• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom The Year After: Hogwarts Roleplay

Kellan peered at the patronus in admiration, kneeling down to inspect the magnificent creature up close. "I can't decide if it's more cute or terrifying," he says with a lopsided smile, watching it hover in front of them until Altsonis ends the spell. He gives the other boy an appraising look, nodding thoughtfully when he finishes speaking. "No, I - I think that's a good way to look at it. A lot of people lost their lives, I'm glad they weren't in vain." He found that he genuinely meant that. His place in the war had been minimal, but he had respect for those who sacrificed so much for the greater good of humanity. Kellan gets back to his feet, grasping Altsonis's shoulder and squeezing it reassuringly. "Well anyway, send me an owl when you're ready to tackle our assignment, yeah? I think I'm going to get some fresh air. Maybe if I'm lucky a hippogriff will eat my homework," he adds optimistically, waggling his eyebrows in jest before ambling down the hall with a wave of his hand. "See you!"

calvinuu123 calvinuu123

Altsonis
Altsonis smiles at him, waving and walking away also. He had charms next and was keen to see how it would turn out. He heard they were doing something interesting. Alts exhaled feeling relived. Alts was always nervous making new friends. But, he had. The project would be difficult, but, with Kellan he was sure it could be done.

Austin
Austin made his way to charms, weaving through groups of students. It felt like the year had already half-passed due to that DATDA class. He stayed silent mostly because getting into trouble was not what he wanted to kick off the year. It felt like a long while before he had stepped out of that class. But now, he was going to his favorite class, and the one he was best at. Charms. He saw Altsonis and waved

"What are we doing in Charms?" Asked Austin
"Something fun." Replied Alts.
Austin smiled, then nodded and struck off to class, almost falling over in his rush.

Knarf Knarf

Walking back inside with Winter, Holly helped herself to some Chocolate Frogs. Tearing a leg off of the frog, she winced and threw it to Winter and watched the cat happily eat it. She ate the rest of the frog and watched the image of Albus Dumbledore disappear right before her eyes. She smiled to herself, wondering how many times she'd already watched the image disappear in her life.

Last edited:
Time Hop: Dinner

The first day of classes managed to stagger by. Not perfectly or without outbursts or tension or minimal crying in bathroom stalls. Not to mention the loads of homework given due to attitudes and lack of attention. This year was most definitely not like any year Hogwarts had seen yet and it had only been the first day. But spirits began to rise again when the last class finished and everyone was given sometime to walk at a leisurely pace and make their way to the Great Hall for dinner. It was rumored that there was supposed to be some sort of big announcement at the meal and whispers and wild guesses were filling the halls and the students minds. The mood had gone from dreary and dismal to excited and curious. The delicious scent of warm and tasty food was wafting through the corridors as students bustled about, running back to their dormitories or the library before dinner.

Minnie De'Maria

The first day of classes hadn't been as bad for Minnie as it had been for some. She had had her moments where wasn't able to focus, passing by certain corridors or classrooms where she had fought during the battle or seen a friend die. And, after Charms, she had spent some time in the girls lavatory, crying and a little disconnected from reality. But she had managed to become grounded again and made it through the rest of classes pretty alert and on her a-game. With classes over and a load of homework that she was eager to get started on, she had made a quick trip to the Ravenclaw dormitory, which was in the highest of the astronomy towers, to drop of her bag that was now heavier with her homework, before heading down to dinner. Now, she was entering the Great Hall, looking a little brighter than she had this morning, though the circles under her eyes were a tad bit darker. She made her way to the Ravenclaw table that was already starting to fill up with students excited to hear what the announcement would be.

Chandler Beaumont

Needless to say, Chandler's day hadn't gotten any better from being late to Defense Against the Dark Arts. He seemed to do something wrong in every class and earn himself extra homework in the process in almost each one. Being Quidditch captain for Gryffindor and trying to find enough recruits for the team, plus all the homework he was given was enough to keep him busy for days. He was half tempted to skip dinner and get straight to work. But, even in his mess, he had managed to hear the peculiar rumors and decided he couldn't miss whatever was about to happen at dinner. And, so, he went straight from his last class to the Great Hall, weaving in and out of younger years on his way to the Gryffindor table, where he sat down and tried to make himself look less grumpy.

Lucrezia recovered from her anxiety attack and returned to her classes but remained a little shaken all day. She did not get away with breaking the table or being late to classes having to have a meeting with Flintwick during lunch. He was sympathetic letting her of with a warning as it where but suggested to see Pomfrey or any one of the teachers if such attacks continued. She continued with her classes afterwards trying to distract herself with her work and it seemed like some sort if normality returned. Potions went well being one of the few to complete the assignment and therefore lessen the pile of homework given.

Dinner came and the same uplifted feeling seemed to return to the castle by that point. Nowhere near normal but still it was encouraging. She entered the great hall half expected the whole school to turn and look at her weirdly or her gossip about her outburst but thing were relatively normal. She made her way to the Ravenclaw table and took seat by Minnie absentmindedly. She started at the days banquet and realised how hungry she was, picking out a whole roast chicken and a goodly amount if roast potatoes. She was a big growing girl after all. She noted Minnie before she took her first bite. "You alright, sweetie? Your eyes look a little puffy." She asked with concern nothing the sign of crying.
sarahmickey98 sarahmickey98

Barry Elliot Noble
teen-wolf-crew-member-hints-dylan-obrien-wont-return-for-season-6.jpg

Barry gripped his head in his hands, his thoughts racing. Idiot! Now you just cost your house lord knows how many points! Not to mention you probably just made Milicks hate you for the rest of the year! God what should I do?? Go back and apologize? Stand by what I said? God why are you so STUPID?? He squeezed his eyes shut, pushing his hands against his head in a vain attempt to shut the voices from his mind. "That was very heroic, you know." The voice cut clearly though the clamor in his head, quieting them in favor of the sounds of reality, the sounds of students empting out of the classroom, their laughter and casual conversation seeming alien to his ears.

Sensing someone in front of him Barry would open his eyes, looking up at the person in front of him. Ada? What is she... Who knows with her... At least shee cared enough to say something. Everyone probably hates you because Milicks probably gave them even more homework for opening your big stupid mouth. Running a hand through his hair he would lean back trying to act not like someone having a mental breakdown. "Oh, um, thanks? It wasn't very smart though... Some Ravenclaw I am huh? Did Milicks deduct points from Ravenclaw? I hope he didn't we just started the year and it would not be good to start on a negative note. I just hate it when people bully others... I shouldn't have said anything..." Starting to ramble his endless thoughts he would gulp, rubbing his finger tips together, an obvious nervous tick.

Mentions/Location/Interactions Mentions: jespereilvapleuvoir jespereilvapleuvoir (Ada) calvinuu123 calvinuu123 (Professor Milicks)
Interactions: jespereilvapleuvoir jespereilvapleuvoir (Ada)

Austin
Austin slowly took bites of his corn, looking around the Slytherin table, silent. He was angry at Millicks despite the points Slytherin had received. And Barry really did seem angry at Altsonis, one of Austins acquaintances. Austin took another small bite and glanced towards Barry, then Kellan, then Alts. It was strange being back, but fun.

Altsonis
Alts saw Austin look at him, but Alts looked away. He felt bad for losing points still, and Barry was no help to that. Alts gulped down his soup, finished up his bread basket, and sat there. He was excited for the next day, and for class. The second, fresh day of school.

Ada Stowe

-Just After Defense Against the Dark Arts-

And, quite suddenly, her strength sped from her, seeping elsewhere, as if pursued by a pernicious adversary. Ada sank, leaden against the still, sturdy, stone wall and considered the figure crouched beside her. He appeared to be malfunctioning. Anxiety oozed, black and brackish from Barry, slipping syrupy from the crinkled corners of his eyes, dribbling in ever thickening strands from the crease of his downturned lips and the furrow of his brow, trickling, viscid, from all his edges and seams. It puddled, glutinous, arounds his shoes, now stained sable, besieged by dreadful, deleterious disquiet. It condensed in the cracks between the bricks and stone behind him, the bricks and stone that bound him. The air was so thick with it, turbid with tension, clouded and hazy and strange like all the world. Ada could hardly see past the haze of apprehension, could hardly breath, for the inky inquietude congealing in her windpipe, she gasped for air but-

Ada blinked. Beside her sat an entirely ordinary boy in need of assistance, he spoke in wavering tones, encompassed by something definitively dark and indubitably individual. He needed her help. She placed a tentative hand on his shoulder, and gazed, eyes clear and sharp, focused for the first time that day, at the wall opposite them, “No, Ravenclaw didn’t lose any points, actually. And you aren’t stupid, not even a bit.” She removed her hand from his shoulder and inched away so she might face him, “It takes intelligence to question authority, cunning to see past that which we are told. You possess both in excess.” Ada’s voice sounded strange, foreign even to her ears. It was sharp and lucid as it issued from her lips. Her eyes slid back to the wall, “You’d do well to remember as much. And you ought be able to, as a Ravenclaw.

FrazzledFox FrazzledFox

The rest of the afternoon passed in a blur; Kellan had spent two hours after Defense Against the Dark Arts wandering the school grounds until his Divination class started. He made sure to avoid Hagrid and by extension, Fang, who never failed to bulldoze into his knees and slobber over his outfit. His second class of the day was uneventful, most of the period consisting of a break-down of upcoming events, the room as suffocating and hot as he remembered it being a year ago. By the time it ended Kellan practically fled the cramped space, dramatically fanning his face as he headed to the Great Hall for dinner. He hadn't realized how hungry he'd been until he pushed the double doors open, the tantalizing scent of roasted chicken luring him eagerly to the Slytherin table. It was there, sitting with a fork and knife in hand, that he first heard the excited chatter about an anouncement to be made following the meal. No one seemed the know the exact details, but it was obviously something big to be worked up over. Kellan only half listened, his eyes roaming the vast room and smiling periodically when he spotted someone looking back. Honestly, by this point in the day he was more thrilled about the prospect of a shower than whatever the announcement consisted of. Kellan hoped he didn't appear as grimy as he felt. He had standards to maintain, afterall.

Professor Lockwood (Valen):
After spending years in the company of unsavory wizards, it felt strange to be back at Hogwarts on civil terms. Students rush by on their way to the Great Hall, which happened to be his destination as well except he wasn't nearly as enthusiastic to arrive. It wasn't that Valen disliked being back, in fact he was looking forward to returning to a class setting, but he was apprehensive about how his presence would be received. He pauses outside the giant oak doors, smoothing out his impossibly crinkled robe to postpone the inevitable. "C'mon Valen, you're supposed to be the adult here," he scolds under his breath, pressing his lips together before finally nudging the door open. He scans the room swiftly with one sweep of his eyes - a defensive habit he struggled to break - before starting to stride toward the staff table.

He forces his shoulders back and his chin up, his jaw set as he takes in the looks of his colleagues. They don't appear to be surprised by his appearance, at least he had that in his favor, but neither did they seem happy about it. Even Slughorn, who had prized him as a student, seemed stricken at the sight of him. When at last he reaches the end of the aisle, he bends his neck as a small show of courtesy. "Sorry I'm late," he says automatically, primarily to fill the silence as McGonagall stares at him as if he was a piece of Drooble's stuck to her heel. Valen tries not to fidget under the attention, keeping a steely composure until she finally speaks."Very well, take a seat Mr. Lockwood." Relieved, he doesn't even bat an eye that his chair is missing; instead he gives his wand a rough flick of the wrist and one is summoned at the end of the table. The corner of the headmistress' mouth tugs up slightly in amusement when he goes to take his spot next to Hagrid, who thumps him heavily on the back.

Looking around the Great Hall, Holly took a seat at the Hufflepuff table. Then, she looked up at where Headmistress McGonagall was sitting, hoping that one day, she'll be sitting there. It seemed fun for Holly, to be the headmistress of Hogwarts, a place where her dreams finally came true like petting a baby unicorn, flying on a broom, and stuffing her mouth with many pieces of candy. Something she never experienced as a little child.

Ada Stowe

-Amidst That Evening's Meal-

Ada slumped, somnolent, against the welcome weight of the Slytherin bench. Her day had been, with the exception of her Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson, altogether rather routine. History of Magic had, of course, been a delight. Professor Binns’ astute observations and spectacularly sweeping speeches were bewitching as ever. And, Ancient Studies, a novel addition to Ada’s current course load, had been simply splendid, beginning with a spellbinding, sensational lecture detailing the societal and sociological conventions of the Egyptian Culture. The professor had proceeded to expound upon how these unique idiosyncrasies influenced and informed their particularly distinctive form of sorcery and then concluded with a lesson concerning a rudimentary Egyptian incantation that he felt (and Ada agreed) was intrinsic to their studies. Ada heaped an enormous spoonful of some sort of vegetable curry onto her previously empty plate, eager for the end of this evening’s meal. There was apparently an extremely important announcement that’d be made immediately following the conclusion of that night’s collation, something special to enliven an otherwise ordinary first day.

Holly helped herself to some mashed potato and something she'd never seen before, but it was delicious. She thought about how she was going to spend the time after her meal. Should I put dungbombs in random corridors? Should I take a walk? Geez, what should I do?? Holly stuffed some chicken in her mouth and saved some for Winter. Even though Winter had her own food, Holly still liked to feed her food from her meals that she saved especially for her cat. Finishing her food, she silently left the Great Hall, ran to the Hufflepuff common room to quickly give Winter her food, and skipped to a random hallway. There, she hid a dungbomb and went to the next hallway. She did the same thing there, too. Satisfied with her work, Holly sprinted back to her common room and washed her hands thoroughly before touching anything else.

Barry Elliot Noble
dylan-obrien-face-resting-on-arm-main.jpg

Ada's words echoed in his mind the rest of the day, drowning out most of the boring first day stuff from most of his other classes. This did not stop them from taking a toll on him however, leading to a weary rest in the Ravenclaw common room after Charms. Luckily Flitwick was his normal charming self and took pity on his tired students, allowing them out a few minutes ahead of schedule to start on the reading he had given them. Without realizing it he had dozed off, awakening only minutes until dinner was served. Giving a small curse he would nab a light hoodie, dashing through the halls in order to make dinner on time.

Somehow making it right on schedule he would try to casually walk to the Ravenclaw table, though it was more "Wheezing while trying not to limp from tripping down that gods forsaken tall ass tower". Not very surprised at how empty the table was he sat a little further from most of the other Ravenclaws who decided to attend dinner. Filling his plate half heartedly with roasted chicken and mashed potatoes. Resting his head on his hand he tiredly picked at his food, his eyes lazily going over the other students, his mind wandering to thoughts of whatever the announcement could be. His eyes would catch on an older Slytherin boy looking at him. August? Andrew? I know I had a class with him... Maybe... Was it last year? Or this year? Damn it, you idiot, you should be paying better attention in class! How else are you going to keep your scholarship! But I know I have seen him before... Gah what is his name, this is gunna kill me. His thoughts drifting off into the horrible hell of his mind he would appear to simply stare, a slightly vacant expression on his face as he got lost.

Mentions/Location/Interactions Mentions: jespereilvapleuvoir jespereilvapleuvoir (Ada) calvinuu123 calvinuu123 (Austin)
Location: Hogwarts || Great Hall || Far-end of the Ravenclaw Table ||
Interactions: N/A

Most of the students had finally made their way, slowly, into the Great Hall. The house tables were looking a bit fuller, though no more cheerful and much emptier still than past years. The chatter wasn't as loud as it had been the night before for the Start of the Year Feast. The students seemed much more tired and dreary. Clearly, the first day of classes had not been an easy one for any of them. But, McGonagall put a warm smile on her face, none-the-less. Kind of an odd sight for those who had had her as the Transfiguration professor in years previous. She stood and held out her arms as a sign for the Hall to hush and silence fell over the students as they all swiveled their heads and paused their conversations to hear what she had to say. The excitement about the announcement rumors had died down slightly but it started to pick up again in the silent tension that filled the air as they all waited for her to speak. Clearly her throat and peering out over the tired faces of all her students, she began, "Again, I want to say welcome back. I hope that your first day of classes were not too terribly hard and that the load of homework you received is not too troubling. Before we indulge in the wonderful feast that waits for us, I have a few announcements to make. Once again, as a reminder because it may have slipped your mind over the last year, first years are not allowed to be on house Quidditch teams except in exceptional cases. As for the rest of you, House Quidditch tryouts will be held in a week. Information will be posted in your House common room and any questions can be answered by your House Quidditch captain. Along with this, I would like to make first years aware, once again, that they are not allowed broomsticks for the first year at Hogwarts. Any first year found with a broomstick will be punished accordingly... We've had one too many mishaps with first years a brooms." She paused her, her eyes going a bit misty and slight smile forming on her lips as if she was picturing a fond memory. But within a moment, it was gone and she was back to the way she had been before: warm but stern. "Now, aside from that, there is an unusual announcement that I would like to make." She paused here, perhaps for dramatic effect, and let the noise fire up a bit before quieting them all again. "As I am sure you have noticed, the past year has not been... easy for the wizarding world. We are struggling to rebuild ourselves and finding increasing tension between different beliefs about how we should go about doing just that. In fact, these tensions have even reached Hogwarts and you, the students. House rivalries are more extreme than they have been in years and there have already been too many fights to count just in the first day back in the school. So, it has been decided, that Hogwarts will hold a ball to promote the unity of the Houses and the school as one." At this the students roared again and she had to wait a moment for them to calm down enough for her to finish. "You will be expected to dress formally and act as ladies and gentlemen because that is still the students we expect you to be. Any fighting will not be tolerated for any reason and any student involved in any type of fight will be punished and, in extreme cases, expelled. The theme for the ball will be harmony and the Great Hall will decorated in harmonious shades of the house colors. Dates are encouraged, but not needed. Now, you may all enjoy the feast." And she sat back down in her chair as the food appeared on the tables.

Altsonis
Alts smiled and clapped then bit into a chicken leg. This would be his first ball, and he wanted to dress for it. His father had gotten a suit and tie for him a while ago, but it was never used. Now some use would come from the clothes.

Austin
Austin knew the drill and continued eating. The ball was rather boring but no matter. He would go, maybe cause a practical joke which he had thought up. It was standard though. He would where his white button up shirt and black tie. He always had his wand near his hand though, whenever he was at the ball. His hero had always said "Constant vigilance."

Holly had never been to a ball before, and she didn't want to go. I'm not going to wear a dress! Holly though over and over again, but couldn't help wondering how it felt to go to a ball in a soft silk dress with her hair all tidied up. Blushing at the thought, Holly just continued drawing and thought about the dress her aunt gave her. Maybe it's time she took that out after, well, a few years.

Ada Stowe

The ball seemed a perfectly meretricious scheme. Ada, of course, imagined it would be an altogether inadequate attempt to heal the innumerable emotional scars that had resulted from the most recent Wizarding War, as she suspected such wounds could only ever be cured with time (never in a span so short as one evening,) but the ball would make for a lovely anesthetic. And, Ada reasoned, it would be simply improprietous to spurn such an opulent opioid, or anything so delectably false for that matter. She could already picture the collection of nondescript figures twirling in time to a tune of her invention, slow and heady, gowns glittering glibly like so many stars.

And so she rose, providing a standing ovation for a soporific soiree, if nothing else.

As she sank once more unto the sturdy wood of the Slytherin bench, the presence of a new professor caught her eye, a young replacement for their now-headmistress. He appeared to be quite out of place, shifting uncomfortably in his seat, eyes darting across the chamber, as if scouring the hall’s corners and crevices for a discreet escape. He evoked the image of criminal, certainly culpable and terribly contrite, meeting the gaze of no one for fear that one might peer through his eyes and into the festering, half-devoured core of a blackened and blighted and broken soul. With this in mind, she watched the man ceaselessly, hoping that perhaps she might glimpse his spirit.

Knarf Knarf

Professor Lockwood
Valen had his elbow on the table and his hand clenched in a fist, his cheek pressing against the knuckles while he stared blankly across the room. There appeared to be mixed emotions about the ball anouncement, the majority being postive, but Valen was among the minority in thinking it a wasted effort. The ball had the advantage of giving the students something to focus on other than the war's aftermath, sure, but then what? How was something as frivolous as a dance supposed to mend broken relationships? Maybe if the students were enforced to partner with other houses, not that McGonagall would ever agree to it. She'd probably think it would cause more conflict, but in his experience fighting was one of the few outlets to destroy pent-up demons. Better to happen at school under supervision than out in the real world, he reasoned.

Maybe I could start a dueling club, he considers wistfully, regarding the students in front of him. Getting the headmistress to consent would be a challenge, but Valen could be quite persuasive when he put his mind to it. A dueling club would certainly open conversation between the houses and aim to dispel any animosity that lingered. Afterall, once things hit the bottom, the only direction left was up, right? Perhaps when the dance was over, if things didn't improve, he'd consider mentioning it then.

After suffering another twenty minutes of sitting stiffly at the teacher's table, being shunned from conversation and looking misplaced next to his superiors, he stood to exit as quietly as possible. It was as he began to make a swift departure that he spotted a curly haired Slytherin staring intensely in his direction. Valen felt himself tense instinctually before reminding himself that she was probably just looking in harmless curiosity. Forcing his face to relax, Valen raised an inquiring eyebrow at her and gave a ghost of a smile. He hoped it came off more friendly than it felt as he ducked out a side door, starting to unbutton his suffocating collar the moment his back was to the Great Hall.

jespereilvapleuvoir jespereilvapleuvoir

Altsonis
Altsonis claps and finishes his food, then goes back to his common room. Altsonis drinks some butterbeer and lays on the floor. Thinking.

Austin
Austin looked around, drinking a wine and sitting by the fire, as rich boys did. That's why he did it. Why he did some things at least. To carry a stereotype.

Once McGonagall finishes her speech, the students continue to converse about the upcoming ball in excited whispers. It was a nice change from the resigned murmuring that had been in its place minutes before and even Kellan was feeling more perky. A night of dancing and extravagant attire would be the perfect distraction. Who knows? Maybe he would even find someone to accompany him. Kellan glances down the Slytherin table before peering across the hall at the other houses, his mind swimming with prospects. He was glad his refusal to leave behind his dress robes wasn't in vain.

He finishes up his meal promptly before following a group of animated third years out of the Great Hall. Shoving his hands into his pockets, his right hand fiddling with the wand stored there, Kellan heads off in the direction of the dungeons. He might as well start reviewing Diricawls, even if his mind was still in a dance-induced daze. Besides, he didn't want to seem completely daft when he got around to studying with Alt. He was sure they'd studied the creatures in a previous year, but considering they weren't O.W.L. or N.E.W.T. material, no one had bothered to commit them to memory.

...Except apparently the Ravenclaws, Kellan amends.

When at last he enters the Slytherin Dungeons, he's pleased to see that it's still fairly empty and quickly occupies one of the last available armchairs before pulling out his DADA textbook. Trying to avoid seeming too reluctant, he pries open the book and begins to skim over the content, jotting down any notes that seem worthwhile (which wasn't much, judging by the three sentences scribbled on the parchment when Kellan reaches the end of the chapter). Perhaps he should refine his skimming abilities.

Barry Elliot Noble
dylan-obrien-face-resting-on-arm-main.jpg

While Headmistress's announcement was followed by a deafening cheer from the students around him, Barry sat in a sort of stunned silence. A dance? Wouldn't that interrupt our study time? Will the teachers be more lenient on our work? This will probably pout them in a bad mood, or at least Milicks, no one will want to pay attention! And who is going to ask me? You are rather plain. Not really ugly, but you also do not exactly stick out. Brown hair and brown eyes, what an exiting combo... And even if someone asked me to attend the dance with them, what would I say? Yes? What if I don't like the person? Or if a girl asks me? Maybe as friends? This dance just brings more stress! What if you decide to just work on your assignments? The library is sure to be empty... Once again his thoughts wandered away from the positive notes of the evening, to a different, not nearly as happy place. He had unwillingly and unconsciously become a pessimist for the most part, largely in part from the stress of the previous year.

Thinking on the dance and what he could be doing he idly finished his dinner, not really saying much to anyone, even to the few other Ravenclaws who tried in a vain attempt to engage him in conversation about the dance. Finishing earlier than normal he would stand, crossing his arms as he kept his head low, heading towards the door, his thoughts still going faster than a Firebolt.
You don't exactly have dress robes... Will just a nice shirt and a house tie and dress pants and shoes do? Or will I have to go to Hogsmede and buy dress robes? I should have enough in my account, but it would be hard to explain to a sponsor...

Mentions/Location/Interactions Mentions: N/A
Interactions N/A, open to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back