The Site Update Survival Guide

Meredith

of Fiendish Intent
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
[SIZE=34.6667px]A Guide to Surviving the Update[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Question[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Answer[/SIZE]

In this Guide, we address roleplays, social aspects, BBCode, known bugs, and all previously answered questions. This guide will be updated regularly. We also plan to add some things to the guide in the near future.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Items to add:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=14.6667px]List of Known Suggestions (and how to contribute)[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=14.6667px]List of Planned Implementations[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Hello everyone! We’re seeing a lot of the same questions over and over, and despite many things being addressed in announcements, the message just does not seem to be going through. So, consider this the semi-official guide to surviving the Big Update, courtesy of your lovely moderators.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=21.3333px]Roleplays[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]All my roleplays were deleted![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]No. No they were not. Every thread made it to the new site. The problem is, now that the tab system no longer exists, the related threads of each roleplay are scattered across the winds. You’ll have to scour your site activity and filter by topic in order to find roleplay threads that you created.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]My threads are missing posts![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]This is a genuine bug that we’ve seen in multiple threads. As near as the moderators can guess, some of the newest content of the site is still being indexed and may not show up for a few days. Only the admins can provide any further information.[/SIZE][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)] [/COLOR][SIZE= 14.6667px]Posting in the threads seems to make the post re-appear [/SIZE][SIZE= 14.6667px]within[/SIZE][SIZE= 14.6667px] a few minutes. If you're still having issues after trying this solution, make a support request.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]I need to move my 1x1 RP to the new system![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Nope! The new roleplay system is for group roleplays. At this point in time, 1x1 roleplays are normal, untabbed threads. Although you will need to rediscover the URL for your related threads, the 1x1 section is working as intended. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]I need to move my group RP to the new system![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Yes you do! Well, technically you don’t [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]have [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]to - we’re not intending to migrate old or inactive roleplays. We’re only migrating recent roleplays that users are sending in support tickets for. There’s nothing stopping you from completely remaking a roleplay and making new threads instead of asking the old ones to be migrated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]How do I move my group RP?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Well, first of all, you should check out this tutorial on how to create a new roleplay on the new site: [link]. Each new group roleplay will now be organized like a miniature forum - you could argue that EVERY group roleplay is a hosted project now! Therefore, in order to move your old roleplay, we need you to post a new RP in the new sections so that we have a mini-forum to move your threads to. Please include a link to the new location of your roleplay when you send in a support ticket.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]I put in a support ticket and no one responded.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Check your email. That’s where support replies go.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Why hasn’t my roleplay been moved yet?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Because everyone on staff is volunteer, and we’re migrating roleplays in our personal free time. When we’re not moving things for people, it’s because we’re doing something that’s more important to us IRL… like going to work, school, or bed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=21.3333px]Social[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]All my followers are gone![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]That was completely unforeseen, and we sincerely apologize. Had we known followers were going to be nuked, we would have warned everyone beforehand. Unfortunately, they are gone forever. Everyone will have to re-follow their friends.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Where’s all my content?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Go to to your profile. If you can’t find the “See My Activity” button, just add “content/” to the end of your profile URL. Most of your content will be missing from the list. It’s okay. It hasn’t been deleted, it’s just that the search index is incomplete. On the left side, there will be a menu where you can filter your seemingly nonexistent content by type, such as topics. Click this. Your content will show up. You can then sort your content by date or title or number of replies, and find your threads through there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Where can I adjust my settings?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Meredith went and updated the [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Welcome to RpNation[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] thread, and now all links are correct again. You can find links to bookmarks and settings there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]There’s no option to delete posts, only hide them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]It does the same thing. When users deleted their posts on the old site, all it did was “soft-delete”, which hid the post from the site at large. On the new site, hiding your post is the same as the old delete. Staff has always been able to view soft-deleted/hidden posts, and only admins will ever have the power to truly nuke a post.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=21.3333px]BBCode[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Is BBCode gone forever?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Yes. That was stated multiple times in various announcements and teaser threads, that this new forum software does not use or support traditional BBCode to style posts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Will the BBCode be broken forever?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]No. There’s a program floating around the back end that’s translating old BBCode into something the new site editor can actually comprehend. It’s going to take a while to fix all the posts, and some extremely heavily-coded posts will never look quite the same as they used to. However, most posts should be fine by the end.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]I want BBCode back.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Literally impossible.[/SIZE]

HTML???

HTML is currently available in a limited capacity (read: you can only modify things in your post, not the site) to members with more than 500 posts. To read more, click here .

But what about buttons?

The second part of the big code update will focus on editor buttons - it's taking longer than anticipated.

[SIZE=21.3333px]Known Bugs and Issues (Thanks, @IctoraPost !)[/SIZE]

Consistent

• Copy-pasting things results in styles also pasting

Backgrounds [1 | 2]
  • Widths [1]

[*]Notification not disappearing after popup is clicked [1]

[*]Tags do not change to match new usernames [1]

[*]Tables cannot be deleted [1]

[*]Blogs unable to be hidden [1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5]

[*]Tutorials unable to be edited [1]

[*]HTML <style> tags do not work unless there is something before them

• Side note: many people mistake the "<>" button in the editor for the actual HTML editor

[*]Typos

• Notification settings - "i" instead of "I" [1]
  • My Private Workshop - "BBcode" instead of "HTML" [1]

Common

• Auto-saving function not always working [1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5]
  • Post content duplicating [1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5]
  • Typing @ not always pulling up the tag list [1 | 2 | 3 | 4]

Temporary solution

[*]Status updates list on home page not appearing [1 | 2]

[*]Being unable to reply to posts [1Fixed

[*]Being unable to post status updates from the front page [1]

• Side note: users must enable status updates in their profile options to be able to post them (tutorial)

[*]Undo button / control-z results in more than the most recent change being undone [1]

[*]Profile picture upload problems

• Blurry / compressed [1 | 2 | 3]
  • Unable to upload [1]

[*]Theme glitches

• Default switches to Night Life / themes get locked to certain pages [1 | 2 | 3]
  • Themes mixing [1]
  • Color Me theme resetting [1 | 2]
  • Color Me colors change [1]

[*]Notifications not appearing [1 | 2 | 3 | 4]

Uncommon

• Topics duplicating [1]
  • Paintbrush tab closes immediately after being opened [1]
  • Error occuring when trying to post [1]
  • Notification dropdown stretched out [1]
  • Scrolling issues

Galleries [1]
  • Themes [1]

[*]Edits not always registering [1]

[*]Buttons in the editor (bold, italic, underline, etc.) not always working [1]

[*]Not being allowed to like a post [1]

[*]"Automatic" color changing to black when pasted in [1 | 2]

[*]Not getting browser notifications when on another tab [1]

[*]Blogs more glitchy than normal [1]

[*]Post jumbling when formatting is not removed [1]

[*]Website "glitches out" on iPad [1]

[*]Logs out between devices [1 | 2]

[*]@ Tag dropdown scrolls back to the top after a user is selected [1]

Bugs from before the update and shortly after it (MAY still be relevent)

• Certain codes can only be removed by using Ctrl+Z, which means undoing some other work too sometimes.

• Editing a post may cause it to post again.

• There have been issues with the undo function undoing a full post.

• Mentions do not work on the mobile site.

• Can’t copy/cut quotes with keyboard shortcuts.

• Same issues with tables/accordions/etc.

• Can’t delete quotes/accordions by right clicking on them - can use the keyboard.

• When pasting content, the default "Automatic" color changes to straight black, which makes it unreadable in Nyte Life. [x]

• In Nyte Lyfe, i.e. editing tabs, the font is white like the background and can't be seen. [x]

• Tabs and accordions do not register line breaks.

• Paragraph breaks did not carry over. This will not be fixed.

• Some recent posts are not displaying. Posting in the thread again will cause the missing posts to reappear.

• Typing @ does not always pull up the tag list. Give it a couple tries and don't type too fast. [x]

• On mobile the text editor does not always appear.

• On mobile the appearance editor for Color Me does not always appear.

• Occasionally when attempting to make a subforum in a roleplay there will be a permissions error. [x] This has been fixed!

• Typos in the forum descriptions for Creativity, Futuristic, and Dice. [x]  This has been fixed!

• Followers, bookmarks, and so on have reset themselves. This will not be fixed.

• The search function is not working. This is fixed!

• BBCode is broken. This shouldn't be a problem anymore.

• There is an error message when attempting to sort by topics you have posted in.

• Ctrl+A does not work when using certain buttons.

• Colour Me sometimes reverts back to default.

• Nyte Lyfe doublespacing lines.

• Some posts display unparsed HTML.

• Some users who have more than 250 posts don't have the button to make HPs. Make a support request so we can help.

• Default Member Role sometimes overrides Default Owner Role in Hosted Projects. 

You can report a bug by heading over to the Feedback forum in Site Questions and Information and creating a topic there. We appreciate your assistance!

[SIZE=21.3333px]Helpful Links[/SIZE]

Editing Permission Settings in your Roleplay

[SIZE=21.3333px]Answered Questions[/SIZE]

Where is?

Where are Interest Checks?

Interest Checks are now all in two forums, one for 1x1s and one for groups. Settings are integrated together. We have used this system in the past and it has worked well for us! You can find 1x1 Interest Checks here and Group Interest Checks here.

Where are my notifications?

Unfortunately, notifications that were lingering prior to the update were lost in the move. We encourage you to check your threads and roleplays and ask others to tag you where you are needed.

Where can I find my followed threads?

View attachment 157517

You can find your followed content from the drop-down menu under your username.

Where did tabs go on my 1x1?

Tabs support was halted on RPN by necessity and is no longer used. If you would like to link your threads together (i.e. OOC, IC, Character Sign-Up), simply edit links to those threads into the first post.

Where are my settings?

HERE is a guide to your settings.

Where are my post macros?

Macros will return in an update or two.

Where are my people I am following / followers?

Unfortunately, all followers were reset during the move in an unforeseen complication. Yes, you will have to re-follow people manually.

Where is my profile information?

Unfortunately, profile information was reset during the move. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Where is my signature?

Unfortunately, signatures were reset during the move. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Where is my roleplay?

Your roleplay is not gone! It is in the Old Roleplay System forum. The search function is down and will be for a couple days, so you will unfortunately have to dig for it manually. If you would like to move your roleplay to the new system, please follow the following instructions.

View attachment 157516

Where are level-of-detail prefixes?

Gone! Forever! MWAHAHAHA.

Where is the setting to hide my online status and/or recent activity?

Unfortunately we no longer have that setting. However, you now have the capability to login in anonymously, which achieves a similar effect.

Where is the dice roller?

Temporarily gone. We're working on it!

Where did my paragraph breaks go?

Unfortunately they didn't survive the update and will not be restored automatically.

Where are the posts missing from my thread?!

They're still there! Posting again will cause them to reappear.

How do I?

How do I turn off that noise that notifications make?

HERE is a guide to your settings.

How do I make a roleplay with this new system?

Well, gee! We made this handy-dandy amazing guide to help you out with that.  :smile1:

How do I view only status updates?

Go to the poster's profile, find a recent status update, and click "See all updates by <insert person's name here>". (Thanks @Birb!)

How do I delete things?

The delete option is still there, but now it is called "Hide." It performs the exact same function, though.

How do I move my roleplay to the new system?

Please follow the following instructions.

View attachment 157516

How do I remove the announcements at the top of every page?

You don't! We will remove them after a few days.

How do I hide my online status and/or recent activity?

Unfortunately we no longer have that setting. However, you now have the capability to login in anonymously, which achieves a similar effect.

How do I hide private information?

You can edit the information shown on your profile by editing your profile.

How can I move my 1x1s over to the new system?

1x1s do not use the new RP system; they work the same as ever, although we have removed tab support. If you would like to link your threads together (i.e. OOC, IC, Character Sign-Up), simply edit links to those threads into the first post.

How do I add tabs to my roleplays?

We have removed tab support. If you would like to link your threads together (i.e. OOC, IC, Character Sign-Up), simply edit links to those threads into the first post.

How can I fix my BBCode?

Not all codes are reparable and BBCode is no longer supported, but some can be fixed simply by going to edit the post, then saving with or without making changes.

How can I hide my warning history?

You can't. No plans to change that at this time! Fortunately, only you can see it.

How do I delete a forum in my roleplay?

You post a request in Admin Contact so an admin can remove it for you.

How do I delete image attachments?

Simply click the trash can icon that hovers over the image.

How do I post in my new forum in my RP?

It isn't special, it's the same as anywhere else. If you are having trouble, it may be that you have accidentally created a Category instead of a Discussion.

When will?

When will all the buttons be added?

In an update or two!

When will the dice roller return?

In the next update or two.

When will paragraph breaks be automatically restored?

They won't. Unfortunately, you must edit them in yourself.

Other

What happened to my likes/reputation?

The site is messing around with (ie, recounting) reputation right now. It'll go back up as it progresses/once it's done.

This guide will be updated as needed. Thanks to @welian and @Anomaly and @Meredith for their hard work on this tutorial!

Special thanks to @IctoraPost for updating our bug list. 

View full tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back