• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Theory of Madness

OOC
Here

Wendigo_

The Dictionary Example of Insomnia
For those of you who are just jumping into this story:
In the fall of 1949, the Second World War had been raging for a full decade.
The Allied and Axis forces each had their respective gains and losses, but ultimately had reached stalemate. An early defeat at Dunkirk in the spring of 1940 resulted in a significant blow to the British forces by Nazi Germany, essentially eliminating their offensive capabilities. A few short years later, a subsequent invasion resulted in their surrender in 1942. However, there was still hope for the Allied cause. Before the fall of the British, the Japanese Empire provoked the United States at Pearl Harbor, resulting in a swift offensive that quickly eliminated the Japanese threat. Due to the United States’ alliance with the Soviet Union and the transition of Italy from an Axis power to an Allied one, the Allied cause showed much promise in this instance. However, with the fall of Britain and a crippling Soviet defeat at Stalingrad that left the USSR severely weakened, the scales of power had once again balanced. By 1945, a stalemate had clearly been reached, as Allied forces could no longer maintain a western offensive on Germany from the Soviet Union, resulting predominantly in a naval war in the Atlantic between the Americans and Germans. Italian offensives were common, but were easily fended off.
The majority of each nation’s military aged personnel had become casualties of war by ‘47, and their governments needed to find a way to keep their armies properly manned. In the U.S., bills were quickly passed that required the enlistment of every able-bodied person at or above the age of 16, including university students who had previously been excluded from the draft. Germany began putting children as young as fourteen years of age into combat.
Public support for the war began to dwindle in the United States as people’s children were now being sent to their deaths. As a result, the military’s top brass needed to devise a plan that would turn the war back in their favor. Their answer to this challenge was Operation Endurance, a long term, three phase mission that would consist of a small squad being air dropped in rural Germany disguised as civilians. Phase one would consist of the initial drop and a period of time in which the team would eliminate strategically important infrastructure and individuals to weaken the German government and military high command and productivity. The second phase consists of westward movement towards to Atlantic in which the team will weaken coastal defenses to prepare for an invasion, as well as training indigenous resistance groups in former Allied nations which had fallen to the Nazis. The third phase will be assisting the final invasion as a traditional combat unit. Due to the nature of the first two phases, only a select few individuals who speak multiple languages and have the necessary skills could be chosen.

1. No godmodding
2. There will be an overarching plot, but I encourage players to make choices that will affect how the group goes about and certain outcomes (If it will result in a major alteration or is a very serious action, please consult me first)
3. If possible, post at least every 48 hours to keep things rolling, if you can't then just let us know in the OOC thread
4. Obey all universal site rule

Operation Endurance was only hours away from the beginning of its execution. At midnight on a cool October night, a hidden air base in a liberated section of Britain buzzed with suppressed action. A large collection of small, sleek planes had assembled on the tarmac and were being fueled and started in a hurry. Groups of three operators boarded each plane, each one outfitted with a parachute and a smaller jump-bag holding other necessities. These men and women were the Allies's best, drawn from various forces and tasked with turning the tides of the war. Among the commotion a thin officer silently led two others onto a plane, each of them sliding into their seats and preparing for ordeal yet to come.
Major Marcin Renat silently bounced his foot against the floor as he went over the mission details for the next twenty four hours in his head. This wasn't the first odd mission he'd overseen, but it was definitely the most critical one yet. After all, the momentum of the war would be determined by the outcome of this prolonged operation. As the soldiers strapped in for take-off, the young officer decided it would only be detrimental to let his nerves build up before dropping behind enemy lines, so he resorted to taking in his surroundings. Among the poorly lit cabin he could scarcely make out the rising value of the altimeter on his wrist or the slow ticking of his watch, but amidst the faint red light he could make out the stitched name tag on the jumpsuit of one of his fellow passengers: Kochenkov. Marcin figured this was as good a time as any to get some semblance of comradery going between this group, and spoke up to the woman.
"I don't believe we've had a formal introduction aside from possibly seeing each other's files, Miss Kochenkov. I'm Major Renat, your CO for this extended vacation we're going on, and you can thank me later for the first class seats I got us" he said in a comedic manner.​

To say Ana was nervous wasn't the half of it. Sure she was trained fo jump out of a plane into enemy territory, but that didn't mean she was prepared to do it now. Her PPS sat across her lap currently, her right hand tapping the surpressor with no obvious rhythm to it. She looked up when her name was called out by the major, pushing a strand of hair that fell from infront of her face. "Vacation isn't ze half of it, Major!" She replied with a grin. "Call me Ana. Az you read we vill be dropping into Axis Territory, and go from zere. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I vill be your doctor and your translator for zis op, so be nice to me." She joked, still holding her light grin. "I assume you know where ve vill be dropping?"

Ana's friendliness in what would normally be a rather tense environment proved to but Marcin at some degree of ease. His traditionally sharp eyes softened a bit at the crack of a joke, which were far and few between these days, and a slight smile worked its way across his lips. "I'll be sure to stay in your good graces then, Ana. If I catch a cold, who else will I rely on?" he said jokingly, flashing a slight smirk. "And yes, we won the lottery in terms of our location for this operation. Only three other groups will be positioned in the same sector as us since the brass want to limit operational risks, so we're going to have our work cut out for us." Marcin reached into his jump bag and pulled out his personal map, which was ample with his own markings, and tossed it to Ana. Only one marking was done in red ink, designating the drop zone: the outskirts of Berlin. "After all," he said apprehensively, "we're essentially knocking on the Führer's doorstep."

Rory kept fixing her hair, making sure that the strands stayed in place within the low bun. She was acting as if she was about to go take a picture with her family, knowing that if one strand of hair was out of place, mom would get mad. But this was more serious than a simple family picture so it shouldn't be compared to it as if they were equal. So she began tapping her foot on the metal floor creating a constant noise which was honestly beginning to bother her. So she stops. Her halt coincides with the beginning of the her teammates' conversation. Her brown eyes trail over to her apparent leader's frame and then she glanced over to the woman with the heavy accent. It reminded her of her father and she smiled a little bit before whipping her head away. Rory continues to listen in on their conversation and slightly chuckles at her commander's joke. Regarding their situation, it probably was alright to let out a few laughs because she didn't know when she'd be laughing again. She opens her mouth to say something, but hesitates.

After passing Ana the map, he figured it'd be best to give her a moment to look over all the details he had noted about the initial drop. He turned his attention to the other woman on the plane who had been listening in on their conversation, whom he had figured was experiencing the same anxieties Ana and himself were. Marcin shifted his Kar98 K so that it sat across his lap. "Going back to the topic of files, if I recall correctly, you're the American in this group. At least the only one born there, I'm still trying to get my citizenship ever since fleeing Poland" he said in a matter-of-fact tone. "I believe you already overheard my introduction, so how about yours?"

Rory's hand again makes its way up to her hair and she quickly retreats it back to her lap, hoping that it wasn't to obvious. Yeah, I'm American. But I have — or had a dual citizenship with Germany. She looks into his blue eyes and a soft smile sets on her face. It reminded her of home. I haven't been there since I was little though. Rory whispered this, but she wouldn't be surprised if anyone else heard her. She brings her head down ashamed that he saw her at a fragile state and begins to trace the horizontal patterns on the floor. Oh I'm Master Sergeant Matthison. But call me Rory. She looks back up at the major and nods. I'm not really one for ranks and I'll be stuck with y'all for God knows how long so might as well know my name. She chuckles, biting her lip and tucking a fallen strand behind her ear.

Lawrence was hunched over where he was seated, knees nearly touching his chest. He squinted in the darkness, his frantic hands leaving the bag before him to only push his wireframes back up his nose. The creme-coloured duffle bag at his feet was stuffed with any and all medical equipment the team would need for this endeavour - coincidentally leaving him as the pack mule for this trip. The only way he could keep himself from spiraling into an anxious breakdown was to count and then re-count the supplies in the bag. 10 meters of gauze, sutures, 4 scissors, enough needles, 5 tourniquets, and all that jazz.
He heaved a sigh, feeling like he had been holding his breath for way too long. He pushed his slipping glasses back up again, and solemnly gazed at the red cross framed by a white square plastered on the side of the bag. You signed up for this, Pierce. Prove them all proud.

"Nice to meet you, Rory" he said genuinely, then added "I wouldn't worry about ranks, once we're down on the ground none of us will likely have time to consider positions of authority. I may occasionally refer to you as Sergeant, but that's about the extent of the issue of rankings for now. As for not having been in Germany since your childhood, I suppose this is a homecoming for you of sorts." As Marcin finished his sentence, the jump light switched from red to yellow, indicating that the crew had the next five minutes to make sure their parachutes were ready and their equipment was secured.
Upon noticing the change in the jump light, Marcin stood up and moved towards the back of the plane. As he walked, he passed the hunched over man and quickly noticed his nervous state. He stopped for a moment, and extended his hand out to him. "I believe I remember your name from my files, it was Lawrence, correct? Your skills will be highly valuable for this operation, and between you and Ana it's unlikely any of us will be far from help" he said confidently, and hopefully some of that confidence would reach him.

The people I used to work with didn't necessarily treat me like I was human, they didn't even know my name. Rory says and then a scoff escapes her lips when she hears his remarks regarding her homecoming. Far from it. I may miss it, but I know exactly how people of my color are being treated in Germany. Her voice begins to descend as she continues to follow the Major's movements in front of her. She detached her seatbelt and stood up, taking deep breaths. She's done this many times in training, she can do this.

Rory kept readjusting the straps to her parachute and then looked over to the man that kept rummaging through his bag. She heard Renat call him Lawrence and she remembered slight information about him. And so far, she seemed to be the youngest one there. Rory began flipping a dagger in her hand, she had to keep her hands busy before they jumped. I believe you are completely prepared for this trip, probably more than me. She says to the frantic medic. I believe we can jump out of a plane. And my father said I had accurate insight.

"Von't be ze first time, von't be ze last." Was all she said as she Rose from her seat, PPS hanging at her hip as she got ready. Prior to this she had been silent, studying the map. "Berlin vasn't too bad before ze war. Besides ze inflation and such." She stated as she got in line behind the others.

"Lawrence - Lawrence Pierce, that's correct," he said. He flashed the Major a crooked smile, and added: "thank you so much, by the way. I certainly appreciate that, sir." He directed the smile towards Rory with the same amount of gratitude. "You guys are probably the real secret spies doing the dirty work here -- I'm just tagging along to make sure you all don't die in the process." He instinctually shot a thumbs up to the girl, smile wavering slightly when his eyes spotted the dagger she was somehow mindlessly fiddling with. Yup. These people are a lot more experienced than my ass.
He zipped the duffle bag back up, and looked at Marcin over his wireframes. "Alas, I'm proud to be serving on this trip. It's an honour."

Well you save our lives. I think that's even better than what I do . At seeing that her knife is making him uneasy, she abruptly stops and stashes it in her boot. So, who's going first? I personally nominate our lovely commander, but that might just be me. A final smile erupts on Rory's face as she glances at her teammates. Rory has only been apart of this whole military thing for four years, she was experienced, but probably not as much as the others. She was just a baby. A spoiled baby that was shielded by her parents from the horror that she was currently inserting herself in. You've got this R, and you're not the only one.

I'm not the only one

Just as Rory finished her comment, the jump light abruptly turned green, causing the back door of the plane to slowly descend with a mechanical whining most soldiers had heard at least once before.

Marcin walked along the platform towards the very back and grabbed hold of a handle that hung from the ceiling as his hair and clothes fluttered in the deafening winds. He found it necessary to give a bit of a speech to his troops before they dropped, so he began with the first thoughts that occurred to him.
"I think I'll take you up on that offer, Rory. Of course, I'll be expecting all of you to jump off this bridge with me, despite that your mothers likely told all of you not to. Ana, I'll need you to hold on to that map for a while. We'll all discuss the details of our operational plans when we hit the ground, but for now I need you all to listen closely. As I mentioned earlier, we're dropping just outside of Berlin, and we've got pretty good weather for it today. We've got 25% illumination from the moon, so we won't be spotted dropping but we'll still have enough light to navigate outside without our own lighting. We've got one snag though, the winds are going to be a bit cruel to us tonight. Reports show some pretty nasty crosswinds that could scatter us anywhere between half a mile to a full mile apart from the intended drop zone. Either way, our rally point is the Northern tip of the small lake we're flying above right now. If you haven't gotten a glimpse of the maps yet, you'll spot it on the way down. Don't let this frighten you, I have full confidence in everyone of you to be able to carry out this jump and rendezvous safely. Keep an eye on your altimeter and don't take any chances. Once you get to the ground, get to work burying your chutes, we can't have the local patrols catching on to our presence."

Marcin stopped to look at his watch for a moment, the tightened the strap holding his Kar98 K to his body. "It's 02:13 right now. I'm expecting full roster at our rally point by 03:00, and we'll get fully situated then. If you suspect we're in the area, our callout will be 'Saumensch.' If you hear 'Saukrel' in return, then that's us, and the area is clear. Oh, and Lawrence, the honor of serving with you all is all mine. God speed gentlemen." Upon saying this, the major casually dropped out of the plain backwards, leaving only the whistling wind in his place.

Rory nods and chuckles at Marcin before making her way besides him. As the door opened, the loose strands of her hair began to whip around. Great, let's hope that doesn't kill me. Rory watches the Major jump out of the plane and her stomach goes checks over her gear one more time before stepping closer to the edge. It's now or never, she shrugs, putting the goggles over her eyes. Leaning forward, she closes her eyes and feels her feet leave the metal platform and feels her body being engulfed by the air.

Now she really felt her stomach drop, opening her eyes she couldn't really see much, even with the moon out. She thought she could see Marcin shooting down towards the ground. The wind beat against her face as she was counting her head till how long she had to release her parachute.

30 seconds left.
1​

Her hand went on the notch and she pulled...

(I feel like I'm replying too often)

Last edited:
Marcin fell listlessly, listening to the roar of air rushing past him. He looked up to see the stars, and could scarcely make out the outline of the plane and possibly another figure following him in his descent. These few moments seemed to last for an eternity, but eventually the major turned around to face the ground, and took the proper free-fall position. He watched the needle of the altimeter on his wrist slowly crawl downwards, and referenced it to the internal count he kept since leaping from the platform. Once his count was up, he quickly yanked the cord for his chute, and felt the tug of it escaping the bag, and a very quick deceleration. Immediately, the roar of the wind was gone, and only the gentle flapping of some fabric in his parachute took its place as he floated to the ground, being carried in the breeze.
Marcin looked around to try and spot some other members of his squad, but couldn't pick them out. They must have still been above him or blown a bit off course. Either way, he took the time to take in hs surroundings, and noted that his current trajectory would take him within a reasonable proximity of the rally point. As the ground was quickly approaching, Marcin braced for the impact. He touched the ground, rolling with his momentum as he had been trained to do multiple times before. Once he was settled, he pulled a collapsable shovel out from his jump bag and begun to dig a whole to bury his chute, and eventually start on his way to the rendezvous point.

(OOC): Don't worry, you're not posting too much. As long as you're not doubling posting and don't progress things too much as to allow others to catch up, you're all good!

"Here ve go..." She mumbled, gripping the D-clip that linked her harness to the track, then made a full sprint down and off of the ramp, going into a free fall. She watched the treeline get closer and closer until the sound of her parachute Unfurling hit her ears, yanking her up harshly from the sudden deceleration. She was relatively close to the drop point, but it seemed she landing close to some sort of house on the lake. She landed in the clearing, making quick work of packing up her shoot and silently sprinting away from the house. Once a fair ways away, she took out her E-tool and began digging a foot deep hole to cover the parachute, then covered it back up. Once this was over, she made her way to the extraction point, not saying a word.

When Rory pulled at first it didn't go off and she panicked. Both her hands tried to make way to the rope. But her unfocused nature caused her body to now turn in flips. Rory, breathe. Calm down. She let herself fall a little more before fixing her self and shooting towards the ground, her hands yank at the rope and finally the parachute let's free and she is pulled back. The breathe that she finally let go soothed her.

Are you fucking kidding me? She whispers when she sees that she's headed toward a tree. The wind really wasn't in her favor. She couldn't risk the damn parachute getting caught so she unbuckles it and by herself makes it through the tree. Fuck, she says as she lands in a tree branch. Subtle amount of blood taints her jumpsuit as the scratch that lead from her shoulder to under her breast pierces with pain. Good job, dumb ass. Dropping out of the tree she walks towards her parachute and picks it up, digging a hole and setting the bag on fire before burying it to hide the smoke.

Alright Rory, let's find someone. Saumensch . Rory lugged on, hoping that she'd find someone friendly and that she'd get patched up

(I like making my characters suffer ???)

As she was moving swiftly, she heard the code word uttered nearby. She slowly raised her PPS, the supressor already screwed on as she scans for anyone. "Saukrel." She responds to the darkness, her accent more obvious now. "Wer ist da draußen?(Who is out there?)" She asked, still scanning.

At the voice whispering through the night Rory pulls out a knife and holds it to the person's throat. She is able to retract far enough to not actually cut the person when she realizes it was only Ana. Es tut mir leid. She mutters wide-eyed, pulling the knife from her teammate's throat and putting it in her pocket. It's a reflex. She avoids her eyes as she slowly puts space between them.

Last edited:
Ana hadn't flinched at the knife being drawn, but she had shifted to where if it came any further she was in position to disarm her. "You're fine... Didn't actually cut me... You, however..." She looks at her, the blood glistening in the moonlight. "Look like you got messed up bad. Run in with an animal or rough landing?" She asked, beginning to move to find a clearing.

Lawrence was one of the last to jump from the plane, a choice decided either by fear or the fact he wanted to make sure everyone else fell safely and on track. He silently thanked whatever lord up above that no one's parachute did a barrel-roll on themselves.

As Lawrence sucked a massive breath in and jumped from the plane, he shouted in his head the training he had received regarding gracefully falling through the sky. As he reached the deceleration zone, he gritted his teeth as he yanked on the pull cord. Everything was going smoothly - the parachute performed perfectly, his bag of supplies was secure, and the plan for this ambush was foolproof. Everything was falling into place.

Lawrence fell perfectly into place himself, hitting the ground and breaking his fall with a roll - admittedly, more clumsy than Marcin's expert technique - but it was enough to ensure no broken bones. The parachute fluttered before him, the thick worn material looking almost golden in the dim light of night. He bundled it up, and mentally checked off another tick on his to-do list as he quickly buried it.

He rose to his feet, and scanned the area for his team members.

Today is not my day. Rory chuckles taking a quick glance. It's not important now, we have to find our safe house. Did you land okay? Rory gave Ana a quick glance but continued moving, making sure that her gear was okay. The cut stung a little but she rolled her shoulder to disregard it. She was gonna have to patch this up soon and she needed a new shirt. Did you happen to see any of the others?

Marcin crept up to the rendezvous point to find it desolate. He slung his rifle across his back as he silently scaled a tree to get a better vantage point and to try to generalize where his team had fallen. Judging from their tradjectories on the way down, he concluded that none of them were blown wildly off course. However, when it came to pin-pointing them, he had nothing to go on. At least for the time being he could tell that, as far as he could tell, him and his squad were the only people occupying this section of woods. For now, he sat absolutely still in his nest, listening to the rustling of the leaves and awaiting any foreign sounds that would tip him off to the presence of another person.

"Nope, but we should get you at least bandaged, can't have a blood trail giving us away, now can we?" She turned back to her with a friendly smile, finally reaching a clearing. "Here. Come now, I'll get that bandaged up." She kneeled down and set her bag in front of her. "I'm just going to ask you remove your shirt so I can actually bandage it." She took out some bandage, then set it on her knee.

Rory paused for a minute, she didn't want to be hanging out in the open like this. But Ana was right. You're right. But it wasn't like she could've argued, Ana was already supplied with bandage. The brown girl kneels and strips off her backpack, hissing at the pain caused by the sudden movement . Her hands soon graze the hem of her shirt and she hesitates. It was dark, yes, but she didn't know how she felt to be exposed. Slowly rising it over head, she turns her shoulder to Ana, peering over it to see the medic work. Thank you. Rory whispers with a swallow, the breeze of the night dancing in her skin as she prepares for Ana's cold or warm hands to tend to her wounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back