• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

PsyrenSqwack

Powered by the Apocalypse Roleplayer
Hello all! First off, I would be interested in running this with 1-3 other players, for a total of 4 including myself. All experiences welcome, but please be committed to at least a paragraph per post.

SYNOPSIS:
Through various circumstances, you have come to know of the existence of the supernatural. Some are touched by it and can never turn away from it, others are born in it and have embraced that side of their life. The world at large, however, has been deemed unable to handle such knowledge, so most supernatural creatures have found ways to live alongside humanity, blending in with society to the point that most have become unnoticeable. Some, however, choose to live closer to one another so that they can embrace their original forms and needs a bit more closer. To that end, local governments have setup what they call "The Watch"; small teams whose sole purpose is to aid the supernatural beings in day-to-day life and, when necessary, keep the existence of these beings hidden. To that end, you have joined a small team in the rural town of Edris Falls, located not far from a major urban nexus. The town once thrived on a booming tourism industry, as nature lovers flocked from all over to visit the nearby Edison Mills National Park, but the past few months has seen a series of wildfires in the park and tourism has been on the decline. While this has made the job of keeping humans from discovering the true supernatural nature of Edris Falls' residents, it has made the populace more on edge as the money has seemingly begun to dry up, and then finally the tension came to a head when Demetri Black, a vampire and owner of the local bar "Demetri's Coffin", was assaulted and beaten to a pulp by an unknown assailant, and now everyone is afraid that Demetri's family will be out for blood.

THE BIG PICTURE:
The way I see this one playing out is rather straight forward: everyone will have their chance to tell their stories in this plot. Think of the town as more of an abstract concept: it exists, and the pieces are in place for a big showdown. But don't think of the above prompt as the be-all end-all for this story. The Watch gets requests CONSTANTLY. Sometimes it is going to be "Stop the local vampire from throwing down with the rock golems," but usually cases are more mundane, such as making medicine for the local dragon (European or Chinese) or finding lost children.

My vision for this is that most of the supernaturals maintain their human appearance, but can drop it at will. And don't limit them to just vampire/werewolf/other generic supernatural types. German supernatural creatures, Norse supernatual creatures, East Asian supernatural creatures, if you want it in the world, make it happen. I just want the prompt to serve as starting point to get you in the right mindset coming in. As a fun twist, I don't think all the residents of Edris Falls speak English, and some may not speak any human languages at all, preferring to speak only in their native tongue.

As for characters, I prefer the characters be at least 18 and any race is allowed so long as you have a good grounding for it being in this world. Also, characters are not inherently magic; magic does not exist, just people with powers. The exception to that is through your character's backstory, or your experience as the story is told; if you were a normal human, but you found a grimoire or staff that lets you cast magic, or you were influenced by the supernatural in some way that gave you magical abilities, that is acceptable. Additionally, as stated above, your background should include some grounding for why your character can see the supernatural. If your character is a supernatural, then it's pretty easy: I am supernatural, so I know of the existence of the supernatural and can see it. For humans, think of a catalyst that gave the ability to see beyond the facade and actually perceive the supernatural. Were you attacked by a demon or monster in your history, and that made you aware of the existence of this other world, or was it more mundane, such as discovering fairies in a forest or having a spell cast on you?

MY CHARACTER:
Please note this may change as I meet players, but the core of the character has already been decided.

Name: Trevor Finch
Growing up, Trevor would have been described as "bookish" and "nerdy". He loved getting lost in a good story, and his studies put him near the top of his class. He had never been driven towards one singular goal in life, but kept telling himself that he would figure it out at some point. The turning point came exactly on his 13th birthday. He received a package from his uncle abroad for his birthday gift, within which was contained a small journal and a gnarled dark oak rod with a red gem inset into one end. Trevor mounted the rod and hung it above his bed, and started to read the journal. It described impossible things: dragons destroying mountains, and fox spirits leading men to their doom. Trevor thought it was all a huge jest at first, but then the change began. At first, it frightened him, as he would begin to see blurry blobs in the distance that would then swiftly disappear. He tried getting a better prescription of glasses, but the blobs just started to appear more and more until one night, as he was sleeping in bed, he heard a loud THUNK against his window, and saw what could only be described as a fairy laying unconscious on his window sill. He took the fairy in and, once it had awoken, tried to converse with it. The fairy spoke in broken English, punctuated by what could be described as the tinkling of a bell as the fairy switched back into its natural language.

Over the course of a month, the fairy would return nightly to speak with Trevor, and though he could never reproduce the fairy's language himself, he began to understand some words of it, and he would provide the fairy with shelter from something that the fairy only described as "The Fur Bear". In return, the fairy taught Trevor about the rod he had so casually overlooked, and through a lot of training, the fairy taught him how to cast his first spell using the rod.

The friendship came to an abrupt and unfair end, as one night the fairy appeared to him and the next it was gone, never to return. Trevor would wait up every night, sometimes getting no sleep at all, over the course of the next month, until his hope had completely dwindled. But what had not gone away was his sight. The blobs had become sharper, and now he could see what they were: spirits or other small supernatural creatures that appeared invisible to everyone else, but his contact with the journal and the rod had made him cognizant of their existence.

Fast forward 7 years and Trevor had just graduated. Still boyish in appearance and nature, he was unsure what to do with his life. He had studied medicine and language in university, but was not interested in continuing on to become a doctor or even working as a nurse. It was while riding the bus to a job interview, scrolling through an occult messaging board, that he saw the message that would change his life. It read: "If you can read this, then you have a gift and we need you. Come to the Edris Falls Community Center for more details." Curious, he saved the post and then later tried showing it to a friend. His friend just gave him a blank look "Am I supposed to be reading something? The screen is blank." Trevor's mind was made up. The first chance he got, he purchased a bus ticket to Edris Falls, and packed up what few belongs he could pack into a single suitcase, then threw his rod and his uncle's journal into his messenger bag and left for Edris Falls.

THE WRAP UP:
So if you've made it this far, and you're still interested, let me know either by replying below or sending me a message. Feel free to ask questions in messages or below. As far as what is allowed, follow the rules about 18+ content on this website, but if you think your character would be involved in something sexually intimate, make it tasteful (i.e. "He begins to undo his tie and shirt as we fade to black...") I don't think that romance has be excluded from this, just don't force it. No means no. Violence is somewhat expected, but nothing gratuitous. I do expect that NPCs in the world will die, and I don't think that a werewolf would be so polite as to clean up after himself (unless the NPC/character has the motivation to hide the murder) but if your crime scene description sounds word for word like something from Saw, please tone it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back