Experiences Things that instantly make you drop an RP

Do any of you guys think of someone to tag here to give them a little hint? I'm tempted but I decide against it because that would be too mean.

In addition to what Fuyri said it’s also not an effective way to get your point across.

You tag me in a post I’m going to assume it’s based on something I’ve said in thread or you just want me to read the thread.

Now the problem is unless you say

I hate it when geeking out does Xx

I’m not going to really take you leading me here as a hint to improve anything.

I’m just gonna be confused or assume your trying to share a fun thread about venting with me.

If you want something changed don’t go the passive route. Your much better off just saying things outright so there is no misunderstanding and you know your views are heard.

The other way is both rude and ineffective. Just passively going hint hint isn’t going to necessarily get your point across. Especially if your partner is the more literal type.

In addition to what Fuyri said it’s also not an effective way to get your point across.

You tag me in a post I’m going to assume it’s based on something I’ve said in thread or you just want me to read the thread.

Now the problem is unless you say

I hate it when geeking out does Xx

I’m not going to really take you leading me here as a hint to improve anything.

I’m just gonna be confused or assume your trying to share a fun thread about venting with me.

If you want something changed don’t go the passive route. Your much better off just saying things outright so there is no misunderstanding and you know your views are heard.

The other way is both rude and ineffective. Just passively going hint hint isn’t going to necessarily get your point across. Especially if your partner is the more literal type.

It would be highly discouraged. If you have an issued with someone, just PM them and discuss it maturely.
Yeah, you're both right. I'm unsure how to tell them because they're the type of person where if you give constructive criticism in even the nicest way, they take it completely wrong and get offended.

Yeah, you're both right. I'm unsure how to tell them because they're the type of person where if you give constructive criticism in even the nicest way, they take it completely wrong and get offended.

In my experience stick to I/ME statements.

Example. I am having a difficult time understanding your posts. I'm so sorry to bother you but could you maybe elaborate on X thing in the post?

Example 2. I don't think we will be a very good fit. I find X thing in the roleplay really uncomfortable and I don't want to ruin your fun by not being able to take part properly.

Basically whatever the issue is frame it in such a way that YOU are the one who is for lack of a better word "at fault.".

This is less likely to put the other person on the defensive. And if they do get offended you have the out to say. Yeah I know this is just a silly thing that bothers me so I'll leave and you can find a better partner for you.

Also sort of related people who get super nasty when things don't go their way. Like they play that passive aggressive b.s. like "Oh I didn't know we were doing things this way I always did them that way." But in that snotty tone that lets you know what they really mean is "I want to do things my way not your way and I frankly hate your way."

Or when people react to any criticism or feedback from you like you went out and shot their dog or something.

Like yeah I just cannot deal with those kind of people long term. I am too direct for that. Plus I have a tendency to micromanage which REALLY doesn't work with that kind of personality. ( I mean micromanaging is also not great but I do try to pull that back where I can. Barring that I'll tell my partners hey if I'm getting obnoxious about this in particular let me know )

Also sort of related people who get super nasty when things don't go their way. Like they play that passive aggressive b.s. like "Oh I didn't know we were doing things this way I always did them that way." But in that snotty tone that lets you know what they really mean is "I want to do things my way not your way and I frankly hate your way."

Or when people react to any criticism or feedback from you like you went out and shot their dog or something.

Like yeah I just cannot deal with those kind of people long term. I am too direct for that. Plus I have a tendency to micromanage which REALLY doesn't work with that kind of personality. ( I mean micromanaging is also not great but I do try to pull that back where I can. Barring that I'll tell my partners hey if I'm getting obnoxious about this in particular let me know )
Yes! Especially if they call you out for something inconsistent with the setting of the RP (ex. You had a character pull out a thing that wasn't invented in that time yet). I'm fine if someone tells me that, and I'll gladly fix my mistake. But when they start to do the same thing over and over again AND try to excuse it somehow because their character can magically do whatever they want I'm about ready to lose it. I care about a RP and want for things to make sense, please work with me.

Yes! Especially if they call you out for something inconsistent with the setting of the RP (ex. You had a character pull out a thing that wasn't invented in that time yet). I'm fine if someone tells me that, and I'll gladly fix my mistake. But when they start to do the same thing over and over again AND try to excuse it somehow because their character can magically do whatever they want I'm about ready to lose it. I care about a RP and want for things to make sense, please work with me.

Yeah I mean sometimes I make an honest mistake. it's cool. I misremember something or I don't do the right research or I just misunderstood something I looked up. It's not the end of the world.

But as they say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you get to call me out when I flub up I get to do the same for you. And if you don't like it than you can just not call me out or leave.

:lenny: yeah honestly I wouldn't like my name blasted up here but I get your point it really does suck when you're put in the position and get bad/can't communicate well

Edgy. Freaking. Characters.

I strongly dislike characters whose only personality trait is their tragic backstory. I’m okay with a character having some past trauma, but if that’s the only thing there is to them I’ll lose interest quickly.

Edgy. Freaking. Characters.

I strongly dislike characters whose only personality trait is their tragic backstory. I’m okay with a character having some past trauma, but if that’s the only thing there is to them I’ll lose interest quickly.
This. I will admit, I have quite the edgelord appreciation myself, but there needs to be some substance too.

Another thing I hate is the token gay side character. As a raging homosexual myself it makes me kinda upset when someone introduces Fabio the Gay Best Friend who lives and breathes Regina George idol worship, fashion, cute guys, and scarves. A lot of my fellow gay people are actually normal-ish guys who just happen to like guys and celebrate Christmas on Whitney Houston’s birthday. We’re not the gay character you saw in b-list romantic comedies back in the early 2000s.

When the power scale is thrown out of the window.

I'm fine with super rich characters that have access to nuclear weaponry. I'm fine with a Superman rehash that can destroy building with a punch. What I can't stand is when the players one up that scale IC.

CS says cyromancy is limited only to his surrounding and tires him quickly.

Bam. Freeze the whole city feeling 'a bit tired'.

Or when a roleplayer says his character is incredibly strong but can't control his power properly yet then demonstrate great control over said power while keeping the power powerful.

Amen. Damafaud Damafaud

Now this doesn’t happen very often but every so often someone tries to force me to play a furry even though I tell them that I’m not comfortable with playing or RPing with furry characters. It gets kinda annoying fast.

When people consistently force your character into situations you don't want them to be in, and despite escaping the situations they continue to put them in similar ones? that was a bit convoluted but can anyone else relate?

"hey hi i don't like their personality so could you like... change it?"

one of the more annoying things to come across in a role play or a dnd campaign.

The characters are undeveloped or the characters do not do things "realistically." For example, a group is in the woods with no way out, but somehow a character has reception and calls for their personal helicopter to come save them.

When my character is the only one pushing on the dialogue or the scene in general. Also blatant ignoring of very important details! (ex: my character's facial expression in response to something, they're holding something out towards the other character, etc. etc.). It just makes things so difficult for me tbh.

What makes me drop a rp instantly is when someone forces me to do something that I don't want to do. Like, trying to kill someone for example and I said not too but they're doing whatever they can to convince me. Trust me, I've experienced this atleast 2-3 times throughout my rp experiences, and I just really rped with such edgy people... yikes.

When the group is not given a good starting point. The GM doesn't tell us who knows what so far or where we are, and everyone assumes differently, and so when they set us to just go mingle for the first few pages, you get a lot of confusion.
For example, there's a mecha rp and person A assumes that they've already got their mechs and have been on missions, person B assumes the former but not the latter, person C assumes they haven't done either. For a more specific example, I was in a Persona 3 rp with every tarot being a pc, and some thought they were already part of SEES, some had experienced the midnight hour or manifested a persona, and some knew jack shit. It fell apart quickly, because everyone was on different pages with the plot.
This seems sadly really common in fandom rp, because people think they can say 'it's an x rp' and just rp that without having a plot :V

I've dropped plenty of rps with people who've made their muse act sexual towards mine, without so much as asking if I was okay with it first. Sure, I'm a few years past 18, so it isn't illegal, but it's kind of sleazy to just assume just because I technically can do those kind of rps means I always want to. Even worse when it's a sudden thing, like the muse just did something sexual to mine out of nowhere. I won't give an example, since I know it'd be inappropriate to, but I'll just say...some people can be really weird. ._.

I've dropped plenty of rps with people who've made their muse act sexual towards mine, without so much as asking if I was okay with it first. Sure, I'm a few years past 18, so it isn't illegal, but it's kind of sleazy to just assume just because I technically can do those kind of rps means I always want to. Even worse when it's a sudden thing, like the muse just did something sexual to mine out of nowhere. I won't give an example, since I know it'd be inappropriate to, but I'll just say...some people can be really weird. ._.

Well it's not really a legal thing. I'm thirty and I refuse to do explicit content. It's just a personal preference of mine. I specifically tell my partners that as well. If they do something explicit anyway I will report them. As on this site it's against the rules. On other sites I immediately block them.

And yeah it's always weird when people just randomly start bringing up their kink. I had one guy ask me to make a character who liked being petted like a dog and licking his character. I mean not super explicit I guess but made my skin crawl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back