Experiences The Weirdest Thing You've Googled for a RP

I almost forgot.... Types of cheese around the world. This was for a roleplay in which the characters were all personifications of different types of cheese.

- how to brainwash someone
- prisoner of war torture
-methods of torture
-symptoms of sleep deprivation
-symptoms of hypothermia
-best way to restrain someone
-mental abuse
-psychological damage
-ptsd symptoms
-amnesia what is it like?
-slave treatment
-slave punishment
-injuries of beating
-injuries of whipping

This was for an RP I was running some time back. Player’s character had been captured by villain. Villain wanted him to reveal a particular piece of information that would have allowed him to destroy the world. The character obviously wasn’t going to help willingly, so player and I agreed we needed to break him. Hence in depth research into brainwashing, torture, etc.

on a happier note, Google was probably relieved when I later started looking up recovery from brainwashing and recovery from abuse.

For another scene I was working on-

-how long does it take to burn alive
-how long does it take to die if you burn alive
-what is it like to burn alive
-which parts of the body burn fastest
-how painful is burning

the kinda funny thing is that I have a phobia of flames and the idea of burning alive… so this whole scene and the research required to get the details right gave me nightmares for weeks

"Does encephalitis have flare ups?" Or "encephalitis after effects"

I think my profile picture makes it obvious why I was googling that lmao

Even the context for this one is pretty bizarre.
"Can cats get high on weed." "How quickly can a cat get high from weed," and "How long does it take for a cat to get high."
Because I don't know much about marijuana. And I've got a character who's a cat who's been exposed to weed smoke. And I am probably overthinking the roleplay at the moment, as the characters who actually are getting high are a haunted tank and a vivified teddy bear.

For another scene I was working on-

-how long does it take to burn alive
-how long does it take to die if you burn alive
-what is it like to burn alive
-which parts of the body burn fastest
-how painful is burning

the kinda funny thing is that I have a phobia of flames and the idea of burning alive… so this whole scene and the research required to get the details right gave me nightmares for weeks

LOL, you left out "How hot does it have to get to cremate a body?"

Yep, I did my research on the process for a character who was a cleaner for the mob. She went along on a hunt for some guy involved in a drive by on a family member. The guy was with friends at some cabin in the woods. They had a campfire burning. One of our group leaders suggested that the problem of burning the bodies was solved. Then my character pipes up and explains that their little bonfire wasn't near hot enough.

i've got a character who's a mortician who I used to use a lot, so a lot of embalming and decomposition related questions !! there's also the time a few years ago when I just started out with roleplaying on I think quotev? and one of my characters was autistic! so I looked up symptoms of autism and how to play autistic characters and went "oh shit. I'm autistic." ended up being right and a few years later i was professionally diagnosed with autism!

It's been a while since I did an RP, but the weirdest thing I searched for is (Insert word) in hexadecimal or binary. I have a character who speaks to machines and different forms of technology. However, when he is really nervous, he will actually say 1's or 0's, which can be translated to real words.

Just a couple slightly strange things that come to mind...
- what exactly the pneumo system from BioShock is called irl
- 'office of the French revolution' in French (that one's obvious enough but I wanted to be sure I got it right)
- the latin words required to make the word 'caerulocapillitis' (because that character definitely doesn't dye her hair, nope.)
- the penalty for triggering a false fire alarm in the UK
- is there a mobile version of Animal Crossing???
- buckshot vs slugs (I had the right general idea but wanted to clarify)
- pine martens (if there's enough of them it's a 'richness of martens' apparently! but alas, they live solitary lives)
- deconstructed crepes

Some of my googles that would surely list me somewhere are:

- What is the term for murdering your parents, siblings, cousins, etc.
- treatment for burns.
- symptoms for [ insert mental disorder ].
- lobotomy.
- ways to die in the victorian era, edwardian era, and other historic periods.
- list of mental disorders.

I am sure plenty more strange things have been googled in order to work them into my role plays, some are also google out of general interest.

You know, your typical post apocalyptic things like dismantling nuclear bombs and what happens to the leftover uranium/plutonium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back