Poetry The Unknown Poem & Why I Can't Title It

COTimberWolf1942

The Deputy
In June of 2014, I was young and dumb and driving through the countrysides of Pennsylvania, just staring out of the window. The Grey had come out in 2011 but I hadn't seen it till January of 2014 and for the longest time the beautiful music from this movie stuck with me. I was 16 and very confused on what I wanted with life so I spent so much time with my eyes closed as I listened to this soundtrack on repeat, never getting tired of the calming instrumentals. I was just struck by a bolt of creativity, it jolted me and I started writing the first stanza of this poem. It would take three months before I was completely happy with the final product and stopped tweaking it. This is where I consider my writing really began and for the longest time, I was never able to decide a title for this piece, simply calling it Unknown but as I've grown older... Unknown has stayed the same and I'm happy with it. There is no title to encompass the strength and beauty of this poem. I've included the song I was listening to when I first started writing this, I recommend listening to it while you read and letting your mind go free.

“Unknown Poem”
June 24 2014
Inspired by “Alpha” from “The Grey” Soundtrack

Across this foggy barren land
Where jagged rocks and sharp thorns lay
Through impending fog that blinds my sight
My hands and feet to guide the way
A land of green lays in peace, it's melodic streams call me home
The jays and cardinals sing their songs, like sweet music to my ears
Just through this black fog I walk
To a home untouched and fear unknown

Cut up feet to show my strength
And an unbowed head to show my valor
Unwillingness to yield to this fate I was doomed
I carry on, strong as the jagged rocks I walk upon
Determined eyes casting their gaze farther into the fog

Unwilling to yield to this barren land I cross
Stones tall as titans loom over me
Like roman lords, booing for my death to come
And still I walk as these titans tower over me, holding my head high in the face of adversity
My chin lifted in defiance to this land even when I'm thrown to the ground

Then just like magic... There's green grass beneath my feet
The golden rays of sunlight warm my frozen skin
The relief and calmness fill my skull
My ears taking in the melodies of birds and streams
My sight is crystal clear as I take in the forest before me
Home.

But then... My eyes are cast backwards to that rocky barren land where jagged rocks and sharps thorns lay
Still... I am drawn back, to face the adversity of those titans once more.
And there I am... Battling through the impending fog as I leave green grass and gurgling streams behind
To chase the adventure of adversity through that rocky barren land where jagged rocks and sharp thorns lay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back