Experiences Things that instantly make you drop an RP

You ask me to make you breakfast. I make you some pancakes, eggs, toast, and orange juice.

I serve you this breakfast.

You don't tell me oh well pancakes aren't my favorite and this toast is a little dry.

You say - Geek why did you make me breakfast? I want dinner. Preferably a steak dinner.
While I get what you're trying to say, this is a bit of a bad analogy. I mean, this isn't as much as a secret rule as a contradiction of a previous rule.

Fair enough but the whole point is that your just making up rules after the fact and expecting people to follow them

I hate troll sheet character... Those people who join in the rp with the same name as your character with a chuunibyou backstory and powers that breaks the given current setting. (all characters are at this level of abilities then special flower decided to make a vague overpowered ability that utilizes BS explanations)

I explicitly left an rp when the whole issue persisted.

When a character is a control freak.

I never saw this until recently, but in an RP I joined, two players decided on a father and son character. Nothing was wrong and the roleplay started.
The roleplay was a fantasy where personal artefact of a person could grant a power to the owner. That was when the Father character confisticate the Son's artefact (A wristwatch) saying it's too much power for a teenager like him. It got so frustrating since all I can do is see while the Father basically control all the Son's action since he has the Son's artefact. The Son brought this up on OOC and to the GM, but he got ignored.

Agh, it's not necessarily powerplay as the Father didn't do anything that he wouldn't reasonably be able to, but it's very annoying.

When the GM describes their character as the main character

If there's someone on my personal shitlist interested in the RP - it means I've either got to get a character sheet in ASAP and spread my fingerprints all over everything so they can't have it, or keep searching.

When bra size is in the character sheet. >.>

When bra size is in the character sheet. >.>

Or whenever someone starts obsessively describing female breasts.

Like real life human females do not spend that much of their day to day life caring about their breasts. The only thing that draws attention to them is discomfort ( ill-fitting bra, that time of the month, etc. ) OR when you accidentally drop food down the front of your shirt.

But like some people act like a female is just boobs that have sprouted a person shaped growth that they have to lug around after them.

Or whenever someone starts obsessively describing female breasts.
Admittedly, I love playing a silly Boobs McKinzie character.... I love comic relief! But it's so creep-tastic when people get overly involved describing a girl's bust in a character sheet. I consider it an indicator that someone is trying to stir up some ERP shit behind the scenes.

"She breasted boobily down the stairs" is not as much of a hyperbole as we would like it to be.

Admittedly, I love playing a silly Boobs McKinzie character.... I love comic relief! But it's so creep-tastic when people get overly involved describing a girl's bust in a character sheet. I consider it an indicator that someone is trying to stir up some ERP shit behind the scenes.

"She breasted boobily down the stairs" is not as much of a hyperbole as we would like it to be.

Exactly. I mean I don't mind if you use it as a joke. Oops Booby dropped another bit of biscuit down her shirt and it got stuck in her massive knockers.

I mean that can be funny especially if you play it with the right amount of cheeky exasperation.

Or even Booby is a great big Tata who likes to breast boobily for all the massive Dongs that live on her street.

However if the description is more like

Booby Tata is a massive pair of breasts that boobily walk down the street while Sam and Bob try to go about their day to day lives. Sadly they are inevitably distracted by Booby Tata and often find themselves imagining taking her back to their rooms. They sometimes like to whistle appreciatively which makes Booby Tata transform magically into Glistening Perky Booby Tata. It is truly a magical phenomena.

Gosh I have so many things that If I see would tempt me to just dump an Rp and book it.
  • If I see an obnoxiously censored character sheet. Like, the backstory has {REDACTED} in big, bold, red writing just sprinkled throughout, cutting off sentences. Anyone who does this is an utter twat to be honest. Writing a mysterious character is fine. Being obnoxious about it is not.
  • Asian fetishism. Actually, no, correction, Japanese-Chinese-Korean fetishism. Guarantee you, 90% of Asian characters are one of these three. Why the fuck y'all wanna be Asian so bad when RP'ing and why it is those specific three? If I recall correctly, Asia is made up of more than three countries but apparently some peeps aren't aware of that. Do you like playing Asians because we're the 'model minority' or y'all just thirsty for some yellow in ya lives? It's just a tad creepy and skin crawl inducing to see.
  • Overly complicated coding for character sheets and the like. No Cindy, I'm not going to learn the mechanics and intricacies of BBCode so you can fulfil your "aesthetic" as you call it.
  • Derailing makes me wish God would just descend from the heavens and smack a bitch into limbo real quick. You don't just start a plot with no build up whilst in the middle of another plot. That is not how story telling works, especially when you're telling a story with other people. Get your shit together Gregory, we're trying to tell a coherent story.
  • Weird gay male caricature characters written by sexually repressed teenage girls. Yes, we appreciate the attempt at representation. No, we do not appreciate the fact that the only notable thing about the character representing us is gayness and other than that, they have the depth of a puddle. Yes, we can most certainly tell you're neither a guy nor actually homosexual the second we start reading your shit.
  • Characters written specifically as a platform for the person to really push their ideological beliefs into an Rp that has no political focus at all and treat the RP as a stage for what they want to happen in real life. Lorraine I get it, you took a Political Science course in Uni and it didn't work out because it's literally Political Science and now you want to find an outlet for all your Politics knowledge. This is, however, an RP site, not a Political Blog where you can incite revolution and the systematic execution of all bourgeoisie. I just wanna RP hun.

Gosh I have so many things that If I see would tempt me to just dump an Rp and book it.
  • Asian fetishism. Actually, no, correction, Japanese-Chinese-Korean fetishism. Guarantee you, 90% of Asian characters are one of these three. Why the fuck y'all wanna be Asian so bad when RP'ing and why it is those specific three? If I recall correctly, Asia is made up of more than three countries but apparently some peeps aren't aware of that. Do you like playing Asians because we're the 'model minority' or y'all just thirsty for some yellow in ya lives? It's just a tad creepy and skin crawl inducing to see.
  • Weird gay male caricature characters written by sexually repressed teenage girls. Yes, we appreciate the attempt at representation. No, we do not appreciate the fact that the only notable thing about the character representing us is gayness and other than that, they have the depth of a puddle. Yes, we can most certainly tell you're neither a guy nor actually homosexual the second we start reading your shit.

So point the first I think is because K-pop is apparently a thing all the youngsters are into now . Which I'm assuming from the acronym involves Korean people. So idk. I guess they like the (music? tv? idk whatever pop means ) and they want their characters to look like that.

Point the second I actually talked to someone who liked to roleplay gay men because they were a romance roleplayer. Apparently making female characters for male players to harass creeped them out. So they created male homosexual characters so they could still have their lovey dovey romance while getting some distance between themselves and their characters.

Which isn't really what your talking about obviously I just thought it was a interesting take on why straight women play gay men.

As for the whole fetishized "romance". Nah Becky. Just Nah. I am honestly not that interested in romance in general and a thousand percent not going to roleplay some weird YA token fetish version of romance with your suezilla.

Asian fetishism. Actually, no, correction, Japanese-Chinese-Korean fetishism. Guarantee you, 90% of Asian characters are one of these three. Why the fuck y'all wanna be Asian so bad when RP'ing and why it is those specific three? If I recall correctly, Asia is made up of more than three countries but apparently some peeps aren't aware of that. Do you like playing Asians because we're the 'model minority' or y'all just thirsty for some yellow in ya lives? It's just a tad creepy and skin crawl inducing to see.
is it fetish ifthe person is really asian?

is it fetish ifthe person is really asian?

I think it's the same with any kind of tokenism.

Is being an Asian the only reason they are sexually desirable to the (non)Asian romantic interest?

Is (adjective)Asian their entire character?

Ex. Cute Asian.

No personality. No agency. No real description even. Just - Cute Asian.

Like if your character can be described using exactly two words one of which is Asian than you've got a problem.

The thing that makes it a fetish isn't the ethnicity of the person on the other side of the screen.

It is the fact that your using someone's ethnicity as an excuse to get tingly in your no no region.

For instance if I where to make all my characters "hot latinas". Each and every one of them were Latina women who only existed to be dark skinned, big boobed, and exotic. So that the (white) male characters can get all tingly in their sausages about how "exotic" and "latin" my character looked.

The fact that I am myself a Latina does not negate the fact that I'm still essentially taking a lazy stereotype to make a gross generalization about women of my ethnicity.

I think it's the same with any kind of tokenism.

Is being an Asian the only reason they are sexually desirable to the (non)Asian romantic interest?

Is (adjective)Asian their entire character?

Ex. Cute Asian.

No personality. No agency. No real description even. Just - Cute Asian.

Like if your character can be described using exactly two words one of which is Asian than you've got a problem.

The thing that makes it a fetish isn't the ethnicity of the person on the other side of the screen.

It is the fact that your using someone's ethnicity as an excuse to get tingly in your no no region.

For instance if I where to make all my characters "hot latinas". Each and every one of them were Latina women who only existed to be dark skinned, big boobed, and exotic. So that the (white) male characters can get all tingly in their sausages about how "exotic" and "latin" my character looked.

The fact that I am myself a Latina does not negate the fact that I'm still essentially taking a lazy stereotype to make a gross generalization about women of my ethnicity.
so instead of fetish it became an issue of stereotyping of ethnic ideal image amd misconceptions.

nah, fetish is an obsessive need of a person for a certain object or ideal.

fair enough. doesn't change the point.

no writing fetish isn't okay just because you happen to be the thing being fetishized.

A. not everyone who writes that fetish is going to be the thing being fetishized. (.i.e Not everyone writing Asian fetishes is Asian. )
B. it's lazy writing to reduce your character to a simple object or ideal.
C. it leads to the blurring of boundaries of what is fictional and what is not. ( i mean that's not necessarily your fault but it will happen )

Last edited:
I'm usually an extremely lenient and tolerant RPer. I usually just struggle through a lot of things that have been posted in this thread.

However, three things will cause me to drop and actually leave a roleplay intentionally and usually full of malevolence.

1. Contradictions - More Specifically, ones that make it seem like your posts aren't being read.
  • When the GM accepts your character and then later, in the middle of the RP, decides they have a problem with something about your character, that has already been stated in the Character Sheet. Y'know, when you're able to say I put it in the Character Sheet in response to everything they say.
  • When you write something, and then something else happens that shouldn't have been able to happen (Ex. You write that all McDonalds are closed and destroyed, all the recipes and secrets long forgotten, yet someone else then writes that their character orders a Happy Meal) (That's when I order myself to go)
2. Because I said so - There have been times when a GM (sometimes another player) states that they do not like something that I've done (latest post, character sheet, etc). As I've stated before, I'm usually a lenient and tolerant person, due to being admittedly passive (I just suffer through the pain), and when it's something trivial, I usually say, "Oops" and change it. However, there are some things that I feel rather strongly about every once in a while, and when it becomes problematic, I ask for the reason, and give my own reasoning about why I'd prefer not to change it. Usually, I get a rather sensible reason, and I once again say, "Oops", and change it. However, every once in a while, I get a response that just utterly ticks me off, and I just leave. Some of my "trigger" responses include:
  • Because I said so - EXCUSE ME! I don't know what type of authority you think you have. But as a roleplayer, my right to leave is greater. Of course, GM's are in charge of their RP, but that doesn't mean we as the RPer have to bend to their every whim. I mean joining an RP is not life or death, people! except when it is XD When that happens, your not in charge of your creative freedom that comes with roleplaying, and I'd rather not.
  • It's not realistic - This depends entirely upon context. Usually, I'm fine with it, but when it does trigger me, it's because one of two things have happened.
    • Someone else's character is in a similar, or usually worse, position but it's completely fine. Exaggerated example: My character can't have an IQ of 999 at Age 16, but someone else's character can be strong enough to defeat anyone with a single blow at age 9 in a Realistic setting.
    • They're not old enough - When the reasoning is that a character isn't old enough to do something. This also depends on context. Age is just a period of time, and I, as a minor myself, believe that age ALONE is not a determining factor in anything a character is able to do. It's a belief that steams from personal experience, research, opinions, and other factors, so I'd rather not go into it here.
  • It's not realistic (OP) - Bish! I'm Fabulous! But on a serious note, also depends on context. Some things are sometimes obviously OP to where you actually feel embarrassed when it's pointed out. However, sometimes it's just a part of your character. Two things are assumed by many to be true are that Skill=OP & OP=Metagame. However both are inherently untrue, but when people go by this assumation (???), I usually feel extremely petty. Just because someone is skillful, doesn't mean they are OP. I mean the very definition of the phrase OP means they have to be overpowered, not powered. As Roleplayers attempt to limit metagaming and OPness, many forget that the world is full of people better than others (a bit cynical, I'm afraid), and as such only create/allow characters that are inherently the same. This leads to anyone even a bit unique better to be seen as OP when Roleplay shouldn't be about conformity and uniformity, but rather individualism that shows in real life. Many GM's are usually okay with this, and I've only run into one who couldn't understand my reasoning and insisted that my character was too "strong". If someone is that insistent, then it's clear that they actually doubt your skills as a Roleplayer and sense as a person not to metagame and Roleplay in a detrimental way.
3. Ignoring a player - Similarly to the first point but on a "larger" scale. Unlike the first one, this one not only hurts more but feels more intentional and personal. When you type multiple posts, and the theoretical consequences (what should happen in theory) doesn't occur (See the McDonald's Example) . When the GM asks for suggestions AFTER you've given them tons that they haven't commented on. Having to send a PM to your partner after a month of inactivity, asking if they're still interested because you've saw them online EVERYDAY that last month. When you're actively seeking interactions, but somehow you only have 9 posts in 65 pages of content I'm not speaking from experience or anything -_-

Also, these are actually things that combined with even one other pet peeve will cause me to drop an RP.
I only leave in the extreme cases where there were also other factors that ticked me off, but I placed on the backburner in favor of continuing the RP. As you'd imagine, they pile up.

People who roleplay as canon characters and I won't say it's all of them, but I just don't like it. It spells trouble for me because I feel like some of them, didn't have enough imagination to come up with their own character and now they're playing as this character because they already have a premade moveset and they can use their characters feats as an excuse to be instantly OP, like if someone chooses to play as Sephiroth or Ben 10.

Another one is when they try to take items that already exist in other series in an attempt to be OP like having all the Shen Gong Wu, the Infinity Stones or the Deathly Hallows or something.

Sheets that are as big as "War and Peace" and require me to fill in a bunch of useless things, or reveal one too many interesting things about my character straight from the get go. If I'm REALLY interested, only then will I pick up a big sheet. I remember one time I actually had to fill in the size of my character's feet, and they were essentially sentient slime. That was fun.

I'm not certain if someone might have mentioned this in some shape or form, but one of the quickest ways to make me flee a potential storyline are these "my way or the highway" people. Oh, I have an idea. Nope, I don't like that. Let's use my idea instead. Oh, I'd like this role for my character. No, that's my character's role your character can have this instead. I am tired of my ideas being put down in favour of my partners or God forbid they will throw a temper tantrum. That goes for roles or anything else for that matter; you can't have this, it's mine. It's been happening more lately, and it's nauseating.

That one player who miraculously knows your characters weaknesses despite there being absolutely no plausible reason they should know it, like you know they read your profile and then just tried to play it off that their character just knew how to handle this situation despite never being in this situation for that to be possible or when someone blatantly ignores part of your post because they couldn't counter it and they consistently do this throughout the entire RP.

Last edited:
When I can't understand a thing the person is trying to get across. I've had experiences with RP partners before I joined RPN who didn't understand English very well (I didn't know that right away) and I spent a week or so RPing with one of them before I just randomly dropped the RP and disappeared because I couldn't take it anymore.

The Canon RPers and I'm sorry if you RP canon characters and you aren't like this but it's just my personal experience with them. I don't like it because part of me gets upset because basically it's an excuse to be OP, they basically piggy back on this person's feats to bypass character growth to be OP, they don't put any work in, they don't use any creativity because it's already been done for them and usually these people have no interest in taking part in a story, they just want to fight people or walk around lording their power over everyone and it gets old very fast.

The Canon RPers and I'm sorry if you RP canon characters and you aren't like this but it's just my personal experience with them. I don't like it because part of me gets upset because basically it's an excuse to be OP, they basically piggy back on this person's feats to bypass character growth to be OP, they don't put any work in, they don't use any creativity because it's already been done for them and usually these people have no interest in taking part in a story, they just want to fight people or walk around lording their power over everyone and it gets old very fast.

I suppose it depends on the canon your playing and the story your telling. I mean most of my canon stories are about adoption and family relationships. So if there is OPness it's played as one-upmanship and sibling rivalry. Which is you know the fun way to make a super op character less obnoxious. By ironically making them super obnoxious in character.

But yeah I do know what you mean. I hate it when someone makes a character that is like the Most Speshul Person Eva and solves all the problems in the roleplay by their Most Speshul Awesome Edgy Powers of Greatness.

Like dude. the plot is the reason we're doing the roleplay. If the plot is done so is the roleplay.

Honestly I just leave.

Like oh great you solved the plot the roleplay is done. Congrats. Bye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back