• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight

aurivee_

Certified Angst Enjoyer
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The Wild Beyond the Witchlight
Prologue

---

Ah. You're here. It's been a long time, hasn't it?
I have quite the story for you. I won't spoil it, of course, but I think you'll find it quite intriguing.
This is a story of friendship and fate, of love and loss, of endings and beginnings. You could call it a fairy tale, I suppose.

I won't ramble for too long. This is, to put it simply, a long story, and we don't have forever.
(...well, I suppose that isn't entirely true, is it?)
Once upon a time...

This summer feels like a long, uninterrupted dream. During the break from your first year of studies at Blackstaff Tower, you’ve slid down haystacks, ran barefoot through dewy meadows, leapt from ropes into rivers, fished with jars, and undertaken dangerous escapades. You’re kids united by a single, thrilling secret—Juniper, the orphaned owlbear cublet.

You found her one morning, lost and shivering, with nothing but a wooden tag around her neck to identify her. You looked for her owner (though not for too long!), then adopted her into your gang. You’ve kept her secret and promised to care for her. Juniper is the tie that binds you together and you’ll never, ever let her come to harm…

As the weeks wheel by, days turn shorter, and rain forces many of your games indoors. Just when the leaves begin to turn and school is set to restart, there's the most exciting news - the Witchlight Carnival is coming to visit Waterdeep to offer a final breath of summer. You've only heard of it of course as the Witchlight Carnival only visits every 8 years, but on the scheduled day you've gathered by a clearing just outside of town where it's set to arrive in anticipation. Juniper has accompanied you, and she sits on the ground at your feet, sharing in your excitement.

As you wait for the carnival to arrive, you may all take this opportunity to describe your characters. If you would like to interact with your party, you may also do so now.

[New NPC entry unlocked: Juniper]

Cayde
On a stump that once was a great tree, there sat Cayde, with a bucket of freshly caught fish for Juniper.
His hair was still the same short unkempt pile of pale blond hair that gently frames his face, his honey-colored skin shone with its warmth, and his emerald eyes were flickering with the flames of excitement for the opportunity to gather at the Carnival with his friends and Juniper.
He wore his casual outfit of a baggy linen shirt, brown leather overalls, calf-height boots and his favourite straw fishing hat made for him by his father.

So there he sat arriving only shortly before any of his friends arrived there, for not even a minute or two passed and he saw his group of friends approaching with their little Juniper.
"Hey everyone, over here!" He shouted to catch his friend's attention, and as they came closer Cayde took out one of the fish from the bucket and gave it to Juniper while saying and patting her head.
"Here you go lass, eat up so you can grow big." After making sure the cub was eating the fish happily he bent back and asked a simple question to his friends.
"So who else is excited about the Carnival? Also do remember at least one of us has to watch over Juniper at all times."

Veil winded his way through the narrow dirt path that cut through the forest near Blackstaff Academy. He was late. His friends wanted to meet at the trailhead so they could all walk in together but time is a fickle thing when you are not paying attention. He was about thirty seconds away from assuming he was following an irrelevant game trail and was pondering turning back when he heard faint laughter from somewhere ahead. The young water genasi paused and strained to hear. This time, chattering voices drifted through the thick undergrowth. It seemed like a large group speaking indistinctly in the distance. With new confidence in his wayfinding that had nothing to do with the confirmation he just received, Veil picked up the pace to catch up with his friends.

As Veil stepped into the clearing and spotted a number of his friends, the first thing they would notice is that he had a new, terrible haircut. The sides of his head were shaved military short while the top third of his head was still covered in long, white hair pulled back into a loose ponytail. It was a hairstyle he saw on someone in their 5th year at the academy that Veil desperately wanted to emulate. The oversight was that the original was on a half-orc with black hair and Veils hair is so pale and translucent his head looked bald and deformed from a distance. Veil was oblivious to this, of course.
The genasi was dressed in his normal loose fitting, bright patterned pants and open sandals. His top was a gray, low cut commoner’s shirt that he thought went nicely with his skin tone. The time in the summer sun had darkened the blue hue to his skin and made the patterns on his skin stand out. He had his normal accessories of stone beaded bracelets and small pendants adorning his body. They clicked softly as he walked towards his friend group gathered on the edge of the clearing on and around a large tree stump.

After initial hellos and friend circle handshakes, Veil moved on to the main attraction. The small cublet named Juniper was circling Veil for attention. Veil crouched into a squat and opened his arms welcomely to the small excited owlbear, “Juni! Babygirl! How was your day?” he asked in the stereotypical baby talk. Veil reached out to let Juniper sniff and gently nibble his fingers curiously before stroking the top of her head. After Veil finished addressing Juniper, he noticed the bucket of fish Cayde had brought for their little companion. Veil rose back up, “Good call on the snacks”, he said, gesturing to the bucket of small fish settled in the grass, “I barely had the forethought to grab myself something”.

Veil glanced around at the crowd that was gathering for the same reason they were. The Witchlight Carnival will be here soon and the excitement buzzed in the conversations around them. He couldn’t keep the stupid grin off his face.

"So who else is excited about the Carnival? Also do remember at least one of us has to watch over Juniper at all times."
He was very excited to take part in the carnival and he wasn’t sure if he could put it into words for Cayde. He nodded to Cayde and put his hands on his hips, "I have been looking forward to this for weeks! Thanks for the invite."
Since Veil moved into Waterdeep and enrolled in Blackstaff he has been having new experience after new experience. Growing up on a farm doesn’t lend a lot of opportunities for social interaction. This would be his first event like this in his life and he wanted to drink in every moment as if it was his last.

Last edited:
Dein Leruc:

Dein Leruc walked into the clearing and immediately went to start petting Juniper. It was always good to have someone happy to see him.

As the heir to their business his merchant parents insisted he dress well, but Dein preferred simpler outfits when he could pick what he wore. Why spend more than you need to when it's just meant to fulfill a function? Currently he was wearing a comfortable well-worn outfit in browns and greys that could be easily cleaned if it got dirty. His black hair was cut just short enough that it wasn't curly and was freshly-combed. Thin to the point of being gaunt, Dein was constantly told to eat more, but his fast metabolism and preference for small, healthy meals meant that for all he was taller than most boys his age he could probably hide behind one of them.

"Who's getting to be a big girl? You are! Now come here and-oof!"

As he showered the owlbear cub with affection Dein decided petting wasn't enough and pulled Juniper into a hug. Only to then end up on his back as the owlbear's weight and exuberance unbalanced him. Laughing and then wheezing as Juniper stepped on his chest to get off him, Dein got to his feet and noticed his assembled friends.

"8 years is too long, hopefully when I join the family business I'll be able to travel to other towns along the route. I don't think it'd lose it's appeal if I went once a year."

Dein claps his hands together, still wincing from getting stepped on by Juniper.

"Ah-anyway remember to act and spend responsibly. No sense wasting our time or money when there's a whole carnival to explore and experience!"

Malakai sat gingerly besides the owlbear, petting her soft baby feathers (fur? feathers. fur!) as she chewed on the fishy snack. He loved the little cub to bits, partly because she was too cute to not love, partly because he already loved animals anyway.

The Carnival had a lot of the younger kids in the class excited, Malakai included. His family struggled to put food on the table so he didn't expect much out of any Carnival games. The one silver coin he was granted for the event clinked sadly against the copper piece that represented his only savings, but he was determined to still enjoy the festival with his friends, and of course Juniper!

''I can watch over Juniper if anyone needs a break or wants to check something out in the Carnival. I don't mind hanging out with our good girl. Our very good girl, aren't you?'' He pets the cub as she goes off to play and step on Dein.

The night was sure to be stressful, but Malakai hopes to have a nice relaxing day, a break from his studies and stress.

--

(Hex for Mal; 3156FC . I tried to find a blue that doesn't clash with Veil :>)

The anticipation was high in the crowd around Aura as she stood with her friends. Although the exciting prospect of entering the rare festival sat within everyone's minds, Aura couldn't help but imagine the idea infested with squirming maggots. Her dark oak eyes flickered through the mass, stopping only when a familiar fluffy cub darted by her hooves.

The owl-bear cub was a beautiful distraction from Aura’s anxiety, and she grinned as she sat down on the rough earth to watch Juniper, lacing her frail fingers through the fur of her legs.

She giggled when the owl-bear cub tackled Veil, “get him Juni!” she egged on with a squeal, “Show him who’s boss.

Juniper retreated to her fish once Veil sat back up, and Aura hardly paid attention to the voices above her, preferring to offer pets to the sweet bear-owl cub instead. Her brown curls bounced as she perked up at the mention of Juniper, and her fawn-like ears flickered forward.

I’ll join Malakai!” she butted in as soon as she saw an opening.

As you wait in the clearing, the carnival's colorful wagons suddenly soar down from the sky, pulled by horses wearing butterfly wings. As you watch in amazement, the carnival quickly begins to set up nearby, with rides and stalls seemingly unfolding from nowhere. The fairground is stood up so incredibly fast it must be magic! You're not far and you all share the same tense excitement. Even Juniper seems caught up in it - her eyes shining eagerly in the evening's glow.

Unfortunately, it seems that your presence has caught some unwanted attention...

housegoat13 housegoat13 Please make a Dexterity Saving Throw.

[On a Dex save of 13...]

A figure interrupts the excited atmosphere with a start, shoving Aura to the side. Aura, you are able to stabilize yourself and avoid falling over - but just barely.

This is Mell, an all-too-familiar schoolyard bully. He's about your age - a tall, dark-haired human child with a cruel smirk on his face. This is a fairly frequent routine with him - he's significantly stronger than most youth of his and your age, and he knows that well.

Following him are a group of similarly smirking children - Kelek, Skylla, Zarak, and Zargash. They laugh viciously, before Mell silences them with a single gesture of his hand. With the exception of Zarak, a young goblin, they're all relatively unremarkable human kids. It's together that they become a problem. They call themselves "The League" - a group of bullies, delinquents, and miscreants that have been the school's tormentors since day one of your time there.

Mell sizes up the party, looking you all up and down, before his eyes land on Veil - specifically, Veil's new haircut.

"...What's with the haircut? Did the owlbear do it for you?" he drawls, glancing down at Juniper, who is now cowering behind Cayde.

His attention returns to the rest of the group. "Not surprised to find you lot here. You freaks will fit right in at the carnival, eh?"

His lackeys explode into laughter at the comment - Zarak especially looks as if he's emulating a cheerleader at Mell's side.

Dein Leruc:

Dein sighs. Was it too much to hope that they'd just be able to enjoy the carnival?

Holding up his hands placatingly, he turns to the League.

"Can't we have a truce until the carnival's over? I mean if you'd rather miss it because you started trouble that's one thing, but wouldn't you rather go?"

(Persuasion check, total of 16).

Dein didn't know what'd happen if the League kept up at this, but he wasn't going to have today ruined because of it. Someone had to be the responsible one and it looked like that would be him today. No sense picking a fight, especially with Juniper here. No way was he risking the owlbear cub getting hurt.

Last edited:
CAYDE
Cayde had a patience of a saint when it came to most people, but the League were not most people, for whatever reason they were able to push all the wrong buttons all at once for him really playing on his nerves.
But he had to steel his nerves and calm himself, getting into a fight here would not be so easy and someone would be hurt.
'Think Cayde think how can we get them away. I know!' He thought to himself before opening his mouth to utter such words.
"Missing the carnival is one thing, but missing out on the free candy they give out by the main tent would be blasphemous. And knowing they don't have much of it I would recommend running for it" [Deception check total of 5]
Only now after speaking those words did Cayde realize that it wasn't the best lie he told ever, but maybe at least one would be able to be fooled he even hoped it would be Mell after all he was all muscle and little brain.

Veil’s attention drifted from watching the owlbear’s adorable antics to his friends being excited. Dein was just giving them all his normal pep talk sprinkled with financial advice for the night ahead,

"Ah-anyway remember to act and spend responsibly. No sense wasting our time or money when there's a whole carnival to explore and experience!"

Veil became painfully aware of how light his coin pouch was. He managed to scrape together a silver piece by helping Ironside shovel the horse stables for a week. His one silver was being kept company by a single copper coin he found in the mud while he was walking to the trailhead an hour before. Not much but he hoped it would be enough to get something to remember the carnival by,

”You can’t tell me what to do! I’m going to blow through my lone silver piece on chewing gum ” he chuckled, ”But in all seriousness, we should use the buddy system and come up with a meeting spot in case we get separated”.

Veil couldn’t help but worry about his friend’s safety. Especially when they were about to go wander around a carnival from another plane of existence. Veil had an ironic tendency to be distrusting when it comes to things crossing planes.

His concern began to melt away once a multi-coloed portal opened up in the sky above the crowd and carriages pulled by winged horses descended to the forest floor. As they touched down, Veil lost sight of them over the heads in the crowd. Before he could begin to crane his neck, the tents began to spring up as if they were giant mushrooms after a storm. Poles intertwined with string lights rose towards the sky, the wires holding the lights seemed to fade into being in between Veil blinking his eyes. His distrust towards the carnival evaporated once the scene took place in front of them. The crowd’s cheers and energy almost overshadowed the dark prepubescent presents that approached.

"...What's with the haircut? Did the owlbear do it for you?" he sneered and Veil.Is my haircut really that bad? The barber told him that lots of students were getting their haircut like this. Maybe his first cue should have been that no one else in his class had the same style. Dein and Cayde tried their best to rebut him. He appreciated both efforts, The malice Dein added to his words seemed to hit a few of The League.

”No, she clearly can’t hold scissors” he said, gesturing to the little cublet, I did tell the guy,’make me look like Mell’ and here we are . Frowned when his group didn’t freak out like Mell’s did. Maybe they rehearsed beforehand?

A shove threw Aura off balance, and she flung her limbs out to regain herself in her seated position. “Hey!” she shouted at no one in particular, clenching her teeth as she stood up to face her attacker, only for doubt to cascade down her face as she realized that Mell was the one towering over her small form.

She took a nervous step back, and her attention darted to Veil at Mell’s taunt.

Veil, I like your haircut,” Aura affirmed, stepping behind the boys who seemed more than eager to handle the situation. “Mell’s just being mean.

Frowned when his group didn’t freak out like Mell’s did. Maybe they rehearsed beforehand?

It does seem like that to you. They do this quite often, and it seems like quite the practiced routine.

"Can't we have a truce until the carnival's over? I mean if you'd rather miss it because you started trouble that's one thing, but wouldn't you rather go?"

"Missing the carnival is one thing, but missing out on the free candy they give out by the main tent would be blasphemous. And knowing they don't have much of it I would recommend running for it"

[On a Persuasion check of 16, and a Deception check of 5...]

Mell looks between you all and scoffs. "This is a waste of my time."

"Yeah! Quit wasting his time!" Zarak chimes in. Mell silences him with a glare.

"We'll be on our way." He pulls a set of five large, elaborately designed carnival tickets out of his pockets, holding them up like a hand of cards. "My parents pulled some strings and got us tickets early. You lot, on the other hand..." He gestures to the growing line at the ticket tent. "I don't think you'll be joining the fun any time soon. Enjoy the wait, though. I'm sure that line will be plenty thrilling for you." You realize with a start that you've been tricked - and now you'll have to wait even longer to partake in the Carnival...

Mell laughs. "Later, freaks!" With that, he and his satisfied band of bullies stroll towards the carnival, tickets in hand.

There's a far more pressing issue on your hands, however, and you realize it only once you take a better look at the carnival. You didn't notice in the chaos, but Juniper is no longer with you. You see her fleeing towards the carnival. Before you can do much of anything, she's entered the Carnival's grounds and has mixed in with the growing crowd. Juniper tends to be easily scared - the conflict must have startled her...

The line is long, and it'll be easy for Juniper to get lost in the chaos of the Carnival. What do you do?

Momentarily distracted by Mell and Zarak, Malakai had stepped forward in disdain, leaving Juniper behind for just a moment.

A moment too late it would seem, watching her disappear into the crowd between their legs.

''Guys, Juniper's gone!''

With little thought given to his actions Malakai races after the cub, hoping he doesn't lose sight for too long. He doesn't stick around to hear the where the meeting site will be (he just glances back at Aura to see if she's coming after Juniper too), nor does he pay attention to any line at the carnival entrance - instead, he sneaks to the side and tries to find the quickest way to break in and run after Juniper.

[Stealth check 8]

Last edited:
Veil’s face undoubtedly gave Mell the reaction he was looking for as the group burst into cruel laughter. Tickets? No one in the group had mentioned tickets, had they? Veil looked with disappointment at the growing line. The crowd was funneling towards some colorful huts situated in a neat line to create the “front gate” of the carnival. It honestly wouldn’t take that much longer to wait in line—
Malakai ’s voice cut through his thoughts. Veil looked around and confirmed that Juniper was, in fact, gone. He scanned the lower half of the crowd trying to spot the little ball of white but it was hopeless. The crowd was too thick and the forest of legs obscured any hope of spotting the scared little owlbear.
Mal was already sprinting after something Veil could not see. He seemed to be only focused on getting their companion back and was racing past the line.

”Shit." he swore to himself and looked apologetically at Cayde. He was just saying that they all needed to keep an eye on Juniper and the first distraction had them all making bad decisions. To keep with the theme of bad decisions, Veil broke out into a sprint in the opposite direction of Mal. If they were going to break into a magic carnival, Maybe one of them could distract the burly carnies long enough for the other to slip in.

(What is Veil looking at as he approaches?))
((Veil is looking for the stealthy path in))

He doesn't stick around to hear the where the meeting site will be (he just glances back at Aura to see if she's coming after Juniper too), nor does he pay attention to any line at the carnival entrance - instead, he sneaks to the side and tries to find the quickest way to break in and run after Juniper.

(What is Veil looking at as he approaches?))
((Veil is looking for the stealthy path in))

The two of you are the first to race in Juniper's direction, worried for the young cublet. You see colorful stalls lining the trampled grass. Carnival guests mill around, laughing, while stallholders cry out from their games and the music of a calliope drifts from afar. Fantastical beasts stick out in the crowd: a giant, six-legged feline with barbed tentacles sprouting from its shoulders, pixies riding giant snails, and more. A gruff bugbear wearing a belt of matted hair patrols the area, keeping an eye out for troublemakers.

You spot that all carnival guests and carnival hands are wearing a set of butterfly wings on their back. The carnival guests all clutch printed tickets in their hands.

You can think of a few ways to get in uninhibited. What do you do?

[A variety of checks will work here, provided that you explain what you are doing beforehand. You can make a post describing the start of your attempt, at which point I will call for a roll.]

Mell had stalled them, and that much was clear as Aura searched behind her in dismay, this wasn't fair. But before she could think too much on the rapidly growing crowd, Malakai's shout bounced towards her.

What? Aura panicked, searching the ground below her, only to spot the fleeing streak of white through her peripheral vision, the frightened cub was sprinting away from them. Instinctively she chased after the owl-bear, only for her small frame to be out-ran by Malakai and Veil.

Aura barely stopped herself from crashing into Malakai as she neared the edge of the carnival and towards the now-standing boys. "Wait, why are we stopping?” she panted, skidding to a halt "We have to get to Juniper before we lose her!"

CAYDE
Only now realizing the gravity of the situation Cayde began to run towards the carnival site although a bit from the side hoping to find a tent close by which isn't properly secured so he can just lift a bit of the side material and go inside of it effectively slipping inside the place.
Albeit there was a slight problem to his plan, a few of them in fact.
The first one was finding such a place, the second was being able to successfully pull it off, the third was being able to find Juniper and his friends later and lastly hopefully not getting in trouble for sneaking in later.
Truthfully Cayde knew the last one was more of a dream or a wish than a reality since he knew how Fae operate thanks to his father telling him many stories of them, after all, he hailed from their land.

Now being ever so closer to the carnival site Cayde yelled to his friends believing they would hear him.

"Meet up around the big tent when we find Juniper or in an hour or so!"
As he was now this close to the site he quickly and quietly veered to the side towards one of the side tents hoping to slip in unnoticed.
[Stealth check total of 20. not a nat 20]

Dein Leruc:

Dein sees Juniper panicking and knows he needs to save her.

Normally he'd buy a ticket first, but there wasn't the time. He'd buy the ticket after assuring the owlbear cub's safety.

Pushing his way up through the line Dein tried to apologize his way into the carnival to catch up to the others.

Finally he gets to the carnival hand blocking his way Dein puts on his most apologetic face.

"Please excuse me, I've got to catch up with my friends. It's very important. I just need to find them and then I'll be right back."

Dein's entirely sincere in his pleading and intends to buy a ticket after he's got Juniper safe and is with the rest of his friends.

(Total Persuasion roll of 14)

Last edited:
Kidzait Kidzait Megilagor Megilagor Lotte Lotte

(On stealth checks of 19, non-natural 20, and 8...)

The three of you are off at once. You manage to find a quieter path through a side tent. In his haste, Malakai stumbles slightly, but is able to regain footing with the help of his companions. From what you can tell, you manage to go completely unnoticed.

--

Gravitational Force Gravitational Force

The bugbear glares at you for a moment, clearly annoyed at the interruption, but your words seem to soften his expression. He considers you for a moment, glancing around to make sure no other carnival hands are in earshot.

"...Y'know what, go ahead. Just, uh, try to stay under the radar." He awkwardly gestures to the carnival, and then steps aside, allowing you to pass.

--

housegoat13 housegoat13

With little to no time to process the situation, you follow your first instinct and charge directly onto the carnival's grounds. As you run, you notice Dein speaking to the carnival hand you saw before. The bugbear seems to be distracted... and you manage to get into the carnival without meeting any opposition whatsoever.

--

The five of you, granted by very different means, have successfully made it into the carnival without tickets. You notice each other right away, before taking in your new environment.

The carnival is filling up as more and more patrons enter the carnival. You seem to have landed in a less populated section, lined with several game tents.

1685242889053.png

Regardless of the smaller crowd here, the carnival is overwhelmingly whimsical and energetic. From clowns on stilts tossing down sugary treats to flowers sprouting from the ground to serenade passersby, there's something amazing wherever you look. You can feel the magic in the air here.

You don't see Juniper immediately, but she can't have gotten far. You must rescue her before the carnival whisks her away on its magical journey. Eight years is a long time...

As you search for the missing owlbear cub, everyone please roll a Perception check.

--

[New location unlocked: A Corner of the Carnival]

Gravitational Force Gravitational Force Kidzait Kidzait housegoat13 housegoat13

While searching the surrounding area, you three are the first to notice Juniper out of the corner of your eyes! She's dashing towards a caravan, which looks relatively out of place amongst the various game stalls. Before you can stop her, she's jumped onto the windowsill. The shutters of the window seem to open on their own, and Juniper jumps inside and out of sight. As soon as she enters, they close just as quickly as they'd opened.

There's a sign on the front door of the caravan, reading Knock for Candlefoot's story hour! (3 carnival prize entry fee!)

How do you proceed?

Dein Leruc:

Dein pauses. He already feels bad enough entering the carnival without a ticket, he doesn't want to cheat whoever Candlefoot is out of their fee too.

Turning to the rest of the group he tries to get their attention.

"Okay, we need three prizes to get in. If we all play a game we're bound to get that many, so should we split up and try that?"

He's not going to suggest just breaking into the wagon, but if it's just to get Juniper and they explain that after they have her back it should be fine, right?

Plus he's telling the others to do it by the rules, hopefully they can do this the right way.

Veil was glad Cayde was there to remind him that they were trying to go unnoticed. Otherwise, he would have just made a beeline for the last place he saw the owlbear cub in the crowd. The trio stuck together in a tight group, a fact that helped when Malakai stumbled over an uneven patch of grass. Veil helped catch him under the arm to keep him upright. The group passed into the shadow of a medium sized tent away from the prying eyes of the carnies patrolling the area. It was then that Veil noticed they had lost Dein and Aura. He glanced around in the dim light but did not see his absent friends, ”do you think they got in ok?” he whispered before slipping into the bright lights of the carnival.

Luckily, Veil’s friends were able to spot each other rather quickly and regroup in between two loud game booths. The party gathered, all huffing from the quick sprints they all did. Veil made a mental note to ask Dein and Aura what happened and how they managed to get in. As they all tried to catch their breath, Veil began scanning the area in hopes of spotting their companion. The crowd was not as thick as expected. A majority of the butterfly winged patrons were gathering near the booths or being pulled from place to place by excited children. It seemed hopeless they would find the little owlbear before the carnival vanished for another eight years. He was looking at the wagon across from where they were standing when he spotted Juniper clamoring into an open window. He pointed but could not get the words out,

”uhhhhh..Ju-...Birdbear!” was all he managed to get out before the window snapped shut. Veil began to walk towards the wagon, already debating if it would be better to pull the window open and slipping in or if he could just walk in when Dein spoke up,

”Okay, we need three prizes to get in. If we all play a game we're bound to get that many, so should we split up and try that?"

Veil blinked, confused at Dein’s words. He looked back at the wagon more closely. Now he could see the sign swinging gently over the door that he overlooked earlier stating that it took three carnival prizes to enter.

”Oh…yeah…that’s what I was thinking too…” he said sheepishly. He looked at the booths that lined the main path in both directions. Veil found the shouting and lights and colorful signs all very overwhelming. He eventually gave up and just chose to go with the closest option.

”I’ll go…” he trailed off, squinting to read the sign, ”Bash-a-Beholder, I guess. ” He looked at each of his friends with concern. The clock was ticking but splitting up made him nervous. They were way stronger as a group than individuals. Veil shoved that thought aside and started towards the booth, hopes high that the challenge could land him one of the three prizes they needed

((Love me some mini-games))

Kidzait Kidzait

You're the first to break off from the group, heading towards the nearest stall. You've got to start somewhere, after all!

The stall is manned by two small pixies, neither more than a foot tall. Behind them floats an illusory beholder, engaged with a small child swinging madly at its eye-stalks with a wooden mallet. One of the pixies has their back to you, encouraging the game's current player, while the other waits patiently at the counter, catching your eye as you approach. She smiles, enthusiasm shining in her eyes.

"Welcome! Here to try your hand at a game of Bash-a-Beholder?" A golden ticket puncher appears in her arms. It's clearly a bit big for her - most likely designed for a humanoid's hands - until she snaps her fingers and it shrinks to fit in her own. She catches it as it falls, twirling the now significantly smaller implement in her hand.

"May I see your ticket?" As she says this, her eyes drift to just over your shoulder, and an expression of worry crosses her face briefly. It's gone as quickly as it appeared, however, and is swiftly replaced by an expectant smile as she holds out the ticket puncher.

CAYDE
Cayde managed to stealthy enter the carnival area and quickly he spotted his friends within those grounds, so as they regrouped he made sure that Mell and their entourage are nowhere near them. During that time
"Three prizes to get in you say. We best split up but stick close to each other."
Having said so Cayde was deep in thought about which minigame to play and with who, which took him a bit only to be able to behold the sight of Veil going to some game and being asked for a ticket.
"From what I see we need a ticket for that so let me just see around for a bit."

[Perception check total 11]
Cayde saw a few patrons with accessible tickets, but they were far away, then out of the corner of his eyes he saw the ideal victim for his evil deed, someone who held his ticket real loose goosey which was suitable for him to steal it.
So he approached them and with finesse acted as to have the ticket be hooked onto his fishing rod to acquire it.
[Sleight of hand check total 21, nat 20]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back