Viewpoint Things you wish you'd see more in RPs?

It's why I've never tried, I feel like it would be hard to get to that point - plus I've never GM-d before.
I could start one when I have time (and by "when I have time" I mean, when I get around to finally posting the IC for a different roleplay I'm gming.)

I'd love to see more sci-fi roleplays around here! Fantasy is always the most popular genre, I get that, but like.... I want to see more giant robots, you know? More space pirates. Robot uprisings and shit like that. Do fantasy RPs even have corrupt CEOs? Is that a thing?

And walk-in RPs! Character sheets, plot? Where we're going, we don't need those. Just improv skills and a sense of whimsy!
An odd one to start off with: weird aliens.

I‘m a sucker for oddities. I love conceptual xenobiology. I like seeing how biology impacts psychology and how psychology impacts society. I like to see bizarre abominations and their skewed moralities. I like to see harsh, exotic environments create harsh, exotic creatures. But I perfectly understand why this is uncommon. Working around such bizarre physical and mental landscapes is a workout for a novel, let alone for an RP. Not to mention that any super biochemically different species might not even be able to survive in the same area as humans, which is an issue for most settings. But I would really, really appreciate it if the barest modicum of thought was put into the relationship between environment, biology and society when it comes to alien species.

Oddly specific and complex I know, but again, I’m a sucker for oddities.
Mysteries but I do get why these aren't as frequently done as it is quite hard to do it in a group setting unless it's making it up as everyone goes. Also mysteries where characters can actually die.

Role plays where characters have different motives and will flat out betray each other and have secrets, really wanted to do a GoT type roleplay where the characters weren't all good people but also weren't obviously bad as grey characters are pretty fun.

Superhero type roleplays that start off as fun goofy ones but then the bad guy emerges from the shadows and it's more of an overarching thing.

Hunger Games type thing where characters can actually die.

His Dark Materials/HP type stuff where it's a group of kids/teenagers with a mission/destiny and the rp plot grows with them.

Really wanted to do a medieval fantasy type thing with fate and a group of people trying to destroy fate and the gods and it would have been them trying to avoid the fates laid out for them.

Also more SciFi type stuff.
For all of your needs, I'm actually running a sci fi thread where people are on a space cruiser that will be crash landing onto a hostile world with very alien creatures. They will need to survive both the hostile flora and fauna where characters can and will die. There are rich people, poor people, engineers and crew so it will have plenty of dynamic for betrayal and backstabbing. Plus the mystery of what caused the crash in the first place.

Imagine the hero trying to save the day from someone trying to destroy death or disease or something overall cruel but necessary for life to continue unburdened. The hero is saving the day by allowing this necessary evil to continue.

Imagine the hero trying to save the day from someone trying to destroy death or disease or something overall cruel but necessary for life to continue unburdened. The hero is saving the day by allowing this necessary evil to continue.
I've gotta ask, is there something more to this.

Like, someone trying to cure death is something I would definitely want to stop but if someone is trying to get rid of, say, I dunno, fantasy measles or something than there's gotta be some other threat caused by them trying this.

An odd one to start off with: weird aliens.

I‘m a sucker for oddities. I love conceptual xenobiology. I like seeing how biology impacts psychology and how psychology impacts society. I like to see bizarre abominations and their skewed moralities. I like to see harsh, exotic environments create harsh, exotic creatures. But I perfectly understand why this is uncommon. Working around such bizarre physical and mental landscapes is a workout for a novel, let alone for an RP. Not to mention that any super biochemically different species might not even be able to survive in the same area as humans, which is an issue for most settings. But I would really, really appreciate it if the barest modicum of thought was put into the relationship between environment, biology and society when it comes to alien species.

Oddly specific and complex I know, but again, I’m a sucker for oddities.
No, that's valid as hell. I live for batshit-wild aliens. The only reason I care about sci-fi at all is being able to world-build aliens for days.
Superhero type roleplays that start off as fun goofy ones but then the bad guy emerges from the shadows and it's more of an overarching thing.
I could start one when I have time (and by "when I have time" I mean, when I get around to finally posting the IC for a different roleplay I'm gming.)
Please ping me in the thread if either of you decides to do this, hell, call me during the creation process. I'm willing to try my hand at co-GMing to see this happen.

No, that's valid as hell. I live for batshit-wild aliens. The only reason I care about sci-fi at all is being able to world-build aliens for days.

Please ping me in the thread if either of you decides to do this, hell, call me during the creation process. I'm willing to try my hand at co-GMing to see this happen.
Now I really want to try my hand at it but I've been on this site for a day and never GM-d a RP before.

Now I really want to try my hand at it but I've been on this site for a day and never GM-d a RP before.

The three of us could team up. Ultimate story maker team league go!

I enjoy realistic or slice of life roleplays. I want something with more complex emotions and darker themes I guess.

I would also like to see more 'game' styled roleplays. So more systems that use a dice or random number selections. I roleplayed in one once, and feel in love with the concept. I have to check out the thread to see what this site has to offer.

I enjoy realistic or slice of life roleplays. I want something with more complex emotions and darker themes I guess.

I would also like to see more 'game' styled roleplays. So more systems that use a dice or random number selections. I roleplayed in one once, and feel in love with the concept. I have to check out the thread to see what this site has to offer.

If these are things you and anyone else might be looking for, I can usually be relied upon to supply.

I don't have any direct contribution to the topic at hand; I'm a 'if it's not there I'll make it myself' kind of guy, but these threads have always been a place where I can let me people know (who may not otherwise look at the Dice section) that you might find what you want there.
Also this thread makes me think it could be time to revive my GM mentoring plan.

Bringing this thread back because I've really been craving a fantasy rp that's less sandboxy. Like, with concrete worldbuilding and stuff.

Bringing this thread back because I've really been craving a fantasy rp that's less sandboxy. Like, with concrete worldbuilding and stuff.

did someone say concrete worldbuilding

I swear I'll stop one of these days but you are absolutely welcome to consider my wares

Gratuitous, maybe even unsourceable magic or fake science kicking off the plot.

A bunch of earthlings come across a portal to a Narnia-esque realm? I'd like it.
A lunar eclipse somehow turns half the people in a city into vampires? Yessirree.
Chemical release causes all of the rats in the area to gain human speech and they want a place in society? Heck yeah!

Bonus points if every roleplayer involved collaborates in the top-downwards worldbuilding that explains why the weird things happened.

Gratuitous, maybe even unsourceable magic or fake science kicking off the plot.

A bunch of earthlings come across a portal to a Narnia-esque realm? I'd like it.
A lunar eclipse somehow turns half the people in a city into vampires? Yessirree.
Chemical release causes all of the rats in the area to gain human speech and they want a place in society? Heck yeah!

Bonus points if every roleplayer involved collaborates in the top-downwards worldbuilding that explains why the weird things happened.
That is so dumb.

I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back