• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Starstone Chronicles

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

PenguinFox

The one an' only
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This will be the main thread are where we will be doing most of the game. As I've probably already told you I'm a very laidback DM. I don't stress the rules too much. For the most part I just want everyone to have fun, but there are some things I ask of you.

1. No metagaming. This means you can't use outside knowledge that your character would not know. Example; Person A and Person B both do a perception check. Person A succeeds and sees the thing, person B fails and does not see the thing. Person B can not in any way interact with the thing, they do not know it is there. I don't want to, but if I see meta gaming I will make results of rolls go into PM's where only the specific players know. Don't make me do this.

2. Rules Lawyering. I doubt this will happen seeing as you all are new to the D&D experience and therefore probably haven't read the rulebook. Essentially though, how the DM interprets the rules is law. You may point out if you think I'm being unfair, but don't be obnoxious. Continuing to argue it won't change my mind.

3. No team killing. If your character has a problem with another character you cannot fight them. You may do non-lethal damage(like slapping or punching or whatever), but nothing more. This goes hand in hand with being respectful

4. Be kind to your fellow players. They worked hard and are just in this for a good time just like you. If you have an issue with someone, don't put it in game too. Keep your characters separate from you. If there are any problems, come to me.

5. Have fun and get into it. Immerse yourself in the world. I'm also always open to suggestions. Have a cool idea? Let me know, I'll try to work it into the story! If you're not having fun at any point tell me and I'll do what I can to correct the problem.

6. Please use { } for OOC to make things easier, thanks ^^

Now onto the good stuff

"For time immemorial the forces of the Shining Heavens and the Burning Hells have fought in an endless battle known as The Eternal Conflict. Bodies of both angelic and demonic beings could be found in all planes of existence. For countless eons the battle was a brutal stalemate. The Divines were powerful, but the Demon Lords were clever. They managed to trick the divines and were able to infiltrate the vaults of heaven. In a panic to stop the spread of corruption the divines sealed the vaults off and burned them. All that remained was a long forgotten chest, tightly wrapped in chains of light.

After much research in the angelic libraries it was discovered that the chest contained a powerful artifact that could only be used when The Eternal Conflict was over. The scrolls stated that it was before even the time of the angels and it should not be opened before the war was over. For safe keeping the divines hid the artifact in the plane of Pandemonium, where the winds always howl, time and space have no meaning, and logic is scarce to be found. All who had ventured to Pandemonium never returned and they felt it would be safe there. But there were those who believed that the artifact, if indeed so powerful, could be used to end the war sooner. The Divine council became split, and some left to recover the artifact.

Very few know exactly what happened after, but some things are certain; the chest was opened, and the artifact was used. It was used to create the world as you know it, possibly even all life on it. It is believed however, that in shaping the world a sliver broke off the artifact. This sliver is now known as The Starstone. While not as powerful as the full artifact it has wondrous powers indeed. It can consume the minds of even the strongest willed individuals, cause curses and plagues, raise the dead, and even make a mortal being divine. After much searching, and much chaos the Starstone was retrieved and is now under the protection of the heavens elite guard.

Since the beginnings of sentient beings there have been those that seek the Starstone. Most seek it for their own greedy purposes, so that they may wield the awesome power for themselves. Some who seek it are taken by demons, others die along the way. Some lose their minds and become hermits, others are never heard from again. But once in a hundred years a person of the utmost purity is born and noticed by the gods. They are put through trials to see if they are worthy, and if proven to be they are allowed to use the Starstone to become divine. Only ten beings have ever been ascended to divinity.

Of course all this is just a story right? None of it's true right? Regardless of your beliefs on the subject, you are currently sitting in a tavern. It's a fairly large establishment for the size of the town and pleasantly lit. It's a warm summer evening and the sun is beginning it's descent. You look around at all the other patrons noticing some interesting characters. You think of all the possibilities as to why these people might be here. Perhaps fate, luck, the will of the gods? It is uncertain. What is certain is your drink is awful."

So this took way longer than expected, but here's what I got so far. I will definitely be adding to this lore, especially along the way. Some of it will remain secret until revealed to you(for plot purposes) I am also working on a map so that it will be easier to keep up on locations. There are still some things that need to be done first, but I will officially allow the start soon I promise!

Last edited:
Sulfarn sat uncomfortably in a chair in the tavern. The red dragonborn could feel the other patrons' eyes on him. He believed that after so long he would have gotten used to it over time, but it didn't stop him from getting tense when others stared at him. Finishing off the last drops of the ale he had been drinking, he began to look around the tavern for others that would stick out of the crowd.

{Just to kind of bump things, and kickstart the story, and give you something to react to. You may use whatever tense, and writing style you wish, I will be using second person and present tense however, so as to not confuse people.}
There is a man sitting in the far corner of the bar, almost shaded in darkness. There is a dark green cloak's hood over his head and it is bowed low so that only his stubbled chin is visible. From what you can tell it is a human male, and they seem to be doing exactly what you are; eyeing up the crowd looking for someone interesting. He catches your eye and stands up. He walks, almost saunters, over to your table. He is a taller, lithe man but clearly not weakly thin. He sits across from you and removes his hood. His hair is dark brown and short, standing up at the front. His jawline is strongly defined but as if by a mix of starvation and natural looks. His eyes are what most stand out about him though. His right eye is one of the deepest darkest browns a person could imagine for an eye, the left is bright gold. His cloak is obscuring his body but on his shoulder the outline of a throwing dagger can be seen pressed against the cloth. "Ale here is terrible eh?" he says with a friendly smile. Carolbrock Carolbrock

The tall Dragonborn was shocked at the friendliness that the lithe man gave him. Sulfarn was even more shocked by the man’s question. Sulfran came up with an answer quickly in hopes to not bore the only person who didn’t look away from him. “There are definitely better things to be spending coin on. I would suggest the stew.” His red hand pushed a few silver coins towards the man. “You look like you need it, friend.”

The man looks down at the coins and smiles before pushing them back. "Quite generous of you-" he looks back up to you, a knowing smile on his face. "-Sulfarn right? While the offer is kind I am in no need of coin." he chuckles a little and pats at his hip where a pouch can be seen tied to his belt. "My name is Zalriah. If you prefer you may call me Z." he leans in, a sudden serious look on his face. His voice is hushed. "Tell me friend, you believe in prophecies?" he looks around the room suspiciously. It doesn't seem like the hushed whispers of a madman, but more like a man who has learned not all like his words. Carolbrock Carolbrock

Cora walked in tavern, normally she wouldn't gone there as she needed her money to dept paying, but because hot day, she needed drink something.
"Drink here." she said to barkeeper, as looking around her other hand next of her dagger and goldpurse. It wouldn't be first time when drunk would try to steal from her. She saw red dragonborn speaking with shady man. She then taked out 4 copper coins from her purse and gived them to barkeeper.​

Orion lazily pushed the tavern’s door open, his weapons danglign carelessly on each sides of his waist. He brushed his long, black hair away from his face as he took a seat not far from the two strangers who seemed to be having a busy conversation themselves. He didn’t care about whatever they were talking by far- he just came to chill, and possibly find a good stranger to talk with. Orion looked over to the bartender, then looked away. Tapping on the wooden table, he fell into a silent debate with himself about what to drink for today.
PenguinFox PenguinFox
{Sorry for the extremely late post folks.}

The bartender looks down at the halfling for a moment then shrugs. He pours her a glass of the house ale and hands it to her. He opens his mouth to say something but seems to think better of it and remains silent. When no one is looking he pockets the copper. Veltsu VI Veltsu VI

The bartender then makes his way over to the new customer. "Can I get you anything? I've been told that you've already been paid for, so anything you want." RandomBlobMan RandomBlobMan

You get the unsettling feeling that someone is watching you but if you look around you find no one seems to care about your presence. Then, as if out of nowhere there is a man standing next to you. He is wearing a dark green cloak, with a hood over his head. He looks over to you and smiles slightly, as if he knows something. "Good to finally meet you Cora." he says quietly. Gestures to one of the booths so that the conversation may be private. Veltsu VI Veltsu VI

Cora Tealeaf

Tavern
Carolbrock Carolbrock / RandomBlobMan RandomBlobMan / PenguinFox PenguinFox

Cora looks stranger, who seems to be wearing similar color cloak than other guy who was talking with Dragonborn.
"Do i know you?" she says, moving her hand back to where her dagger is. She moves slowly to booth, keeping eyes on stranger.​

Orion scratched his chin, his eyes slightly widened at the man's rather astonishing statement. Someone was willing to pay him for a drink? As far as his job went people preferred to shoo him away rather than buy him a drink with a pat on the back. Orion took a moment to think, and raiaed a finger to the ceiling.
"Something light. And cheap."
He said.
PenguinFox PenguinFox

Whenever you look to the man talking to the Dragonborn his figure appears to shimmer, as if he weren't entirely there. It's like your eyes can't entirely focus on him. The man you follow to the booth sits down and smiles at you from under the hood. You can see a strong jawline underneath stubble. He removes his hood to reveal short dark brown hair standing up in the front. His right eye is a deep dark brown and the left is bright gold. "No, you don't know me. But I know you Cora." Being familiar with them yourself, you recognize various thieve's tools on his personage. "Tell me, do you believe in prophecies?" Veltsu VI Veltsu VI

The bartender nods and soon brings back a glass of the house ale. At a point where you look away there is a thump at another chair at your table. When you look you see a man sitting there as if he always had been there. He wears a dark green cloak with a hood. He lowers it to reveal a pronounced jawline covered in stubble, and short dark brown hair standing up in the front. One of his eyes is the darkest brown possible without being black, the other is bright gold. He gives you a friendly smile. "Evening." he says casually. RandomBlobMan RandomBlobMan

Orion stopped himself from reaching for his scimitar. The sudden appearance of the stranger frightened him by the slightest, if not making his heart skip a beat or two. His right hand, almost smashing through the table to his weapon’s handle, tried not to show that he was startled by the man’s rather dramatic entrance. Instead he reached for the house ale and took a sip.
“Evening.”
He told back.

Cora Tealeaf

Tavern

Cora didn't like stranger, it felt like he would have get knowledge of her from HIM and that wasn't good thing as paying day was coming up and she wanted her dept turn smaller. As stranger asked about fairy tail, she answered him
"No, i don't believe to fairy tales" she said, hand holding from coin purse, not wanting to let go off it.​

Last edited:
The man gives a nod to the drink in your hand. "Any good?" he asks. You notice there's something visually odd about the man, besides his eyes that is, but you can't place what it is. RandomBlobMan RandomBlobMan

The man smirks. "I used to think the same thing." he leans back in his chair and scratches his chin. "Used to think we made our own destinies, everything was under our control and there is nothing that is predetermined. Any chance encounter a coincidence, right? It's naive really." the man looks you up and down, analyzing you. "Everyone has a price though...." he nods to himself. "The thing is, I'm looking to make you an offer. I need your help. In exchange for your help you'll get....." he thinks for a moment, searching for what would best suit your needs, or trying to remember something, it's unclear. "Well, let's say your debt will be taken care of. Not a bad deal right?" he smiles wide. "No shame in being paid to believe either. I was at first." Veltsu VI Veltsu VI

Cora Tealeaf

Tavern

Cora thinked bit, she still didn't trust to stranger, but getting her dept payed off sound too good, as right now she feared that she wouldn't get her dept payed in her lifetime.
"I take it. What do you want me to do?" she said, still not trusting man, but getting her dept payed off was deal that she wouldn't miss.​

Orion frowned for a split second, feeling unsettled about how the man looked. It wasn’t an odd choice of cloak or an uncanny smile-but rather an unexplainable element. He took another sip from the drink before he chose to answer to this ‘uncanny’ companion.
“Just as usual.”
He muttered.
PenguinFox PenguinFox

The man smiles. "Excellent. For now, I need nothing from you, but soon you will be called upon to act. That's when I'll need your help. I'll be in contact." the man rolls up his left sleeve revealing various tattoo's of weapons and an unfamiliar symbol. He taps the symbol once and in a puff of smoke he is gone. Entirely gone. The only sign that he was ever there is a piece of paper like a business card. It reads Zalriah of Azri Enterprises on one side, and instructions on the other. The instructions are small so as to fit on the card. It reads; If ever in need of my expertise assistance place card on ground this side up. Place any object of monetary value on card. Recite these words; "Zalriah thief of thieves, I beckon you from the shadows" It appears to be some kind of magic ritual, but you are unfamiliar with it. Veltsu VI Veltsu VI

The man smiles at your words. "It's not the best place ever but it's good in a pinch. I've had many a drink here." He looks over to another table just in time to see a puff of smoke. "Seems I'm short on time, so I'll skip the pleasantries. I need your help." he looks around suspiciously before leaning in and speaking quietly. "It's not entirely coincidence that you're here. There are things happening beyond your comprehension." he leans back again and returns to a casual tone. "Should you offer your assistance to me you will be rewarded of course. Quite handsomely. To the tune of anything your heart desires. How does that sound?" he grins knowing his offer is a difficult one to refuse. RandomBlobMan RandomBlobMan

Orion leaned back against the wooden chair, this time taking a mighty gulp from the glass, emptying it after seconds. He gently set the glass on the table and scratched his chin. This stranger was an oddball out of many who wanted him by their side. A payment to his will? This guy either couldn’t bargain or was in a real hurry. But as far as payment went, he was glad to be on board with the highest bidder. He moved his hand from his chin to the handle of his scimitar.
“Lead the way, captain.”
He said.
PenguinFox PenguinFox

The man smiles at you. "Excellent, I knew you would find those agreeable terms." he rolls up his sleeves revealing various tattoo's of daggers and lockpicks. There is also a strange symbol there that you do not recognize. "For now, The only thing you need to do is wait until you are required. I'll be in touch with you when the time comes, or you may contact me with this." he hands you a card. It reads Zalriah of Azri Enterprises on one side, and instructions on the other. The instructions are small so as to fit on the card. It reads; If ever in need of my expertise assistance place card on ground this side up. Place any object of monetary value on card. Recite these words; "Zalriah thief of thieves, I beckon you from the shadows" He then touches the symbol on his arm and disappears in a puff of black smoke, similar to what could be seen at another table. RandomBlobMan RandomBlobMan

You hear a sound like the slap of a bass drum and see a puff of dark smoke at another table, similar to what just happened at yours. You get an uneasy feeling like something is happening here that you are not aware of. Something beyond your control. Veltsu VI Veltsu VI

Cora Tealeaf

Tavern

Cora was confused by card and how man had vanished.
"Great, mage thief, if i get any valuable i sell it and don't use it to get him." She said to herself, when there was second buff at table where was fighter."Second mage from same group?" Cora walked to man. "Who was one who talked to you?"

Orion turned his head to the voice as a new one addressed him. He lazily moved a string of hair away from his face and stared at the stranger. After tapping his chin for a few seconds, he came up with a simple, obvious answer he could muster from his mind.
“Some good stranger who paid for my drink, I guess.”
He then showed the card the man handed him.
“Who also gave me a little gift after hiring me.”
He added.
Veltsu VI Veltsu VI

You immediately discern that both cards are in fact identical{you didn't need a roll for that} but you also notice that in the lettering is a kind of metal dust. Additionally you notice on the borders of the cards are small runic inscriptions. Your best guess is that these all work together to form some kind of ritual summoning spell, you would assume the summoning of the man who gave you the card. Veltsu VI Veltsu VI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back