Experiences The Things You Do That Other RPers Find Odd!

AnnJam

👁👄👁 *heavy breathing* 👁👄👁
Tell me about some of the things you do as an RPer that other RPers find odd. Things that you enjoy to do, that you will continue to do, that you think are just fun to do even if other RPers think it's a bit odd because it's not commonly seen.

I'll go first I like writing in third person present tense I think it makes for stronger replies.

Please don't use this thread to complain there are plenty of other threads to bitch about things!

Last edited:
Writing one liners on accident while trying to attempt to make a sentance

I reply to the most recent and direct things to happen to my characters and skip over the rest.

I...

-Don't like using faceclaims. Recently most of my roleplay partners have been pretty ok with it, but when I was starting out several RP partners of mine really didn't like the fact that I didn't use faceclaims. The thing is, I don't like faceclaims, I don't want to go spend a long while looking for an image that probably won't look like I want it to, I prefer to just describe my character and let me RP partner make a mental image in their head, and I prefer if they do the same thing for me.

-Don't like coding. Not only do I not code myself, but I don't like when my RP partners use a lot of code because it just makes it much harder for me to read their posts. Once I had an RP partner that had a code that purposefully made their font so small, and used colors that made it hard for me to read. I asked them to please not code their replies so I could read them better, and the person just made a bit fuss about how she wouldn't RP without coding. It was a headache, to say the least. And I've encountered RPs where the other person won't accept my character sheet unless it's coded exactly the way they want.

-Don't like swear words. Several RP partners seemed to have a lot of trouble understanding that I don't like swear words, and just wanted them to not use them with me. Some even downright refused to RP without them.

-Only do MxF pairings. When it comes to romance, I only feel comfortable doing MxF pairings. So when someone came to me wanting me to play a FxF pairing, or something like that, I tell that I don't do those pairings, and well, they made a fuss of it. I once encountered someone who had a nice plot in mind, and said that while they preferred FxF, they were open to trying MxF. We start planning the RP in PMs, and she ends up making a fuss about the fact that she couldn't visualize her character in anything other than an FxF pairing. What I wonder is, if she didn't want her character in anything but an FxF pairing, why did she agree to try an MxF pairing in the first place?

-Write only in third person perspective. Some RP partners of mine only do first person perspective, and I just feel so weird writing in first person perspective, it doesn't work for me at all. And I just feel so weird when the other RPer refers to my character as "you". This has killed some RPs as well, but I just can't RP in first person, I'm a third-person perspective exclusive.

-Strongly dislike dark themes. I'm a fairly light-hearted RPer who prefers to keep things cheerful and happy for the most part. And while I do allow quite a bit of drama and a bit of angst here and there, some RPers I've met want nothing but to RP the darkest ideas they can come up with, watch their characters cry and suffer, they want to see the dark side of life, and while I respect their tastes, I have a strong dislike for mainly dark and grim RPs. This has killed some RPs where my roleplay partner would not be satisfied without a load of dark issues in the roleplay.

Those are just the ones I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more.

Taking a few months breaks between replies.
Always a breath of fresh air. It doesn't happen often and I only ever do it to close partners who understand, but damn do I love a nice break. Sometimes you need it the burnout is real!

Not that odd that is the standard. Now first person is the odd side! But the real question is what tense do you write your third person in?
Honestly, that depends on my roleplay partner. If they use present, I use present. If they use past, I use past. For me it's the same either way. As long as I use third person perspective, I'm ok with either way.

I don't do character sheets in 1x1 RP's. I'm the type of person who really needs to get a feel for my characters before having their personality and other traits set in stone. Making sheets before a RP starts seems very final.

I don't do character sheets in 1x1 RP's. I'm the type of person who really needs to get a feel for my characters before having their personality and other traits set in stone. Making sheets before a RP starts seems very final.

Ooo me too. I just ask for the basics [name, age, gender, sexuality].

-Strongly dislike dark themes. I'm a fairly light-hearted RPer who prefers to keep things cheerful and happy for the most part. And while I do allow quite a bit of drama and a bit of angst here and there, some RPers I've met want nothing but to RP the darkest ideas they can come up with, watch their characters cry and suffer, they want to see the dark side of life, and while I respect their tastes, I have a strong dislike for mainly dark and grim RPs. This has killed some RPs where my roleplay partner would not be satisfied without a load of dark issues in the roleplay.

We're definitely polar opposites here. I love the dark and gritty RP's. I enjoy making characters suffer, whether it's physically, mentally, or emotionally. Sure, not everyone may see it this way but I feel that it's opportunity to growth and development.

Also, I don't mind profanity in my RP's. I have played characters who swear like sailors since it fit their personality.

Ooo me too. I just ask for the basics [name, age, gender, sexuality].

That's about all I expect too, but for whatever reason some people want super detailed sheets for 1x1's. I can understand wanting that in a group RP, but less so in a 1x1.

We're definitely polar opposites here. I love the dark and gritty RP's. I enjoy making characters suffer, whether it's physically, mentally, or emotionally. Sure, not everyone may see it this way but I feel that it's opportunity to growth and development.

Also, I don't mind profanity in my RP's. I have played characters who swear like sailors since it fit their personality.
I've met a lot of people who are polar opposite to me in this respect. It seems like an inclination towards dark, gritty and angsty RPs seems to be the trend more often than not. It's actually quite rare when I find someone who actually prefers just lighthearted fun instead of dark stuff. Mind you, I do like to let my characters have troubles and hardships, sometimes depending on the story I'll let some even have tragic backstories of some sort, but I think what I mean is that I prefer to not let dark themes take over the roleplay. If I have dark themes in my roleplay, they won't be very dark, and won't take up much space in the roleplay.

I've met quite a few roleplayers who mention that they swear a lot both as a person themselves and through their characters. I personally feel really uncomfortable with swear words, so depending on how big the issue is, it can even be a point at which a potential roleplay can be cancelled. Same goes for anything explicitly sexual. While in this site we have the rule that anything of that type of content fades to black before getting into the truly inappropiate stuff, usually I don't like to even imply any of that happened, and I never reach a point where we have to fade to black because I get uncomfortable way before fading to black would be required. Despite being 20, I actually prefer PG rated content for the most part, sometimes I'll dip into 13+ content if it doesn't go too far, but generally all my roleplays stay in the PG rated area.

That's about all I expect too, but for whatever reason some people want super detailed sheets for 1x1's. I can understand wanting that in a group RP, but less so in a 1x1.

I feel like this is because of the subculture of RPers who make OCs they reuse for every roleplay. So they have this character built and waiting. While anyone outside of the subculture does not have a OC just ready to go!

I've met a lot of people who are polar opposite to me in this respect. It seems like an inclination towards dark, gritty and angsty RPs seems to be the trend more often than not. It's actually quite rare when I find someone who actually prefers just lighthearted fun instead of dark stuff. Mind you, I do like to let my characters have troubles and hardships, sometimes depending on the story I'll let some even have tragic backstories of some sort, but I think what I mean is that I prefer to not let dark themes take over the roleplay. If I have dark themes in my roleplay, they won't be very dark, and won't take up much space in the roleplay.

I've met quite a few roleplayers who mention that they swear a lot both as a person themselves and through their characters. I personally feel really uncomfortable with swear words, so depending on how big the issue is, it can even be a point at which a potential roleplay can be cancelled. Same goes for anything explicitly sexual. While in this site we have the rule that anything of that type of content fades to black before getting into the truly inappropiate stuff, usually I don't like to even imply any of that happened, and I never reach a point where we have to fade to black because I get uncomfortable way before fading to black would be required. Despite being 20, I actually prefer PG rated content for the most part, sometimes I'll dip into 13+ content if it doesn't go too far, but generally all my roleplays stay in the PG rated area.

Mind you, I'm not against light-hearted fluffy moments in my RP's, but I definitely don't like it to be the majority of the story. Maybe I'm just too traumatized and cynical not to see the dark side of reality, idk. Haha.

We can at least agree on sexual content, though. I'm okay with fade to black, but anything more than that I'm usually uncomfortable with. Fortunately explicit sexual content is against the ToS here, though. I've been on sites where pretty much any content is allowed. One of the partners I had always wanted to do gay smut and I got really turned off both MxM pairings and explicit sexual content because of that.

I feel like this is because of the subculture of RPers who make OCs they reuse for every roleplay. So they have this character built and waiting. While anyone outside of the subculture does not have a OC just ready to go!
That does make sense. I do have a group of OCs I reuse often for roleplays, though I do make new ones when I don't think any of my pre-made characters would fit. I've met people who require detailed character sheets as well. At least in this point I'm very flexible. I can do anything from just naming the basics "name, age, gender, appearance", all the way to detailed and developed character sheets. Even when it's a new character I'm making for the roleplay, I find myself enjoying the creation of detailed character sheets whenever I'm asked to create one. I guess I just love making characters.

I make new characters literally every time I RP. Even if it's the same type of RP I did before I'll make a new character.

Mind you, I'm not against light-hearted fluffy moments in my RP's, but I definitely don't like it to be the majority of the story. Maybe I'm just too traumatized and cynical not to see the dark side of reality, idk. Haha.

We can at least agree on sexual content, though. I'm okay with fade to black, but anything more than that I'm usually uncomfortable with. Fortunately explicit sexual content is against the ToS here, though. I've been on sites where pretty much any content is allowed. One of the partners I had always wanted to do gay smut and I got really turned off both MxM pairings and explicit sexual content because of that.
We do agree there, though on opposite sides of the spectrum! I'm not 100% against angst and dark moments in my RPs, I just don't want them to take up most of the story. I have a very optimistic view on life, and while I know the problems are there, I don't like to make them the main focus of anything I make. I tend to steer away from anything that's overly negative and just gives off a feel of "everything is suffering and pain". One time only did I do a dystopian setting, and even there I didn't do it in the light of "there's no hope, everything is ruined", but rather with a tone of "Things are bad, but we can change things and save the world. If we work together, we can make a difference." It's just kind of the way my mind functions. Negativity and dark themes drain me pretty quickly, and when things get too dark I even feel uncomfortable and don't want to write.

We do agree there, though on opposite sides of the spectrum! I'm not 100% against angst and dark moments in my RPs, I just don't want them to take up most of the story. I have a very optimistic view on life, and while I know the problems are there, I don't like to make them the main focus of anything I make. I tend to steer away from anything that's overly negative and just gives off a feel of "everything is suffering and pain". One time only did I do a dystopian setting, and even there I didn't do it in the light of "there's no hope, everything is ruined", but rather with a tone of "Things are bad, but we can change things and save the world. If we work together, we can make a difference." It's just kind of the way my mind functions. Negativity and dark themes drains me pretty quickly, and when things get too dark I even feel uncomfortable and don't want to write.

I love dystopian RP's and I will absolutely make them dark and gritty. Like, I'm talking genocides, political repression, etc. dark and gritty. Often times I will kill off important characters too for plot development in such stories.

And hey, you do you! You know what you like in your stories so all the more power to you! A lot of people get pressured into writing things they're not wholly comfortable with.

Oh, I thought of another thing I do that other RPers find odd, thought not necessarily dislike. I have a tendency to make a lot of characters. No, not just two or three, I love making a huge cast with all kinds of characters involved. You know how some people like doubling and tripling? Well, I once did six pairings in a single RP because my partner agreed to it. And even when I only get to play one or two main characters, I'll usually have several times as many characters than my RP partners.

In one long-term RP I had, my roleplay partner played 4 characters: two main and two side characters. Me? I had at least 15-20, and was still planning on adding more! I just love making characters and seeing them all interact with one another, reacting in different ways with their different personalities. I normally keep my character count lower because my RP partner can't keep track of too many characters, but when they give me free reign to take as many as I want, you can bet I populate the city or town the RP takes place in with a large amount of side characters, with every personality and character trait I can bring myself to RP. I love having so many characters, and they're all three dimensional and complex, not just a carbon-copy of each other.

Oh, I thought of another thing I do that other RPers find odd, thought not necessarily dislike. I have a tendency to make a lot of characters. No, not just two or three, I love making a huge cast with all kinds of characters involved. You know how some people like doubling and tripling? Well, I once did six pairings in a single RP because my partner agreed to it. And even when I only get to play one or two main characters, I'll usually have several times as many characters than my RP partners.

In one long-term RP I had, my roleplay partner played 4 characters: two main and two side characters. Me? I had at least 15-20, and was still planning on adding more! I just love making characters and seeing them all interact with one another, reacting in different ways with their different personalities. I normally keep my character count lower because my RP partner can't keep track of too many characters, but when they give me free reign to take as many as I want, you can bet I populate the city or town the RP takes place in with a large amount of side characters, with every personality and character trait I can bring myself to RP. I love having so many characters, and they're all three dimensional and complex, not just a carbon-copy of each other.

I do this sort of thing too. I will often have a couple main characters and then countless recurring NPC's, plus many more minor NPC's who may only appear in a scene or two. To me, RP is collaborative storytelling and most stories have more than two characters.

I have a tendency to make a lot of characters.

Me too. 2-3 mains, 5-8 supports, any number of tertiary characters. Like you my last longterm RP I did I had 27 character: 3 main, 11 support, 14 tertiary (11 were shared NPCs).

But I will agree it isn't as common. I think its that intersection people who grew up with the concept of multiple characters, compared to the concept of doubling in RP!

I literally do not care if you take a few days to post, and you don’t need to beg for my forgiveness for being away from the rp. I might get disappointed/concerned if I don’t hear from you for a month, but I can accept when I’ve been dropped and just move on.

As for myself, I tend to shape my character's personality on the fly. If the RP's character sheet needs a character's personality stated, I'd rather make it not too detailed in the CS and develop it as the RP goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back