• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Underground: Age of Wars

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Everything slowed down as Rai grasped Austere's arm and he broke free. He was fuming in her opinion, temper spiking into a fever. She'd seen it before and it always shook her to the bone. Ice seemingly ran through her veins and nausea rose as Gareth intervened. Austere was still shouting as Vytas dragged her nearly frozen form away.

"We're broken."
She told herself as they entered the servants' passage. "We've passed the limit one can come back from. We're all beyond repair." She heard Vytas speaking, but couldn't bring herself to even acknowledge that he had addressed her in anyway. The shaking in her legs forced her to slowly sink down against the wall and ponder just what had gone wrong. Vytas said it was staged, but how could those words come from nothing? Even empty words have a hint of truth in them. Did she even want to be apart of that?

Her left index finger dragged back and forth over her thumb as she stared at the ground. She knew that Austere had some resentment towards her, likely due to a few too many not-so-harmless pranks, but that Lily was the only one that cared about him? That hurt. It hurt to hear those words, but the roar of anger in her family's voices was that arrow to the chest. It was hurting her, yet she couldn't remove it now for fear of blood loss. Somehow she wished that she'd never returned to see this. Better to have few but happy memories than this swirling pot of distress and hatred. How had she not thought this was possible? Of course things would change. War brings change, no matter how hard one might try to stop it.

"We're broken." She breathed out loud, her only remark to Vytas' question. If he told her, she wouldn't tell their father. Likely she'd avoid the lot of them for a while to avoid the reality and memory of war's effects.
Soviet Panda Soviet Panda Axeykins Axeykins Aridis Aridis

Letting out a small sigh, Vytas sunk to the ground as well, right next to his sister. They had time to spare, they needed to wait until Gareth left for dinner anyway; it wasn't like they could get away with just snatching the papers out of his hands. He rested his head against the wall and pulled Rai into a one-armed hug. "We're not broken..." The brunet sighed. "Maybe a little banged up, sure. But we're not broken.

"Austere didn't mean anything that he said. He was pissed that father wouldn't let him help with the war, so he asked me to help him get a look at some of the reports father had gotten. But then father showed up, and we had to think of a way to get him away from the papers. So...I started the fight. It's my fault. I said some pretty hurtful things too, but I didn't mean any of it. I promise you that Austere was acting too. If he was really serious, that shove would've broken my ribs and he would've set the entire throne room on fire."

The adrenaline that had been rushing through his veins not moments before was beginning to vanish. He felt horrible now. If they had only been a little faster, then their father wouldn't have shown up in time, and they wouldn't have had to stage the fight. And Rai wouldn't have had to witness the fight.

Error404RealityFailed Error404RealityFailed ( Axeykins Axeykins Soviet Panda Soviet Panda )

Gareth stopped at the door as his son spoke, his words like arrows digging into the toughened hide of the old dragon. Let his son call him a coward, he did not. Wait, what did he just say? He blamed him for his wife's death? "How dare you," he hissed back, slowly turning to face his son once more. "How dare you accuse me of letting your mother, my wife, die. How dare you say that I did not try to save her! How dare you think it was as simple as simply snapping my fingers and pointing to my crown that I can make the world right! If it were that simple, would we be in this war!? Well, boy!? Answer me!"

The quick exit of both Vytas and Rai did not go unnoticed by Gareth. And so, with only Austere in the room. Good, now he won't feel as bad, compared to if they were present. Flames licked greedily at his cheeks, scales began to sprout across his skin, his magnificent antlers grew, and his clothes simply vanished. If the boy wanted to spit out fire, let him. It would be nothing but a spark to him. "This is war! People, human and fae alike, will die! You think I can so casually throw away lives? You think I feel nothing when I see the numbers of missing, dead, and injured rise with each passing week as that Order tightens it's noose around us!? Tell me, boy, what do I feel when I see those numbers?"

His draconian voice boomed throughout the throne room, and most likely through the rest of the castle had several nearby servants not hastily erected a barrier to keep their family quarrel behind closed doors. His gaze on his eldest could crush mountains into dust, and his booming voice was that of thunder, rattling the very bones of all those that listened, if not make them go deaf outright.
(( Axeykins Axeykins ))

Good. Vytas and Rai were out of the room. He very much owed Vytas after this debauchery.
Austere took a few steps back. Hunkering down slightly and covering his ears as his father's voice grew painfully loud. "I....I." The young prince stammered. It wasn't his father's appearance that shook him. No, he'd seen that many a times when the more unruly royal dignitaries visited. But having this voice aimed directly at him was something he had never experienced before. As bold of as the facade he wore was it was nothing when put up against this. Even beginning to crumple in on itself. "All of this power. Right now, wh...what's the point of it if you sit around here most days? I've seen what you can do, father. You can't escape that. You COULD do something but haven't yet. You haven't even." He gulped." You haven't even been able to pull the sanctuaries together yet!"

Keeping his ears well covered he turned his head upwards to stare his father in the eyes. His own lone amber eye glowing brightly to try and match the mighty dragon king. Flames breaching his lips slightly as he spoke in retaliation. "You should feel proud for the soldiers that have sacrificed themselves for their lands and shame that you've done little to help!! It is painful but they know what they have signed up for and fought proudly for it. To sit around longer only puts their sacrifices more in vain and breeds more mutiny and rebels! Does it not?!"
Soviet Panda Soviet Panda ( Aridis Aridis Error404RealityFailed Error404RealityFailed )

"You do not know a sliver of what I have done!" Gareth roared, eyes flashing like lightning and voice crashing upon the prince. "You barely know what it means to be a king! You think you know it all, how to rule, how to deftly weave your way through the web of politics that surrounds me! You think my word alone will persuade the other Sanctuaries, then you are still a foolish child! They do not care if we fall! Better us than them! I am lucky Uno has so willingly joined us, but that is because her Sanctuary is under siege as well!"

"I mourn the death of each soldier, a child or parent to a family! You think they see their death as 'a noble sacrifice'!? They do not! They see their loved one lying lifeless in a casket, never to return to them! If they are lucky enough to get to see them once last time at all!"

"If you think having this power is enough for this world to be fixed, then have it! I will let you feel it's weight upon your head and sit idly by telling you the folly of your rule!" With this, Gareth plucks something from atop his head, and all but whipped it at the prince. A golden blur was all that was seen before, caught or not, the crown revealed itself. It was a humble thing, all things considered. A simple woven, golden circlet. It looked like it should weigh nothing, but something weighed it down. It felt like lead in the hand, and it was a wonder how Gareth hadn't become hunched over from wearing the thing almost all the time.
(( Axeykins Axeykins ))

The prince held his stern gaze for as long as he could, but alas. Could not help but cave in. Covering his ears even more tightly and sinking down to his knees as the weight of his father's words crashed down upon him. "She.....she trusts you after years of alliance and close friendship. M..maybe the others require a tad more force and touch of fear?" His voice was weak and pathetic as he tried to retaliate. "The s-sacrifices must be more directly shown to not be in vain. Satisfy the citizens enough now to prevent rebellion so they'll be more prepared to understand them later on. You have enough weight to your words and power to do it."

The last thing he expected was for the crown to be hurled at him. It was not aimed, but managed to hit the prince in the head. It stung immensely. He hadn't had time to prepare for it and had certainly not expected it to be so incredibly heavy. Settling itself around the front curve of his horn it effectively dragged him down. Forcing him into a sort of, bowing position. All for the better as white hot tears of pain and humiliation escaped from his eyes. Leaving red marks down the sides of his face.
Soviet Panda Soviet Panda

He only gave a breathy laugh in response. Atlas was right, he kind of didn't know - rather, didn't understand - the concept of blood loss at this point. It was just that his tendency to want to be super helpful got accentuated with this new career choice. All of a sudden, it was Shion's duty to serve and protect everyone and anyone around him. He had tagged along against Atlas' desires, so it was only natural to want to be of as much use as possible. Hell, if need be, the demon would alter his form and carry both there himself.
Which--

"I could run us there.." said under his breath. He could blend in with the sky if someone looked from below, seeing only a fast moving cloud. However, it was just as risky. Hence why Shion didn't push it or insist.

Carefully, he grabbed his shoulder once again, flinching slightly at the pain that splintered through his upper body. Connor had gotten a lucky shot on him; any closer to the crook of his neck and it would've hit an artery. Even his paranoia worried that something had been laced in the bullet, designed to eliminate fae or whatever have you, or that he was actually slowly bleeding out. Reason was hard to find, but it existed. Shion fell into silence, letting himself trail a step and a half behind the wraith and human.

They were in the middle of something - something he rudely intervened in but didn't regret doing - so he let them speak. His head lowered the smallest bit, an uneven sigh passing his parted lips. The feeling of slow blood trailing down his arm, even trickling uncomfortably down his back, made him a little sick to the stomach. Nothing he couldn't handle of course..

As they walked, the air remained free of any dangerous scent.

Aridis Aridis ( Axeykins Axeykins )

Aridis Aridis (

Last edited:
"Oh? More force and some fear? Oh, what a marvelous idea. Go to a Dwarven stronghold and threaten their council. What a good idea, to get yourself killed." His voice dripped with sarcasm, almost as if it were a venom. "Or perhaps I will try to scare an Arch Demon. I'm sure he won't laugh and show me a horror of his own and tempt my sanity. And what of the citizens that do not agree with their loved one's death being a 'sacrifice'? The word alone is dangerous to use in war. What if they feel that their death was not necessary? That your rule is flawed because you had sent so many to die? They may respect me, but I'm no longer the one wearing the crown. You do it, claim that all the deaths and disappearances were for the greater good. Preach that the only way to win this war is to throw yourself upon the enemies spears. Maybe enough blood and we'd drown them. Here are the reports you seek so much. Go ahead, pour over them, see it all for yourself. Once you have finished playing at being king, I will consider taking on that weight once more."

With that, he turned once more into his more human form. One thing was different, and that was his antlers seemed less impressive. They still were, most certainly, but the didn't seem to have the same luster as a moment before. He then turned around, and stormed out of the throne room. "Fetch me when dinner is served." he hissed at a servant, his anger at his son leaking out to the servant. Who squeaked quietly in confirmation and scurried away to hide from her enraged king.
(( Axeykins Axeykins ))

Austere's head snapped up. The crown painfully slipping farther onto his head. It was far too big to fit properly. In fact, if not for his horns it would have slipped down around his neck. The prince's entire frame seemed to shrink. "b-but Father!! That's...that's not what I meant!....You can't--I-I..can't...." He clenched his fists tightly. No no no, this is NOT what he had planned on happening or wished to happen in the slightest. A pit opened up in the bottom of his stomach. Making him sick and feel as though he was sinking.

He didn't even want to glance towards the reports tossed his way. Tempted as he may still be there were far more pressing matters at hand. "I can't do this, they'll never listen to me. None of them....you know they won't. This thing is useless on me. They'll all still come to you and only you." He pleaded. The ever so tough and edgy prince pleading after so many years of resistance, it was quite a sight. A pitiful one truly. So much so that it sent murmurs through the servants and guards still in the room.

The young prince waited a good while before sitting up again. His face red and burned where tears had streamed down. His good eye was terribly bloodshot while the other was shut tightly from the stinging. All that remained in the room was a couple of servants of whom he quickly waved away. He didn't want their help, he didn't want anyone's help right now. All he wanted was to be alone.
Soviet Panda Soviet Panda Aridis Aridis
( Hoki Hoki Error404RealityFailed Error404RealityFailed )

Rai shook her head slightly as she continued to scratch her fingers. The aggression in the air was far too real for her, far too close. She didn't want to hear what he was saying now. "We are broken. Aren't we all? We all simply taking different steps towards being shattered... Our bodies can break, why won't they believe our minds can too! We're broken! That's what we are! It's all just a matter of time till we disintegrate!" Her voice didn't break a shout, nor did it quiver. She was sure of her words and their truth.

There was a faint ringing in her right ear that she ignored as best she could as she rose from the ground. Her gaze was placid and bare before she turned away from Vytas and strode back towards the throne room with her head held high. "Just another crack closer to the end." The right side of her mind whispered and Rai gave a slight nod of approval to it. Her balance was slightly off, but that was the only hint that she had seen upset.

"How many cracks do you think you have?" Rai pondered before she reached Austere. There was a slight halt in her movement before she continued on with a nod. The odd sight perplexed the servants leaving the scene, but it was nothing compared to their eldest prince's state. "We can't fix them. Bones that heal are never quite the same either."

The scratching she'd been doing to herself paused as she finally grew aware of the scene around her. Austere was on the ground in a pitiful state, papers and the crown around him. She made a very small clicking noise with her tongue to herself and frowned at him. "We're all broken." Rai confirmed to herself softly as she turned towards the hallway. She was pausing in movement and speech as she continued down the hall towards... She wasn't sure where she was going. She simply went.
Axeykins Axeykins Soviet Panda Soviet Panda Aridis Aridis

"He is and more! Gareth is a magnificent man, er...dragon. I hope you do get to see him! Fairly certain with the current situation he'll call for a meeting with my master soon to ask for aid of some sorts. Or rather. My master will appear before the king to speak with him and strike a deal." He chuckled. Leaning into his love more. "I haven't really met the princes. Sensed them running about the palace or lurking about but that's about it. Occasionally they've sat in on a few meetings with their father but were far too shy to do much other than hide behind him." He shrugged. "There is a princess I've met but that was mere babysitting duty on one occasion and quite a few years ago."
Black Forest MLady Black Forest MLady

"Rai, RAI!" Vytas shouted his sister's name as he rushed after her. His blood got colder and colder with every step that he took. By the time he reached the scene with Austere, it felt like there was frozen fire in his veins. He only stopped a moment to glance at his brother. The teenager didn't even fully process what he was seeing, only that the elder had the papers that he so desperately wanted to look at. Which, in his own frantic eyes, meant that his job was done. "Dammit! Austere, we took it too far!" Leaving his explanation at that, Vytas continued to frantically follow out of the youngest of the three.

Eventually, he managed to catch up. His heart was pounding, and a queasy feeling started building in his stomach. He reached forward in order to grab into Rai's arm. "Rairai, please, listen to me for a second! I told you, We're not broken! Why are you so convinced that we are? What did I do to make you think that?"

Not we, he specifically said I. Vytas was the one closest to Raj. It was him who started the fake fight, and forced it to escalate to the point that it did. He had been the one to die not too long ago. If it was anyone's fault, it was his.

Error404RealityFailed Error404RealityFailed
Axeykins Axeykins

Though she hadn't originally planned to stop by the throne room before dinner, it was difficult to ignore the yelling and the aggravated energy coming from it. Now dressed in an extravagant, dark blue gown fit for someone of her social standing, Lillianna cautiously made her way toward the source of the trouble. She had missed the fight, both the staged and the real, and only got a glimpse of the two younger siblings as they disappeared who knows where. But, the Enchantress did arrive in time to see her fiancee crumpled on the ground in a very uncharacteristic way. Even when he was much quieter and more timid, she had never seen him look so defeated after an obvious argument.

Drawing in a deep breath, the raven haired woman approached Austere slowly. She didn't say a word to him. Instead, Lillianna stopped by his side, and sat beside him on the ground. She carefully took the heavy crown from his head--or rather, horns-- and placed it on her lap.

Axeykins Axeykins

Rai jerked her arm back from Vytas' hands and glared at him with something more intense than usually seen from her. "I didn't say there was anything wrong with being broken. We can't fix it, and that is fine." She hissed at him and stood her ground.

"Tell him Rai. He doesn't understand yet, you need to show him." Rai nodded slightly in approval of this thought. She reached up to the collar of her shirt and pulled it down in one quick motion. Not too far, but enough to see the little black and red lines coming away from a circular wound that had healed slightly. She yanked it back up and gave Vytas a stern look.

"I'm going to my room now. We still have dinner with that bride of his." Rai smiled at the floor for a minute like she was confused before turning to embrace Vytas tightly. "I love you Vy."
Aridis Aridis Axeykins Axeykins

"He is and more! Gareth is a magnificent man, er...dragon. I hope you do get to see him! Fairly certain with the current situation he'll call for a meeting with my master soon to ask for aid of some sorts. Or rather. My master will appear before the king to speak with him and strike a deal." He chuckled. Leaning into his love more. "I haven't really met the princes. Sensed them running about the palace or lurking about but that's about it. Occasionally they've sat in on a few meetings with their father but were far too shy to do much other than hide behind him." He shrugged. "There is a princess I've met but that was mere babysitting duty on one occasion and quite a few years ago."

Alexis listened with interest,"Amazing, my goal is to meet the king and his children. You think I can come with you and your boss the next time you go pay them a visit?" She asked Marius. Axeykins Axeykins

"I don't see why not! It would be silly to have to leave my beautiful now soon to be wife out of such an experience." He lifted her hand up briefly to give it a gentle kiss. "Now. Enough of that! We've wandered ourselves to the marketplace have we not? Least that is what it sounds like to me. Take me to whatever stall you like! Look around as much as you like and pick up whatever you like."

Austere sat up straighter once the weight was gone from his head. Wiping the remnants of tears from his cheeks. His back and neck aching from sporting the crown for even a moment. "You shouldn't be in here Lily....not when dinner is to begin soon. You should be off....looking pretty as always, socializing with whomever else has decided to join us this evening or whatever else it is that you need to do." He spoke in a surprisingly soft manner. As angry and frustrated and broken as he felt right now. After the sting of his father and little sister's words and actions. He couldn't bear to unleash that all on her. Not when she was doing nothing but showing concern and support for him. Being there when he didn't want anyone to be yet truly needed them. "I will join you all soon enough after some things are taken care of..."
Aridis Aridis

"I hope in the grander scheme of things you have a plan Gareth dearest." Una spoke softly to him as the mighty king passed. "That boy of yours is not fit to rule, not now and if things keep going the way they are he will never. Even with a crown planted upon his head the people will see it. Those we wish to become allies will see it even more-so." A light laugh escaped her lips. "Of course, we both know they will all still turn to you in any case at this time anyways. Isn't that correct? They will always go to the true king, not some Jester prancing about foolishly in his crown."

"This is a lesson the boy must learn." Gareth growled, not pausing or missing a step. "And he will learn it, one way or another. Let him squirm under their gaze as that crown sits upon his head like a carrion bird. They will know I still rule, but they will try to get him to do as they please. He thinks being a king is simple, he will learn that it is not. And he will learn that you cannot save everyone."
(( Axeykins Axeykins ))

"I don't see why not! It would be silly to have to leave my beautiful now soon to be wife out of such an experience." He lifted her hand up briefly to give it a gentle kiss. "Now. Enough of that! We've wandered ourselves to the marketplace have we not? Least that is what it sounds like to me. Take me to whatever stall you like! Look around as much as you like and pick up whatever you like."

Alexis smiled, blushing softly as Marius took her hand and gave it a gentle kiss. "Indeed, it seems I have led up into a market area." She reassures his guess as she looked around at the hustle and bustle. She saw one stall with some books in it, she pulled Marius along gently. "We're at a book stand, anything you'd like to read?" she asked. Axeykins Axeykins

"Indeed. It's about time something is done about that boy. It must be done so a childish tyrant masquerading as a hero is not born." Her tone quickly turned cold as ice. She was all too aware of this little prince's behavior in recent years and like many other sanctuary leaders was none too pleased about it. "I shall show no leniency when discussing diplomatic matters with him. He shall undergo questioning like you first endured from me and my fairies." A shockingly dark chuckle manifested from the fairy Queen. Setting off a great feeling of unease amongst the palace staff near them as such a tone had never been heard from the usually poised and kindly woman.

"I would like to read many things my dear but I'm afraid that is impossible." He waved his hand in front of his face to remind her of his always distant stare that saw nothing. "But why don't you pick some out to read to me? I love nothing more than falling asleep listening to your voice as you read wondrous tales."

Caius & Liana/Noëlle
"Quite the development," Liana said, sitting in the corner as though she'd been there the whole time. "It would seem that, for the time being, you are the king now," she said as she stood up and began walking toward Austere.

"Normally I would be requesting orders at this point in time seeing as I've no other task while my soldiers are training, but I think I don't need one."

Drawing her blade, Liana swiftly stepped past Austere and swung, her sword flying right past his head and colliding with another blade coming from behind the newly-made king.

"How daring of you, brother... Trying to behead royalty with me standing right in front of you..."

"Shut up, Noëlle. I told you this once and I'll tell you again; I will kill you."

Taking a few steps back, Caius pulled out one of his guns, aiming it at the back of Austere's head. "Now, Noëlle... Show me that disgusting nature belonging to demon filth such as yourself."

". . ."

"If you're not gonna show your true nature now of all times, then I guess I'll just take the easy end you're giving me," Caius said as he pulled the trigger, bullet flying at Austere.

Axeykins Axeykins Aridis Aridis (And anyone who'd hear the handgun)

"I would like to read many things my dear but I'm afraid that is impossible." He waved his hand in front of his face to remind her of his always distant stare that saw nothing. "But why don't you pick some out to read to me? I love nothing more than falling asleep listening to your voice as you read wondrous tales."

Alexis winced, she kept om forgetting that Marius could not see. She felt horrible now,"Oh beloved, it's easy to forget that your blind. I'm sorry." she apologized, getting on her tippy toes and giving him a peck on the lips. "Now that's a good idea, what's your favorite genre?" she asked Marius as her eyes scanned the book stands. Axeykins Axeykins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back