Experiences Things you want to include in RPs but don't know how to

Araellion

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Have you ever learnt something interesting that you desperately want to use in an RP but have no settings or scenes where it would fit?

For example, I have recently been doing some research on how formal letters were written a few hundred years ago. All the little stylistic things and how some tiny details change the entire tone of the letter. And, even better, so many ways to be really passive-aggressive while still sounding unbearably formal. I have not been able to use this in an rp yet since none of my characters have had cause to write formal letters.

What are some things you've learnt that you really want to include in an rp if you ever got the chance?

I want to do a Red Dead Redemption 2 roleplay where Arthur Morgan either survives tuberculosis or doesn't get it at all, and after Dutch loses his sanity, Arthur finally leaves the gang and starts a new life under a new name. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a plot other than that.

Definitely more developed medieval fantasy settings. My general knowledge of the genre is a tad bit lacking since I'm mostly a sci-fi type of guy.

Definitely more developed medieval fantasy settings. My general knowledge of the genre is a tad bit lacking since I'm mostly a sci-fi type of guy.
If you have any questions about medieval-type worldbuilding (villages, towns, cities, armies, society, etc.) then hmu!

Oh boy. There's a ton of long-term stuff from various kinds of character arcs, to relationship dynamics, etc... but unfortunately proper set up and foreshadowing requires the RP to live long enough to see those payoffs, and requires partners with a mindset oriented less for immediate gratification and more for the long term story structure in their fulfillment. I've been lucky enough to have across some partners like that, though unfortunately a combination of personal tragedies, mental health issues and just life in general have stood against the continuation of such RPS. This isn't entirely unexpected though - RPs of such long duration, at the slower pace that I prefer are that much more vulnerable to IRL problems simply by their extension (though they do have the protection that short-term problems are not as disruptive because there already is an understanding of being able to wait for the partner anyway).

All the time, but that's where creativity can really shine
If you don't have a situation in which something can be used, make one.
Making it make sense and work in the story is also a challenge but a good one.
One example for me is getting a realistic news article into a story or even a news video segment

I have an RP idea for a setting built around old literature and pop culture, like Planetary or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It's something I can't work into the RP I help run. I'm just not sure how to advertise it in a way that branches out to a different audience than most multifandom RPs, and how to handle rules about fandom.

Oh boy. There's a ton of long-term stuff from various kinds of character arcs, to relationship dynamics, etc... but unfortunately proper set up and foreshadowing requires the RP to live long enough to see those payoffs, and requires partners with a mindset oriented less for immediate gratification and more for the long term story structure in their fulfillment. I've been lucky enough to have across some partners like that, though unfortunately a combination of personal tragedies, mental health issues and just life in general have stood against the continuation of such RPS. This isn't entirely unexpected though - RPs of such long duration, at the slower pace that I prefer are that much more vulnerable to IRL problems simply by their extension (though they do have the protection that short-term problems are not as disruptive because there already is an understanding of being able to wait for the partner anyway).
I can really relate to this. I love roleplays where the main focus is on character interactions and relationship dynamics, but out of each 10 roleplays I start, only 1 or 2 ever live long enough to even get the story moving. There's so many character dynamics and relationships I would like to explore, but most attempts tend to end in the roleplay being either never started, or dying before it gets far enough to see any of the character dynamics I want to explore. At the moment I really only have 1 long-lived RP that has managed to stand the test of time long enough to develop character arcs and explore interesting character dynamics. I would really love to be able to have a couple more.

I’d love to include some liminal/fever dream horror in a roleplay, but because that kind of aesthetic is largely visual, it’d be a creative effort to translate that into text, and especially into a plot with characters. But it’d be neat to write within a dream scape 8)

Have you ever learnt something interesting that you desperately want to use in an RP but have no settings or scenes where it would fit?

For example, I have recently been doing some research on how formal letters were written a few hundred years ago. All the little stylistic things and how some tiny details change the entire tone of the letter. And, even better, so many ways to be really passive-aggressive while still sounding unbearably formal. I have not been able to use this in an rp yet since none of my characters have had cause to write formal letters.

What are some things you've learnt that you really want to include in an rp if you ever got the chance?
This sounds so useful lmao, feel free to shoot some resources at me if you have time!

Lately I've been wanting some sort of high fantasy themed Battle Royale. I already have a vague plot and a bit of basic world building. Those ideas are just hard to get off the ground since characters are removed from the action by the very nature of Battle Royale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back