Anime & Manga The Sun and Moon Quality

LuluDev

Lurker
Ok, I know, I know, the Sun and Moon Pokemon anime came out a while ago. But, I still can't get over how childish the new animation style looks. I mean, compare it to the XY and XYZ series and then look at this version. If you do like this style, I'm not going to call you out on it. But if you do, can you tell me why?

oh, i was watching the sm anime for a while 100% just BECAUSE of the style. i really love the soft, cute look to it and tbh 110% i prefer it to any other style i've ever seen the anime have. i haven't really watched main series pokemon since ~johto in my childhood so i may be wrong when i say this, but it seems to me like the anime never Really gets dark/serious. if its going to be something cheesy and cute to watch, id much rather it have the cute cartoon-y style. the pokemon looked p hot from what i've seen of xy/xyz series, but good lord is that boy ash ugly imo, and probably all the series before that. sm is the first time i actually enjoy looking at ash. his chin looks well rounded and his outfit is v casual and a lot more... 10-year-old-ish.

While I don't watch Pokemon, I do have a deep appreciation for the modern more cutesy/moei style of anime. I just looks way more polished and more anime to me, besides I like all the cuteness and expressiveness of the modern anime design.

That said, i do hear pokemon sun and moon takes it a touch too far... again, I can't confirm it, but I wanted to leave my opinion on overall cute art styles.

#cutenessisjustice!!!

The S&M animation is pretty good! The color palette is amazing, portraying a very colorful Pokemon World, as always. I love how cheerful, bubbly and just relaxing it looks. Maybe what you don't really like is the 'character designs', or at least Ash's, which I have seen a lot of people complain about. I can't say I'm a big fan of Ash's design in particular, I think he looks a bit weird, but it's nothing really that annoying and I got accustomed to it pretty easily. Plus, the designs of the other characters are really good!!

I haven't watched any of it but I've seen some clips of the animation and I feel like the new art style fits the series very well and has helped the animators do some really fun things with the animation. Pokemon is a kid's series so having a 'childish' art style makes sense and the original designs were pretty 'childish' too, just based on what standards were popular during the mid-late 90s when the show started airing.

Honestly if I picked up watching Pokemon again it'd be Sun&Moon based on the art style and animation alone. It's some seriously appealing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back