• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom The Slowest Burn of All [CLOSED]

Kailyn1081

It took two years for the new Avengers Facility to be built, which was pretty quick if you consider the fact that the land before had just been a huge gaping hole. It was built a bit closer to the city, so it was only a quick flight over if they were needed. Peter had inherited Starks's control over the team, and some of the wealth of course. He vowed to Aunt May to finish high school before he would take over the Avengers Initiative, and he kept that promise. It was a weird few years at high school, but a month after he was out the facility was finished, so he moved upstate.

With the help of Happy and Steve, he was able to contact everyone from the battle that he could, trying to set up a team to help deal with the damage that occurred and to make sure they were prepared if anything decided to come back. Thor had joined the Guardians but as always on call, and Danvers had followed him up into space. He had a transmitter should he ever need her, but since the battle had ended not much had occurred.

Of course, there was always Dr. Strange, whom he visited monthly. He had come to like the wizard and would join him for tea on the first weekend of the month. Strange kept him up to date with everything happening in the mystical world, and for those first 3 years, not much had happened. There was an eerie presence, and another battle within the mystical world, but nothing that he needed help with. Strange could handle his own and Peter respected that.

Hope, Hulk, Steve, Happy, Scott, Bucky, and Sam had all taken a permanent residence at the facility. They would come and go as needed, but most chose to stick around, keeping each other company, and helping each other cope through what had occurred. Pepper would always come around, and over those five peaceful years, the crew got to watch Morgan grow up. Peter took her under his wing, calling her at night or coming over to tuck her in, always keeping a watchful eye on her. She was brilliant, just like her father. He was a brother to her, helping her through her nightmares and celebrating with her victories. She and Scott would play with the ants in the backyard, then she would go watch the sunset with Peter on top of the empire state building at night. It was a peaceful time, almost too peaceful.

The night before his twenty-fourth birthday, the crew decided to throw a party. The facility was lit up with liquor flowing freely, everyone finally at ease. “Who would have thought, after six fucking years we finally can just sit back and relax,” Sam said, tossing a beer towards Peter.

“Hey, we deserve it. We went through hell and back” Scott chipped in, his smile wide enough to light up the room.

“Boys, that was five years ago. Can’t we all talk about anything else?” Hope joked, jabbing her elbow playfully at Scott. “Don’t get too confident, it’s been quiet which is great, but it won’t last forever.”

“Oh come on,” Sam said, taking another drink from his glass. “What’s the worst thing that could happen?” A moment after he spoke, the building began to shake and the lights flickered. Everyone at once seemed to be on edge, grabbing their weapons at once.

“Sir, there appears to have been an energy blast near The Sanctum, power is out all over the city,” Jarvis spoke, his voice echoing throughout the house.

Steve sent a glare towards Sam “You had to ask”

Peter got up and grabbed the spider pendant that he still wore, tapping it twice. His suit quickly covered him as he walked towards the door. Falcon wasn’t far behind him, his suit on in a matter of seconds as well. Nanotech was a true savior. “Let’s go figure out what is happening,” Peter said, taking a second to stretch before he shot out a web and took off.

When the two got on the scene, Dr. Strange was on the top of the Sanctum, covered in sweat from whatever he had just fought. The entire city was as dark as night, not a light to be seen. Falcon landed first, followed by Peter. “Strange, what the hell just happened?” Peter asked, his voice borderline panicking.

Strange looked up, his eyes wide in panic. “Energy blast from the unknown.”

Sam shook his head “What do you mean the unknown? Where did it come from?”

Strange took a moment to catch his breath, standing up straight. “I am looking to figure that out. I will be in touch.” He held out his hand and quickly set up a portal. “Contact me if anything happens,” He said, before stepping through the portal and disappearing to the other side.

-----

Not much happened for a month following the blast. Everyone was on edge, but it remained quiet. The city played it off as an outage, but Peter knew it was more than that. Everyone began to work double-time, just waiting for the trainwreck to catch up to them. Things around the city began to get...weird. More small petty crimes began to come up, but these weren’t ordinary crimes. They would rob banks and disappear into thin air, or somehow the entire crowd became so furious they couldn’t think straight. There was a sighting of a man who turned into gas to kill someone, and another rumor about a girl could melt metal and move water. Every time they went to disrupt a crime happening they were a second too late, the constant failure eventually getting on the team's nerves. Peter was determined to get one of them to come in, and his approach seemed to constantly fail.

“Maybe we should just ask them to turn themselves in. That would work wouldn’t it?” Bucky spit out, pacing back and forth.

“Ah of course! The nice guy approach. That's what we get for having a kid as a leader!” Sam shouted, his fist colliding with the wall. It was their 20th failure in a month, he couldn’t take more of this. “We are the avengers who beat a man from space right? But a few humans we can’t seem to get. You know this would be different if Sta-”

Peter slammed his fist into the table “I know it would be different if Stark was here! I fucking get it, we are failing right now. If you don’t want to be here then you know where the fucking door is.” He ran a hand through his hair, his hands shaking “I am not Mr. Stark, I never will be. I am just trying to figure this out-” He stopped when he felt the familiar hand on his shoulder, looking over at Steve. He was glad he had the old man there to help him run everything. Sure he was smart like Stark, but his leadership skills were still severely lacking.

As Rogers started to diffuse the situation with Bucky and Sam, the hair on the back of Peters's neck stood up. A moment later Scott and Hope emerged from thin air, a full human arm in Hope's arms. “Here is what you wanted right? A sample from a meta?”

Sam's jaw fell to the floor, the sight just too much for him to take in. “Is nobody else concerned that-”

“Where the hell is the rest of him?” Bucky asked, poking the arm with his metal fingers.

“Who even cares, this is perfect!” Peter said, taking the arm and running upstairs to the lab. He paged Hulk to come back, he needed help on analysis.

-----

While Hulk was working on figuring out what was happening to these new super-powered humans, Peter was working on figuring out who these people were. He was monitoring every street camera in New York City, and one girl kept popping up over and over again. She would either freeze or heat the metal of a door open, and quickly get in and out of the building before she could be caught. Fury had called a team meeting that afternoon to go over a few big ‘issues’ he had found, and Peter could only assume that the issues involved this girl.

The group headed down to the meeting room, the hologram of Fury popping up and looking at all of them. “I hope you all enjoyed your break because it looks like trouble is back again. Playtime is over ladies, it’s time to work for a living.” The one-eyed man said, his voice echoing throughout the room. “Hulk, tell them what we have found”

Hulk stood up, giving an awkward cough before he started. “I looked into the blood and skin sample found by Scott and Hope, and it appears that these new metahumans have dark matter infused with their cells. I suspect it was from the blast of the Chituari during the battle, but I can’t be too sure. Either way, they had dark matter mend with their cells, and it appeared to lay dormant for the past five years. Whatever that energy blast was that hit the city a month ago appears to have…” He thought for a moment, choosing his next words carefully. “Kickstarted their cells. The sample we have was from someone with the power of electricity, as you can see by his cells.” A slide popped up, within his cells were small particles moving a million miles an hour, the shade of lightning. “We don’t know how many there are, so we need to work on bringing them in so we can figure exactly what is happening and how to stop it.” Hulk sat back down, the attention once again turning towards Fury.

“There is one particular meta that is causing significant trouble.” An image of a woman popped up, her hair a mess, and a wicked smile on her face. Peter could see a visible shudder flow through Hope as the women's information was brought up. “This is our notorious bank robber and murder Kailyn Thorne, now why exactly the daughter of a millionaire couple would need to rob banks I have no idea, but we need her to be brought in. The people are getting suspicious and she is out of control. Four have been found dead where she has been, and it needs to end. Captain, Falcon, and Bucky, you are all assigned to this one. Once we get an accurate pinpoint on her you will be sent out to get her. You three are dismissed” The three of them muttered a ‘Yes Sir’ under their breath before they got up and walked out. Fury turned to the remaining group, his eyes focusing on Peter. “We also have intel about some genetic testing going on at Wells Industries. Peter, Hope, and Scott will go and investigate this. You need to be careful, they are not known to be the nicest with visitors. I am sending the address now, head out once you are ready.” He nodded and dismissed the three, finally looking back at Hulk. “Banner, you will continue testing this sample, I am sending over some biotechnologists to aid you. We need you to develop a serum to dampen the powers. If there is any hope we can bring them in, it revolves around that serum. You are dismissed.” The holo flickered and the man disappeared, the room remaining silent for a moment.

“Finally, something interesting to do,” Scott said, getting up and stretching. “Alright boys, let's do this.”

“Shut up.” Hope huffed, brushing past Peter to go get ready.

“Here we go again” Peter smiled, it had been so long since anything interesting happened. He was ready for this.

-----

Peter gave Sam a few sedation darts before he headed out. They were enough to knock an elephant on its ass, it would for sure take any metahuman down… or so he hoped. He headed out with Hope and Scott, following them into the darkness of night. They traveled farther upstate, going through the woods for miles upon miles. His arms were killing him by the time they got to their destination. They were on top of a hill overlooking a highly guarded facility, barbed wire fencing surrounded the building, watchtower lights drifting over the front of the hill.

“Shouldn’t we have brought a getaway vehicle?” Scott asked through the earpiece

“Don’t you have your van on a keychain?” Peter replied, his eyes

“I was supposed to bring that?” Scott asked, his response getting answered with a shout from both Parker and Hope. “Nobody told me! I didn’t think it was this big of a mission!” He said, trying to desperately defend himself.

“Right, because Fury would send us out on a mission that was not a big deal” Hope shot back, quickly sparking an argument between the two.

“Guys, now is not the time” Peter hissed out, his eyes studying the facility. He spotted a weak spot on the back corner of the property and he slowly got up to go head over there. “Lang I need you to get as much information you can on this Flash Drive, it will auto overwrite any security system. Then find us an escape out of here. Hope come with me, we have to see what they are working on”

The two shrunk back down, and that's when the mission began. As Lang headed out on Antonio Peter and Hope quickly made their way towards the facility, taking out one guard along the way. Peter shed his red suit for the guard's uniform, and with a quick swipe of the badge, he was able to get in. Hope was resting on his shoulder as he went up and down the halls, searching for any sign of a lab. He found a long dark hallway, lined with labs, and at the end was a door with a handprint scanner. “Alright I am going to grab anything I can, you get into that door” Peter whispered, watching the woman take off towards the door. Peter went into each room and grabbed different vials and files, taking any information he could carry with him. Wells Industries was known for its corrupt ways, and he was damned if he wasted this opportunity to hang them. He had just finished with the last lab when Hope because to curse over the headpiece, and the door flew open. “Pete, you are going to want to see this,” She said, her voice frantic.

Peter ran down the hall and stopped dead in his tracks when he got through the door. There were two cells, one empty and the other with a woman in it. She was strapped to a table, tubes running in and out of her body. She was hooked up to a million different monitors, a man equipped with a gun guarding the inside of her door. “Jarvis unlock this door now” Peter hissed, and the door slid open, bewildering the guard for a moment. The guard went after Peter, taking out his gun and shoving him against the back wall.

“You don’t have clearance to get in here,” the guard said, his gun wedged into Peters's chest.

“I don’t think I was asking” Peter replied, and with a quick punch, the guard was out cold and webbed to the wall.

Hope had enlarged in the room with the woman, who’s eyes were now filled with panic and confusion. Hope was quickly turning off every machine possible and taking tubes out of the girl as a siren began to blare around the room. “I know this must be very confusing, but we are here to help you” Hope said, her voice soft as she slowly helped the woman to her feet. “My name is Hope, and this is Peter, we are taking you out of here. Can you walk?”

After two failed steps and the sounds of guards coming closer, Peter shook his head, taking off his guard's cap and tapping on the spider pendant, the nanotech coming to life like a second skin. “We don’t have time, I will carry her. We have to go!” He said, the panic now coming to his face. With one swoop he picked the woman up while Hope shrunk. He was quick, sprinting out of the hallway and up the stairs, trying to find the exit as fast as possible. When he came out of the stairwell there were 8 heavily armored men, his panic quickly rising. “Lang its time to bring out the escape plan!” He shouted, dodging bullets as his grip on the girl tightened.

Hope made quick work of the guards, and Peter shot some explosive webs at the wall, blasting a hole to the outside. “Lang! Where the fuck are-”

“Are you looking for a way to escape?” The voice of Fury came over the headpiece, and to Parker’s relief, a small helicopter was hovering up on the hill.

“Oh thank god, I did not have a plan ready at all” Lang said, speeding by on Antonio.

Peter sighed and looked down at the girl in his arms. “Hold on tight” He whispered before he adjusted his grip and raised his arm, his web-shooting towards the top of the guard tower. He swung from building to building until he soared over the fence. He landed on the hill and began to run determined for nothing to get in his way. That was until the sharp sting radiated through his calf. “Oh come on” He groaned, extending his hand and shooting his ammo back at the man who shot him, quickly taking him out.

“Pete, you alright?” Hope asked as he stumbled onto the helicopter.

“I am fine just get us out of here!” He shouted, placing the girl he was carrying down on a seat before collapsing down onto the ground.

Lang grabbed the pilot's seat and quickly made work of taking off, despite the bullets raining on them. Hope was tending to Peter, the bullet lodged in his calf had to come out. “So Peter, you never told me. What's your favorite color?” Peter never had time to answer, the pain that came from Hope ripping the bullet out was enough to knock him out cold.

Peter woke up in the medbay a week later, the big man standing over him. “Hey! Look who’s awake!” Hulk said, smiling as Peter began to get up. “You took quite a tumble there, you should rest,” Hulk said, but of course Peter didn’t listen.

“Take me to the girl.” Was the only thing he said.

-----

Captain, Falcon, and Bucky had all headed out a week after Peter and his crew headed out, but nothing was heard of them for three weeks after Peter got back. The team quickly settled Aurora into a simple routine and let her open up to them little by little. Their days would start with breakfast and a walk around the grounds, before doing a bit of light training. Peter didn’t want to push her too hard, she seemed so delicate to him. A little white flower in a field of ash. He would let her do her own thing as she settled in, and as she slowly came around he would increase the training and trying to understand her power and where she came from. But it was never rushed, he wouldn’t rush his flower. “Jarvis, locate Aurora, she is late for combat today,” He said, pacing back and forth. His nerves were frayed, he had tried to contact Cap, Bucky, and Falcon so many times but all he got back was radio silence.

“It appears she is in the green room,” Jarvis responded. Peter scoffed, of course, she was. He often spent time in that room when he needed to clear his head, so he could understand the appeal. It was a room that was transformed into a greenhouse, housing plants and butterflies from all over the earth, and a few from other galaxies. It was supposed to be a room for Scott and Hope to train, but it slowly evolved into the one peaceful room they had left.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Peter asked as he came into the green room. The girl he had saved was sitting in the middle of the room on a bench, seemingly deep into her thoughts. He slowly made his way over towards her, sitting down next to her. Peter glanced at Aurora, waiting for her response. He knew even though it had been a month since she first came to the facility, it still had to be hard for her to get used to everything new happening. He was glad that she was settling in well, and seeming to enjoy the company she had. “You know, you still haven’t even met-” he was cut off by the sound of a large crash coming from the adjacent room, which happened to be the main entrance to the facility. After the loud crash came a scream, and within an instant he was on his feet, his right hand slowly reaching towards his necklace, which held the nanotech for his suit. “Stay here,” he said, quickly making his way out to the other room. Nothing could have prepared him for the sight he saw.

Someone had gotten tossed through the large windows that lined the room. Glass shards were scattered everywhere, and in the dead center was Bucky with Scott next to him. “Bucky?” Peter said, quickly making his way towards the man. The half of Bucky that wasn’t metal was burned, the skin lifting at the seams and peeling off, some of it charred beyond recognition. “Jarvis setup Medbay 1, Hulk get down here and take Bucky to the medbay. Start working on healing his skin.” Peter grimaced as he took a knee, looking at the man. “What happened?” He whispered, his eyes focusing on Buckys.

“Doesn’t matter kid. You have more incoming” The man hissed. Hulk had gotten there quicker than expected and he grabbed the man, bringing him to the medbay. Thankfully with all the time they had after the battle, they were able to advance the medbay to have healing centers that worked autonomously.

Peter got up and looked outside, his eyes going wide at the sight. A brunette girl was being dragged in, with Captain and Falcon on either side of her. She had a huge bloodstain on her abdomen, with blood coming out of her mouth and crusting over her face. She was spitting kicking, doing quite literally anything to get the men off of her. He could hear her screams coming from a mile away. Peter was about to step out to help them bring her in when he felt another presence. He spun on his heel to face Aurora, who now stood in the corner of the room. “I told you to stay ba--” Peter was cut off by Cap and Falcon walking in, the girl still struggling against them. Once she was in the building she seemed to stop, taking in her surroundings for a millisecond. Peter turned towards her and held his hands up in mock surrender. “Listen I know you’re scared but we are not here to hurt-”

“Go fuck yourself” The woman spat out, spitting a clump of blood at the man. “I will kill you all! You’re all dead!” Her head whipped over towards Scott, who let out a scoff. “Do you think I am a joke?” She screamed, her eyes narrowing at him.

“Listen, sweetheart, we are the Aveng-” Scott was cut off by the sudden inability to breathe. He grabbed for his throat as he fell to his knees, unable to keep the air in his lungs for more than a few seconds. Eventually, he slumped over, his body folding like paper in front of them. Hope, who had just come into the room to see what the yelling was all about, rushed over towards him, her glare enough to cut steel. “This won’t get you anywhere! He didn’t do anything, let him go.” She said, her hand searching for a pulse on Scott who had since gone quiet.

Kailyn smirked, she knew how to make a diversion. She quickly twisted herself out of the loosened grasp and backed away, her hands in fists by her sides. One of her hands seemed to light up like a fireball, the other reached towards the fountain and a spiral of water came over towards her before sharpening into an ice dagger. “Who’s next?” She laughed, her eyes filled with mania. She was dizzy from using her power for so long, and her movements were staggered as she tried to size everyone in the room up. The group had slowly made a circle around her, making her feel more and more trapped with the growing seconds. Kailyn looked for an exit out of the circle, and that's when she saw the girl in the corner. A smirk rose to her lips as she raised her arm and released the dagger in her direction, only for it to be stopped by a web. The man with the webs slid in front of her view of the girl, with the rest of the circle moving in closer to incase her.

“We do not want to hurt you,” Peter said, his voice even and calm. “I will explain everything, just put the fire out.” He said, studying the girl. She was not meant for fighting, her shaking stance told him as much. She was trembling in fear as the group closed in, searching for an exit like a wounded dog.

“You want me to put the fire out?” She yelled, lunging towards Peter. She had only gotten halfway when she felt a familiar jab to her neck and she was out cold.

“You had that the whole time and didn’t use it?” Hope said, her bewilderment clear on her face.

“What can I say? I like to keep things interesting” Sam muttered, grabbing the girl and bringing her down to a cell.

-

The sun was what woke Kailyn first. It took a few moments for her to blink herself awake, and she jolted awake once she realized she was not in her bed. She was in a circular cell that had a bed in it and nothing else. She looked down to see she had on a t-shirt with an A on it, and some black leggings on. Not the clothes she came with. Before the girl had a chance to comprehend everything a familiar figure came into the room, followed by a few others.

“What do you want from me?” She asked, her voice breaking as she backed herself away from them until she couldn’t anymore. She was frantically searching for a way out as her back pressed against the glass cell wall. There was nowhere to go, nowhere to hide. It was her nightmare.

Aurora Johnson looked up from picking at her fingernails when she heard footsteps hitting the hard metal of the laboratory building’s floors. The whole place reminded her of a cross between a prison and a hospital. It didn’t exactly bring back fond memories either. But there wasn’t much she could do about her presence here now. She’d tried everything to get her powers to reignite, but nothing worked. One day, in an effort to try to arm herself against the next time they retrieved her, Aurora had strained so hard that she’d passed out from exhaustion. Her hope was dwindling dangerously low - she didn’t have much will-power left to fight the doctor’s experiments or to steel herself against the pain of his injections.

She stood up when the footsteps stopped, having become louder as seconds ticked on.

“Subject 4, the doctor wants to see you in the lab.”

Subject 4. That was her name here.

A man in a pristine white coat had unlocked her room door and stepped inside, though she noticed that he was cautious not to approach her quite yet. Everyone in the facility seemed to be awaiting the return of her powers, but Aurora wasn’t quite sure why. If and when she did get them back, there would be hell to pay. Of that, she was one hundred percent sure. Doctor Newcombe was going to pay, with his life, for what he’d done to her and her brother, Casen. Aurora had vowed that she’d kill him after Casen had been taken and killed by the very corporation that had given him his powers in the first place. It seemed like a waste, even to her, but it didn’t take a genius to figure out that they couldn’t exactly control either of the siblings with ease. The only question that remained in her mind was, why were they trying so hard with her? Why hadn’t they just killed her already?

Aurora didn’t respond to the man, but she didn’t make a move forward either, which forced him to approach her. She tried, just like the other times, to cause anything to happen willfully, but the only movement was one of her pillows tumbling to the floor before the lab assistant had nodded to the usual guards to take her downstairs.

---

“It seems that your DNA is resisting any further changes, almost like it has reached its potential for mutation,” the doctor mumbled to himself, while Aurora fought against the metal restraints binding her arms and legs to a steel examination table.

“Well you’ve managed to screw it up enough already, I probably can’t be broken into any more pieces.” Aurora thought she saw a flash of remorse cross over the doctor’s gaze, but she shook the thought away. Before all of this, she’d tried to see the best in people, almost to a fault. That trait was apparently still embedded into her, but she refused to let it apply to Doctor Newcombe.

Somehow, despite the doctor’s thoughts, she knew that he wasn’t going to give up. He wasn’t that kind of man. His persistence was probably her only saving grace, although she was beginning to think that it would be better for him to just put her out of her misery. With her brother gone, what else did she have?

The liquid inside of the syringe was tinged a teal color this time. Aurora struggled harder the closer it got to her skin, but it was only seconds before the burning started. This time, however, it set her whole body and mind on fire. She screamed in agony, realizing quite quickly that her heart rate was slowing. As her mind started to slowly go foggy, she realized that he was killing her, whether he actually meant to or not.

Through her screams and haze, Aurora thought she’d heard Dr. Newcombe mutter, “Such a waste of time and resources. I had hoped you’d regain your abilities, but just like your brother, you’re too weak.”

His last statement managed to get her attention and she jerked her arm as much as she could. The metal bit into her skin, but that pain was incredibly minimal when compared to the pain from the serum. She’d gotten a small amount of satisfaction from the doctor’s frustrated sound as she’d caused him to lose control of the syringe.

“Don’t you dare talk about him. You’re nothing but a murdering lunatic,” Aurora spat while biting back another scream as more fire ignited within her body.

“This was my last resort,” he continued while pushing a little more of the thick liquid into her veins. He then spoke a little louder, which told Aurora that he was narrating his observations for a recording device. “Subject 4’s vitals are slowing. The serum was unsuccessful for power regeneration or further improvements to DNA mutation at this time.”

Panic had initially set into her chest. She was about to die. But after a few moments, Aurora realized that the peace of death would be a wonderful reprieve from the torture of being held in the lab. After all the experiments and abuse, she’d finally be free. It was almost comical - Dr. Newcombe had worked so hard for so long only to have both of his prized subjects fail because of his greed and constant need for validation in his work.

“How does it feel to know you failed?” Aurora asked with a small smirk. This would have to be her revenge, so she was going to milk it for all it was worth until her last breath.

Dr. Newcombe ignored her, looking back up to her vitals and checking her pupils with a flashlight, but she could tell that her words had gotten to him by the way his jaw was tensed. Suddenly, though, a knock sounded and Dr. Newcombe went over to the door and disappeared. She'd expected him to come back to finish injecting the syringe, but after some time had passed, she realized that he must have gotten distracted by something important.

The restraints kept her from seeing much, but she heard a bit of a scuffle ensued before an unfamiliar woman appeared. There was also a man with her, and Aurora’s green eyes flashed over to him as the woman, Hope, helped her from the examination table.

And despite her wildest dreams, she escaped. In fact, she almost thought it might be a dream. Her mind was still foggy, so she could barely process anything that happened, including how exactly they’d gotten out of the corporation facility. All she really remembered solidly was the feeling of someone carrying her – the feeling of finally being safe. It wouldn’t be until later that Peter would explain to her what had happened, after Banner had successfully filtered the poison out of her blood.

---

Steve Rogers should have been comfortable in the peace that followed Thanos’ defeat. And he was, in a way, but not completely. There was always something in the back of his mind that told him to be alert. He couldn’t shake it. Steve had been fighting since the war and, with the exception of 70 years in the ice, he hadn’t had much of a break. So not fighting was, understandably, odd and a bit suspicious. He wanted to be more of a help to Peter in running the facility and the Avengers team, but Stark had entrusted it to him for a good reason, so he tried his best to allow Peter to learn the ropes himself, make mistakes, and learn from them. Steve only stepped in when he felt like it was needed and he was comfortable with that responsibility. It was time for a new generation of Avengers to begin to rise to the leadership roles and Peter was a good man.

They all should have known that the peace wouldn’t last, but Steve could tell that they were all either wishing that it would or yearning from some kind of action. Or perhaps it was a mixture of both. He wasn’t sure which one applied to him. Either way, they got the action in the form of “metahumans.” Most of them had seen so much crazy shit by this point that nothing surprised them, but they were completely unsure about how to handle these criminals and more importantly, how to bring them in. Nothing was working until Fury stepped in, sending them on a mission after perhaps one of the most dangerous ones.

They’d waited outside of a bank in the city. Recent intelligence told them that this was one that she hadn’t hit yet and it fit her MO, so they chanced it. And for once lately, their luck struck.

Steve had seen what she could do and each of them knew that their best bet was the element of surprise, so with Sam from the air and Steve and Bucky on either side of her, they managed to make a grab for her.

---

It had been about a month since Aurora had arrived at the Avenger’s facility. Everything was still so new and there were days that she truly believed that she may be dead or dreaming. For the most part, she was allowed to explore and spend her free time as she pleased, which was a surprise. She was used to being locked up and people being scared of her, but no one seemed frightened here. In fact, she felt like she was home, which was a scary thought. And it was also why she was currently in the Green Room instead of at her training session with Peter. They’d been working on basic combat skills while Banner investigated her DNA and exactly how her abilities presented. Aurora really enjoyed her time with Peter. Under different circumstances, she might be obsessing over their growing friendship, but something stopped her from pursuing the thoughts. He was attractive, sure – that was an obvious notion that had popped into her haze of thoughts when he’d rescued her from the lab. But she was just a pathetic girl that had serious issues and, for all she knew, Peter saw her as nothing more that a babysitting job.

Aurora looked up as the very object of her thoughts entered the room. She gave him a customary smile as greeting, but it didn’t quite touch her eyes. “Just needed some time to think,” she said with a small shrug. Aurora might have ventured to elaborate some, but she wasn’t exactly given the choice when a commotion shook the compound. Peter told her to stay put, but she was a little too stubborn and curious to follow that instruction.

Turns out, however, that she should have. A strange girl, looking beaten down in more ways than one, was there.

---

The woman fought them the entire way. Both Steve and Bucky had enhanced strength, but their holds slipped occasionally and there were times when he thought she might break free. She had spirit, he had to give her that, even if it came in the form of pure rage.

“Damn it,” Steve exclaimed as she managed to cause Bucky to go flying with a large ball of fire scorching his body as he slammed through the window of the Avengers building. “Sam! A little help here!” he said, struggling to keep her detained single-handedly.

Falcon came over immediately to take up the slack as they entered the building and all hell broke loose. Each of them stepped forward as the woman attempted to attack Aurora, but Peter, unsurprisingly, beat Steve to it, placing his body firmly in front of the girls’.

In their defense, they tried the calm approach, but even he could tell that she wasn’t going to listen. It honestly reminded him of how Bucky acted as the Winter Soldier. It didn’t exactly bring back pleasant memories.

When Sam tranquilized the woman, everyone looked both taken back and displeased. “Seriously, man? Someone could have gotten hurt,” Steve complained, just before the girl was dragged to a holding cell. He wasn’t sure that it would be enough to hold her, so he made sure that they used Stark’s power suppression technology to keep her from melting the bars or causing destruction of the entire facility.

---

Once everything had calmed down some and medical attention had been given to Bucky, they agreed to go down to talk to the “prisoner.” Steve didn’t care for that word, but that was really what they were treating her like. And maybe she deserved it, but he wasn’t so sure of that when he saw the terrified look on her face. Still, he squared his shoulders and took the lead on this interrogation, or whatever it was supposed to be.

“Your surrender. The destruction and killing stops now,” Steve said, his voice not leaving any room for argument, “You come willingly or we’ll have no choice but to take out the threat ourselves. You’re obviously too dangerous for us to ignore.”

“Did you really think that you could do all of that violence and murder and not face any consequences?” Sam chimed in, obviously not quite understanding her motive. She was the daughter to a rich family. What could she possibly gain for all of this?

---

“I know we have a pretty big problem locked up in the facility as we speak, but I think I may have figured out why your powers aren’t manifesting,” Banner said to Aurora a bit excitedly. It seemed that everyone had been anticipating her being able to control her abilities and show everyone exactly what she could do.

“I’m listening,” Aurora said softly, deciding to indulge him.

“I’ve been reading up on your files and I think it’s emotions. You simply have an emotional block and you need something, or someone, to break through that. Your brother’s death caused your brain to shut down. Essentially, it was your body’s way of protecting itself from any further trauma. We need to bring those emotions to the forefront – frustration, grief, guilt, love. Anything, really. If we can do that, then it would be a matter of honing in on those emotions and controlling them – focusing them into fuel for your abilities.”

“So you want to make me feel again,” Aurora said, the doubt obvious in her voice, “And who would you suggest would be able to do that?”

“There’s only one person in this facility that I think could do it,” Banner said, the implication evident. And Aurora knew exactly who he was talking about.

Kailyn looked at the two men, a small smirk coming to her face. “Surrender? Now I can’t say that’s in my vocabulary, Captain.” She practically spit out her words, the anger flashing in her eyes for a moment as she contemplated her situation. “But seeing as you boys already have me here, might as well get the most of it.” Her smirk only grew as her confidence grew, her back straightening out a bit as she adjusted herself. “Take out the threat? Oh boy Captain, don’t you think I have tried to do it? I have tried to take myself out. I have tried. I woke up and my body was healed as if nothing had happened. You are nothing.” She rested her head against the glass wall, her eyes shutting for a moment. “The bullet you put in me yesterday is gone” She muttered, lifting her shirt up to reveal the now semi healed hole in her side. There was severe bruising, and even a hand mark, but the hole that existed the night before was now gone.. “So I dare you, Captain, try to end me. It will be fun to watch you try.” She chucked for a moment, her glance shifting from Rogers to Sam, a small tear falling down her cheek. “I don’t regret anything I did. The men who died did so for a reason, and I could have finished the job had you not shown up.”

Sam rolled his eyes “Is that so? And what did they do to deserve to die?”

Kailyn looked up, her eyes lighting up with a bit of humor. “Really think I would give up information so easily? Come on, would that be any fun?” Her laugh filled the room as she glanced away from them. She knew what was meant for her now. They would experiment on her, torture her, and then kill her. She was sure of it. She frowned as the two men seemed to get some sort of message that she couldn’t hear. A moment later Peter walked through the door, a pair of cuffs in his hands. “Ah well if it isn’t the prodigy of Stark! It is a true honor” Kailyn mused, just trying to get a reaction out of him.

Peter clenched his jaw for a moment. “Get up and turn around.” He said, not letting his own fear show. She was one of the biggest threats since Thanos and he had to do this right. He gave the cuffs to Sam and motioned for him to cuff her.

Sam got up and went into the cell, pressing Kailyn against the wall as he placed the cuffs on her. “Oh come on take me to dinner first,” The woman said, her amusement rolling off of her shoulders, and Sam roughly turned her around. Peter motioned to Rogers to help Sam out in case she tried to run and began to walk out towards the lab. “Do I get to know anything that’s going on? Are we going to go have some fun? Come on can’t anyone just give me a clue?” She grunted as Sam planted a sharp elbow to her side, the amount of pain she felt from him hitting her wound made her world spin. She walked the rest of the way in silence before being shuffled into a lab with the Hulk, the same girl she had tried to kill the day before, and a very angry looking Hope.

She was placed on the lab table and cuffed to it, her gaze shifting towards Peter who was standing by the girl in the corner. “I apologize for yesterday,” She said her expression genuine. “Honestly out of all of these people I would rather face the frail little-” She was silenced by Hope who jammed a needle into her arm, drawing blood before handing it off to Hulk. The cry that came from her mouth even shocked the metahuman, but Hope was not gentle with the needle.

As Hulk began to go over the sample, Peter took Aurora to the side, glancing back at the meta before speaking. “You don’t have to be here for this, we just need to figure out how she can do what she can do, and what her abilities are. We will be done shortly.” He muttered, looking for a response from the girl. When she finally spoke he just nodded, he figured she would be too stubborn to leave. “Of course, if anything upsets you, just go take some space.” He said, a smile crossing his face.

Peter turned back towards the meta, he had questions that needed answers and while Hulk was doing his thing he motioned for Sam and Captain to do their thing. He stayed back with Aurora, muttering to her what was going on as Sam and Captain went through their rounds of questions. But instead of actually getting answers, the girl remained dead silent. Maybe it was the chains that held her to the table, or maybe it was the overwhelming amount of people in the room, either way she was not speaking.

Another woman walked into the room, her face expressionless and cold as she went towards the girl. Peter looked over at Aurora “That is Becca, Fury sent her over. She is the top biotechnologist in the globe.” He muttered, trying to keep an eye on everything at once. Without saying anything, she began to draw the girl’s blood, working quickly and carefully. She put a drop of the blood she’d drawn between two small, clear tabs, and under a microscope. Another drop went onto a paper towel, and the rest was placed into a processor.

Next, she clicked on a light with one hand and used the other to open the girl’s eye wide, peering into it. She saw what she usually saw in the eyes of people with powers. In the white part of the eye, there was small, colored particles, so faint that you wouldn’t be able to see it unless you were looking for it. Except, most people’s colored particles were only one color. This girl had four. Green, cream, blue, and red. And, they moved differently than everyone else’s. Most people’s moved straight. Hers moved all over the place, some straight, some wavy, some zigzag. In a word, they weren’t stable.

Becca clicked off the light, before setting it on the lab table. She nodded to herself, before looking at the results the processor had come up with. Four powers. That made sense, considering the four colors of particles found in Kailyn’s eyes. But what human being, no matter how well their body was able to withstand things, was capable of holding four genres of powers inside of them? Becca turned to look at Kailyn, a thoughtful look on her face as she gazed at the girl.

“What is it?” Sam asked, but Becca looked at Kailyn for a few more moments before she answered.

“I’ll give you the news when I'm finished,” Was all she replied with, before looking at the processor again. The girl’s DNA had obviously had a genetic change in sequence, a mutation that allowed her to develop powers, but that wasn't all. Her physical endurance had grown quite a bit too, as had the white blood cells’ strength. The power of her immune system, muscular system, endocrine system- hell, all of her systems- had been heightened greatly. She wasn't some mutant on the streets, obviously, judging by the fact that she held four genres of abilities, but she was more than even that.

Becca looked at the blood on the paper towel. It still hadn’t dried yet. With one of her gloved hands, she touched it, and immediately felt it go from liquid, to jelly like, to solid as a rock. Her brow furrowed. The hell? she thought, and raised an eyebrow. She slid the microscope over to look at the blood closer, and what she saw was practically the same as what she’d found in Kailyn’s eye. Particles moving everywhere. But then, something different happened. A green and red particle fused together. That was another thing Becca had never seen before- how was that even possible?

“Come on do you have any information?” Sam asked again, his impatience clear as day.

At Sam’s question, Becca sighed, pushing her glasses up again. “Let’s take this outside, shall we?” She waited for the entire group to shuffle out of the lab and out of hearing from the meta before she spoke. “Well, she has four different powers. Or, no, not powers. Power genres. Earth, Air, Fire, Water. She’s only had them for a couple of months, so they aren’t as well developed as they could be. She doesn't know all of the possibilities of what she could do- and before you ask, I have no idea what they could be. But with the powers she was dealt with, I can say that the possibilities of what she could do with them are, well, endless.”

Peter nodded, “Is there any-”

“Anything else? Yes. That might not seem like a problem to you, not yet, but there is something else that may emphasize how strong she is.” Becca let out a breath and closed her eyes before going on, “All of her body systems have been heightened. They function more perfectly than before, by a lot. Her hand to hand combat skills are probably much better than before, and she's like, a million times stronger. Basically, she has the abilities of a Super Soldier, but if she had taken the serum ten times.” Becca’s eyes wandered over to Steve. “Basically, ten you’s without powers. Except, she has them, and that makes her all the more dangerous.”

Peter gulped and looked at Steve and the rest of the group. “We need her on our side then. We can use her to understand the meta’s, and have her help fight with us.”

“Are you crazy?” Sam said, his voice rising. “Did you see what she did? She almost killed our idiot!”

“Don’t call Lang an idiot” Hope snapped back, sparking the argument all over again. This new group was not as functional as the old group.

In their time of arguing back and forth, nobody had managed to see the door to the lab open and close, and the girl walkout from the lab. Kailyn came up behind Hulk, the cuffs still on her hands as she tapped him. “What are we all argui-” She didn’t even have time to register before he punched her, sending her flying back into the glass wall of the infirmary that was across from the lab.

The girl groaned, holding her side as red began to seep out once more. She could hear the chuckle coming from a man behind her, the one she had burned last night.

“I call that payback” Bucky laughed, watching the girl groan on the floor in front of him.

The woman’s words honestly broke his heart a little. Steve knew that she was a killer and she probably didn’t deserve his sympathy, but he wasn’t the type of man to jump to conclusions based on someone’s actions, no matter how bad they were. There was always a reason - a motive. It didn’t excuse what she’d done, but it at least would paint a better picture of what her thought process was and what exactly had drove a girl like this to such anger and resentment filled rage.

When Peter entered with the handcuffs, he knew that they wouldn’t get anything else out of her here. Steve ran a hand over his face, trying to tune out her retorts as he turned away. He didn’t enjoy seeing someone locked up and interrogated. He didn’t revel in the fact that this woman had tried to kill herself without success. When Steve had looked into her eyes, he’d seen a scared, extremely pained individual trying to claw her way out to no avail. But he couldn’t tell his comrades this. No yet, at least. Tensions were too high and she had pissed too many people off so far.

Once in Banner’s lab, Steve originally took his usual spot of leaning against one of the walls nearby. He was somewhat familiar with genetic experimentation. He’d been a human experiment himself, but Steve realized that times and technology were ever-changing. There was always bound to be new genetic mutations that were discovered and he had the sickening feeling that this was one of those cases, but on an extreme level.

Aurora felt like this really wasn’t her place to be, but she couldn’t help but to stare at the girl as she was strapped to an examination table. She remembered what they had felt like. The helplessness, the panic. She wouldn’t wish that on anyone, but she knew that this was necessary to understand the woman’s powers. It wasn’t like she’d give up her DNA willingly, judging from the amount of fight that she’d put up.
Peter practically insisted that she shouldn’t be here to see all of this. Yes - it was triggering for her, but she was too stubborn and curious for her own good. “I’m fine,” she assured him before turning her attention back to what was happening.

Once they had a blood sample, Banner took to analyzing it while he approached the examination table with Sam.

“What happened to you?” Steve asked, though he got no reply.

“Oh, now you decide to be quiet. Figures,” Sam scoffed, clearly already fed up with this girl.

Steve ignored his sarcasm and continued, trying out a different approach, “You’re in such pain. Why won’t you tell us what happened? Maybe we can help you.”

Still no answer.

The men stepped away when Fury’s biotechnologist appeared, silently and efficiently take the reins while Banner continued to break down the blood sample’s DNA components.

“Aurora, may I?” Banner asked, approaching her with a fresh needle, “I want a comparison to see if there are any similarities.”

To say the least, Aurora hated needles. She’d been subjected to them enough, but that history didn’t make them a pleasant experience. So she hesitated, looking to Peter for something that she wasn’t even sure of before holding up her arm in consent and squinting her eyes closed.

——

Becca’s findings were harrowing, to say the least. Steve now realized just how exhausted she had to be for the three men to be able to apprehend her successfully. Otherwise, she surely would have been able to overpower them with ease.

“She would be a great asset, that’s for sure, but she’s incredibly unstable,” Steve added to the discussion when Peter suggested that they sway her to their side.

“You want her on your side, but there’s no sure chance of that. You need a plan B,” Aurora spoke up, shocking everyone. She barely ever talked, except to Peter. “I know how it feels to be trapped and you’re basically dealing with a caged animal right now. If you want her on your side, you have to gain her trust, but you’d need something to help balance the risk.”

“She’s like ten Steves packed into half his body size. What could balance the risk?” Sam questioned.

Steve looked over at Aurora and nodded, “Not what. Who.”

“Banner has been going through my files and he thinks he’s figured out how to reactivate my powers, but I need help and some time,” she explained. Aurora hadn’t revealed the true extent of her powers to anyone yet, though she was sure that Banner had figured it out. “I can control everything she can. Water is the only problem because that was my brother’s specialty. Any mass particle, anything with atoms. With the right focus and motivation, I can manipulate it. She has the physical advantage, but I wouldn’t need to come close to her.”

No one could be certain if the woman had heard Aurora’s words or not, but a few moments later, she was being flown into the infirmary class. Everyone jumped in surprise and Steve jumped into action, running over to the girl. If they wanted her on their side, she’d be no use to them dead. Plus, he wasn’t sure what she was going to do next. She was like a lose canon, so he stood a few feet back and asked, “Are you okay?”

Kailyn groaned, her ears still ringing as that same familiar figure came up to her. “I just got punched in the everything by the guy with hands the size of a fucking horse, how do you think I am doing right now?” She blinked her eyes open, brushing off the glass and picking it out of her skin. It only took her a moment to realize, in the moment of chaos the cuffs that once suppressed her power had broken. That same smile crossed her face, but this time it wasn’t out of evil intentions. The meta was tired, too tired to fight anymore. She was outnumbered and weak, and she knew that. She was shaking as she got up, the cuffs falling to the side as she finally looked the man in the eye.

The crowd behind Steve seemed to be on edge, every pair of eyes were looking at the handcuffs that were now on the floor by the girls’ feet. Kailyn opened her mouth to speak when she felt a metal hand clasp down onto her shoulder. If someone was studying close enough they might have been able to see her shrink away from the physical touch, but she quickly hid her fear behind the thick wall she kept up. “I like her.” Bucky said, giving the girl a slight smile before he stepped over the glass and walked past the group, headed towards the kitchen.

“Is that seriously what just happened?” Hope muttered

“We need to discuss some things,” Peter said, his eyes never leaving the girl as he shifted his body to put Aurora behind him.

“Hate to tell you but my schedule is booked today.” Kailyn spat back, her eyes darting towards the exit. She took a step towards the exit, ready to make a run for it. When she went to pick up her foot it was stuck to the ground, and before she knew what was happening the webs encased her legs. “What about trust?” She snickered, shaking her head. He had left her hands free, that was a mistake. “Fine do you want to talk?” She said, the gleam in her eyes reflecting mischief instead of rage “Then let’s talk.” The cart full of saline bags that were in the corner of the infirmary rolled towards her, the bags bursting all at once. With a small wave of her fingertips, she used a burst of air to bring Peter forward away from the group. As he was still disorientated from the movement she used the water from the saline and froze his feet into the ground, putting him in the same position she was.

Peter was confused for a moment as he took a second to figure out what had happened. He could usually sense someone moving a mile away but she was undetectable. He shook his head before speaking “We don’t want to hurt you and you know that. You have every agent in the country looking for you. I am going to offer you a safe haven here. There will be no destruction or intentional harm to others. Except maybe Lang.” He threw the last part in there to see how she would react, and the small smile on her face gave him all the information he needed. “In exchange, you will work with us, train with us, and eventually help the team if you agree to it.”

Kailyn took a moment to mull over her decisions before responding. “And if I don’t?”

Peter scoffed. “If you choose to leave this facility you must know there is a bullet lodged in your abdomen. It contains a tracker and a bomb or poison I can’t truly remember. Either way, you will be dead before you reach the door, and I would hate to have to find out which one that is. Plus I am sure Fury will have some friends who are looking for you at the FBI. Everyone wants to bring you in with that multimillion-dollar bounty on your head.” He had gotten the reaction he wanted out of her, her eyes widened for a brief moment as her hand went to her abdomen, the fear in her face sweeping over her in waves.

Kailyn finally spoke, the dread in her voice making her talk in just a whisper. “Fine,” She said, her hands held up in mock surrender. The webs around her dissolved and the ice that encased Peter melted away. The girl remained quiet as the man spoke again. “I placed your room next to Captain, should you need anything. We usually have meals together at night should you care to join. We will start training tomorrow morning.” Peter turned to the rest of the group who stood in shock of what had happened. “You are all dismissed,” he said, motioning for Aurora to join him. He placed Aurora’s room near his room so he could watch her, and the same for the meta and Cap. “We will continue your training tomorrow,” He said to Aurora. “See if you can reach out to her and get any sort of information from her. I have to go see Fury but I will be back by dinner. Save me a spot” He winked at her before disappearing into the garage. He had to leave for 6 hours, what could go wrong?

The girl stood there for a moment, watching the group disperse in front of her. The glare from Sam did not go unnoticed, but she ignored it for a while. She began to follow Rogers and went up a set of stairs and down a hallway before stopping in front of a door. There were only two doors in the hallway, one on each side. She opened the door and looked around the room, her breath catching in her chest. It was a quaint room, a small sitting area in the front with the bed placed against the back wall. She walked over towards the bed, her hand delicately touching the sheets as if she would break them. “It’s been so long since I have had a bed” she mused, her eyes taking in the monochromatic sheets. She liked it.

Kailyn looked up, her eyes resting on Steve. “Are you just going to stand there, gawking?” She whispered, the hint of a smile tugging at her lips as she studied his figure in the door.

Last edited:
Steve stepped back and let Peter speak with her. He'd proven that he could handle himself, so Steve wasn't going to bombard Kailyn anymore than she already had been. Everyone took a step forward when she froze Peter into place, but as the events unfolded, Steve relaxed. Aurora, however, did not.

She held her head as a sudden energy headache hit her. Aurora had experienced these before, but it had been months since the last one. Banner gave her a curious look, but it was laced with a certain amount of knowing. He was convinced that he was right and the emotion that Aurora was feeling in this moment was of a protective nature. She was concerned, which only confirmed his suspicions.

Aurora looked over to Banner as the headache began to recede once Peter was released and some of the tension had left the room, but she didn't have the time to discuss what had just happened with him before Peter was urging her to follow him. He told her that they'd train tomorrow and she frowned slightly when he mentioned that he'd be gone until dinner. However, her mood shifted when he winked at her and turned on his heel. "Uhm, yeah...sure," she practically stuttered out, not even sure if he'd heard her.

----

Steve watched Kailyn while leaning against the door frame, raising his eyebrows at her whispered words. It wasn't that he was surprised - he'd quickly learned not to be surprised by anything that came out of the woman's mouth. He was more so embarrassed because he hadn't thought about the impoliteness and awkwardness that came along with staring at someone.

"I'm making sure you don't try to jump out of a window or choke anyone to death. You can't really blame me, considering your track record," he replied, trying to play it off. "Get used to the stares, because I'm sure everyone is waiting for you to fly off the handle, even if Peter has offered you an olive branch of sorts." Steve figured he may as well be honest with her. If she wanted to belong here at all, she'd make an effort to smooth things over, and that honestly started with just not causing any chaos to ensue. For his own sake and the others, he hoped that they were right about this.

Aurora approached slowly, trying to gauge the situation as best she could. If Captain was here and relatively calm, then the situation much be low threat. "Aurora," Steve greeted, suddenly thankful for her timely interruption.

He really had to work on his social skills.

"Captain," she greeted back in the same way before peering into the bedroom from the doorway. "Can I talk to her? I think she could do with a little less testosterone-filled silence, metal cuffs, and webbing," Aurora joked slightly before looking over to Kailyn, "I don't have any of those."

Taking the opportunity to enter the room, she examined Kailyn's face. She seemed...surprised. But not in a bad way. It took a moment, but Aurora recognized it to be the same look she'd probably had when she first got here.

"It's a lot to take in," she said, "When I first got here a month ago, I was in the medical bay for a while. But then Peter gave me the room next to his, which looks really similar to this one. I haven't ventured to decorate or anything. I wouldn't even know how, really." Aurora stepped inside further, noticing that Steve had slipped away, giving the girls time to talk. He didn't go far, though, just in case something happened. Peter would never forgive him if he left Aurora unsupervised with the metahuman and she hurt her.

"I know it all might seem too good to be true right now, but Peter isn't lying. He's a good man. You'd be safe here and taken care of."

She was aware that she was more or less trying to convince Kailyn to stay peacefully. They needed her on their side because the alternative was just too dangerous, but Aurora also found herself drawn to this girl. She felt like she could connect with her on some level that no one else in the facility could. And maybe, just maybe, she could use that to her advantage.

The metahuman huffed for a moment at Steve’s words, her ego hurt only slightly. “So you are now what, my personal guard? I may have been transferred from that prison cell up to this room Captain but if you intend on keeping me a prisoner under your watch then I will make your life a living nightmare. Now I will tell you once and only once to back off.” She said, her eyes slowly narrowing at the man. She thought she had grown to like him, but he was clearly like the rest. She was about to indulge a bit more when his gaze shifted toward’s the corridor. She had a visitor.

The meta turned her back towards the door, not wanting to chat with another higher-up male in the group. “Who is here to berate me now?” She asked, keeping her back towards Steve. She would rather face the wall than face him, or anyone else. She was about to tell the person off when she heard the female voice. Her figure melted instantly, the tense shoulders relaxing as she slowly turned to face the girl standing in the doorway.

“You know” the meta mused, “I normally don’t have people that I have tried to kill eagerly come talk to me after.” she took a moment to think, relaxing a bit more when Steve completely disappeared. She knew he was still closeby, but she had plans to change that. She listened to the girls’ words, pacing back and forth as she spoke. “You don’t have to convince me to stay,” She said softly, her eyes finding Aurora’s. “I have nowhere else to go. Nothing left out there you know?” A sad smile tugged at her lips but the meta quickly brushed it off, trying not to show too much emotion. She didn’t trust a soul inside this building enough to share anything yet.

The sadness fell off of her like a blanket as the girl seemed to straighten up with a new idea. “I can’t take it in here anymore. Let’s go outside” She said, her eyes filling with excitement. To be back with nature was as if to be back at home to her, the elements filling her in ways she couldn’t even describe. Kailyn sensed some hesitation in Aurora, and she rolled her eyes as she took the girl by the wrist, walking out of the room and closing the door with a brief movement of air. She dropped the girls wrist as she walked down the hallway, letting out a small chuckle as she rounded to corner to see Rodgers standing there. “Didn’t move too far I see. I thought you would have been the one in here with manners. ” She said, playfully placing her hand on his chest. She pushed him into the wall slightly trying to take him off guard as a smile came her face. After a moment she finally spoke. “Don’t wait up” she winked, before looking back at Aurora. “Come on! Lets go!” She exclaimed, jumping from the balcony and cushioning her fall with a puff of air.

As Aurora came down the stairs Kailyn watched Steve’s face harden at the realization that his shoes were frozen to the ground, the exact way Peters had been a moment before. Before he could say anything she grabbed Aurora and practically ran out the door and into the field of grass, sinking down into the earth as if it was a soft blanket. “Now this, this is better,” she said, taking a deep breath of the fresh air around her. She could feel the river that flowed a mile out, the way the ground was vibrating under her, the heat of the sun kissing her skin, and the way the air playfully lifted her hair off of her neck. It was beautiful.

Her bliss didn’t last long, she looked back behind Aurora to see Sam practically stomping his way to the front door, and she did not want to deal with him right now. Kailyn’s eyes drifted back to Aurora, choosing her next words carefully. “I know you don’t exactly trust me, but take my hand” She held her hand out to the girl, her breath hitching as Sam continued to get closer. “Have a little faith” she whispered, and the second she felt just the slightest touch she felt relief.

The hydrant near the building exploded, the tremendous amount of water rushing towards the girls. Kailyn interlaced her hand into Aurora’s to help ground herself as she detached the piece of grass they were standing on and propelled them upwards with the help of the water. She had a destination in mind, and she closed her eyes, stopping the movement once they reached the roof. She stepped off and pulled Aurora with her, before letting the water and earth fall down onto Sam who stood where they had been just a second ago.

The relief that filled Kailyn was overwhelming. “I didn’t-” she sighed, her shoulders hunching. “I couldn’t-” she drifted off, trying to settle on her own words. “You know I lived in those woods for 4 years,” she said, gesturing towards the forest that surrounded the facility. I was stuck there after the battle. My father had found me and brought me to his lab where I thought I would be safe again, but he... “ her voice drifted off as she climbed up and sat on the edge of the building. She felt safe up here, and the added company was nice. “He found out I had dark matter in my cells when he did a wellness check. And he decided that money was worth more than my life” her head fell as she went over the events in her head. She wouldn’t share more, hell she was unsure why she had shared that at all.

“And you?” She asked, looking at Aurora. “What’s your story? Why are you stuck here with the troupe of washed-up heroes?”

When Kailyn revealed that she didn't need to be convinced to stay, Aurora deflated a little. It was in that moment that she realized that she felt a little more important and included by being the one to talk to the dangerous meta-human. But it seemed that she didn't need to, which was actually sad in a way. The woman said so herself - she didn't have anywhere else to go. Aurora knew how that felt and it definitely wasn't preferred.

"Go outside?" Aurora questioned, taken back when she grabbed her wrist and tugged her along. She instinctively resisted at first, but relaxed once she realized that Kailyn wasn't trying to hurt her. Despite her worry, Aurora couldn't stop a smile from gracing her features. Steve noticed it, already surprising him. He'd been listening in on their conversation for Aurora's safety, even though he realized that it wasn't polite. "Hey! What do you think you two are doing? You can't just -" Steve began to argue, but Aurora turned around and gave him a reassuring smile.

"It's fine, Cap. We're just going outside for some fresh air," she explained, giving him a look that said to just go with it.

Of course, Kailyn did something dramatic like jumping from the building, but she landed unscathed down below, so Aurora took the stairs at a jog to catch up. "No fair! You couldn't just take the stairs?" she joked once she approached Kailyn. Aurora noticed Sam as well and rolled her eyes a little, "Here comes the party pooper."

Kailyn looked like she had an idea, but Aurora wasn't quite sure what to think of that. "Uhh...I don't think I like that look you're giving me. It's suspicious," she teased lightly, but slowly reached out to take Kailyn's hand. She was highly impressed with her ingenuity and she let out a scream as they were propelled upward and to the roof of the building. Aurora had to take a few breaths and calm her heart rate before joining Kailyn on the edge. She listened to the woman's story, immediately feeling sympathy for her.

For a moment, Aurora just looked at her. Could she trust this woman with her background? The only person that she'd ventured to tell details to was Peter and that had been after a few days of recuperation. She gave in, though, having decided that it might help with Kailyn's adjustment here.

"I was in foster care since I can remember. My last foster dad was a geneticist and he ran experiments on me. He mutated my DNA, which resulted in telekinesis powers. After my twin was killed, I kind of spiraled and lost my powers. They were going to kill me when Peter and Hope rescued me," Aurora told her, "At least, that's the short version." She twirled stray string on her shirt between her fingers and sighed, "I guess we're both a mess, then. These washed-up heroes might be in over their heads."

Against his better judgement, Steve decided to text Peter to keep him informed.

You girl and the metahuman went out for some fresh air. Don't worry, I think them talking is helping.

----

(I apologize that there's not much Steve - I figured that we could finish up their bonding session. Haha.)

Kailyn gave a slight smile to Aurora, taking a moment to listen to her background as they sat on the roof. The sun was setting, which was a beautiful sight to take in. Sunset was one of Kailyn’s favorite times as a child, she would watch the glow disappear from the penthouse every night as her father read her a story. He would always try to get her to see how far down the sun went, which of course she never got the answer to. I love you as far as the sun goes down. He would say before tossing her into bed. She smiled for a moment, the innocent memory of childhood seemed so far ago. A desire in her longed for it to return, but the pure hatred she housed for the man would always burry that childhood innocence right back where it belonged.

The meta became uncannily aware of the deafening silence that had surrounded the two of them, but she didn’t try to disturb it. The silence was good at times, it helped quiet her world down. Before it became awkward she spoke once more. “Perhaps they have. Just two genetically fucked up people in a large dorm full of superheroes. What could go wrong?” She shook her head, trying to change the subject. “So, have they found any other metahumans? Or whatever I am called.”

The look on Aurora’s face made Kailyn burst out laughing. A mixture of pure confusion would describe it best. “What?” She asked, “I don’t owe them anything. Sure we all got fucked by space but it didn’t make us all instant family.” She shrugged and studied Aurora. By the girls’ reaction, she could tell she still didn’t think they should be talking about this. “Okay, I will prove it to you. I owe the rest nothing anyways. I was staking out a bank when I saw this man go in to rob it. He was grabbed by security and his entire body just up and poof. Vanished into some sand on the ground. I am glad I didn’t get that power. I hate sand” She muttered, chewing her lip. “I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.” She stated.

Kailyn chatted with Aurora for a while, just watching the sunset up on the roof. It was as calm as she had been able to be in a long time. She was just about to mention the fact that they should probably be getting down soon when she saw a dot getting closer from the distance. “Hey, do you see that-” Her eyes went wide as she was hit with a blast that sent her flying back across the roof. “Oh come on!” She shouted, her eyes flashing with that familiar anger. She looked up from where she knelt to see Peter, his arm protectively in front of Aurora.

“I told you to talk to her, not to run off with the meta! She is unpredictable Aurora you said so yourself.” He said, the clear panic running through his voice. “Are you alright?” He asked, his mask disappearing so he could look the woman in the eyes. His red hand touched her cheek to make sure she was alright, the concern on his face clear as day. After he confirmed her wellbeing Peter looked back at Kailyn, his voice cold and even. He didn’t register the rage that filled her until it was too late. “I don’t want you to even think about-”

The meta stood, her hair now falling into her face as she spoke. “Think about what?” She yelled, her figure shaking in rage. “Leaving? I had a clear mind on my thoughts before you showed up” She hissed out as the two began to circle each other. “You will never control me! You are nothing like Stark and are just his fucked up failure-” She was about to say more when Peters’s mask came back on, and he ripped out a huge tank from the roof and launched it at her, his own anger getting the best of him. It had taken most of his strength to chuck it towards her, and when she caught it like it was a paperweight he knew he had fucked up. “I’m sorry.” He said, slowly backing up as the woman chucked the tank off of the roof.

Kailyn launched herself at the man throwing punch after punch, following every step he took. She grabbed water from the water tank above them and sharpened it into needle-like ice daggers, sending them one after another at him. She blocked every attack he had, determined to make sure she walked away the victor. She was tired the last time she fought the Avengers, but now she had rested. She ripped a metal pipe out of the roof and used it as her staff, twirling it back and forth to block his advancing moves. “Guys, we have an issue on the roof” Peter shouted into the earpiece. “I need some help here!”

The meta smirked as her metal staff twirled, the bar heating up to a bright red in her hand. “Have to back out so early? I thought you fought Thanos and won? Or was that Stark again?” She laughed, advancing again. Peter had stepped in front of Aurora, which only added to her anger. “I have no problems with her, it’s you” She snarled, and jumped to attack again, getting hit with an electric web. The metal fell from the air, her body seizing as it hit the ground. Peter went to grab Aurora’s hand to take her off the roof when he paused. The electricity should have, in theory, gone through her body and into the roof to be absorbed. But the meta’s body absorbed the electricity. It flowed into her skin as if it was water.

“Oh god,” Peter said, his own nerves dampening slightly when Hope enlarged next to them. “Get her off of this roof.” Peter said, his eyes never leaving the meta who still stayed deadly still on the ground.

Hope grabbed Aurora and went to move when her suit powered down, no matter how many times she pushed the button it wouldn’t work. “Uh Pete, my suit isn’t powering on,” She said, her confusion clear as day. Peter’s suit shut down as well, and the lab’s lights began to flicker. The meta stood, electric bolts starting to run up and down the makeshift staff in her hand.

“Guess we found out one of the merger powers,” Peter said, his hands shaking as he stepped in front of the two. “You need to calm down,” He said, his voice even as he slowly walked forward. The meta stepped forward, her staff glowing and sparking as she advanced on Peter. Kailyn raised her staff to attack when she was thrown from the roof, crashing into the ground at the bottom of the building. Peter’s suit powered back on as he whipped around, his jaw-dropping at the sight of Aurora. “Welcome back,” he said, a smile coming to his face. If the supercharged woman on the ground wasn’t his main concern, he would have hugged the girl. Peter and Hope ran to the edge of the roof, peering down at the meta. She was surrounded by the three who originally captured her, although now she was vastly outnumbered.

“Give me the shield,” Bucky said, motioning to Steve to throw him the shield. “I said give it!” He shouted. He usually wasn’t this forward with the man, but he knew if he let Steve and Sam take care of this situation it would only get a lot worse. Bucky ripped a metal bar out of the side of the building and caught Caps shield before stepping towards the woman who began to stand, despite the plea coming from the men behind him. “Hey! You’re angry, I know you are.” He said, studying the meta as she gripped onto her metal pipe with a shaking fury. Her figure was trembling as she tried to control herself. The woman looked at Rogers, the fear in her face the same as when she was in the cell. Her anger overpowered her, her gaze tearing towards the newly considered threat who was advancing on her. “I know you’re mad because trust me I was too,” Bucky said, slowly and carefully choosing his words. “So be mad, come at me.” He nodded at her, before the woman screamed and attacked.

The two went back and forth, yelling at each other as their staffs connected together. Bucky was a good way for her to get out her anger, and they continued to spar back and forth as they slowly moved across the lawn. Peter let out a sigh of relief. “Everyone else fall back inside,” he said inside the earpiece, looking at Aurora. “We still need to talk about this, but I believe enough has been said” He gave her a weak smile, taking her under his arm and jumping from the building.

The rest of the group had gone back inside and taken a moment to calm down before going to get dinner in the kitchen. Thanks to Stark, the autonomous chefs would always be serving up something good. Everyone had taken their usual spot at dinner, but the conversation was a bit quieter than usual. The two empty seats next to Rogers were uncomfortable to look at. “So, who could have predicted that Bucky and the crazy could get along? Totally not me” Lang said, passing a twenty-dollar bill over to Banner.

The crew slowly began to unfold and come alive again, the conversation only coming to a halt when a very sweaty Bucky came in with his metal arm around the meta, both of them smiling to each other as the walked. Kailyn had a large and clear bruise on her arm while Bucky wore a huge welt on his leg, but the two of them seemed almost...happy? The two stopped and Bucky cleared his throat, giving Kailyn a look before the metahuman finally spoke. “I am sorry.” She muttered, grunting when the man pinched her side. “I am sorry for attacking you, even though you did attack first.” She said, her eyebrow raising at Peter.

For once, the entire table was silent. Banner passed the twenty-dollar bill back to Lang, his own mouth gaping open. The two took their seats, Bucky sat next to Hope on and Kailyn sat next to Steve. They placed her in between the two super-soldiers, it seemed fitting. She made note that nobody sat at the head of the table, keeping it very family-style. The conversations slowly started up again, and Kailyn turned to Bucky. She was about to grab a piece of meat- her first true meal in months- when she noticed a chicken leg being brought down the table by a group of ants.

“Oh for fucks sake get your ants off the table” Bucky said, glaring at Lang who held his hands up in defense. The interaction caused the meta to chuckle a bit, relaxing as she took a bite of her chicken. She looked over at Rogers who was as stiff as ever and shook her head. “Relax old man” She grumbled, lifting her hand slightly. Two Rolls from the basket flew down the table, and she passed one to Bucky. “I am too hungry to want to kill anyone right now.” She laughed, turning to Bucky who spoke after taking a bite from his bread.

“What can I say?” He grunted. “I like her.”

Last edited:
Aurora was blatantly surprised that Kailyn was willing to talk about the other meta-humans. She honestly hadn’t been sure of her relationship with them, but it seemed that she really had none, so their well-being wasn’t a concern. This was good information for her to be able to tell Peter and the others.

They sat in silence for a little while, but Aurora didn’t find it uncomfortable. In fact, it was kind of nice. She wasn’t worried about Kailyn attacking anyone or even her current personal struggles. The world was peaceful, for at least a little while. Unfortunately, as always, that didn’t last.

Peter entered rather dramatically, causing Aurora to quickly stand up and jump back. She was about to check on Kailyn when he positioned himself between her and the meta-human. His eyes checked her over, not finding any noticeable injuries. Aurora let out a breath when he approached her, his hand touching her cheek to illustrate the worry in his voice. “I’m fine, Peter. I told Cap that we were just getting some fresh air,” she told him, instinctively placing her hand over his own to emphasize her words.

He seemed to have the risk of danger to her pretty engrained into his mind, however, because he soon turned back to Kailyn. Aurora could tell by his body language that he was pissed off, but she didn’t understand why. She was fine and her words should have been enough to confirm that.

“Peter, stop,” she tried to say, but noticed the fiery rage begin to ignite in Kailyn’s eyes. “Peter,” she said more seriously, but neither of them were paying any attention to her. “Great,” she muttered as they began to fight each other. Aurora had to actually step aside to avoid being caught in the crossfire.

After she was hit with electric webbing, Aurora watched in a mixture of awe and worry as the meta-human merely absorbed the electricity. She knew in that moment that what she was seeing was her body controlling the element, which as far as she knew, was something new. It was also terrifying.

Intense concern grew in the pit of her stomach as she watched Peter approach Kailyn. She had only barely gotten out a warning to him before Kailyn was readying to attack.

Aurora acted on impulse and her mind was really oblivious to the fact that she was doing it, but every fiber of concern that she had built up for Peter somehow fueled the release of a significant amount of telekinetic energy and Kailyn was flung off of the building. She released a shaky breath, suddenly feeling light-headed, but smiled in realization that she’d just successfully used her abilities with relative precision.

---

Steve was in the kitchen when he heard Peter come over the comm device that he almost constantly had on him. “Jesus,” he muttered, immediately setting down the glass he was holding and going into action, “Sam! Get eyes on the roof. Bucky, meet me outside!”

Sam had flown over the roof before noticing that Kailyn wasn’t there anymore, but instead on the ground. He muttered a “what the hell?” before landing just as Steve and Bucky ran out of the building to surround Kailyn on the ground.

Bucky demanded for Steve to give him the shield and he immediately furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “Give you my shield? Why?” he questioned, but Bucky’s tone was hard enough for him to comply, so he tossed the Wakandan metal shield to his best friend. He hadn’t exactly been expecting him to spar with the meta-human, though.

“Buck, what the hell, man? Are you insane?” Steve shouted, clearly unapproving of Bucky’s methods. Sure, the woman obviously needed to blow off some steam, but Bucky could very well die in the process.

Peter’s voice soon came over the earpiece and Steve hesitated before following Sam inside, leaving Bucky to continue his impromptu sparring session with Kailyn.

---

“So I hear you’re back online,” Sam said from across the table, “How did that happen?” Aurora flashed her gaze up to him as she took a sip of her drink. Usually, she drank lemonade or something else with flavor with her dinner, but tonight it was water. She’d found herself extremely hungry and a little dehydrated after the she’d used her powers earlier, which was to be expected. She’d have to build up her stamina.

“I wasn’t there, but it sounds like my theory was correct,” Banner piped up from his abnormally large seat at the table.

Aurora sighed and set down her glass, “Can we not make it a thing, please?”

“Oh, it’s a thing,” Sam said, clearly amused, “It’s definitely a thing. Between you and – hey!“ Aurora suppressed a laugh after she’d caused some of Sam’s drink to spill into his lap.

“I’m sorry, you were saying?” she said, to which Sam threw up his hands in mock surrender.

Despite the light banter that slowly amped up around the table, Steve was silent and stoic. He couldn’t get Bucky’s actions earlier out of his head, along with the worry that was still pitted in his chest, even though he had full confidence that Bucky could handle himself well enough.

Everyone, including Steve, looked up when Kailyn and Bucky entered the room and took their seats. And even though Kailyn apologized to Peter, he couldn’t get himself to relax. His eyes shot up to the woman as she spoke directly to him.

Old man? Seriously?

“Will you stop that?” he said, actually a bit annoyed, “Can we not pretend that what you can do is incredibly dangerous?”

Suddenly, Steve felt an odd tingle in his chest and looked up to Kailyn incredulously. “What the hell are you doing?”

“She not doing anything, Cap,” Aurora spoke, “I’m just slowing down your heart rate a little to help you calm down.” She was honestly still drained from earlier, but Aurora was afraid that if she didn’t intervene, it would spark Kailyn’s anger and they’d end up with an all-out war on the dinner table. Her nerves couldn’t take that.

“You two women are going to be the death of me,” Sam muttered, having shoved his mouth full of food.

“Could you have some manners?” Hope said, disgust etched into her face.

“Are you kidding me? There’s fucking ants on the dinner table and you’re worried about me talking with my mouth full?” Sam retorted, though he said it after he’d chewed and swallowed his food, which actually made Steve chuckle.

A snort came out of the meta as she continued to eat her bread, trying to be calm and make it seem like she had eaten food recently. “What can I say, Captain? I am a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.” She rolled her eyes, wincing at the jab that Bucky threw into her side. She rose her eyebrow as he accused her of doing something, shaking her head as he spoke. She was too physically drained to actually insinuate anything, her sparring with Bucky was just exhausting work.

At Sam’s remark, Kailyn smiled, her eyes landing on Aurora for a split second before she spoke. “God I can only hope.” She replied. The table went silent, everyone staring at her, not sure whether to take her response as a joke or as a threat. “What?” Kailyn said, genuinely confused “I was joking!” Banner let out a huff before the tables conversation picked right back up again.

Bucky reached over and put his hand on Kailyn’s leg, whispering something in her ear that made her smile and visibly calm down. “Oh, so they got secrets now,” Scott said, his eyebrows raising at the man.

Kailyn was about to speak when Bucky spoke for her, his eyes locked on Scott. “No more than you and Hope. Tell me, what exactly is the Pym Particle made up of?”

Hope shook her head “You know its classified, but how was your mission Fury sent you on to Calcutta?”

Bucky smirked and nodded his head. “Touche´. Speaking of Fury, what did he want now?” His gaze shifted to Peter who had remained silent, his eyes never leaving the meta once they joined the table.

Peter shook his head, looking at Bucky. “Oh you know, regular spy things. He has a few more cases of metas that have popped up and he wants us to take a look at them. I sent the files out to everyone to go over tonight. Strange also said he would be stopping by for a visit soon, not sure why but it will keep things interesting.”

Kailyn had frowned at Peters’s words, her mind racing over what he had said. “What is to happen to these metahumans? Once they are captured? If they have done nothing wrong you can’t just imprison them without a trial. The Raft sure as hell won’t hold them all.” She looked up at Rogers who sat next to her before speaking again. “You should know it best of all since you did break Lang out of it.” She smirked, his reaction exactly what she expected.

Scott shook his head “First of all how the hell do you know-”

“The Downfall of America by Steven Shang, book four chapter fifteen: The Escape of America’s once Finest Hero’s” Kailyn responded, drinking some water out of her glass as she glanced at Scott. “I did some light reading in school.” She added.

Peter huffed, his face blank as he watched the remarks come out of the two. “I am unsure.” He finally said, not wanting to reveal too much to the meta. “I am sure Fury will have some sort of-”

Kailyn shook her head, ignoring the warning gaze she got from Steve and spoke again, not even letting the man finish. “They will either be imprisoned and rotting in cells for the rest of their lives or experimented on like lab rats. Those are the two outcomes, don’t try to tell me you will rehabilitate them because I know you won’t. The only reason I am alive is to aid in helping the capture and what happens after that? I get thrown in with the rest of them waiting for the day I don’t wake up again. Is that what you want? Is that really what Sta-”

“Don’t act like you knew a damn thing about him.” Peter shot back, his fist slamming into the table as his gaze hardened on the meta.

“I know more than you will ever know.” The meta whispered, her eyes narrowing at the man. The group became silent again, but this time she didn’t want to stick around to see what pointless thing they would talk about next. “I thank you for the food, but it appears my presence is no longer welcome.” She tore her eyes off of Peter before getting up and leaving the room, heading back towards her bedroom.

Peter ran a hand through his hair and stood as well, staying silent as he walked out. He didn’t go after the meta, he went back to his own room to think for a while. The meta was getting on his nerves, and forcing him to think about past memories he had shut far down and locked away. He had never processed Starks death, and he was able to get away with that for years. Now it stared him in the face, the sight of the girl was enough to piss him off. At the end of his anger was his flower, delicate as ever. He knew he had to get his own anger in check if he didn’t want Aurora to burn with him. Where had this anger come from? He couldn’t even figure that out himself.

The metahuman had gone to her room, changing out of her sweat-stained clothes and into some comfortable sleepwear. The wardrobe was filled with clothes her size so she had nothing to worry about. She had ultimately decided to shower the next morning, the inability to keep her eyes open slowly overcoming her as she crawled into bed. She could have sworn she heard a knock at the door, but between the softness of the pillow and the smooth sheets, the meta was too tired to care.

The room was light, so bright that she could barely see. She went to shield her face to protect herself from the light, blindly walking forward. She searched up and low for a sign of anything to turn the light out, but nothing was too be found. The girl was about to give up when she heard a crash, followed by the familiar scream of her mother out in the distance. She sprinted towards the sound, she had to help, had to save her, had to stop. Running. Her feet sunk into the ground, the light finally dimming enough for her to see what was causing it. Kailyn’s figure stood infront of her, the pure rage in her eyes causing a shiver to run down her spine. “This is the hell you will live with. Everything you ever touch will fall before you.” She spoke, before stepping off to the side. There was a pile of bodies, 6 very distinguished faces looking back at her. Each person she had killed laid in front of her, their dead eyes focused on her as she sunk to the ground, a scream coming out of her throat. “This is what your legacy is, this is what you leave behind.” The girl covered her ears trying to drown out her own scream. She spoke towards her figure, tears falling down her face. “Leave me alone” She cried “You don’t-”

Kailyn woke up almost instantly when she felt someone shaking her. Her left hand gripped onto the forearm of the man that shook her, her entire body shaking. Her eyes were frantic as she searched the darkness, trying to register where she was and what the hell was happening. After a moment her mind was able to connect all of the missing dots, and she relaxed her grip. “I’m sorry I-” she could barely get out a whisper as she let him go, wiping her tears off of her cheeks.

The meta shifted her body so her legs were hanging off the side of the bed. She put her head in her hands, trying to calm her breathing as she came back to reality. She didn’t like the position she was in, she was weak and exposed. Of course, the girl didn’t have much of a choice. She saw Rogers feet turn to walk away and her hand shot out again, grabbing onto his forearm.

Her entire body was trembling, the idea of being alone to her thoughts was too destructive. “No please.” She whispered, her gaze shifting back up towards the man. Her lower lip was trembling at this point. She really must have looked like a mess. “Don’t” She whispered, her voice cracking as she spoke.

Even though he wasn’t a fan of someone using their unseen powers on him without his permission, Steve was a little thankful to Aurora. He was usually fairly level-headed, but it seemed that Kailyn has his anxiety on high for some reason.
Steve watched Bucky with the meta-human closely, frowning slightly at their new-found closeness. It was slightly unnerving for some reason - the way Bucky whispered in her ear.

The table then settled into a more serious conversation, discussing the other meta-humans, and Kailyn asked a very good question. What would happen to them when they were captured? They’d have tests run on them for sure, but Steve couldn’t condone any experimentation or outright imprisonment. Many of them seemed to be fairly young and some hadn’t even caused any trouble. They didn’t deserve that. Steve wasn’t even sure that Kailyn deserved that, despite the fact that she’d murdered people.

When Peter slammed his fist down on the table, the air in the room shifted. It seemed that Kailyn had the uncanny ability to get under people’s skin. Everyone knew that Tony Stark was a sore spot for Peter, which was why Aurora had placed a hand lightly on Peter’s knee when the name was mentioned.

Steve had suddenly lost his appetite, so he left the table shortly after Peter had and went up to his room to collect his thoughts.

——

After she’d finished with her dinner, she went upstairs. Aurora had wanted to go after Peter the moment he’d left the dining room, but figured that it was best to give him some space to calm down first.
Aurora knocked on his bedroom door before slowly opening it to reveal that it was only her.
“Hi,” she greeted a bit shyly before softly closing the door behind her. “Are you okay?”

That suddenly seemed like an incredibly silly question, so Aurora quickly rephrased, “I hope you’re not too angry with me. I’m sorry if I worried you. I was just trying to make her feel more welcome.”

She fiddled slightly with her hands and looked down at the floor as she continued. This was something that she’d had on her chest for a little while. “I don’t want you to feel like you have to babysit me or something. I don’t want to be a burden to you.”
——

Steve had been in a light sleep when he heard the screams coming from the room beside his. He launched out of bed immediately, burst out of his own door, and quickly turned on his heel to head into Kailyn’s room.

She was screaming almost incoherently, her eyes closed and her face twisted into an expression of pain and extreme sadness. Steve paused before reaching over and shaking her body to wake her. “Kailyn, hey, wake up,” he urged.
Her eyes shot open - Steve could see her fairly well despite the darkness of the room - and she grabbed his forearm. For some reason, he wasn’t afraid though. Maybe it was her fearful expression or the way that her body was shaking, but Steve knew that she wasn’t about to harm him.

Steve noticed that she was crying and was about to say something. Whatever that would have been, he wasn’t sure. The meta-human sat up as he let go and she shifted her position on the bed. He took this as his cue to give her some space, but when she grabbed his arm, Steve stopped in his tracks. She was actually asking him to stay.
He looked down at her for a moment, taking in her pleading expression and the tears that stained her cheeks. And he couldn’t leave her. So he silently nodded and sat down beside her on the bed before slowly wrapping an arm around her shoulders. The gesture felt weird, but it also felt really right in a way.

“It was just a nightmare,” he told her, his voice low in the dark room, “I get them sometimes too.”

Peter had been pacing when he heard the knock at his door. He knew who it was by the way the hair on the back of his neck stood up when their fist hit the door, and he let a slight smile come to his face. His back was facing the door when the girl walked in, he was staring out the window at the A that was painted on top of a smaller training building he had built directly across from the main facility. Of course, none of the buildings were his actual plans, those blueprints had been left behind from Stark. All he had to do was choose the location.

He mulled over her words in his mind, too deep in thought to really give an accurate response out. “I am not angry with you” he finally responded, but still made no move to turn around. Her words stung him a bit, the old jest from Stark… oh, what was it… the babysitting protocol he and Ned had hacked into. He simply huffed at her words, letting them roll off of him. He knew she meant well, but she had unlocked another series of memories that he desperately tried to keep away.

“When I was younger and Stark first found me, he told me he needed me to help him fight Captain in Germany.” He began, still gazing out the window as he spoke “After the fight, I wanted to do so much, be so much, but I was young and foolish. I learned from it all don’t get me wrong, but for the initial six months after the fight, I thought I was ready to take on anything. I didn’t understand that if Captain had wanted to lay me out he could have, I just walked away thinking that I had beaten Captain America and stolen his shield. The six months that I thought I was untouchable and Stark saved me every time…..that was babysitting” He sighed and turned around, running his hand through his hair as he finally faced Aurora.

“I am keeping an eye on you because you are in a vulnerable state, and I would do the same for anyone else. Babysitting is having to set up Jarvis with a protocol that if the meta leaves the property without initial clearance she will be blown sky-high.” He didn’t say her name, in his mind she was still an annoyance and a killer, and nothing less. She also knew more about Stark then she was letting on, and he was determined to figure it out.

“I just need you to be careful around her,” Peter said, closing the space between him and Aurora in just three strides. “She is dangerous and unpredictable. Fury has made it clear that he will not hesitate to wipe her out and neither will I. I extended the peace to her in the best interest of the team but you must understand that if for any reason she is found to be stepping out of line or conspiring with the other metas, she will be eradicated. Don’t get too close.” He said, reaching his hand to cup her cheek. He smiled for a moment before he pulled away, going over to his datapad and searching through the files until he found the meta’s. He was going to go through it a bit more, he had to figure out what she knew that he didn’t.

“We will train tomorrow morning, you should be off to bed.” He muttered, enlarging the file so it covered the room. He went through the pieces he had, the camera sightings, her history, everything piece by piece, throwing the junk into the digital garbage can as he went along. He paused for a moment, seeing Aurora had not moved. “Unless there was something else you wished to speak about.”
-----

Kailyn stiffened as the bed sunk next to her. She had extended the offering for him to stay, but she didn’t exactly expect him too. She shrunk a bit when Steve placed an arm, around her, but the warmth coming from him quickly loosened her defenses as she put her head on his shoulder. He smelled like a mix of pine and cottonwood, and under his arm, she felt somewhat safe. She let herself calm down, trying to decide if she should reveal her dream when her instincts decided for her. “The first man I killed was an accident” She whispered, her eyes closing as she tried to stop the shaking of her limbs.

“I was out in the woods, doing some research on the blip when the battle started. Everyone was told to run inside but I had to finish my piece, it was the piece of research I would have submitted to get my doctorates. So I stayed out, even when the sky began to rain with ash I stayed out, not even thinking. I was so damn determined not to let anything ruin my research. Then this huge energy wave hit, and I saw the sky open up again just like when I was a kid in New York City. That’s when I realized I should have ran.” She pressed herself deeper against Steve, willing whatever was inside of her to relive the memory. She desperately wanted someone-anyone- to know her pain. “I was knocked down and hit my head, I had fallen into the firepit, the fire was still raging but my skin was barely charred when my father found me.”

The meta shifted her position slightly, reaching her trembling hand over to grab Steve’s. She could feel his stiffness but she couldn’t care less. She needed someone to hold onto while she got the past trauma off of her chest. “He brought me in and did bloodwork to make sure I was alright, and that’s when he found the dark matter in my cells. He stuck me inside a machine and told me he loved me. He shoved 16 tubes into my body and told me he loved me. He filtered my blood out of my body and told me he loved me. All he loved was his money.” she said, the hand holding onto Steves began to squeeze a bit tighter as the memory lived out in front of her.

“Eventually he wasn’t the one to do it, it would be some assistant or some poorly paid tech who would come in and tell me how much he loved me before trying to extract more matter from my cells. Every time I wasn’t being filtered through he would place me back into a locked room. Then one day, while I was strapped down the power, began to flicker in the room. They had tried to extract more dark matter on a molecular level, and the pain of the process caused me to blackout. I remember waking up, and I could feel the pressure of the air in my own lungs. I could hear the blood running through their system, hear the small pebble that was kicked inside the room, everything had changed. I ended up ripping the tubes out of my body-” she paused, taking a moment to reflect before she spoke again. “And the tech, Zach McCloy, he looked at me differently. He wasn’t looking at me with pity anymore oh no, he looked at me with fear. God did I love drinking in his fear like some sort of forbidden wine.” She smiled for a moment, the memory of it almost as clear as day to her. “He went to try to stop me from leaving and I grabbed his arm, shattering it in my grasp. His scream would have alerted my father so I just..”

Kailyn had drifted off, a shudder rippling through her at the memory. She had snapped his neck without a second thought, and she had no regret for it. “I have always had problems concerning my anger but for once I was stronger, I could do something about it. I could..” she thought once more, trying to choose the right words “I could take revenge.” She grimaced, not wanting to go into any more detail. “I went down the list of men who had hurt me and one by one picked them off, saving my father for last so he would know I was coming. But I guess that day will never come.” She hadn’t noticed the fact that tears that were flowing down her face until she felt a rough hand wipe them away.

The meta looked up at Steve, her eyes searching his. “So maybe...maybe I am a monster. I don’t know if I would know if I was one or not.” She dropped his hand, shaking her head as she turned to face him on the bed. “I didn’t know what else to do.” She whispered, her voice breaking down. “The more the power grew… the more I lost control. I just… spiraled.”

With a huff, she brushed away the tears in her eyes, trying to shake off the unnerving feeling from sharing everything she just had. “I guess I am just a super-soldier without good morals like you.” She finally stated, her eyes searching his. If he was all that was good then she was all that was bad, a perfect little harmony.

Peter didn’t turn to look at her at first, which unsettled her. But she didn’t push him - she just waited for him to feel comfortable enough to reply. And when he did, she listened intently, trying to understand what was going through his mind. It was a slight relief to know that he wasn’t “babysitting”, but rather looking out for her. Though, she felt a little stab when he mentioned that he’d do it for anyone else that was in her position. It sounded selfish, but something bothered her about that statement. But Aurora didn’t understand why and the selfishness of it made her brush the thought away quickly.

And then he was doing it again - touching her cheek with slightly callused hands. Aurora could never seem to think straight when he did this, but Peter didn’t let it linger for long before he turned away from her and went over to a screen. Aurora just watched him, even though he told her that she should get some sleep, obviously signaling for her to leave.

Wordlessly, after he’d asked if she wanted to talk about anything else, she moved to place a hand on Peter’s shoulder and turn him around to face her. “Please don’t do that,” she said, “Push me away. I don’t like it.”

She wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. They’d been close like this before - she’d hugged him or he’d carried her, so Aurora didn’t feel like it would be too much. When she pulled away, she reached up to brush a stray piece of hair from his forehead before letting her hand drop to her side.

“You’re the one that needs to get some rest. Training tomorrow, bright and early?” she asked, patting his chest softly before going over to the door, “Don’t be late.”

——

Steve felt her tense up at the physical contact, but he relaxed some when she leaned her head on his shoulder. The light weight of it was actually comforting for him, but he couldn’t linger on that because Kailyn began to speak, explaining a part of her past that he never would have through she’d divulge to him. And it was worse than he’d thought. This woman, who had been through so much trauma and so much unfathomable pain, was breaking down beside him. Steve wished that he could put the pieces back to together for her. Because he had a distinct feeling that if he could, she wouldn’t be so resentful and hopeless. But he decided that the least he could do was just listen and be there, so he allowed her to grab hold of his hand, though the contact caused him to instinctively flinch.

He gently wiped a few tears from her cheek with the pad of his thumb and let out a breath, trying to seek the right words in his mind. And then she was looking at him, her eyes searching for answers that Steve wasn’t sure that he even had. But he could tell that this was a potential turning point for her, so he was going to try his best.

“You’re not a monster,” he said with a shake of his head, his blue eyes meeting hers with a fierce assurance, “Life knocked you down hard and that’s not your fault. People wronged you and you’reunderstandably angry. Your actions weren’t right and you can’t change them, but you do have control over what you do next. And the moment you believe that you don’t have control, that’s when you’ve lost it. So reclaim it and use your powers for something good.”

Steve knew that his advice was much easier said than done, but he hoped that it would at least get her to think. And if that happened, then he had done something right.

“Do you uhm - do you want me to stay until you can get some sleep? I couldn’t really sleep well myself, so I don’t mind,” he offered. Steve didn’t want to just leave her when she was still in such a vulnerable and emotional state.

——

When she entered the Green Room, Hope almost immediately grew to her normal size and greeted her. She was used to Aurora coming in here periodically.

“Is he okay?” Hope asked, catching her off guard.

“Who?” Aurora questioned with a slight tilt of her head.

Hope shook her head and chuckled. “You kids really are clueless,” she muttered, too low for Aurora to hear. “Peter,” she clarified, “Is Peter okay?”

Aurora took a breath before nodding a little, “I think so. I can tell he’s going through a lot, though. I just wish I knew what to do to help.”

Hope let out a brief sigh before sitting on one of the benches, “I wasn’t super close with the group when during the fight with Thanos, but I know this...Peter lost someone very important to him that day. Stark was like a father-figure to him and he watched him die so that we could all live. And then he inherited everything and well...that’s a lot of pressure.”

“So there’s nothing I can do? I can’t bring him back,” Aurora replied, her heart breaking for the boy that had saved her life.

“Just be you. Be here for him. Remind each other to feel,” Hope said simply. Aurora wasn’t exactly sure how to do that, but for Peter, she sure as hell would try.

Kailyn sighed at Steve’s words, her eyes searching his for a moment before she found the courage to speak again. “ You know” She muttered, a small smile coming to her face as she looked up at him “The books did always say you were the awfully optimistic one.” She grinned before glancing at the clock. It was one am, and according to her datapad, she had to be up at ten am for training, something she was already not excited to do. She, of course, had spent many sleepless nights while on the run, but she had wanted to get some sleep for once in her life.

“Stay.” She whispered, her eyes studying Steve’s, “Please” She added, giving him a weak smile before she moved over in the bed. She knew he was old school, but the fact that he took the couch over the bed made her snort. “Thank you.” She muttered and put her head back on the pillow before passing out once more.

When the meta woke up to the sun shining into her room she groaned, the alarm clock going off on her wall read that it was only eight in the morning. She wasn’t used to getting up any time before eleven, so the wakeup call was not one she appreciated. “Tell it to shut the fuck up” She yelled to nobody in particular, shoving the pillow over her head to try to cancel out the noise. She was almost content enough to go back to sleep when she heard a groan coming from the other side of the room which jolted her mind awake. The girl sat up straight in bed, blinking her eyes a few times to see Rogers still sleeping on her couch. How could he sleep through not only the alarm but her screaming? She couldn’t figure that one out.

Kailyn got up and walked over to the couch, gently shaking the man awake. “Hey, wake up sunshine the day awaits.” Her voice was a mixture of sarcasm and happiness, mornings really weren’t her time to be awake. “Thank you for everything last night.” She gave him a soft smile before turning to step into her bathroom. “I’ll meet you in the halls in thirty, don’t be late!” She said before shutting the door and hopping into the shower.

After examining her new and old bruises alike, she scrubbed herself clean before getting out and taking the time to figure out what she should wear. She settled for a white long-sleeved crop top with leggings, caring less who saw the bruises and scars. She still had a bruise in the shape of Buckys hand on her stomach, a bruise from where Sam had shot her next to her navel, and a deep scar that ran down her spine with the number 001 tattooed next to it. It was healed over and formed a thick angry line down her back, but she wore it with pride. It was the spot her father would pull the dark matter from, and she would wear that scar until the day she died. She shook the thought away as she slipped on a pair of running shoes and tied her hair into a bun. She had seen the list for today’s training, and she was already not excited.

Kailyn went out to patiently wait for Steve, but he of course was not a minute late. “You ready?” She said, her mood having gotten increasingly better as the morning went on. She felt as if so much stress was lifted from her shoulders the night before. She could tell her chipper attitude didn’t go unnoticed, but she shrugged it off, she wanted to stay this way for as long as possible. She walked with Steve down the hall before coming up to the long staircase, once again choosing to launch herself off of the top and land on the bottom. “You’re so slow” she groaned, running ahead to the kitchen to grab some food before she went to the training center outside. By the time Rogers joined her in the kitchen she had finished eating her apple and eggs and filled her water bottle. “You got to be faster than that old man.” she teased, before brushing past him and running out towards the entrance.

Scott stood in the corner, his mouth agape as he watched everything that just happened. “What just happened?” He asked, staring at Steve for any sort of answer. “Did the crazy from last night get replaced with someone new?”

The real reason that Kailyn wanted such an early start was that the night prior, she had promised Bucky she would meet him outside that morning to go for a run before starting any formal combat training. When Kailyn walked outside she felt relief upon seeing Bucky, but her gaze hardened when she saw that he was joined by Sam, Peter, and Aurora. “I was promised a run, will that not be happening?” She said, her previous happy layer being replaced by that thick wall she had up the day before. The scowl returned to her face, to say she wasn’t happy was an understatement.

“You can warm up in any way you would choose to.” Peter said, motioning to the track that surrounded the building. “We usually stick to thirty minutes, but do take your time.”

Kailyn saw Rogers come up out of the corner of her eye which lightened her mood slightly, but just the sight of Peter got her in a bad mood. She closed the space between her and the man, her finger going to rest on his chest. “I will.” She hissed, trying not to cackle at his taken back response. The meta went up to Bucky and walked over to the track that surrounded the building. The two were joined by Sam and Steve, and both of them looked at the pair in unison. “I am always down for more competition,” Kailyn said, stretching her arms out for a minute as she watched the three men get ready.

“It’s not a competition it’s a warmup,” Sam said, his annoyance only slightly coming out.

“Same thing,” Bucky said giving a quick nod to the meta before they took off.

Peter shook his head as he watched the group start running. The three super soldiers were all running in stride, each of them taking two laps in the time it took Sam to do one. Kailyn had pulled slightly ahead from the group and eventually, she began to lap Steve, even going as far as to jog backward to try to give him some time to catch up. After a solid twenty minutes, the trio stopped, running a marathon compared to Sam’s quarter. “There’s three of them now!” Sam exclaimed, panting as he leaned against the building. The trio next to him seemed a bit warm but overall fine. “They just ran a marathon and aren’t even.” Sam put his hands on his knees as he tried to breathe and talk at the same time. “They aren’t even winded.” he finally said, shaking his head in annoyance.

“I don’t think it was exactly a marathon,” Kailyn said, the smile slowly coming back to her face. She followed Peter and Aurora inside the building, and her mouth dropped open in shock. There were two separate spaces set up, and each space had a tablet at the beginning to program what type of space they would train in. “This is amazing,” Kailyn whispered, her eyes looking at every detail like a kid in a candy store.

Peter smirked and looked at her “We will start with hand to hand combat and physical strength, then we can work on your individual powers and mental strength. I will take Aurora, Bucky and Cap will take the meta.” He glanced over to Sam who was still panting in the corner “Sam will sit this one out. When it comes to your individual powers training we will bring in Sam, Scott, Hope, and myself to help with that. Understood?” He was mostly talking to the meta, but he appreciated the nods from the rest of the group. Peter watched as the meta began to walk towards her dueling ground when he stopped her with a clear of his throat. “You might want this” He added, tossing her a small cylinder.

The meta frowned as she caught it, pressing the button on the top. To her amazement, it extended out into a full metal staff in her hand. “Nice” She muttered, twirling it around before setting it down.

“It is made out of Vibranium, like Rogers shield. You can heat it up and run electricity through it, and it won’t break.” Peter added, chucking one towards Bucky as well. He was about to say more when he thought better, deciding to walk into the training room he had set for him an Aurora. When the girl joined him he held up his hands, motioning for her to come at him “Ready when you are” he said, the same playful smile coming to his face.

Kailyn twirled the staff around a bit, tossing it between each hand before she felt comfortable using it. “Okay boys, who’s first?”

Since he’d agreed to stay in Kailyn’s room - on the couch, of course - he’d woken up a bit disoriented. Steve’s mind had barely registered the alarm clock and scream from Kailyn before she was shaking him awake.
“Yep, yeah, what happened?” he mumbled, sitting up quickly while still half asleep. Steve had been surprised at the quality of sleep he’d gotten after his chat with the meta-human. He’d been awoken from a deep sleep, so he found himself to be a little slow-going at first.
Kailyn seemed to be a pretty chipper mood, which he was sure threw everyone off. It was like night and day, compared to her mood yesterday, so it was enough to give someone a mental whiplash. He just hoped that this was a positive indication that maybe his words from last night were sinking in.
“I’m starting to see why you two get along,” Steve said, shaking his head at Bucky and Kailyn. They were clearly seeing a brief warm up run as a competition to be won.
He really put in the effort to try to outpace the woman, but neither him nor Bucky could touch her physicality. In fact, Steve had actually broken a sweat by the time they came to a stop. “Damn, you’re fast,” he complimented, running a hand through his hair and cracking his back before clapping Sam on the shoulder. “At least she doesn’t say ‘on your left’ every time she passes you,” Steve teased him, having heard his complaints.
——
Aurora had stayed up a little later than she should have in the Green Room, just letting the atmosphere of the room calm her thoughts. So when she awoke to her alarm the next morning, she groaned and stared up at the ceiling for a few moments before dressing in her training clothes and meeting Peter outside. As always, he beat her there, but she was still a few minutes early.
After they’d warmed up, Peter told Kailyn the plan for training today while Aurora went ahead and did a few stretches. Her body was still getting used to training sessions, even after close to a month of them every morning.
Aurora joined Peter on the mat and took a deep breath in an attempt to ready herself. Most of the time, these combat training sessions ended with her winded and pinned repeatedly to the ground. She knew that she had a lot to learn, but that didn’t make the losing any less frustrating.
“You know, it really isn’t fair that you all have some kind of physical enhancement and mine is all mental,” she said, letting out a huff as Peter easily dodged her advance and pinned her. “I could kick your ass if you’d let me use my powers,” Aurora teased.
They’d been practicing her combat skills in lieu of figuring out how to get her abilities back. But now that she had some control, Aurora was eager to hone it and see what she could do. She knew that this was strictly combat right now, though. “You should let me practice against the meta,” she suggested as she stood back up. Aurora had only really said that to distract him, so she could swipe his feet out from under him and pin him down this time.
“Kidding,” she giggled, letting go of him, “Never take your focus off your opponent. You taught me that.” Aurora was enjoying their playful sparing. She knew that Peter might catch on to the difference in her mood, but Aurora was just really happy to have her powers back. It had been like a part of her was missing and now she felt more whole again. At least, as whole as she could feel without her twin brother by her side.

——

Once they’d been split up into separate groups, in different trading areas, Steve grabbed his shield and decided to play defense against Kailyn offense. Bucky had already sparred with her, so he stepped forward to face her first.
“Just don’t try to kill me and we’re good,” he joked, planting his feet and readying his stance. “I want to see what your offensive style is first. So come at me and try to land a hit.”
Steve raised his shield to block her advances, the Vibranium against Vibranium making loud “dings”. Thankfully, the training room could absorb the sound. Otherwise, it might travel and damage someone’s eardrum.
“You’re too headstrong with your advances,” Steve told her, though she’d managed to land a blow, “You can’t go in all blind rage and expect to win.”

They started again and Steve was actually struggling to block her quick attacks, but he had pinpointed the weakness in her style. Defense.

“You can’t be too focused on the offensive,” he huffed out and threw his shield at her in a brief pause in her advances on him. The shield hit her in the thigh before Steve called it back to himself, “Or someone might do something like that.”

Since he’d agreed to stay in Kailyn’s room - on the couch, of course - he’d woken up a bit disoriented. Steve’s mind had barely registered the alarm clock and scream from Kailyn before she was shaking him awake.

“Yep, yeah, what happened?” he mumbled, sitting up quickly while still half asleep. Steve had been surprised at the quality of sleep he’d gotten after his chat with the meta-human. He’d been awoken from a deep sleep, so he found himself to be a little slow-going at first.

Kailyn seemed to be a pretty chipper mood, which he was sure threw everyone off. It was like night and day, compared to her mood yesterday, so it was enough to give someone a mental whiplash. He just hoped that this was a positive indication that maybe his words from last night were sinking in.

“I’m starting to see why you two get along,” Steve said, shaking his head at Bucky and Kailyn. They were clearly seeing a brief warm up run as a competition to be won.

He really put in the effort to try to outpace the woman, but neither him nor Bucky could touch her physicality. In fact, Steve had actually broken a sweat by the time they came to a stop. “Damn, you’re fast,” he complimented, running a hand through his hair and cracking his back before clapping Sam on the shoulder. “At least she doesn’t say ‘on your left’ every time she passes you,” Steve teased him, having heard his complaints.

——

Aurora had stayed up a little later than she should have in the Green Room, just letting the atmosphere of the room calm her thoughts. So when she awoke to her alarm the next morning, she groaned and stared up at the ceiling for a few moments before dressing in her training clothes and meeting Peter outside. As always, he beat her there, but she was still a few minutes early.

After they’d warmed up, Peter told Kailyn the plan for training today while Aurora went ahead and did a few stretches. Her body was still getting used to training sessions, even after close to a month of them every morning.

Aurora joined Peter on the mat and took a deep breath in an attempt to ready herself. Most of the time, these combat training sessions ended with her winded and pinned repeatedly to the ground. She knew that she had a lot to learn, but that didn’t make the losing any less frustrating.

“You know, it really isn’t fair that you all have some kind of physical enhancement and mine is all mental,” she said, letting out a huff as Peter easily dodged her advance and pinned her. “I could kick your ass if you’d let me use my powers,” Aurora teased.

They’d been practicing her combat skills in lieu of figuring out how to get her abilities back. But now that she had some control, Aurora was eager to hone it and see what she could do. She knew that this was strictly combat right now, though. “You should let me practice against the meta,” she suggested as she stood back up. Aurora had only really said that to distract him, so she could swipe his feet out from under him and pin him down this time.

“Kidding,” she giggled, letting go of him, “Never take your focus off your opponent. You taught me that.” Aurora was enjoying their playful sparing. She knew that Peter might catch on to the difference in her mood, but Aurora was just really happy to have her powers back. It had been like a part of her was missing and now she felt more whole again. At least, as whole as she could feel without her twin brother by her side.

——

Once they’d been split up into separate groups, in different trading areas, Steve grabbed his shield and decided to play defense against Kailyn offense. Bucky had already sparred with her, so he stepped forward to face her first.

“Just don’t try to kill me and we’re good,” he joked, planting his feet and readying his stance. “I want to see what your offensive style is first. So come at me and try to land a hit.”

Steve raised his shield to block her advances, the Vibranium against Vibranium making loud “dings”. Thankfully, the training room could absorb the sound. Otherwise, it might travel and damage someone’s eardrum.

“You’re too headstrong with your advances,” Steve told her, though she’d managed to land a blow, “You can’t go in all blind rage and expect to win.”

They started again and Steve was actually struggling to block her quick attacks, but he had pinpointed the weakness in her style. Defense.

“You can’t be too focused on the offensive,” he huffed out and threw his shield at her in a brief pause in her advances on him. The shield hit her in the thigh before Steve called it back to himself, “Or someone might do something like that.”

( Ire-posted my reply because the spacing turned out weird the first time xD )

As Aurora came at him the man smirked, she was always one to bring up his unfair advantage. “If one day you are caught and unable to use your power, you may need to rely on hand to hand combat you know.” The man said. He had said this too many times to her, but he always felt that it was needed. “When I was younger I thought my suit was what made me powerful, but I had to learn that it was my own strength and intuition that made me powerful.” He went forward and got a few good jabs at the girl before he backed off, waiting for her to make the next move.

At the mention of her fighting the metahuman the man stopped, he stopped thinking, stopped strategizing, and notably stopped breathing. He was about to say something back when he was literally swept off of his feet, grunting as he hit the ground. “That was unfair.” He protested, flipping back up to his feet. He grabbed Aurora’s right arm and spun her so she crashed her back into his chest.

Peter stood there with his arm around the front of the woman, trying to catch his breath as he dipped his head down slightly to whisper into her ear. “I also taught you to never get too confident after a win.” He whispered, giving the girl just a second to think over what he said before he spun her out and back around so she was where she once stood, giving her a moment to find her bearings before he motioned for her to come attack again. “Again.”

--

Kailyn groaned, she had wanted to spar with Bucky again but apparently Steve had other plans for her. She twirled her staff back and forth as she tested out its rigidity, it was extremely lightweight which she enjoyed much more than the pipe she had previously ripped out of the roof. At Steve’s comment, she sighed, shaking her head at the man “I can’t make any promises not to kill you, so try to keep up.”

The beginning of the spar was an interesting one for Kailyn to comprehend. She was fighting how she usually fought, blind rage until the enemy gave out. However, with Steve, he wasn’t giving out. Hell, the man didn’t even seem to break a sweat at her constant attacks. You can’t go in all blind rage and expect to win. The meta let the sentence rip through her brain as she mulled it over. Maybe it was time to switch up her strategy a bit. With a huff, she rolled out her shoulders and prepped for a new tactic. The meta switched up her attack, trying to target the man’s weak spots as she swung at him, and she eventually got a good hit on his upper arm, a confident smirk now crossing her lips as she continued her advancement.

Before she could comprehend what was going on she felt a sharp sting to her thigh, the pain from where she was hit causing her to drop down to her knee in front of the man. She winced, covering the spot as she looked at him. There was a subtle change from that moment, she was no longer there to play. She was there to win. Her jabs became sharp and planned as she changed her strategy. She tossed her staff off to the side and went for a more hand to hand combat approach, doing everything she could to try to knock Steve off of his game.

“Maybe you should put the shield down” She grunted, jabbing her arm into his stomach before finally disarming him. His shield rolled off to the side and in the moment of confusion, the metahuman swept her feet under his, knocking the man off balance. Once he hit the floor she was on top of him, sitting on his chest and pinning the man’s arms above his head. The meta was panting as she stared at him, a small smile on her face. “Your move, Captain.” She whispered, finally sliding off of him and moving off to the side. She noted that Bucky, Sam, and Scott were staring at her but she quickly brushed it off. The meta reached down and picked up the shield, trying it on before she looked at Steve for some sort of confirmation. “How do I look?” She mused, ignoring the snort that came out of Bucky.

The girl turned around with the shield still on her arm and stared at the man, her gaze hardening. “You know they have a bunch of Captain America trading cards, action figures, hell I think I saw Captain America legos once. Remind me, do they happen to make anything with your face on it?”

Sam chuckled, his eyebrows raising at the meta. “That was a low blow” He turned towards Bucky who sat there with a scowl on his face “Do they make anything with your face on it?” He asked, just wanting to add fuel to the fire.

Scott, seemingly clueless, added, “I think they have Antman cereal now, but the flavor is just meh.”

Kailyn shook her head as the two went back and forth, her attention focusing towards where Steve now stood. She took the shield off of her arm and tossed it back towards him. “It is terribly well balanced” she added. She fell into line beside him as she watched Peter and Aurora emerge from wherever they went.

Peter looked at the group, his eyes focusing on the metahuman for just a second longer before he turned back to the rest. “Power training wise we will stay as a group but do one on one with both of you. I don’t want anyone to get” his voice lingered for a moment as his eyes settled on Kailyn. “Burned.”

The metahuman rolled her eyes as she raised her middle finger towards the man, letting her fingertip catch into a small flame before she was pulled off to the side by Bucky. “Don’t give in to what he wants,” Bucky muttered, dipping his head over his shoulder to whisper into her ear. “You will show them all they need to see when you’re up.”

Scott made a face as he watched the Winter Soldier and the freak both interact in the corner of the room. “Would you stop it with the whispering? It’s freaking me out,” he said before his attention turned back towards Aurora.

Peter shook his head and looked at Aurora, they had set up the room specifically with anything she might need to use. “Since this is your first day back with your power, you will run how you want this to go. Place us where you need us and show us what you have.” He smiled at her before he let her go. She needed to lead the way on this one.

Steve quirked an eyebrow when he recognized a noticeable change in the atmosphere surrounding Kailyn after he’d hit her with his shield. She came at him with a slightly different tactic this time. Her moves were more calculated - less desperate. In short, she was more focused in her movements.

He was pleasantly surprised when she managed to catch him off guard. Steve felt slightly vulnerable when his shield flew to the side and he watched it for a moment, realizing his mistake a moment too late when he was swept off his feet, landing with a hard thud on the mat. Kailyn pinned him down quickly as her hands had his wrists in a vice grip that he knew he’d struggle to get out of. Steve knew when he’d been bested and he wasn’t too prideful to admit it, even to a woman, so he nodded in acceptance after she’d let him go.

“Fair enough, you win that one,” he said, grunting as he stood and cracked his neck and back. Steve gave her a slight glare when she began to mock his shield though. You just didn’t do that. The shield was everything - you don’t just make fun of Captain America’s shield.

“Yeah, yeah, give it here. It’s not a toy,” he played along, gesturing for her toss it back, but it was a few more moments before Kailyn complied, adding an extra comment in there.

“Yeah, well, it’s not yours so...” Steve retorted, securing the shield on his back. Not the best comeback ever, but he tried. Kailyn’s sarcasm wasn’t easy to match.

——

No one had really noticed that Hope had left until she reappeared with Banner in tow. When this happened, Aurora immediately knew what they were up to.

“Hope told me you guys were about to do training with Aurora’s powers and I wanted to be here,” Banner explained, immediately making his way over to the group to explain. Aurora felt a little embarrassed having him talk about her exclusively to a group, but she knew that his theory, which had now pretty much been proven to be true, was an important thing to consider.

“I had this theory that her abilities are fueled by emotions. Since she suppressed them, it suppressed her abilities as well. When she sent Kailyn flying off the building, it confirmed my theory. That was pure emotion.”

“Concern,” Hope nodded, following along closely.

“Exactly,” Banner said, “Any emotion would work. Concern, guilt, grief, fear. So basically we have to get her to feel something - anything.” He let his words sink in with the group before clapping his hands together. “So who wants to be the bad guy?”

“I mean, Bucky seems like a pretty good candidate,” Sam said.

“I don’t know if I should feel offended or take that as a compliment,” Bucky replied, but stepped forward anyway, pushing away from his place against the wall.

“I’m not gonna like this, am I?” Aurora sighed, taking her place on the mat in the middle of the room.

Bucky stepped up and shook his head, “Nothing personal, kid. Just doing my job.” He assessed for a moment before approaching her. “So dead brother right? What was his name?” Bucky pretended to think for a moment and snapped his fingers in faux realization, “That’s right. Casen.”

“Damn, he’s going right into it,” Sam muttered, kind of regretting his suggestion for Bucky to be the bad guy in this situation.

Aurora balled her fists at the mere mention of her twin brother. If anything was a touchy subject for her, it was Casen, and everyone here knew it. “Tell me, do you feel guilty at all for being the surviving twin? The one gifted with the more powerful abilities?”

“Of course I do,” Aurora ground out. Bucky just smirked at the fact that he was obviously ruffling her feathers already.

“Then fucking show it, Rory,” he demanded, his tone and the nickname taking her off guard. Bucky advanced on her as he continued speaking, “I can only imagine how disappointed Casen would be if he could see you now. To scared to even feel something for someone because you’re afraid they’ll leave you too.”

“Buck, that’s a little harsh,” Steve said, taking notice of the tears gathering in Aurora’s eyes.

“No wonder he’s dead. You two are just too weak,” Bucky continued, obviously not paying any attention to Steve.

“Shut up, please,” Aurora said, covering her head from the rush of energy she was getting. It was enough to feel like her head was splitting in two. “Casen is dead. Never coming back. He left you all alone,” Bucky pressed, now right in front of her face.

“I said shut up!” she screamed, reaching out to push Bucky away, but she sent him flying into the far wall instead as glass panes surrounding them shattered. Aurora stood there in the chaos, her breath coming in gasps before she collapsed from exhaustion on the mat.

Kailyn had zoned out as Bucky left her side, without him next to her she felt open, like a raw wound whose dressing was ripped away before it had time to heal. The meta slid her back down the wall, shrinking herself down into a small ball. The comfort she got from just the position itself was strange to her, but she kept her thoughts to herself. As Bucky taunted the woman she rolled her eyes, there was nothing for them to taunt her with she was certain. She was stronger - mentally and physically than Aurora. Kailyn did find herself feeling for her though, it must have been hard the position she was placed in.

The only one who didn’t flinch in the room when Bucky flew back was Kailyn. She saw it coming from a mile away. When Aurora hit the ground her eyebrows raised as she watched Banner and Peter run over to help her up. They settled Aurora into a chair with a blanket and some food and water, Peter spending an extra moment to make sure she was okay before his eyes turned to the woman in the corner. “You’re up.” he said, motioning for her to join him.

With a reluctant groan, she stood, walking towards where the man was pacing in the middle of the room. She stopped by Aurora and looked down “Are you okay?” she whispered, waiting for verbal confirmation before she stepped forward towards Peter. “While that was quite entertaining, I am afraid you have no dirt to use against me. I would consider changing your strategy up a bit.” She added, crossing her arms as she met the man “And we have already fought before, and I have kicked your ass. I don’t see what this will prove.”

Peter nodded, a small smile coming to his face as he turned towards the woman he hated so much. “You will not be facing me today.” He said. Behind him, a small amber flicker appeared out of thin air behind him. The flicker grew in intensity, growing and changing before it formed a circle, revealing another room somewhere the girl couldn’t quite place. A man stepped out, his figure towering over the girl as he approached her.

“You will be facing me.” Strange said, slightly lifting off of the ground before his feet planted back down in front of the meta.

“A wizard?” Kailyn huffed, her brain still trying to figure out what was going on in front of her.

“I prefer Master of the mystic arts, but sure. A wizard.” Strange replied, his voice stoic and strong as he circled the girl.

Hope looked over at Peter who now stood by Aurora’s side, her face displaying her level of concern at the growing situation. “Peter this isn’t a good idea, she is powerful but she isn’t ready to face Strange and you know it.” She looked over at Steve trying to get some sort of help to stop the situation. “You hate her and that’s clear, but she isn’t ready.” She urged.

“She will be fine.” Peter mumbled, staring at the two in the center of the room. He quickly adjusted the settings on his datapad, so a forcefield like wall separated them from the rest of the group, protecting everyone from any debris that could come their way. The conversation between Strange and Kailyn was clearly heard in everyone’s earpieces as Strange continued to circle the now cowering meta. To say Peter was amused watching the two interact was an understatement. The smile that picked up on his lips was concerning to watch, but the joy he got from seeing the meta cower was not comparable.

“Peter-” Banner tried to warn, but the man hushed him. He wanted to enjoy whatever was about to happen.

Strange looked the meta up and down as he circled her, his towering figure in itself causing the girl to cower like a terrified dog. “Kailyn Thorne, daughter of Octavia Potts and Richard Thorne, two brilliant scientists on this planet. Neice to the late Tony Stark, is that correct?”

The gasp that mulled through the group that watched the two was clear as day. Peter’s face seemed to pale two shades as he stood up straighter, the grip he had on Aurora’s shoulder growing tighter as the man in the middle kept speaking. Stark, nor Pepper, had ever mentioned having other family members.

“You grew up in a perfect environment, spending your days in the comfort of your parent’s penthouse or running around Stark’s tower like a little kid in the candy store. Stark would let you do anything, he treated you as his own. Is that correct?” Strange said, his eyes studying the meta.

Kailyn was standing before him, trembling in her spot as the man spoke. The memories that flooded through her mind brought back such strong emotions to her that her hands began to tremble, fire slowly creeping up her left arm as the man flew around her. She extended her staff in her right hand, the death grip she had caused her knuckles to go white around where she held. “That is correct.” She whispered, her voice seeming foreign to her. The wind in the room began to pick up slightly as a single tear fell down her cheek, but the meta didn’t go to wipe it away. She was frozen in fear, afraid of what the man might make her remember next.

“Your mother loved you, you were her pride and joy. After the first battle on New York when your home was destroyed, you stayed with her sister Pepper and Stark, where you apprenticed him for several months, learning your love for engineering. Pepper cared for you as if you were her own while your mother and father rebuilt their legacy. Stark helped get you into MIT, did he not?” Strange dodged a chunk of concrete that went flying his way as the meta weakly attempted to silence him. “Did he not?” he said, his voice growing louder as the wind in the room began to whip around louder and louder.

“He did.” Kailyn choked out, her tears flowing freely as she tried to knock the man out of the sky. She threw fire, ice daggers, chunks of concrete, anything she could get her hands on at him but the man didn’t budge. She didn’t move from her spot, the ground beneath her was slowly encasing her feet as she tried to block the man out. Her vice grip on her staff was trembling, her body shaking as she did anything she could to get the man out of the sky.

“You loved your parents. You loved your father even after he tried to drain the dark matter from your cells. Your mother fought for him to stop, but he wouldn’t, his own greed draining every ounce of life you had left in you.” Strange dodged another boulder, whipping his own weapon back at the girl, slashing a line across her back. The girl cried out and sunk to her knees, the red seeping into her white crop top as he spoke. “So when you woke up that day and discovered you had power, more power than you knew what to do with. What did you do?”

The meta held her breath, she knew what the man was after. She looked up at him on her hands and knees, her red splotchy skin stained with tears. She felt her anger begin to flow through her as she rose to her feet, her feet lifted above the ground as she hovered for a moment, but they touched down a second later. “I killed the tech-”

Strange flew down, his gloved hand incasing her throat. “You killed the tech who was working on you, but what did you do after that?” He lifted her off of the ground before throwing her to the other side of the room, ignoring the cry of pain that came from her as she hit the wall. Strange could hear the protest coming from the group on the other side of the forcefield, but he wasn’t finished yet. He had to get her to draw her power against him, to grow to a new potential. “You killed anyone in your way, you are haunted by those faces in your dreams at night. She tried to stop you. Your mother tried to stop you and calm you down, but you didn’t even blink. You choked the life out of her with your bare hands, you didn’t even use your power. How do you think Pepper felt when a month after her husband died her sister was murdered in cold blood by her own niece? You never loved her! You’re just a monster who murdered her own-” Strange was cut off by the oxygen leaving his lungs, and at that point, he knew he had gotten what he wanted.

The meta flew towards him, quite literally. She hovered just like him, her hands encasing his neck. “It was a mistake! I didn’t mean to!” She screamed, and just like that the fight started. The two went back and forth, flying around the room as the lights began to flicker. The forcefield protecting the other superheroes went down, the amount of pure power and rage coming from the girl was enough to drain energy from everything around her. A hole was blasted into the side of the building as the two continued the fight outside.

As everyone rushed outside Peter stayed frozen. He wanted Strange to tell him the past he couldn’t find on the girl, but this was not what he was expecting. People were saying things to him that he couldn’t comprehend, his own mind unable to figure out everything that was happening. Maybe he had drawn the line too far.

Strange had the woman by the neck and he looked at Aurora and gave her a nod. He needed her to help slow the meta’s heart rate down. He felt the meta relax in his arms after a few moments, and she dropped from his grasp, falling down to the earth below. She didn’t cushion her fall as she should have, she just let herself hit the earth. She wanted to feel the pain that radiated through her body. The girl stayed where she had fallen, her mind too numb to move.

Strange looked over at Peter who now joined the group outside. “I told you she could fly.” he said, glancing over at the girl who remained lifeless on the ground. “If you need me, you know where to find me.” Was the last thing he said before opening a portal and disappearing into the abyss.

Hope looked at Peter, her disgust clear as day. “You took that way too far and you know it.” she said, bringing the blanket she was holding over to the meta and wrapping the girl in it. The meta didn’t make any motion to move or say a word back, but she knew that the meaning was there.

Kailyn hugged her knees into her chest as she looked blankly at the woods in front of her. The memories Strange had brought up she had worked hard to push away, and now everyone knew the nightmare she truly was. Steve was wrong. She was a monster.

Steve was already feeling disgruntled with the way that Aurora's training session had gone, so one can imagine how he felt when Doctor Strange showed up to conduct Kailyn's session. He wasn't the only one to protest, but Peter was standing firm in his decision, so Steve decided to see how it played out. The force field around them kept him from intervening, which he wanted to do almost immediately. But the revealed background of Kailyn's life shocked him enough to stop those thoughts. Only once Kailyn had Strange by the neck and they suddenly moved the fight outside did Steve snap back to reality.

Aurora, meanwhile, watched the scene unfold in front of her, her vision slowly coming back into focus, though her mind was struggling to process anything but the overwhelming flood of emotions and thoughts that Bucky had unleashed. She'd felt Peter's surprise and anxiety before he even squeezed her shoulder, but the relevance of the news was a bit lost on her. She knew who Tony Stark was and his relationship with most everyone there, but she was still slowly putting together the pieces of Iron Man and his impact on the world at large.

Aurora noticed her cue to intervene and had to focus on Kailyn's body to will her heart to slow. Unlike Steve at dinner last night, she was putting up a fight. Once the meta was back on the ground, she watched her for a moment to make sure she was okay. Aurora was about to go over to her, but Steve beat her to it. She felt the blood trail down from her nose, but ignored it and turned to walk away, back towards the main building. Aurora was unsteady on her feet from pure exhaustion, but she held out a hand to anyone that was about to help her. "Don't," she said, her tone different from any that she'd ever used with them. "We get it. We're fucked up," she said to Peter, a clear indication that she thought he'd gone too far as well. "Oh, and thanks for the revelations," she directed towards Bucky.

"Aurora, you know what he said about you isn't - " Hope spoke, trying to console the broken girl, but Aurora cut her off abruptly.

"True?" she said with a bitter laugh, "Everything he said is true. Don't try to tell me it's not. I am weak, which is why you treat me like I'm this fragile little girl. You can stop. It's too late. I'm already broken and there is nothing to fix." It was obvious that Aurora had taken Bucky's words to heart. Hope could see the vast sea of emotion swirling inside of her, but she stepped back, knowing that there was nothing she had say right now to make her believe otherwise.

Aurora absentmindedly wiped the almost dried blood from her nose with the back of her hand and walked away. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out where she was going, but she didn't want to be cooped up in her bedroom. When get got to the Green Room, she telekinetically closed the door, feeling a wave of emotion leave her body. She needed a release, but Aurora knew that it would take a lot out of her. If only she had someone that could force her heart to slow and her body to calm down.

----

He hurried over to her crouched form, blocking her line of sight with his body, which forced her to notice his presence. "Hey, hey, look at me," Steve coaxed, reaching out to tilt her chin upward to look at his face, "I know what you're thinking and you can't let yourself go down that road."

"Steve, man..." Sam trailed off, clearly unnerved by his best friend comforting the woman that had just almost killed Strange and admitted to killing her own mother with her bare hands.

"You know she already thinks she's a monster, right?" Steve yelled. And he rarely ever yelled. "If you want someone to change, you don't remind them of their past mistakes like that. We've all made plenty of those. She can't change those and neither can we. You want her on our side, stop making her feel like she's a dangerous piece of shit."

With that said, he knelt down to scoop Kailyn up, his eyes daring someone to stop him. "You got the information you wanted. Now she needs rest and I'll be damned if any of you try that shit again," Steve said before starting to carry the meta back to the facility.

As Kailyn’s chin was forced up her vision focused on Steve, her lower lip trembling as he spoke. She didn’t make any move to stop him, the words she wanted to say were not able to come to her mouth. As Steve picked her up she stiffened for just a moment, relaxing into him. He was a comfort to her, his figure enveloping hers in a way that just made her feel safe. She tucked her head into his chest, closing her eyes to block out the world around her. The stinging coming from her back wasn’t even comparable to the pain coming from her chest.

Bucky watched as Sam took a step forward towards Steve, his own mind trying to comprehend everything that had just happened. “Don’t” the man urged, putting his hand out to stop Sam from going any closer. “Let him be.” Bucky had seen the way Steve looked at the meta, a way he hadn’t seen Steve look at someone for a very long time. He watched the man trudge up to the facility, the rest of the group staying silent.

After the meta and Aurora had disappeared, the attention turned back onto Peter. “You fucked up.” Bucky said, his eyes narrowing on the boy. “Big time.”

Peter, who was still trying to process the information given to him, looked at the few that had stayed behind. “I just wanted to know her past, I didn’t-” his voice faded off as he looked towards the ground. “I didn’t think-”

“That’s always the issue! You don’t think.” Banner said, throwing his hands into the air. He tried to support Peter after Stark passed, but after what had just happened he had enough. “Maybe now you will finally get time to think.” He said, before turning his back to the boy and walking away.

Peter stood there, his hand running through his hair as he watched the rest of the crew go back into the main facility. He wanted to run after them, screaming apologies left and right, but he knew that it wouldn’t mean anything. He needed to reflect on what had just happened. The nightmare he had just caused. With a disgruntled groan, he launched himself to the top of the training building and sat down, taking some time to think.

----

Kailyn opened her eyes once she heard a door close. It took her a moment to take in her surroundings, this room was much more lived-in than hers, but it was still neat and orderly. She let out a whimper when she was set down, she preferred to stay safe in the arms of Steve than be exposed again. “Steve I-” her eyes still stared straight ahead as her mind tried to come up with something, anything, to say to him.

The girl took her time, instead of her usual rush through life she gingerly made each movement. She finally stood, the blood on her back now dried, forming an X across her shoulder blades. “Do you mind if I wash up for a bit?” she whispered, her eyes searching Steve’s before she gave him a gentle smile and excused herself to the bathroom.

The meta spent the time in Steve’s shower mainly scrubbing the blood off of her body, watching it flake down into the drain. The water temperature was the hottest she could have it on, just urging herself to feel something, anything. But even the boiling water didn’t cover up the numbness the woman felt. She had just been forced to relive one of her most painful moments, the scene of her hands around her mother’s neck playing through her mind like a broken record.

When she finally turned the shower off her skin was tinted red from the heat of the water and her vigorous scrubbing. She had scrubbed herself as if she was able to clean her past with just the bar of soap. She grabbed a towel and smiled weakly as she saw that a sweater and shorts had been left out for her. She braided her hair down her back before slipping the oversized black sweater on, taking an extra moment to take in its overwhelming smell of Steve. She slipped her shorts on before discarding the day’s clothes in the trash, not wanting to ever wear them again.

Kailyn peeked out of the bathroom, her eyes landing on Steve who was seemingly deep in thought on the couch. She slid out into the main room, slowly making her way over to him. She sat down, taking in the comfortable silence between them before she spoke. “I’m sorry I made fun of your shield” She muttered, a small smile crossing her face as she eyed the weapon that was hanging up on the wall. “But in my defense, it is terribly well balanced.” She added.

She was tired, more than she would care to admit. “He was a good man.” she whispered, her eyes going over to the image of Steve and Stark together. “I’m sorry I never told you I just-” Her voice wandered off again. Why didn’t she tell him? She had told him everything else that had happened that night but never mentioned her mother. She was too afraid of his reaction if she did mention it. “I didn’t want you to see me for what I am” She whispered, her eyes searching Steve’s. He was a good man, too good for her. After a while of sitting on his couch and watching mindnumbing television go by on the screen, the girl dozed off. Her head was resting on the man’s arm, her entire body just collapsing from being overworked.

The girl woke up in a bed a few hours later. The man stood over her body shaking her again. “Another night terror.” She grunted, sitting herself up. She barely remembered her terrors anymore, just assuming they were all about the horrific events in her life. She brushed a stray strand of hair behind her ear, the braid she once wore was half falling apart as she stood, swaying for a moment as she got her footing. “I need to go for a walk, but I will be back.” Kailyn said, giving Steve a smile before she left the room.

She paced the halls of the facility, noting to herself that the sun was now setting outside. She had to clear her head before she went back to sleep, otherwise, the night terrors would just return in full fashion. She was about to head back to Steve’s room when she saw a room at the end of a hallway across from her was still lit up, so she made her way down. As she reached the door she could feel the energy radiating off of it, giving away that Aurora was in the room.

The meta gave the metal door a few pulses of heat from her palms, warming the angry energy she faced in the most calming way she could. She felt the energy back away from the door, taking that as her cue that it was okay to walk in. The girl had to block the brightness out of her eyes as she opened the door, a groan escaping from her mouth as she walked in. “God damn it’s fucking bright in here.” She said, quietly closing the door behind her.

Kailyn made her way over to the center of the room, her hands bundled up in the black sweater she still wore. She sat down on the floor, her legs crossed over each other. “I can see why you come in here.” She said, her eyes finally connecting with Aurora’s. “It’s beautiful.” she gave her a small smile but made no move to reach out to her. She could feel the defensive energy that radiated from the girl, and she didn’t want to make anything worse.

“Did I ever tell you about this time when I broke my arm in middle school?” She asked, her question mostly rhetorical. “I was made fun of most of my time through schooling, but in middle school, it was especially bad. I don’t know what I did, but the popular kids seemed to hate me for it, always pushing me around and making fun. I would go home and cry to my parents about the torture, and if my mom could have taken it away she would, I just know it.” She shook her head, the thought seeming to be too painful for her to mull over “So one day my dad took me to his kickboxing class and I learned how to punch. He would always tell me ‘You don’t need to be the strongest or the fastest, just get in the most important punch and you can win a fight’.” She scoffed, shaking her head. “So one day I decided I had enough, and when my bully Matthew Choy came up to me, I socked him in the jaw as hard as I could. I broke my arm and he broke his jaw, but I made my point. He never made fun of me again.”

The girl shook her head, the gleam of amusement fading off of her as she turned to focus on Aurora. “My point is, you don’t have to be the biggest or the baddest one in the group to make the most impact. You just have to show them where it counts.” She gently reached out and took the girls hand in her own, searching through her eyes. “I am sorry about your brother, I am.” She whispered, searching for anything to happen in the girl in front of her. “But I can help you get stronger. Fuck the others, you need to think about yourself. We can get up and train each morning, you will get strong enough to take on anything that comes your way.” She gave her a weak smile before she dropped her hand back to her side.

“I don’t know what you went through in the lab, but what I do know is that you and I aren’t that different. We both have some shit backstory and weird abilities, and at the end of the day, the only one their for us is ourselves.” She looked at Aurora, trying to put forth as much positive energy as she could. “Nobody else here knows what it’s like to go through what you went through, but I can help you get strong enough to make sure you never have to go through it again. We can help each other.”

Steve carried her to his room before gently setting her down on the bed. She was bleeding, but he wasn’t worried about her staining anything. He was just about to offer to fetch her a washcloth and clean her wounds, though, when Kailyn asked if she could use his bathroom to clean herself up.

“Of course, go ahead,” he replied, giving her a nod and a gentle smile. Steve watched her go before moving over to his dresser to grab her some fresh clothes and set them out for whenever she was done.

After a little while, he heard her exit the bathroom and sensed her join him on the couch. Steve honestly didn’t know what to say to even start a conversation, so he opted for silence. Surprisingly, the silence was actually comfortable.

“I didn’t know that something could be too balanced,” he chuckled, glad that she seemed to at least be able to joke now. Kailyn soon changed the subject, however, to something more serious.

“I wouldn’t expect you to give your whole life history when you’ve only just gotten here and met me,” Steve shrugged, giving her the benefit of the doubt. “Even though it was a big detail, considering how close most of us were to Stark, you don’t owe us the details. It’s your past, so I won’t push you to relive it.”

“Now,” Steve said, changing the subject and switching on the television, “You need some rest, so try to relax.”

Kailyn ended up falling asleep against him on the couch, so he gingerly carried her to the bed and tucked her in. He continued to watch television for a few more minutes before making his bed on the couch. However, Steve wasn’t asleep for long before he was awoke by Kailyn’s screams from the bed. Jumping up, he rushed over to the bed and shook her awake, breaking her mind out of whatever nightmare it had created to torture her. Steve nodded when she mentioned that she needed to go take a walk, “You can come back here if you want. I’ll just be on the couch,” he told her.

——

When Kailyn entered the Green Room, Aurora seemed to finally be running out steam. She’d managed to break some pots when little bursts of emotional energy were released, but Aurora felt a little better every time, so she decided that she’d clean it up tomorrow. Of course, she didn’t dare touch Hope and Scott’s ant farm - that thing was considered sacred.

Aurora gave a quirk of a smile when Kailyn commented on the beauty of the Green Room. “This is Hope and Scott’s special room, but I come here a lot to get away and think,” she told the meta. She listened to what Kailyn had to say - her bullying story and her advice - before sighing.

“You know, I haven’t even told Peter this, but my brother was the stronger twin. Always was, before the experiments. I was the small twin and I almost didn’t make it. Which is why it never made sense to me why he was only gifted with the ability to control water molecules. It should’ve been him and I can’t help but think that it should’ve been me dying on that examination table,” Aurora fiddled with her hands when she felt the familiar sting of tears pooling in his eyes. “He was so protective, even when we were really young. And I just miss him so much.”

Aurora gave her a sad, but thankful smile. “Thank you for coming here to talk. I was just transitioning from the angry phase to the just plain sad phase,” she laughed a little, “I think we could help each other, but promise me one thing?” She looked over to Kailyn, “Try to change to using your powers for good? One of the things that I’ve learned here is that we’re one big team. A pretty messed up team, but a team nonetheless. And Bucky was right - I am afraid to get close to anyone - but that doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t try at some point.”

She knew that Peter wasn’t going to like her getting close to the meta, but Aurora didn’t care. Not after everything that had happened earlier.

They continued to talk for a little while and Aurora told her some good childhood memories that she had with Casen. Some were pretty funny, like the one time they managed to pull a “Home Alone” style prank on their foster parents at the time. They’d been moved to a different family soon after that, but the entertainment had been worth it and they hadn’t liked it there anyway.

——

When Aurora finally went back to her bedroom, she pretty much passed out as soon as her head hit the pillow. Her body and mind were completely exhausted, but it seemed that her mind couldn’t rest, even when her body was.

She didn’t see herself in the dream, but she knew that she was there. Casen was strapped down to a familiar examination table with tubes and monitors all around him.

Suddenly, he looked at her with wide eyes. His green eyes were just a bit more hazel than hers, with tints of light brown in the right lighting. “Rory, help me,” he croaked. Casen seemed almost too weak to talk and Aurora could tell by his expression that he was scared. She rarely ever saw him scared - he was always the strong one.

“Why didn’t you help me?” Casen continued. Aurora tried to speak, but it seemed that she didn’t have that ability in her dream state. Casen abruptly began to shake, seizing violently from something the doctor had injected.

“No...no! Casen, please!” she tried to scream, but her words were lost to the darkness of the room in her reality. A few seconds later, his movements stopped altogether and Casen’s head rolled to the side, his eyes unblinking and eerily blank.

Aurora woke with a start - sweating, crying, and breathing heavily. She hadn’t had nightmares in a while, but it seemed that all the dredged up emotions were making their way into her sleep now.

Kailyn considered the girls’ words in her mind as she walked throughout the facility. She knew she should head back to Steve’s room, but her mind was elsewhere as she wandered around the facility for in truth the first time. She looked out one of the many large windows and frowned, the outline of Peter was still clear on top of the training facility.

With a quick jump off the balcony, she landed on the first floor, making her way outside. She knew he could sense her coming from a mile away, so she made no attempt to conceal her loud footsteps as she walked towards the building. With another huge burst of air, she lifted herself off of the ground and onto the building, landing softly on the flat concrete edge. “As a child, I used to try to count all of the stars in the galaxy before I went to bed. I made it to one thousand once. Thought I had seen it all.”

Peter huffed, stretching his back out before he rose to his feet, turning to face the woman. “As someone who has been in space, I can assure you that you have not seen it all.” He replied, running a hand through his hair as he tried to think of what to say to the girl who he had openly tortured just hours ago.

“The point was never to see it all. It was to try to see what was left unseen.” She whispered, her eyes connecting with the man. “I fear a lot of things. Death, hornets, getting food poisoning from the coffee shop on third st, but what I don’t fear is the unknown. As a wise man once said, we-”

“Create our own demons,” Peter replied, a small smile coming to his face. “And we may never rest as long as we create our own end. A poetic end brought upon ourselves by the monsters within our head.” He nodded, reflecting back on the words of the man he once looked up to.

“I know you loved him, we all did,” Kailyn whispered, her eyes trying to find something, anything, in his. “But you can’t cope by trying to become him. You aren’t Stark, and you never will be him. You will never live up to his legacy, that’s why he trusted you to create your own. Stop living in the fantasy world you created, it will come crashing down on you and you know it. Stop trying to become the new Tony Stark. Become the Peter Parker he wanted you to be.” Kailyn’s voice died out as she shook her head. “Or just sit up here lonely and depressed for the rest of the night. You know best.” She smirked before jumping off the edge of the building and heading back inside.

Kailyn made her way back to Steve’s room, pausing before she knocked. She went to knock on the door when it opened for her, taking her by surprise. She walked in, a small smile on her face. “You know, I may just crash here for the night. I don’t like to be alone.” She said, going to the sofa where he sat. She curled up next to him, taking in that pine and cottonwood scent of his, her head resting comfortably on his side as she watched the mindnumbing television scroll by on the tv. “You like this shit?” She asked, genuinely confused.

She talked with him for a while before she slowly fell asleep, her head now resting on his leg. Whenever he moved her to the bed she couldn’t tell, as long as his scent enveloped her she was happy.

---

Peter sighed as he watched the woman walk off into the distance. She was, regrettably, right. He had spent the past five years trying to become this replacement for Tony, and had lost himself along the way. How he would ever find himself now he had no idea, but the one thing he did know was that he owed an apology to everyone, and in particular, Aurora.

The man jumped from his pouting spot, leaving it in the distance as he made his way back to the facility. He walked through the halls with a determined force, not about to be deterred by anything he may come across. As he neared closer to Aurora’s quarters he paused, he could hear the slight whimpering coming from the room. He was about to knock when he heard a sudden gasp, his worry taking him over.

Peter opened the door, coming in and looking around the empty room for any sign of a threat, his defensive posture relaxing when he saw it was just Aurora. The troubled look on his face that soon followed did not relax. The girl was seemingly in distress, over a dream or something he couldn’t quite place, the tears that had stained her cheeks deepened the mans frown. “Are you alright?” He asked, his voice coming off in more of a whispered tone.

He made his way to her bed, sitting on the edge of it as he studied her. “I apologize for earlier, and I am sorry if my actions have caused you any harm. It appears that in my moment of desperation with trying not to get burned, I managed to burn everything else in my path.” He grimaced, his eyes trying to tell the story his mouth couldn’t. “I will make sure to keep you out of harm’s way in the future, this will not happen again.” He said, searching Aurora’s face to make sure she was alright.

Peter straightened out his jacket, his jaw set as he mulled over different things to say, but none of them seemed appropriate in the time. “I won’t ask for forgiveness, as I am not sure I truly deserve it. For now, just promise me you will do your best to stay out of harms way. Don’t get overinvolved with fighting until you’re ready. Don’t try to get involved with the meta-” His voice faded out as he saw the girls expression change, but instead of being quick to anger he took another approach. “Just be careful. Okay?” He whispered, dismissing the thoughts of the metahuman from his mind. He would make sure to keep the two apart if it killed him. As long as she didn’t burn his flower, there was nothing for him to fear.

The man stood, gingerly planting a kiss on Aurora’s forehead before he turned away, running a hand through his hair as he headed towards the door. “Training tomorrow has been pushed off to the afternoon, get some rest.” He said, before making his way out.

----

Kailyn woke up the next morning to the sun shining into the room, a groan escaping her as she rubbed her eyes awake. She softly got up and tiptoed over to the dresser, grabbing one of Steve’s old army sweatshirts and a pair of her shorts before she went into the bathroom. At some point Steve at brought her clothes over, but when he had she couldn’t truly know. She changed and brushed her teeth, shaking off the energetic feeling rolling through her body. It was only 8 am, most of the crew didn’t wake up until at least nine, if not ten on days they didn’t have training.

The meta put her dirty clothes in the hamper and slipped out of the room, running towards Aurora’s room as quickly and quietly as she could. Before her fist hit the door twice it flew open, her grin wide as her eyes landed on the woman. “You ready?” She whispered, trying not to wake the others up.

Kailyn walked with Aurora out of the dorm areas, launching herself off of the balcony as she usually did. When Aurora finally caught up she dragged her to the kitchen, grabbing an apple for herself and then throwing one at the woman. “Hurry up!” The meta begged, sprinting out of the kitchen to outside, ready to take in the day’s elements. To her shock, the training building had already been repaired. “They really don’t waste their time here do they?” She mused, throwing a look over her shoulder to Aurora who was still walking out of the facility.

The girl went into the training center and placed her hand on the control panel, eager to set up a room for the two to work in. To her shock and annoyance, the panel flashed a bright red, alerting that she was not granted access. “What an asshole.” Kailyn muttered, spinning around to see that Aurora had finally joined her. “Give me your hand.” She said, grabbing the girl before she had time to respond and planted her hand on the panel, cursing when it flashed a bright green.

By the time Aurora was done eating her apple Kailyn had finished programming the room, it had different objects around for both Aurora and Kailyn to move and bend, and it was big and open so they didn’t have to worry about ramming into each other. The girl went into the room, the forcefield surrounding it humming gently as she picked up a small bowling ball in her hands. The ball rose out of her hands, floating between them as she looked at Aurora. “You ready?” she asked, a small grin crossing her face. This was going to be fun.

Aurora wasn't a morning person at all, but she was already up and almost completely dressed when Kailyn knocked on her bedroom door. She opened the door with a flick of her wrist before reaching for the workout top she'd laid out on the bed. "Yeah, just let me put my shoes on," she responded to Kailyn. Aurora slipped on the long sleeve top over her sports bra and quickly slid her tennis shoes on.

Of course, Kailyn took her usual route over the balcony, which made her jokingly roll her eyes. Despite the fact that the meta was obviously highly excited about their morning training, Aurora needed a little more time to adjust to the morning. Pretty much everyone in the building knew that about her, so they never pushed her early in the morning. Peter probably received the brunt of her morning sarcasm, only because he was usually the one to train with her first thing. Plus, she wasn't in the best mood, having not slept very well the night before. Her mind had been too busy running through thoughts after her nightmare that she hadn't really been able to fall back asleep. Most of them were thoughts of her brother and the things that Bucky had said, but there were some thoughts of Peter mixed in there. Mixed signals and frustration, confusion, and something else that she couldn't quite place yet.

When he'd come into her room last night, she hadn't been expecting him to show up, but even she couldn't deny that her mind was relieved to see him. Aurora had wanted to reach out to him, but she'd remembered what had happened and she didn't want to get anymore mixed signals from him. She could tell that he felt bad, but she'd stayed silent, aside from letting him know that she was alright after the nightmare had awoke her from a dead sleep.

Kailyn tossed her an apple when they passed through the kitchen and, before she could even give her a "thank you", the meta was heading out of the building and in the direction of the training center. She shook her head and followed at a slower, walking pace until they were both standing in front of the keypad that was lighting up red with Kailyn's palm scan.

"He's not as much of an asshole as you think, you know. He just really doesn't like you," Aurora laughed a little, almost dropping her apple when Kailyn grabbed her hand. She'd never accessed the training room alone, so she was a bit surprised to see that she had access to it. "Wow, I actually didn't really expect that to work," she muttered, watching Kailyn begin to set the room up for them. Once everything was set up and she'd finished her light breakfast, Aurora walked over to the center of the room to face the meta.

"I'm already a bit frustrated this morning. Carry over from last night," she said, clarifying a bit, "So yeah, I'm ready." Aurora shifted her weight, giving herself a defensive stance just in case her abilities weren't up to par for whatever Kailyn had planned. As the bowling ball was sent hurtling toward her, she stopped it just before it would have collided with her shoulder. She focused her energy for a moment, honing in on the frustration and confusion that was currently plaguing her. She really wanted to take away whatever these feelings were, but at least they were useful for something.

"Tell me, what the hell does a kiss on the forehead mean anyway?" Aurora asked, before sending the bowling ball back toward Kailyn. She'd never had anyone to talk to about these types of things and Kailyn seemed like a less biased person compared to Hope. Besides, it didn't take a genius to figure out that something was going on between her and Steve. The stoic solider didn't look at just anyone the way he looked at Kailyn.

"I mean, what am I even supposed to think? What am I supposed to do with that?" she continued to vent. The force field rippled as energy radiated off of her, so she took a deep breath to calm herself. "I can't say anything, though. That would be weird, right? I mean, I might as well be like a little sister, which is frustrating as hell."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back