• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Voices in My Head

TomPen

How it Works: This story will probably be a little different than what you're used to, but still very much a "readers choice" type of thing. Instead of having choices to vote on at the end of each chapter, as you normally would, you will get to write a sentence from the perspective of a voice inside the main characters head. The voice can say anything you wish (within the realm of the RPNATION rules). It can be a demand, a question, or a reflection on something the character sees, hears, or feels. It is completely up to you! The main character may not always be persuaded by the voices, but the things they say will absolutely effect the story. Also, feel free to describe the tone, accent, or general nature of the voice's... well, voice. I just ask that you keep things relatively short. And please, don't hesitate to get creative, I want you to have fun with it!

The Voices in My Head

I was at a point in my life where anything was possible. I had just moved out of my parents house and into my own apartment, in a new town. I was 23 years old, single, and free of any major responsibilities. I didn't have any pets, kids, or ageing parents to worry about. I had only me, and my needs. I would need to get a job and start paying my own rent eventually, but my parents were willing to cover things until I found my way. Spending money was pretty much non-existent, and my apartment was startlingly bare of any conveniences, but I wouldn't go hungry.

So, there I was, standing in the middle of my new apartment, thinking to myself... Where do I start? It was a tough question when, in reality, there was no wrong answer. As I looked around the room, and noticed how cold and dreary it felt, I realized where I should begin. It was obvious. Start at home. Now I don't know if having a furnished home is really that important of thing in life, it kind of feels overly materialistic to say so, but at the time I thought so. But it was a long term goal.

Before I could furnish my home, I would need money, and I could only think of two ways to get it: steal it, or earn it. I had never really been good at stealing, my consciences never allowed for it (the last time I had stolen something - one of my cousin's video games - I ended up turning myself and the game in to my parents while crying shamefully; I was ten at the time, but still)... I should probably just get a job. I didn't have a computer, or internet access (I wasn't kidding when I said my apartment had no conveniences) so I'd have to go out and find one the old school way... in person.

I left my apartment and got into the annoyingly cramped elevator. While I stood awkwardly close to another man from my building, I tried to think of what sort of job I wanted. What would I be good at? Store Clerk, Bag Boy? Or was I thinking to small... Firefighter maybe, astronaut?

End of Chapter One

So, now is the fun part. Write down a sentence you want a voice in his head to say. Put it in quotes and follow it with any descriptions of what the voice sounds like in parenthesis. Also, feel free to give a name to the voice, if you'd like.
Here is an example:

"You should be a cabbie, but only pick up hot babes" - Chaz (A total creep of a voice).​

“23 sounds college educated. Do you have anything you can put on your resume?”-Atx(Pronounced Attics)

"I suggest giving yourself a week to settle in before getting a job. Look around, see what's being actually offered, and take the best job opportunity you find. Accustom yourself to the new town, ask people around for directions and get to know the people, memorize the landmarks around here, know where to buy stuff, and learn the rules of this town. You have the time and the money, use it. Think about getting a job later when you've got your own life sorted out. Also, you should consider buying groceries, food and water, toiletries, cleaning supplies, a pillow and a blanket will do. And lastly, get to know your neighbors, try to find out if you can trust them with your property or if they just want your stuff and just want to use you. Choose your friends carefully or they will eat you alive, its a man-eat-man world out there, pal, but trust me you'll get used to it. You just have to roll with the punches, big guy." -Mac, masculine voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back