Experiences Things that instantly make you drop an RP

Oh man! I had a RP on here a couple of days ago that I dropped.
It was ridiculous god modding.

My character was sitting at the bar feeling sorry for himself.
Her very next post was her character grinding up on the dance floor with my male character.

I was just like... WTH?! How did he manage to get over to the dance floor?! And why on earth would he be dancing with your character out of nowhere?!

It was really cringe worthy.

Don't try to force sexy scenes on my poor unwilling characters!

When the partner's character doesn't add anything to the story. AT ALL. Especially if my character has to keep finding/loving/apologize/etc.
salty_ moustachio salty_ moustachio YES TO THE GODMODDING. Especially erotic godmodding. No. NO.

Godmodding is awful.

I had this one roleplay with a kinda interesting premise (tldr to battle the characters phobias they get sent into some sort of dream world to interact with them. Shit goes down at one point and the phobias actually try to kill them). And my character, I think in the first three posts, had problems with something. I dunno what, I think he was locked in his room and wanted to go out because his "out-time" is soon.
Her character? Apparently is allowed to walk freely, even though we have both agreed that our characters are patients, not staff. What does she do? Go to my characters cell and busts it open. No. Thanks. My characters struggle was only because he's extremely impatient. No reason to godmod and bust the door open. Needless to say I dropped the roleplay.

I'm extremely picky so when i find a partner who matches with me i tend to like things to flow smoothly,to follow the plot we discussed so if for example we agree on a cheesy romance that's what i expect i don't want some random zombie to pop up and completely change the Roleplay into some Resident Evil zombie apocalypse type survibal RP. That will cause me to go "nope,I'm out".

I'm extremely picky so when i find a partner who matches with me i tend to like things to flow smoothly,to follow the plot we discussed so if for example we agree on a cheesy romance that's what i expect i don't want some random zombie to pop up and completely change the Roleplay into some Resident Evil zombie apocalypse type survibal RP. That will cause me to go "nope,I'm out".
Yes! Or unfitting characters in general. If we are roleplaying an anime (unless maybe it's a horror or an AU of some sort), I don't wanna see creepypasta or zombies.

You can usually easily tell if somebody has a half baked plan, small uncaring Interest check, no preparation, it really doesn't make somebody confident the one makeing the thing will stick around or remember that they got this going on.

God knows flakes like to flock to these things as well.

Not being picky on who gets in is another turn of, as it were, if one simply accepts anybody who shows up to the door you'd get a lot of trouble you aren't ready for. Part of the rp is the actual people playing the character, if they can't put some effort into passing a small test they are not going to bother with your long term plans.

Romance is cute, heart warming and takes time like bakeing a cake. Force it and your just eatting flour.

Keep the group for the rp smaller but tight knit, people who will leave will leave, but do not suffer stragglers, giving leeway is fine but waiting a month for a post of another character reacting, and doing nothing, is one sour taste you'll never forget.

To many people, it can be a problem, but being invited to fill a role and having the main group spurn you is a pain none should have to feel. If you are coming in, do you best to fit in, if you are the group, help them and reach out.

Thats all my griping done for this month.

Transphobia. I can get why it may not be fitting for One on Ones. But basic school roleplays? Where the story doesn't focus on Romance?
I've had one of my characters declined by a GM because they thought trans people were weird. So I changed the character to make it less scary for the poor cis-people.
Plot Twist: My character was still Trans. I just hid it really well, and I PM'd everyone my character was affiliated with to tell them.

Transphobia. I can get why it may not be fitting for One on Ones. But basic school roleplays? Where the story doesn't focus on Romance?
I've had one of my characters declined by a GM because they thought trans people were weird. So I changed the character to make it less scary for the poor cis-people.
Plot Twist: My character was still Trans. I just hid it really well, and I PM'd everyone my character was affiliated with to tell them.
As a transguy, I completely agree that transphobia is a turn off for roleplay

I think a lot of people here have already touched on a lot of immediate turn-offs for me, but I did come up with a few more I'd like to contribute to the discussion. One big one would be when someone approaches me who appears to have read through my ad, but with a bunch of ideas that are in no way even remotely related to any of the genres or themes I listed. Or when they send me a message titled something along the lines of "rp", and the only thing it contains is "I would like to rp" or "any ideas". I really have no idea what to do with that. Like the very least you can do is introduce yourself!

I think a lot of people here have already touched on a lot of immediate turn-offs for me, but I did come up with a few more I'd like to contribute to the discussion. One big one would be when someone approaches me who appears to have read through my ad, but with a bunch of ideas that are in no way even remotely related to any of the genres or themes I listed. Or when they send me a message titled something along the lines of "rp", and the only thing it contains is "I would like to rp" or "any ideas". I really have no idea what to do with that. Like the very least you can do is introduce yourself!
I know! I find it really annoying.

I really feel uncomfortable when my partner puts their character in a shit ton of suffering. Like, I don't mind that if the situation is right but too much of it, it makes me weirded out.
Example, their character got beaten up earlier in the morning and during the afternoon, they run into the same guys who beat them up and beat that character up again.
Dramatic shit is nice but too much of it makes me want to gag. Also angst. I am an angst enthusiast myself but when someone overdoes the angst, idk how to explain it but I just know, I immediately want to say "I'm done."
Honestly, I relate to this so much. Like I like drama, but I need a balance. Also, by drama I mean tasteful drama (if that makes sense). Not lazily thought up drama. And omg the angst :-_-lines: The thing is, I'm too awkward to tell someone when I don't like an rp so I'll just kinda continue it and it sucks

Another thing I really don't like are one liners. Like I would've written this (maybe not great but longish mediocre) paragraph that I still put effort into, and they reply with one line. It's a) disheartening and b) off putting

Discord. I use Discord to chat with my friends for gaming, but that’s all. That’s what it’s desined to do, not host RPs. Bear in mind I prefer group, so keeping track of characters, OOC, and the IC is not something I want to do there. Besides, we have a perfectly good RP site right here! I know I probably sound weird, but it just feels slimy to me to recruit for your RP here and then take it elsewhere.

When people talk about "crushes" to indicate who they want you to play in a roleplay.

Ex. I'd like you to play my crush and maybe I'll play yours.

To me that just screams a disaster waiting to happen. If you are emotionally invested enough in a playable character to call it your crush than you are going to be far too nitpicky and demanding about how I play this character for me to bother.

Also when people treat roleplay as dating. Like literally - I would like to date xx people and roleplay with them. *full body shutter*

One thing that bothers me a lot is when people go way too fast. Like one time I was in an RP which was like this mutant school thingamajig and all of a sudden there was this dude who made a character with a baby sister, and he like carried her around everywhere because he was babysitting or some shiz. I was cool with that but then we got attacked and he and this other person went on this huge tangent about the baby sister getting injured and going to a hospital and like amuptating her leg(and they RPed the WHOLE process of going to the hospital and coming back). It took them less than an hour to make like forty somethin posts and I was like "Bruh slow dooooooooooooown I feel like my brain is in a blender rn"

So in short, either when things go too fast or when people go off on random tangents. Or in this case, both lol

Discord. I use Discord to chat with my friends for gaming, but that’s all. That’s what it’s desined to do, not host RPs. Bear in mind I prefer group, so keeping track of characters, OOC, and the IC is not something I want to do there. Besides, we have a perfectly good RP site right here! I know I probably sound weird, but it just feels slimy to me to recruit for your RP here and then take it elsewhere.

i mostly agree. i like discord for talking to my gaming friends, however, i can understand wanting to use it as an OOC chat instead for a role play. it's a lot friendlier than this site is (honestly, pms can get messy quickly if you have more than one person in a message) and the thread system is iffy at best at notifying you, even if someone tags you.

so i like it for ooc chat and nothing else. role playing through discord would be... awful, to say the least.

Discord has a few benefits though. If you're organized, you can just make multiple sub-channels, one for character sheets, another for rules, another for OOC -- just like it is on forums, but they're all in the same channel instead of spread around with at best an URL in the first page with all links.

The bigger benefit might be the bots, though. There are some bots made specifically with RP functions. They help organizing things and depending on how they're set up, you can check information just by calling them, for example checking how much damage a character can deal to an enemy without having to do the calculations every time, or rolling dice and showing the results to all players, simply by telling the bot what to do when a command is used. Granted, RPs with zero mechanics (stats, social links, money, etc) may consider them irrelevant, but they can at the very least be used to filter and organize information, if only for comparison between characters (sorting characters by name, weight, height, etc. for example). If you have heavier mechanics, such as a trial-like system or a board/dungeon map for example, you can set that up so that the bots handle the different phases and allow only the right people to act/post, instead of enforcing that rule yourself and relying on other players to respect and keep track of it.

EDIT : I forgot to mention another possibility, which is restricting view. You can make it so a player (and by extension, character) can't see what happens in certain areas, and you can change that as the RP progresses (character moves to another room for example) to add realism to it, this is especially interesting for RPs involving investigations or combat on multiple fronts.

Last edited:
Omfg yes. I'm Trans* and I often have Trans* characters and I've run into this so much.

Discord has a few benefits though. If you're organized, you can just make multiple sub-channels, one for character sheets, another for rules, another for OOC -- just like it is on forums, but they're all in the same channel instead of spread around with at best an URL in the first page with all links.

The bigger benefit might be the bots, though. There are some bots made specifically with RP functions. They help organizing things and depending on how they're set up, you can check information just by calling them, for example checking how much damage a character can deal to an enemy without having to do the calculations every time, or rolling dice and showing the results to all players, simply by telling the bot what to do when a command is used. Granted, RPs with zero mechanics (stats, social links, money, etc) may consider them irrelevant, but they can at the very least be used to filter and organize information, if only for comparison between characters (sorting characters by name, weight, height, etc. for example). If you have heavier mechanics, such as a trial-like system or a board/dungeon map for example, you can set that up so that the bots handle the different phases and allow only the right people to act/post, instead of enforcing that rule yourself and relying on other players to respect and keep track of it.

EDIT : I forgot to mention another possibility, which is restricting view. You can make it so a player (and by extension, character) can't see what happens in certain areas, and you can change that as the RP progresses (character moves to another room for example) to add realism to it, this is especially interesting for RPs involving investigations or combat on multiple fronts.
I view RPs more as cooperative writing as opposed to D&D, so you were correct in your statement about them being irrelevant in some cases. I also use them to help relax, so I rarely deal with heavier mechanics. Furthermore, I really see no problem with the way RPN has things set up. Sure, it may be confusing at first glance, but after doing it once or twice it's really as simple as copy and paste. I do understand that I'm biased, having stuck with them through many different changes. Point is, I dislike it (hate's a strong word, but depending on how intriguing the interest check is I may find it appropriate). We have a perfectly good RP site here with easy categories, ease of set up, and a thriving community often more than willing to help you out if you're confused (that being a general you, not specifically you Shuusuke Shuusuke ). Regardless, this thread asked me to share what makes me intently drop and RP and I answered. I have defended my reasoning twice and doubt I will be compelled to do so a third time.

I view RPs more as cooperative writing as opposed to D&D, so you were correct in your statement about them being irrelevant in some cases. I also use them to help relax, so I rarely deal with heavier mechanics. Furthermore, I really see no problem with the way RPN has things set up. Sure, it may be confusing at first glance, but after doing it once or twice it's really as simple as copy and paste. I do understand that I'm biased, having stuck with them through many different changes. Point is, I dislike it (hate's a strong word, but depending on how intriguing the interest check is I may find it appropriate). We have a perfectly good RP site here with easy categories, ease of set up, and a thriving community often more than willing to help you out if you're confused (that being a general you, not specifically you Shuusuke Shuusuke ). Regardless, this thread asked me to share what makes me intently drop and RP and I answered. I have defended my reasoning twice and doubt I will be compelled to do so a third time.

Yeah, it wasn't my intention to debate with you, but I just wanted to point out that Discord has some interesting features for RP'ing, and even if you don't have mechanics in the RP, it can still come in handy for organization purposes, but then it becomes subjective. In case other people were undecided or unaware, seeing Discord as something that makes someone instantly drop an RP could be discouraging for them if they didn't hear the good parts about it.

The important thing is that they're not mutually exclusive, you can use both at the same time if you want to. A few RPs seem to do that in different ways (IC is there, while OC is here, or vice-versa, and more). I get what you mean about the "slimy" comment though, it is re-directing people to a different platform in a way, after all.

Honestly there aren't a TON of things that instantly make me drop RPs. I usually have to let them pile up a little before I think second chances are up. However, not being many does not mean there being none:

1. If my RP style and/or character goals are plain not allowed
This happens more often than I would like, but as a first person detailed roleplayer, and one that likes planning at that, plus having a preference for anime FCs (though I am far more flexible on the latter two elements), among other aspects of my style of RPing which is something I have a great deal of trouble enjoying myself without. So if they are for some reason banned, then I can't participate in the RP. Likewise, if I joined the roleplay, say, because I wanted to play a certain kind of character and it turns out that won't be allowed, well, then I have no reason to stay.

2.If the RP turns out not to be what I thought it was
Because I misunderstood the plot, or because some key detail about what I accepted was changed at the last second, the posts turned out to be terrible or another reason of this type, I need to reavaluate whether I would like to join knowing what I do at that time. And if the answer is "no" then I won't stay.

3.If I believe my presence will be detrimental to the RP or is causing awkwardness
Unfortunately I am a harshly critical and very opinionated person. Because of my own beliefs and ideals, I won't easily refrain from at least expressing discontent in a noticeable manner, though unless the case is severe I've learned to hold back from calling attention to it unless asked. Sometimes I have an outburst or express an opinion that is controversial. Sometimes the character I want to make others are uncomfortable with, or I feel like I'm gonna be fighting with someone OOC , all things that could really tense up the atmosphere in an RP. In those, I usually quit almost immediately to avoid causing trouble for my fellow RPers.
This also happens if I believe there is a high possibility someone in the RP is hyper-sensitive. SInce I don't want to hurt them but I sometimes may not be able to help myself, it may be a more appropriate solution to avoid them in that instance.

4.The GM is untrustworthy
I think I'm gonna sound extremely arrogant when I say this, but I've developed a certain knack for grasping a good deal about people from how they type. From their wording choice, to the things they give priority to, vocabulary, etc... I won't pretend like I understand even the tip of the iceberg about the person, but I will state that I do understand enough to often predict what kind of derailing a GM is gonna cause. For instance in 90% of the cases a GM spends half the plot /premise of the RP talking about a given figure , their character will usually be at least related to that figure, or will be someone of extreme plot weight (as an individual, not as part of the group of characters).
This wouldn't be a reason to quit, except for how many (speaking of those times in which dived in anyway) of those guesses turned out to be right, or better put, how many GMs turn out to be unreliable. Now, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I'm the perfect GM either, my history with dozens of dead RPs that I've GM proves as much, but I'm not talking about someone who is inexperienced and thus can't GM properly, I'm talking about GMs who either want to abuse their rights as GM or GMs that don't seem to care enough about their own RP to do what they are bloody supposed to do. GMs that go missing for weeks or months and one day show up again and act as if it isn't normal activity died out, GMs that refuse to add any dort of plot or forethought, GMs that make up the rules as they go instead of previously so players know what they are agreeing to, allowing pretty much every character in without thought, etc... By far, those that hurt the most to me though, are the ones with "unwritten rules" about the character creation or who base the evaluation of what characters come in or not entirely on personal taste. Tyranny of the GM. In cases like that, I simply quit.

5.Plans Unkept
I loooove planning. But sometimes, even people who are excited in planning with me suddenly decide to change it at the last second or worse, they just change it right away on their post without even asking. That to me is a huge betrayal.

6.Interest Check is Barren
Barebones interest checks tend to equate barebones roleplayers. Refer to point 1 above.

7.The language is suggestive of mentalities I don't want to get involved with
Words like "seme", "uke", "submissive" and "dominant" are common words to describe characters within certain communities, however the implications of those words as somehow character-defining is worrying to me, so I stay away from those.

8.I don't want to support something the person is using as a central aspect of the RP
This is the reason why I used to often avoid 1x1 partners that had an "at least 18" requirement, and I still do those that require writing samples. I won't hassle the person or anything, but a really good hook is necessary to get me to bite something I'm fundamentally opposed to.

9.Having to rework a character too many times
This doesn't happen often, but when it does, I hate it so much. This is basically when a GM is being stubborn and nitpicky about things that make no sense, often to their own detriment even. But I still comply for a while, probably try to negotiate a couple of things or explain a couple things. I especially hate it when the GM is nitpicky using things that don't apply, such physics or worse, quantum physics that are abrely provable in our world, to judge a superpower or freagin MAGIC.

Those are the main reasons. There have been instances of other reasons coming into play. For example, there was this one instance of a roleplay which had reserved roles, by system. So I was assured to have a certain position (this was a seven deadly sins RP, the anime, and I had taken the role of greed). So I spent several hours working on that CS, posted the WIP and then went to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, someone with a half-baked 5 minute CS had shown up out of nowhere, joined a closed RP, made the character in MY role, and gotten approved by the GM. Needless to say, I apologized to be polite, then left. However, instances like that aren't usual circumstances, so I don't intended to list them in detail.

Looking back, my overall reasons to quit would be
1. Not being able to roleplay the way I like to roleplay
2. When I feel betrayed by my expectations to the roleplay on an unredeemable level
3. If something I did might result in a terrible experience for others unless I quit
4. I oppose some form of what I believe to the other roleplayer's/the GM's approach in a matter directy linked IC or OOC to how the RP is structured.

I hope this is helpful to some! Happy Rping!

Last edited:
Idea Idea For the 18 + comment do you mean as it pertains to the actual roleplay content? Ex I like to roleplay adult content so I would like it if my partner is X age or over.
As otherwise I'm not sure what there is to be fundamentally opposed over with age limits. That's like saying I'm fundamentally opposed to people who only accept real people face claims. You can not like that particular preference but I don't think it's really all that offensive to ask for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back