• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Soulbound Pact (Exalted 3rd Edition - Abyssals)

Raparth

Oracle of Dimensional Science
It seemed infinitely harder, walking down the mountain. Three days ago, he had reached the top, or as near to it as one could be without entering the temple grounds. Three days of praying, fasting, meditating on the Immaculate texts. They had tested his limits, here on this cold mountain. And yet he was denied. The stairs twisted, turned, almost flowing down the mountainside like the streams he had tried to emulate. His muscles strained, but they were nothing compared to the torment in his heart. It was not three days he had waited, but years... decades of training under the eyes of the Immaculate Dragons. A lifetime spent seeking the closest thing to the grace of Exaltation that had been denied him. And yet he failed. Despair twisted his mind in ways that seemed to mock these holy grounds. Anger at himself and anger at those who had not helped him, those who had cast him down, those who surely laughed at his soul's desolation. Peleps Deled. He has received the grace of the Dragons and yet not I? He laughs at me, downcast, a faithful soul discarded because he does not find me worthy? Strength returned, hardened by bitterness, but it cost the monk his concentration. And the road to glories of the Dragons is not a path for the inattentive.

His foot slipped on a bit of the frozen rainwater, hiding in the shadow of the stone steps. Reflexes honed by years of training attempted to counter. They may even have overcome the obstacle of three days of exposure and fasting, but... The anger, bolstered by despair, turned his heel. Down went the bald man in ragged tunic, down went the mortal who dared question the decision of the Immaculate Dragons and their Chosen, down went the man who had forsaken all other identity for the name 'Student'... Limbs jumbled, bones broken, his body turned in the fall so that his head crashed on the last, bottommost, step. Eyes stared up, up the mountain path at the soaring temples of the Wyld Hunt, at the goal from which he had fallen so far, at the very embodiment of the mission he had so deeply failed...

The world darkened, the cold pressing down on him as his blood painted the snow. His heart beat slower, slower, trying to hold off the inevitable. His breath caught, escaping slowly out of blue and blood-splattered lips as his heart gave its last...

It is they that have failed you.

It all stopped. He stopped. Death itself stopped, as if waiting with bated breath. Instead of the Pinnacle of the Eye, he saw… Her. She was too short for a northerner, yet the mountain seemed so small in comparison. Her hair was pulled back harshly, bound behind her head with long hair sticks of a shimmering-black. Her skin was purest ivory, holding dark almond-shaped eyes that seemed to draw in his very soul. Her lips, the vibrant red of blood just split, matched her hair and stirred something in his lower chakras. Her voluptuous form was covered by a sleek dress the color of a starless night, its collar rising nearly to her chin. Five thin chains of jet lay around her neck and on her breast and seemed to be covered in some tiny inscriptions that he could not make out. Ashen prayer scrolls wove about her waist, shoulders, and arms, pulling the cloth closer still. A few scrolls eventually trailed loosely from her wrists and hips. The prayers, from what he could bring himself to see, were written in red and black and were the darkest blasphemies imaginable, calling the Dragons traitorous putrescent dogs and far worse.

I offer you the chance to continue. To exceed those who judged you unworthy. To cast down those who denied you.

“P-p-please…” He somehow coughed out the word.

You would give up your name, your destiny, and what is left of your life? You would serve me, until Creation itself dies?

“Y-yes,” it was easier this time, as if Death was ready to release its hold.

You would destroy the travesty of life and end this broken world?

The monk would say he paused, but time itself seemed to have cease its motion. To end Creation itself? To go against the Immaculate Dragons and their teachings? It would be a betrayal of everyth- Peleps Deled, his mind provided.

“I will,” said the student with strength and certainty.

Our pact is sealed. Arise.

And so he stood, body made whole, then knelt before his new master.

Conjured from the depths of a forgotten history, the Abyssal Exalted are the champions of death. They ride forth from the Underworld wearing the finery of long-buried kings, or clad in armor forged from forfeit souls. Funereal incense is their perfume. They are mighty warrior-poets, and their battle prowess, dark sorcery, and elegant words are a match for the Solar Exalted themselves.
The Abyssals represent a new threat to Creation—the Realm and its Sidereal masters can find no historical records which speak of these beings, not even those forbidden tomes dating back to the First Age. These deathknights first appeared at the siege of Thorns where they cut down the city’s Dragon-Blooded defenders. Now they openly claim manses in Creation’s shadowlands, and attend the courts of the Deathlords. Their purpose is clear: They are Death’s Lawgivers, come to impose a new order.

------------------

Hello, everyone! I am interested in running a game of Exalted's third edition, with Abyssals. Obviously, they aren't out yet in official form, so we're going to be using Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called as a starting point, and fixing anything else as we go along.

Abyssals have always been interesting to me, because, well, in the world of Exalted, being a mortal is horrible, unless you are very, very lucky. You live a life of suffering, trying to avoid being crushed by forces far beyond you, and then inevitably die. After you die, you're likely to become a ghost trapped by its attachments to the past as it struggles not to fall in Oblivion. In such a world, when you are in that moment between life and death, could you turn down an offer to live again, more powerful than your wildest dreams? You could strike back against those that wronged you, destroy all that is wrong with the world... all for the price of a name and a destiny. Your name is dead, for if you do not accept, so too will you be, and in the world of Exalted, there is no true return from death. Your destiny is finished, unless you cast it off to take a new one. Why not take this deal, take up this destiny to watch Creation die on the Last Day? It will happen anyway. You had no real choice in your life or your world. Why not have a choice in how that world ends?

This will be a game where the players start as newly trained deathknights in service to the Keeper of Truths Most Forbidden. Also called the Mistress of Soulbound Pacts Written in Blood, she is a Deathlord whose citadel (the Chapterhouse of Obdurate Fetters) sits on the same mountain that, in Creation, holds the Pinnacle of the Eye of the Hunt. The story begins with the characters as "Loyalists," but I promise that even within that group there is far more than just kill-kill-kill (unless you join the First and Forsaken Lion, I suppose). That said, if people decide they want to go some flavor of renegade, whether freelance or even redemptive, I am fine with the story progressing in a different direction. I am cautious of the label "sandbox," because I've often seen that lead to games where the world just sits and waits for you to interact with it. In games I run, I have a fair amount of other forces I know are have their own goals and plans in the background. The players are free to pursue whatever direction they like, but their enemies (or allies) aren't just sitting around waiting while they go on a vacation.

We will see more of the world (beyond what we have in Exalted 3rd right now) as we go, but for now I will say that the Underworld, at least, is more similar with its 2nd Edition form. By this, I mean that it is more of a dark reflection of Creation, with a similar land mass, than the archipelago Underworld described in 3rd edition. As a big fan of the Lore facts system in Ex3, I would be very happy to have players help build up the setting and the various things going on.

A perfect circle is desirable, but it is not obligatory. I have had some interest expressed from some previous players of mine (like Vivisector Vivisector ), so I'm going to give them priority, but that only matters if there is some massive expression of interest here. I'm used to running big games in in-person tabletop games, so I'm not too worried about numbers being overwhelming (protip: do not run a 10 player Scion game, as cool as it is for the first few sessions), but we'll just see what people are feeling.

Awesome flavor text :) I'm definitely interested in this. Not sure which direction to go yet, but I have wanted to play a poet or artist for a while.

You certainly have my interest. I do enjoy all flavors of the Lawgivers: Solar, Abyssal and Infernal.

You've had my interests for a while now. I'd like to revisit an Abyssal from previous game, so I could readily fill a spellcasting role. In 2nd edition parlance, she's more interested in zombies, necrotech, and plagues than outright sorcery, but if we want to play with sorcery systems I'm game.

I would like to join this game of deathknights. I think I want to do that mummy body Crafter idea I told you about that one time while we watch the LoL international.

Awesome! So, to respond to specific thoughts:

Esbilon Esbilon I think it would be really interesting to see a poet or an artist in this context, but if you change your mind, that's okay, too.

Vivisector Vivisector She could certainly use more screen-time. I will point out to you that, at least in the core book for 3rd Edition, they've shied away from magitech (compared to 2nd). There are still warstriders and what-have-you, but many of the glories of the First Age seem more like they've accomplished them through sorcerous workings (the more free-form projects of sorcery). That, or at least they require it, since you can't even start buying Craft (First Age Artifice) until you have Lore 5, Occult 5, Craft (Artifacts) 5, and Terrestrial Sorcery. Craft (Artifacts) requires you to hit Lore 3, Occult 3, and a related-to-the-artifacts-you-want-to-make Craft of at least 4. This is not to dissuade you, at all, just to let you know what the steps look like.
Crafting can certainly still get you all your necrotech needs (although a necromantic working to improve them would always been an option), but we'll have to sit down and consider how to craft a plague. I'm trying to decide if Craft (Necrotech) would be either a baseline Craft (like, say, blacksmithing or carpentry) or if it would be something like Craft (Artifacts). The first one doesn't seem exclusive enough, but I want to make sure there's also a reason that the Craft that gets you into Necrotech or Artifacts also plays a role in the use of those Crafts. That said, her grand ambition could certainly be thought of in terms of a legendary project.

Black Prophet Legacy Black Prophet Legacy I can't remember it at the moment, you'll have to refresh my memory!

I wouldn't mind some sort of warrior general. I even have a pic for the idea.

full

Ravens are cool, great symbol of death right there :)

For myself, I'm thinking something along the lines of someone who became a death knight out of a love for the dead rather than a hate for the living. Of course, since Creation is an unfair place, that love is twisted by the black exaltation.

I'm reading through Whom Death Has Called now, and am sorely tempted to change my concept to a Valkyrie. Not entirely sure what can be done to implement it (haven't gotten to the Charms yet), but I like the idea of collecting dead heroes and villains, and making them fight for a higher (or lower, as the case may be) in the afterlife.

Everyone keep brainstorming character concepts. I'll put up an OOC and character thread soon(tm). Feel free to have characters interconnected! If you want to know more details about what your character may have experienced or whom they may have mt during training and all that, let me know. I just don't want to turn into InfoDump the Storyteller. Of course, you all will have the option to revise characters during or at the end of the first "adventure." I know it can take a while to really figure out how your character fits in the world and what they should have. Please keep me appraised of alterations made after we start, just so I don't miss something important.

Characters can, if you want, be from almost anywhere, although the game will be starting at the Chapterhouse, so the northeast corner of the Threshold (again: where the Pinnacle of the Eye of the Hunt is). My initial collection of ... scenarios take place in the North, Northeast, and Scavenger Lands, since those are the local "Direction." It is certainly possible (either from my decisions or from decisions you all make) that there will be reasons to go to almost anywhere in Creation. Not terribly different from a normal [Solar] game, in that respect. Added to all that, there is obviously the Underworld, which is enough for its own game, and has cool places like Stygia.

As for theme and style, I plan on having a little of everything (okay, no sailing plans... yet... unless someone goes sail, then, actually, I have an old quest idea for that): mass combat, political maneuvers, infiltration, diplomacy, "questing," lore-seeking... I'm not saying it's all going to be equal, or right up front, but I think every situation can have its own fun. That said, I try to always be very sensitive to what players enjoy and want more of, so please let me know! If everyone decides, "Hey, we don't like infiltration missions," well, I'm not saying subtly and discretion will never have their place, but the amount of Thief/Assassin's Creed/Hitman situations will go down significantly. That and I always try to make sure there are multiple ways to try and approach any situation (not that I can ever be as creative and unpredictable as a party of players, so Storytelling [Improvisation] is one of my Specialties).

If you want quick responses, I am generally online in the RPNation Discord channel, so you can friend/whisper me via there (if PMs on here aren't fast enough), but it's important to point out that I live in Shanghai, so I'm 12 hours in the future from Eastern US time... so my active hours maaay be a bit different than most people's.

Esbilon Esbilon There's always necromancy, which can let you summon ghosts (like demons or elementals in sorcery). We could alter the Mara sorcery details to be more Valkyrie-esque (such as claiming worthy souls, then using them for motes). If you want something more martial, maybe a combination of necromancy and War to make something like einherjar battle groups. Let me know how I can help you!

Raparth Raparth Necrotech is a secondary concern. Creating a Creation-annihilating plague is her primary goal, and necrotech was merely a means to spread her plague in a more visceral way. I'd like to explore options with you, but it's something that can wait until later in the game if she even pursues it t all. Attention to plague-crafting and medical/alchemical experimentation feels like a far more important thing early on for her. It ain't easy wiping out all life in Creation, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back