Was he normal? June could not help but look back on the short memory of his day. All the pilots that he had met held a warm and healthy body that seemed fit for piloting. Everyone here seemed healthy and lively, all except June.

His thoughts were interrupted by the eerie noise of a chair rolling across the floor. He looked over to the curtains to find the nurse, whos appearance alone could calm June. As she gave him a warm smile, June forced another feeble and tired smile to give back. His smile soon faded as he looked back to himself; wrapped up in a warm blanket. Despite the comfort, his thoughts still gave him chills down his neck and spine. He couldn't be colder.

As she began explaining his situation, June couldnt help the fact that he was once again lost in thought. He was barely listening.

As she ended her sentence, June looked up from his bed and hesitated. After a brief moment of thinking, June finally spoke:
"What of my buddy in the Hangar? I don't want to keep them waiting." he spoke softly, before returning his eyes to himself.
It wasnt the original question, but he could not bring himself to ask in the moment. It burned a hole into his chest, which ached along with his heart. He knew that he must ask it, lest he lose his chance.
"What is wrong with me, Doc?" He asked, not bothering to turn his head to face her. He glared down at the body beneath the covers, his eyes beginning to tear up.
After all these years,-from elementary to now- he may finally get an answer to why he was different to the rest.
Wandering Grim Hollow Wandering Grim Hollow

Erica took a long drag of her own cigarette and raised an eyebrow, fresh chicks! She's show her! The redhead let out a breath of smoke and shook her head, she was about to say something but it seemed the conversation was moving on.. Erica wouldn't let this die so easily though... The girls train of thought was derailed completely though when mark spoke up, and she let out a laugh "Ahaha! You really wanna fly one of those fucking Frisbees?" she asked, shifting her gaze back towards the boy. "I'm sticking with my Tempest, man that thing is a beauty, fastest plane I've ever flown by far!" she said with a proud grin for her new fighter.
Fishman Lord Fishman Lord

Valais Air Base, Commander's office
Mitch Mazurski

"I have been told this during my previous assignment." Mitch stepped forward, seemingly forgetting that there was another pilot in the room. "And the assignment before that."

"Just how many years do I need to lay down before the HQ decides that I have finally proven myself?" The tall pilot stepped even closer, now facing his commander up front, just a bit outside of entering his personal space. Perhaps at this moment Mitch did not see the person in front of himself as another clone, but rather as one of the many faces of the system that kept insisting that he was the same as his old self.

"There will be no use for the HQ's favor in my grave." He said. Behind his back the knuckles of his left fist were steadily losing color.

Wandering Grim Hollow Wandering Grim Hollow Berries Berries

Last edited:
"Don't get me wrong, Seventh Man has gotten me through some tough times, but credit where credit is due, Skylark made a good plane with the Pancake." He let out a puff of smoke. "And I'd rather shoot some fuckers down and get shot myself than get bombed in a night raid. I'd prefer action to sleep." He'd been in a few fights before, shot down two planes total, which meant even if he died now he'd be a net profit for the corp. Hey, always a silver lining. "These damn planes would fit in in WW2. I wish I could fly some up-to-date stuff, something that isn't so damn old-looking."
Wandering Grim Hollow Wandering Grim Hollow Nogoodname Nogoodname

The boys second comment caused Erica to raise an eyebrow "Tha fuck are you talking about? We are flying the "up to date stuff"" she chided, reaching up to give mark a quick nudge on the shoulder. A slight chuckle escaped her lips, and she shook her head dismissively "some people just can't be happy with what they have I guess" she teased, taking a long drag of her cigarette before ashing it on a nearby trey. Her gaze turned back to Julia, and she grinned over at the girl "So, since you've got a bit more experience, what's it like around here? What are we gonna be doing?" she asked curiously, not so subtly excited for their first big assignment. Erica was sick and tired of waiting, she wanted action!
Fishman Lord Fishman Lord Wandering Grim Hollow Wandering Grim Hollow

0829 Hours
Valais Air Base, Sick Bay
"Oh I'm sure your friend will be happier if you rested dear. Seems the Commander has a softspot for you, first day and already he's given you the day off! How lovely!" The nurse soothingly said as she checked June's pulse. A name tag with the name S.Greyson can be seen pinned to her uniform as she reached over cover June with the blanket once she was done.

"Pulse is fine... BP is a little low but its in the acceptable ranges... What's that? Oh, you... want to know what's wrong?" Nurse Greyson's smile faltered slightly. She kept glancing back at the open file that sat on her desk.

"W-well... I'm afraid that I'm not so sure myself, dear... I know, why don't you get some rest so I can perform some tests? Maybe then I'll be able to-" The Nurse started before the air raid siren started to blare, making the Nurse jump slightly in surprise.

"Alright dear, stay here and don't move! I'll be right back!" The Nurse said, quickly grabbing a nearby medkit and rushing out the door. The air raid siren was silenced as the base's PA crackled to life.

"All pilots report to hanger 2 for briefing." That was the only message before the room was plunged back into silence. Other than the steady beeps of the ECG.

Panzer Panzer

0829 Hours
Valais Air Base, Lounge
"Hahahaha! You named your plane? Sweet, must mean you've flying long enough to actually care about the thing that way. As for me, I don't like naming my planes. You get.... too attached." Julia chuckled darkly at that last bit. Her thoughts going about wondering how long has this Mark fellow served and if so, which alliteration is this one. Her train of thought was derailed by Erika's energetic question. Julia could barely stop herself from chuckling. Pilots like this bundle of energy is a welcome addition to this dreary base. She was just about to answer the girl's question when the air raid siren started sounding. She quickly pushed herself off the couch and headed for the door.

"Looks like its your lucky day, Chickedees! We have something going on now!" Julia shouted over the din of the siren as it slowly died down and was replaced by a scratchy PA announcement calling all pilots to Hanger 2 for a brief. As Julia led the small group there, she wondered what was going on and who was responsible. It could be a drill but they just had one yesterday. That could only mean...

Nogoodname Nogoodname Fishman Lord Fishman Lord

0829 Hours
Valais Air Base, Commander's Office
"Not one step forward, Marzuki." Adrian calmly said, meeting Mitch's glare with a cold one of his own. A sharp, metallic click was heard as the hammer of his drawn M1911 was pulled back. Its barrel was pointed in Mitch's chest region and Adrian's finger was already on the trigger. His emotionless face finally showing one emotion, annoyance.

"This is why I hate gung-ho pilots like you. Did you ever stop to consider that as one of you, I'm not like most Commanders? That I would be sympathetic to your complaints?" Adrian slowly started his counterattack. Getting back up from his chair while keeping the pistol trained on Marzuki. At this range, he won't miss any vital regions.

"Did you not read in between the lines to the things I'm telling you? I told you to prove yourself and all I see now is a huge asshead with shit for brains demanding things from an Officer he just met. You know what most people would do? Sure, they won't shoot you but I bloody will. So give me a reason, Pilot Marzuki. Give me a goddamn reason to finally use this pistol." Adrian said with an almost bloodcrazed expression, the annoyance now proving to be anger. Yet not all of it was directed at Mitch. Funnily enough, he was angry with HQ for dumping this problem pilot on his Air Base! Things were almost going out of hand when someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." Adrian said, not even shifting his gaze as Crowe opened the door and stuck his head into the office. The newcomer's face broke into a grin. "Bad timing?"

"What do you need, Crowe?"
"Just reporting back from recon, Sir. Its as you guessed. Skylark has a new base within bombing range. What shall we do next?"
"Hm.... Get a proper report on my desk before lunch. I wan-" His orders were interrupted by the ringing from the desk phone. Adrian moved to answer while keeping his gun trained on Marzuki.

"Valais Air Base. Hm? What....? NOW YOU TELL US?! Bastards!" Adrian yelled, slamming the phone down and reaching over to a lever on the wall. He gave it a deft pull and an air raid siren began to sound. After letting it ring for a few minutes, he flipped the lever back and it died down as he flicked on the switch to the base's PA system.

"All pilots report to Hanger 2 for briefing." Adrian simply ordered before turning the PA off and stowing his pistol back. "You all have your orders. Move to Hanger 2. That means you too, Marzuki. Crowe?" Adrian gave out orders as he shook out one more cigarette.

"Aye Sir. Let's go Rambo." Crowe cheekily said, grabbing Marzuki on the arm with a surprising amount of force and pulled him out of the office Their next destination: Hanger 2.

Sludge Sludge

Valais Air Base.
Medical Center
The cry of the siren shrieked over their conversation, suprising both him and the nurse. June's eyes slowly ttailed up to the speaker, his heart beginning to ache as a level of concern and fear arose within him. That siren always gave him the creeps- it was something that he feared since his recruitment. He didnt want to believe himself when he felt it, but his cowardice was seemingly inspired by that damned noise. He then watched hopelessly as the nurse rushed out the room with her medkit in hand.

As his eyes dragged about the room, they landed on the ECG that beeped constantly. His eyes followed the wires that led from it.
He hesitated, doubting his movement, as a decent portion of his mind told him to obey the nurse's order. He needed some rest anyways.

But that siren. It dug through the back of his mind, as fear and frustration began to grip at the controls. After a while, he couldn't help his own situation. In a blind panic, he gripped the electros and began ripping them off of his body, one-by-one. After a short moment of unlatching these constraining wires, he broke free of the bed's sheets (After some difficulty.) and jumped back onto his feet. His bkdy was not grateful of this sudden change in his stance, so he received a stinging pain in the back if his skull. His balance was also difficult to grasp, causing him to sway slightly as he stood. He pushed himself through it and -in the same fashion as the nurse- rushed through the doors and started for his hanger. Even if he didnt want to admit it, This "brave" stunt wasn't for glory or the fight. Infact, a part of him wanted to turn back, and another part wanted to simply hide sonewhere else. But,June knew that his social status was at stake. If this plan works, he may be seen as a useful member of the force by the others-maybe earn their respect in some way. At the very least, he could convince himself of that idea. As long as he didn't screw this up- he was fine...
Right?

Valais Air Base, Commander's office
Mitch Mazurski

Mitch had to cut his last demand short because of a sound that most pilots do not get to hear too often. A cold click. The person in front of him said something, but it did not matter. It was the tone of voice and the sight of a gun's muzzle being pointed at his chest that froze the pilot.

The commander stood up and started his counter-attack.

Read between the lines? Mitch suddenly tore his eyes from the muzzle and glared at the officer. Cut the bullshit, we both know you don't give a fuck about anyone as long as you get to hold onto that lovely chair of yours. And you still dare to call yourself 'one of us'! Mitch tilted his chin up, his knees tensed up, fists creaking under pressure. Don't do it. Don't try it. Calm yourself. Ah, yadda yadda, screw it!

Someone knocked on the door before the pilot did something that he would have certainly regretted later. The commander took a call. Then siren, and Mitch found himself being dragged away towards the hangers by some other pilot.

As he headed towards Hanger 2, Mitch tore his elbow out of the lock and screeched through his teeth. "I am fine. Thank you." Followed by a very unnatural smile, eyes open wide. Blood was still being pumped through him fast.

The conversation had left a bitter taste in the pilot's mouth. No. It was the kind of feeling when you try to crush a fat rat with a sole of your boot. Except the rat did not do anything to you and turns out to be twice your size apparently... I messed up somewhere, he thought.

Oh shit, I slipped up again. The whole tech limitation isn't common knowledge, I need to remember that. Thankfully an alarm interrupted anyone who would have gotten too suspicious of him. "Oh shit, are we under attack? Time to fuck up some Skylarkers!" Of course, with this many new pilots it was probably just a drill to train them, but you never knew. He rushed out to the hangar to report, as he was asked to. The Seventh Man was sitting in the hangar, ready for battle. The other pilots were showing up in the large area as well, called by the intercom. Some of these people had little to no real combat experience, an actual attack could be very bad news. Mark had fought Skylark planes before, even shot one down, so he wasn't a newbie, but he wasn't an expert either. Still, if it was a real fight he was pretty sure he could hold his own. Some of the others though, the fresh pilots like Erica, he wasn't so sure about. Guess the only way to find out was to see if it was an actual attack and see how everyone fought if it was.

Erica blinked, her head whipping around in surprise as she heard the blaring alarm ring out, completely derailing her train of thought. "Fuckin' right let's do this!" she cried out, grinning wide as she followed the rest of the group towards the hanger flicking her cigarette into an ashtray as she left, suddenly feeling a wave of butterflies in her chest. It was finally time to see some action! And Erica just couldn't wait to get started. As soon as she got into the hanger proper she was making for her tempest, ready to get out there as soon as possible. The others were there, and preparing as well, she wondered just what they were about to do here... but she didn't want to just go out and ask.

0832 Hours
Valais Air Base, Hangar 2
"12 planes.... This is bad... Damn those lazy bums at the radar station...." Adrian furiously muttered as he brisk walked towards the Hangar. After that short smoke break, he was calm enough to call the radar station back and receive the proper report of approaching planes. 3 bombers, 2 heavy fighters and the rest were escorts. A standard quick bombing formation for Skylark but he hated the conflicting reports about the 3 bombers. While 2 of them were definitely Ursa Minors, there was an inability to confirm the third one due to some minor interference. Had it been another Ursa Minor, it would have been fine but the radar team was certain it was the dreaded Ursa Major. That literal flying fortress is well armed enough to escort itself with a number of decent gunners. Add the fact that it doesn't have much of a blind spot and you have a pain in the ass to take down. Also speaking of pains in the ass, it seems that at least everyone made it to the Hanger in time.

"Everyone is here on time. Good." Adrian stated as he got nearer to the Hangar and was close enough to be heard by those present without shouting too loudly. He waited for everyone to show that they were paying attention before starting his brief.

"As of 0700 hours, the Radar Station North of Cologne has detected planes approaching the German border before the radar was jammed by a passing thunderstorm. After 0822 hours, the radar was brought back online and they found the planes to be heading right here. To Valais Air Base. As such, I am calling for an escort mission to intercept the bombers before they get too close. All Tempest and Mistral pilots are ordered to sortie once this briefing is over. The rest will man the AA guns on the base. I will remain on standby in case the bombers are not shot down by the time the bombers enter visual range of this base." Adrian paused for a moment to make sure the pilots were still paying attention.

"Now then. Your targets are 2 Ursa Minor bombers, 1 bomber of unknown class, 2 Pumas, 3 Geminis, and 5 Pancakes. Be careful regarding that unknown bomber. If its an Ursa Minor, just follow standard bomber interception tactics but if its confirmed to be an Ursa Major, aim for the bomb bays or wing joints as soon as possible. Take it down before any of its gunners can get a bead on you. Any questions?"

Panzer Panzer Nogoodname Nogoodname Sludge Sludge Fishman Lord Fishman Lord

Erica whipped around as soon as Adrian entered the hanger and slid off the edge of her tempest to go listen to their briefing. The redhead listened closely and nodded in understanding, it was clear what she was supposed to do but man.. so many of them against so few pilots, she only hoped the AA team could manage that many targets. Excitement and nerves both welled within her and fought for her attention, she did her best to ignore both of them but it was clear she was ready to get out there. She took a quick glance around to the other pilots, giving a reassuring grin before shaking her head quickly "No sir!" she called out in response. She just hoped that things would go smoothly, this didn't bode well for a first mission....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back