• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Wakening: Magic Tournament (Brainstorm Thread)

Cad

That Bobcat
"To win the Wakening, is to prove that one has the power to endure all of the pain that the world deals out."

Such w0rds have never been truer. From far off lands, witches, wizards, sorcerers, conjurers, and numerous others come to enter the tournament. Those who crave the power the cup holds, and those who are just there to prove themselves to their family.

Do you have what it takes to enter the Wakening? Are you ready to prove yourself to the world? Will you pick up you wand or staff to pronounce yourself in this new world of magic and hardship?

----

So, since this is my first Rp since I've returned from vacation, I thought it could be a group collab. Looking for, a lot of stuff actually. Just about everything except for the five types of mages in the rp.

I'll take into consideration anything listed below, and stuffs...Brainstorming thread!...Yeah...

Awesome.

I want to join.

QUESTION!

What type of magic is there? And what are all the types of people (Mage, sorcerer, and conjurer sound the same to me. Are there different types?)

Of course, Turtle. However, thats why this is a brainstorm thread. I need help finishing some parts.

Perhaps you could use classes like Magicians(Illusions), Necromancers(Corpses/Dead/Ghosts), Witches(Potions/Enchantments), Elementals(Elements), Shifters(Transformations), so they all use a different type of magic?

Well, yes. I was going to use similar fields like these, as I wanted to have three actual mages, and two more physical mages. Never thought of the Potions. Transformations were basically both of the physical classes

Oh?

After I posted I got to thinking, you could say Mage, Sorceror, etc... And give each one a separate meaning and magic they focus in, but I dunno.

So, at this point, the classes discussed are more like groups that each character can specialize in.

Illusion mages-which still need a more unique name

Witches/Alchemists-Use potions and scrolls more than regular magic in combat

Druids/Shifters-Transformation wizards

Elementists-which we all know what these are

Conjurers/Necromancers-Summoners, Conjurer summons are more golem like, necromancer summons are more like risen souls and ghouls

And yes, there is a cost. Each class has it's weaknesess, and each class requires a different pool of strength to draw their magic from...

I just haven't named them

I can rename any of the classes to what seems more appropriate for them before I put the rp up this next week.

But you brought up a good point. What kind of resource is magic going to be taken from. Are we going old school with a certain limit on how much magic a character can cast?

Or something else?

Well, it depends. I thought of some of it. Druids can transform, but they need a fetish/catalyst(i.e. wolf pelt, eagle's feather, antlers of a deer) in order to transform, and they have a limited number of transformation per day. Witches/Alchemist can use as many potions and scolls as they want, providing they know how to make the potions and scrolls. Conjurers can create as many constructs they want as well, but with each construct they give a small portion of their life force, binding it to them. So if one construct dies, it doesn't affect the conjurer too much, but if a lot of them dies in succession, it might prove fatal, and the bigger the construct, the more life force is needed. Necromancers though don't need to bind their life force to their summons, but they need to capture souls in order to summon the dead, and only one soul per zombie, the soul also needs to come from a living person, so they need to kill a person and "harvest" his/her soul. I have no idea what's the cost for Illusion mages and Sorcerers.

Holy shit...that's incredible.

Also, Druids are only the animal side of the transformation branch. Shifters are more material transformations, like crystal skin to survive fire balls.

But Illusion mages and Sorcs are rather difficult to hinder, as they both are basically the same thing, just with different specialties. Mind and matter. 

[QUOTE="The Doorman]Oh?
After I posted I got to thinking, you could say Mage, Sorceror, etc... And give each one a separate meaning and magic they focus in, but I dunno.

[/QUOTE]
Sorry man, got carried away.

Aside from the main classes, each character is versed in his/her preference. Elementists can be versed in one specific element or at max two different elements. Druids can have a fighting transformation and a fleeing transformation, or just use one. Necromancers and Conjurers can use whatever summon they find they like more, whether it be a multitude of mushroom guardians or a giant demon zombie. Magus, which I'm naming Illusion mages, can use any type of illusion, on any sense. Be it sight, sound, taste(Not sure how that would help), or touch. Witches and Alchemist's scrolls can be any type of scroll, and the potions can be any type of potions. It all will depend on the character and his/her preferences.

I just want everyone to fit into one of these categories, for simplicity. For reason's like, an elementist is almost beaten but he summons a frickin stone golem and wins that way. Nope, not fair. Class borders, and such.

If you're running this freeform, I think things like power source and per-day limits and whatnot may be overthinking it. The only actual meaningful determination in a fight is going to be your judgment method; things like "need to harvest souls" or "there's a per-day limit" aren't going to really make an impact, and I'd suggest mostly there's not a reason to worry about it.

Instead I'd consider focusing on where mages feel STRESS as a battle goes on, not as some kind of balancing factor but as a roleplaying cue. I put in some advantages/disadvantages but I'd recommend against making any of them decisive; again, just roleplaying cues.

Mages of life and flesh (druids, shifters, et cetera) feel the strain in their bodies. They prioritize physical fitness and endurance to give themselves more power to draw on; while shifted they don't suffer from exhaustion, but they can feel their life force burning away and pay the cost in full at the end of the battle. They seek out exercise, martial arts, and challenging journeys and pilgrimages to harden themselves. Their focus on physical supremacy make them a little more vulnerable to illusionists, who can manipulate their enhanced senses and challenge their advantages indirectly.

Witches and alchemists don't suffer strain and don't have any special weaknesses or strengths. Their versatility allows them to co-opt any style of magic, but their lack of focus limits the advantage they can draw in the face of a master mage. They live and die on their creativity, often studying and learning from as many cultures and magical traditions as they can, making each a unique blend of their favorite influences.

Elementalists feel the strain in the world around them. The world hates elementalists; it hates to be used, sacrificed, enslaved. These mages try to balance mental and physical alacrity, for as time goes on the environment tends to turn against them, footing becoming unstable and thorns quietly turning their way, and keeping their wits about them helps counter that effect. Their focus on control and direct application of force make them somewhat more vulnerable to shifters, who tend to be fast and tough enough to bull through.

Summoners and necromancers feel the strain in their soul. Binding dreams and ghosts to serve their will takes a spiritual toll and scratches away at their psychology, opening them to whispers from dark places and the ever-present threat of possession. They tend to be, if not outright religious, meditative comfort-seekers who often adopt rituals or compulsions as coping methods. Their reliance on monsters and zombies is somewhat countered by the elementalist's ability to unleash powerful forces over areas or against single targets in equal measure.

Illusionists feel the strain in their minds. Everything they do is mental and reliant on both the depth of their imagination and the subtlety with which they can manipulate opponents; the best illusions combine the garish with the inconspicuous to ensure crucial bits of unreality slip through. While not necessarily scholarly, they focus on mental exercises, games of strategy, and constant exposure to and examination of new experiences to fuel them. Their focus on bending perception to their will finds itself somewhat less effective against summoners and necromancers, whose use of multiple perspectives tests their ability to multitask.

I don't mean to be annoying but what about other kinds of mages? Like arcanist or battle mages or dark magic or light magic mages. You don't have to I was just wondering. :D

I was set on having each mage use a source of power, as not to have one character be too overpowered. Because in all honesty, no one reads the rules. So, having a limit set in character page like that would've made stuff a little easier.

But, after reading posts and stuff, it seemed like I wanted the source of power to be more like an MMORPG magic pool, like from World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, or other games.

But, taking this from roleplay point of view, nobody is going to be keeping track of that. So, I will be taking all things into consideration this next Sunday, when the roleplay goes live, and by then I think there will be a lot of holes fixed by then.

The reason there is no light or dark magic, even within the elements, which will be fire, air, water, earth, and nature, is because there isn't really a hero or a villain for the roleplay. Just other characters fighting others characters.

Battle mages are a vague term, as from my understanding, they're just wizards in armor. I don't know what an arcanist is, but if that has anything to do with constructed objects, such as magical weapons, that falls more under witch/alchemists.

I think an Arcanist is someone who explores magic and uses it in different ways...I think.

This all looks interesting. And I wish I had something to add, some idea like everyone else whose posted. But maybe later I will!

Well, arcanist is a wizard that uses raw magic, a battlemage is a wizard that summons weapons and imbues them with a certain sort of enchantment. Light and dark can be used in good ways just as well in bad ways. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back