• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Sky Beneath Us {Detailed Sci-Fantasy}

Stickdom

I’m a fixer. I fix broken things. It’s what I do.
Note: This Roleplay is marked Detailed since it will be extremely lore heavy and require players to have some acute attention to detail as far as established lore. This is a setting which I am creating for a fantasy novel series I am writing, so there will be some vetting required to join this RP, consisting of a writing sample approval and possibly a character concept being approved if there are aspects which could be questionable as far as fitting into the setting. This is a form of quality control to ensure that the RP does not die out due to a few players losing interest or abandoning the story unexpectedly, I don't demand daily replies, but some consistent participation will be expected or you will be permanently removed and the story will be continued without your character.

This thread is for gathering interest, and also acts as an AMA (Ask Me Anything) relating to the setting, so feel free to ask any questions you may have, as some of the setting may be unintentionally vague to potential players and I want to clear up any confusion before it start as well as give players a clear picture of what they are signing up for.

This roleplay is placed in a setting not unlike many fantasy realms, large kingdoms in conflict and magical forces to control. But the key difference lies in the science that modern reality understands, but their world does not. A world where the skies and stars are just as magical as they once were on our own Earth centuries ago, constellations and unexplained anomalies generated myths and legends.

Supernova-remnant-to-reveal-mysteries-of-Circinus-X-1-X-ray-binary-system-650x365.jpg
This planet is magical, yes, but not exclusive to itself in the universe. It orbits twin suns, binary stars, and one of which turns into a black hole, drawing the orbiting planets closer and eating them one by one. This planet is the next in line, having watched all the other heavenly bodies be drawn in and disappear one by one. By the span of time that has passed, it is estimated that your planet has about a thousand years left before it is destroyed as well, but how long it will be able to sustain your lives, you do not know. Worse, the planet's rotation has synced to its orbit, one half always facing the center of this destructive spiral, cursing it with eternal daylight which scorches most of the ground that is not magically cultivated, while the other half lies in frozen night forever, a wasteland of darkness where nothing grows and nightmares live. And as this planet drifts steadily closer to the center, the land facing towards the suns begins to break away, the pull of the black hole slowly lifting masses into the sky above, leaving chasms in the planet as once solid countries are broken into floating islands. The civilizations are entirely uprooted, warring nations of various races claim the last few clusters of hospitable land both on the ground and hovering in the air, chaining them together with massive bridges of iron to keep them from drifting into space and traveling by magic or in airships converted from old vessels, since oceans and most bodies of water large enough for any type of watercraft are nonexistent in a world where masses of land just float like balloons.

53ce1296633c230c85c25a4d99522823.png
Imagine folk tales of the twin deities in the sky, watching and protecting the worlds that they gave their warmth. Imagine the horror of the ancient peoples who witnessed one of the heavenly lights turn dark, stealing the essence from its brother. Imagine trembling in fear as the twins drew your world closer, one devouring the celestial bodies that came near, the other blazing with fury at the betrayal that scorched your lands. Imagine as the foundations of your cities tore rifts in the land, and nations rose to the sky as if to greet their approaching destruction. Imagine the remnants of the globe you left behind turning cold and dark as the light left it forever, home to terrors and the prison of banished exiles. Imagine as the societies once lost begin to emerge again, nations form, islands trade, and life continues as certain demise looms ever closer each year. And now, imagine the world as it is, the islands in the sky hold fast to each other, airships carry travelers and cargo to and fro, barren rocks are magically preserved as gardens for food, and many accept that the life they lead will forever be this way, accepting of their eventual fate a millennia from now.

So, that's the setting, but what about the story the players would be involved in? That's the thing, there isn't one... there are many. A concept I've tried before with varying degrees of success, having one universe and multiple stories branching off of it. One could be focused on the crew of a merchant airship delivering goods and supplies from one island to the next, another story could be centered around conflict between two floating cities or a sky-country above a ground-level nation, while another could involve an expedition into the frozen side of the planet after rumours of treasure and glory and danger. There are numerous possibilities, and I'll be opening them up one by one as players show interest. The range of characters is enormous, I'll be establishing some specifics types that are common in the setting, like clans of mages along with how magic their functions, what sciences a character can explore to create magical technology, or various races that have cultures and unique aspects exclusive to them. I'm always open to additions being suggested, though since this is a world which I am also writing a fantasy series from, do not be disheartened if I reject a certain idea for a reason, because there will be one if I cannot think of a way to integrate it seamlessly into the established setting.

So, at first it will be smaller stories linked to one storyline, they will all share the OOC and Character Creation pages, and you can reuse a character for multiple stories if you wish, or join several stories at once with different characters for each. I'm simply creating a universe and inviting players to join in, I'll be adding content continually, more information and cultures and locations, as well as leaving players free to suggest ideas for stories they want to have made, and possibly even letting players start stories of their own to host for fellow players who want to explore the world on their own terms.

Last edited:
I'm definitely behind anything that involves airships! I'll keep tabs on this and see how much interest it gets, but I'm in!
Glad to have you! We'll have to see how much this draws attention, I may have a few others I invite to jumpstart this a bit, so it won't be too long before things really get going, I hope :) I'm already writing up the majority of the lore that players will need to know to get started, and any details that accidentally get left out by mistake will be added in as we think of them XD

I too am interested! If all goes well in terms of interest, I'll be there.

Great to have you also :D

I'm also gonna open this thread up to AMA (Ask Me Anything) questions related to the RP, I feel like it might be slightly confusing to others who don't have the whole world in mind like I do, so feel free to ask away if you want to know more about what you can expect once this is ready to go :)

This has certainly caught my interest. However, I was wondering if there could be a plotline where the characters try to fight fate and prevent the world from ending, because I crave heroism right now. Probably with help from a legendary artifact, divine being, or other ridiculously overpowered whatever, since doing it by force would a) be nigh impossible, and b) have disastrous effects even if if succeeded.

Hallo. I love the depth of detail you have here.
Thank you! I certainly try to have some depth to my RPs. I love exploring the hidden aspects of a fantasy world, even one I created can still surprise me, and that's the best kind of story XD

This has certainly caught my interest. However, I was wondering if there could be a plotline where the characters try to fight fate and prevent the world from ending, because I crave heroism right now. Probably with help from a legendary artifact, divine being, or other ridiculously overpowered whatever, since doing it by force would a) be nigh impossible, and b) have disastrous effects even if if succeeded.
There will certainly be many possibilities for plotlines that try to prevent the world from ending, though whether we follow any of them is up to the players and their interests. Even in other plotlines, there's nothing stopping a character from having the motive and goal to save their planet in one way or another, from magic to technology to superstition, it's only the most pressing issue to every sentient being in their history XD But as for success, that entirely depends on how it is gone about, whether it's through artifacts or deities or even just pure creative stubbornness to live, though I will say that there will be hefty prices to pay just to make progress towards that goal, let alone completely accomplish such an enormous feat/miracle. Not every price paid will be in sacrificial, so don't become so set on becoming a suicidal savior to save the world that you kill off a perfectly good character for no reason. Mostly, there will be a lot of hard effort, lengths of dedicated time, and a fair amount of pain involved, but the stories I tell will reward creativity and courage over sheer brute force and powerful abilities in most cases, though sometimes a little muscle or skill with magic can help along the way :)

Last edited:
*Peek in*

I want to join, but my grammar is a big chunk of mess.

*Back away*

No worries! While having good grammar is appreciated, I understand that some writers simply understand the language better than others. You won't be denied if your writing is less than perfect, just as long as it's understandable to the other players. The reason I have approval based on a writing sample is really based on level of detail, I'll also accept you based on a quick look at your previous posts in other RPs, I simply don't want to fill the rosters with players who aren't capable of more than one-liners and *walk up to the bar and order a drink* XD You should be fine if you are interested in joining, the more the merrier :)

Alright folks, I've been out of town all weekend, just got back this morning. I'd say we have enough interest to get a good story going, I'll start working on the official threads for the RP. How about everyone pitch in some ideas or concepts you want to see for our first story, do we wanna go into politics or combat or exploration? What kind of story are you guys all looking for right off the bat? I'll take all the ideas that everyone throws out there and figure out a way to mesh them together, so don't feel like you all have to have the same interests, I can work around multiple directions at once :3

Stickdom Stickdom
I am definitely interested in this roleplay :3

As for your query, I'm particularly intrigued by the idea of being 'on the crew of a merchant airship delivering goods and supplies from one island to the next'. However, it doesn't sound very eventful. If an idea like this was one of the small stories, what would it entail?

Stickdom Stickdom
I am definitely interested in this roleplay :3

As for your query, I'm particularly intrigued by the idea of being 'on the crew of a merchant airship delivering goods and supplies from one island to the next'. However, it doesn't sound very eventful. If an idea like this was one of the small stories, what would it entail?

Thanks for your interest, glad to have you :D

As for the merchant ship idea, it may sound boring and cliche at first, but consider the fact that the world itself is in utter chaos right now and there will constantly be something happening regardless of how "easy" it seems. A merchant ship is actually one of the most eventful, because you have to deal with the hostile environment, maintaining a group working together towards a single goal, raids and attacks by pirates and monsters, as well as character's personal motives and goals. There will be disputes among the crew, choices about what cargo would bring the most profit or bring in attention both good and bad, navigation and exploration. It's essentially a ship roleplay in a fantasy world in a sci-fi universe, which is pretty dang complicated and interesting in itself, if you think about it XD

Thanks for your interest, glad to have you :D

As for the merchant ship idea, it may sound boring and cliche at first, but consider the fact that the world itself is in utter chaos right now and there will constantly be something happening regardless of how "easy" it seems. A merchant ship is actually one of the most eventful, because you have to deal with the hostile environment, maintaining a group working together towards a single goal, raids and attacks by pirates and monsters, as well as character's personal motives and goals. There will be disputes among the crew, choices about what cargo would bring the most profit or bring in attention both good and bad, navigation and exploration. It's essentially a ship roleplay in a fantasy world in a sci-fi universe, which is pretty dang complicated and interesting in itself, if you think about it XD
Wow, lovely explanation. The only thing I could really think of was pirate raids, you've seriously inspired me now xD
I would love to suggest this idea then! ^^

This looks very interesting to me, and I like your view on RP, I think it's what I'm looking for. I worry I may be way out of my depth here, (see my introduction post for slightly more detail https://www.rpnation.com/threads/im-nervous.330689/) but I'm willing to provide a writing sample if given some details to work with. I think I can manage more than one line replies, but multiple paragraphs may be beyond me. If you'd rather not have me on board, that's fine, I'll totally understand.

Last edited:
I can see you weren't joking when you said "detailed". It's definitely got my attention, though it's been a while since I've written anything at all, so I can only hope I'm up to scratch.

I guess that's what the sample's for, yeah?

This looks very interesting to me, and I like your view on RP, I think it's what I'm looking for. I worry I may be way out of my depth here, (see my introduction post for slightly more detail https://www.rpnation.com/threads/im-nervous.330689/) but I'm willing to provide a writing sample if given some details to work with. I think I can manage more than one line replies, but multiple paragraphs may be beyond me. If you'd rather not have me on board, that's fine, I'll totally understand.

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Don't worry about being out of your depth, when I say I'm looking for "Detailed", I'm really only looking for someone to take the effort to write a paragraph or two and keeping up with the world's lore, since I like my players to be able to join the environment as it unfolds around them. If you think you can do a little reading of the lore when the times comes and write up a post that's more than a few lines, we'd love to have you join us, the only way to get experience RPing is to do it, new writers gotta start somewhere and we'd be glad to have you start here :)

I can see you weren't joking when you said "detailed". It's definitely got my attention, though it's been a while since I've written anything at all, so I can only hope I'm up to scratch.

I guess that's what the sample's for, yeah?
Pretty much, I just want a little tidbit to see your writing style and make sure it's up to par with the story. I've had a lot of players join a complicated roleplay and then post the literary equivalent of a "k" text and then leave because 'it's too boring to keep up with the story.' Hence my requirements for a short sample and keeping up with the lore. I'm not a hardbutt meanie, I won't force the players to read every word of my possibly encyclopedic history for this world, and I'll answer questions without a hassle if players are confused or want information about a specific topic that's of interest to them or their character.

To everyone who has shown interest so far, I'm sorry I haven't been active or responded recently. I blame a combination of having to work nights (which is my usual shift, but it's still a factor), my internet service going down (it still is, I'm posting from my phone for now :( ), and recently buying NieR: Automata (goodbye social life, that game is amazing XD). I currently have the next few days and the weekend off from work, so my next task is to get my internet up and running and tearing myself away from 2B and 9S, and if I can get those squared away, I'll be expecting to post the threads sometime this weekend provided I can get them written. If not, I'll work on them piece by piece using my phone, much slower but steady progress.

I'll be starting us off with a "simple" story arc involving a merchant airship crew and their adventures, so if you have character ideas in mind, let them fly here so we can discuss them :3 Not just ship's crew are necessary either, we'll need mercenaries for protection, magechanics to tinker with the delicate magic ship parts, merchants traveling with their wares to sell and barter, explorers along for the adventure of the ride itself, and whatever else you can think of that might make for a good character aboard a traveling trading vessel. And humans aren't the only race available, so save some room for when I get the race descriptions posted so you can see if you want to adjust your character around one of them, they're your typical fantasy races but each one has some major twists to make them even more interesting. Pitch ideas left and right for all I care, I'll get back to each of them as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for stopping by! Don't worry about being out of your depth, when I say I'm looking for "Detailed", I'm really only looking for someone to take the effort to write a paragraph or two and keeping up with the world's lore, since I like my players to be able to join the environment as it unfolds around them. If you think you can do a little reading of the lore when the times comes and write up a post that's more than a few lines, we'd love to have you join us, the only way to get experience RPing is to do it, new writers gotta start somewhere and we'd be glad to have you start here :)
That all sounds doable, thanks. Having a lot to work with will probably help me out as I'm new to this, and I like trying to fit pieces together to make something.

I'll try and come up with a few rough character ideas, most likely ones I've had before, then see what we can do with them.

Last edited:
yes no matter what. i will read the whle thing later.

Interested! I'd love to ben tagged when the role-play goes up. I want to see how some craft their characters before saying 'I'm in'. :)

I would like to be a poor, desperate merchant who sells teddies.
She saved up to go on this airship because she thought she'd have better luck elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back