• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
He is interrupted when Merione comes to hand out mugs, quickly filled with coffee for those who'd like to take her up on the offer.
Rodrik thanked the would-be divorcée and took one of the mugs for himself. After what he'd heard, he wanted to recover from his bad night's sleep as soon as possible.

Aysik takes a few deep breaths as he thinks, then simply says, "Of course, sir. When do we leave?" You can sleep when you are dead, soldier! In the meantime, march on.
"From the sound of it, as soon as the horses are here." the dwarf quipped to the nobleman.

1. How much would you say we're allowed to know about fighting undead?
  2. Assuming we don't know a lot, are there any books on the subject in Jordenin's library that Rodrik can borrow?

He takes a deep breath, closes his eyes, then asks: "Questions?"
"Just one!" Dreamy raises her hand. Once acknowledged, she looks at the cauldron and then back to Lord Jordenin. "Before we go, did you want another mug, sir?"

Only after Lord Jordenin responds and she sees that everyone in the party who wants some has some does Dreamy take one of her own from Merione. Her excited and fatigue-weighted words string together rapidly as she takes in the joy of good coffee. "Mmmm! This is sooo gooood, just what I needed, where did you get these beans? Desna be praised! Thank you, my lord and Miss Merione too!" Dreamy gradually and gratefully drains the warm mug she's cradling with both hands. If there seems to be plenty, she refills her own traveling mug and iron pot (for where, she thinks, are they going to get coffee later? Not like the undead will be serving any. And if somehow they are, she imagines their coffee would be... stale. Very, very stale).

On could be called a whim... as her brain turns on with the coffee warring with the fatigue inside of her, Dreamy's gaze slowly turns and lifts toward a certain staring dwarf sitting quietly atop his steed. Casually and respectfully, extra mug in hand, Dreamy approaches Old Raulyn. Only great Desna, goddess of dreamers, knew what might come of this (maybe nothing at all), but still, Dreamy thinks it proper and, well, good to include the mysterious fellow. Besides, he had done no harm and should be included, right? Who liked being the odd-one-out at such get-togethers? No one Dreamy knows. Wish me luck, oh great Desna! She sends the prayer inside her mind heavenward.

"Uhm, hey master dwarf Raulyn sir?" come the stumbling words born of youth and uncertainty. Using her height and with an eager smile, the paladin lifts the warm mug up to what she hopes is easy reach for him. "Would you care for some coffee? It's fresh!" Dreamy figures even if he doesn't notice her, at least the attempt was made. In her ever-curious mind, she cannot help but wonder about him. His eyes stare ever-vacantly like a man lost in a daze. Constantly. Okay. There's that. But does that nose of his still work?

Because nothing beats the smell of fresh coffee in the morning!

"From the sound of it, as soon as the horses are here." the dwarf quipped to the nobleman.
"Pretty much." The lord nods, takes another sip - then adds: "The quarter of an hour, I reckon. Should be enough for Graham and Tillie to get the horses prepared, and enough time for you to get your things and grab a bite to eat from the kitchen. I'll ask Iris to fetch a potion or two, just in case. I don't wnat anyone to die in my service, you hear me? If the worst were to happen - your task would be to get everyone out alive, not to die a heroic death. "
"Just one!" Dreamy raises her hand. Once acknowledged, she looks at the cauldron and then back to Lord Jordenin. "Before we go, did you want another mug, sir?"

Only after Lord Jordenin responds and she sees that everyone in the party who wants some has some does Dreamy take one of her own from Merione. Her excited and fatigue-weighted words string together rapidly as she takes in the joy of good coffee. "Mmmm! This is sooo gooood, just what I needed, where did you get these beans? Desna be praised! Thank you, my lord and Miss Merione too!" Dreamy gradually and gratefully drains the warm mug she's cradling with both hands. If there seems to be plenty, she refills her own traveling mug and iron pot (for where, she thinks, are they going to get coffee later? Not like the undead will be serving any. And if somehow they are, she imagines their coffee would be... stale. Very, very stale).
"Most certainly, yes." Emptying his mug, Jordenin passes it over for another refill. "Keeps the bones warm, in nights like these. And the mind awake, too. May Abadar bless good old Fernon; broght these beans all the way from Pearl, and never once doubted that I'd take them all. Clever haggler." As the lord silently watches Dreamy wait, a smile shows on his lips - and it grows wider when she takes her share for the road, for there is plenty enough for that in the cauldron.

On could be called a whim... as her brain turns on with the coffee warring with the fatigue inside of her, Dreamy's gaze slowly turns and lifts toward a certain staring dwarf sitting quietly atop his steed. Casually and respectfully, extra mug in hand, Dreamy approaches Old Raulyn. Only great Desna, goddess of dreamers, knew what might come of this (maybe nothing at all), but still, Dreamy thinks it proper and, well, good to include the mysterious fellow. Besides, he had done no harm and should be included, right? Who liked being the odd-one-out at such get-togethers? No one Dreamy knows. Wish me luck, oh great Desna! She sends the prayer inside her mind heavenward.

"Uhm, hey master dwarf Raulyn sir?" come the stumbling words born of youth and uncertainty. Using her height and with an eager smile, the paladin lifts the warm mug up to what she hopes is easy reach for him. "Would you care for some coffee? It's fresh!" Dreamy figures even if he doesn't notice her, at least the attempt was made. In her ever-curious mind, she cannot help but wonder about him. His eyes stare ever-vacantly like a man lost in a daze. Constantly. Okay. There's that. But does that nose of his still work?

Because nothing beats the smell of fresh coffee in the morning!
So - at a table, you'd see me roll some dice, now. Is the result for Old Raulyn good or bad? Who knows...
As the paladin offers him a drink, the old dwarf... doesn't respond to that at all. And yet, words or smell (or both?) seem to have some sort of effect. Indeed, he turns slightly, towards Dreamy, but the eyes don't recognize her presence or the mug. Instead, they seem to search the distance, staring southeastwards towards the horizon. And the hand not holding the reins follows the texture of his leather belt until it finds the grip of a sharp throwing axe tucked behind it.

Amber is used to being able to travel light, so it will not take her long to get ready, even with as tired as she is. "I can be on the move in just a few minutes, m'lord. I just need to gather a few things." She wonders if she should bring up the strange dream that they all seemed to share, but doesn't know how to breech that subject without sounding crazy.

The lord nods as he hears those words, looks over to Amber to say something himself - and hesitates. She can't be certain what gave her pondering away - maybe the way she spoke, maybe the pause after she finished. What matters is that this well-familiar, inquisitive look appears on his face, the one that tells that he knows that something's amiss, but can't tell what, exactly. Instead of asking directly, however, he takes a guess - one that is off, but brings up another topic of possible concern. "It'll be fine, Amber. For everyone. Words will spread to the streets in time as well, I'm sure. If there is a way to reach out to your old friends, though, let Iris know and she will get it done." He is, of course, talking about Amber's old gang out there, possibly at risk when things go wrong.

"Heart - Nothin' At All (Official Video)"

As the paladin offers him a drink, the old dwarf... doesn't respond to that at all. And yet, words or smell (or both?) seem to have some sort of effect. Indeed, he turns slightly, towards Dreamy, but the eyes don't recognize her presence or the mug. Instead, they seem to search the distance, staring southeastwards towards the horizon. And the hand not holding the reins follows the texture of his leather belt until it finds the grip of a sharp throwing axe tucked behind it.
Dreamy watches Old Raulyn's every move though it is plain on her pretty face that she has no earthly idea what is going on behind those dwarven eyes of his. People like he and Yanna sure had this strange tendency to look off in one particular direction and just... go bye-bye for awhile! Well, Dreamy reasons, who is she to judge? Casually, she makes her way back to Lord Jordenin while carrying two mugs in her hand. She offers the extra mug to anyone who appears the slightest bit drowsy or thirsty.

"Most certainly, yes." Emptying his mug, Jordenin passes it over for another refill. "Keeps the bones warm, in nights like these. And the mind awake, too. May Abadar bless good old Fernon; broght these beans all the way from Pearl, and never once doubted that I'd take them all. Clever haggler." As the lord silently watches Dreamy wait, a smile shows on his lips - and it grows wider when she takes her share for the road, for there is plenty enough for that in the cauldron.
While they waited for their mounts to arrive, Dreamy couldn't help but want to make the most of what was left of their time together with Lord Jordenin. Only Desna knew when they would see this wonderful human guy again!

"Y'know, your lordship," she offers a curl of a smile to Lord Jordenin, "one of these days I'm going to get around to asking you about that hip injury of yours and if there's a single thing people like us might do to help you with it." Dreamy indicates the entire party, for each of them had their own tales, their own pasts, and their own ways of taking on challenges. Who was to say that one of them or their combined talents couldn't come to some solution to help Lord Jordenin with this blasted injury of his. It did Dreamy's mood no good to see him in pain and she was convinced she was far from alone in that feeling!

Pushing her bright blonde ponytail over her shoulder, Dreamy can't help but wistfully sigh. "Desna as my witness, sir, I'd haul myself all the way back offshore and back to the Twilight Reaches to ask my dad for some of his 'home remedies' if I thought it would bring you just a single day of peace." The paladin ponders, stares at the lord's injury, then looks back at the kindly man as she takes another drink of her coffee. "Come to think of it, the rest of the band have their own 'remedies' too. But those wouldn't do you a lick of good unless you had them here, now would they? Hmph!"

Inside her mind, Dreamy thinks while glancing with a touch of youthful impatience in the direction of the manor stable. "Where are these horses and will I make my 70th birthday before they get here?"

Before she can even offer her aid, Fijit is already faced with the distinct scent of coffee coming from the cauldron; not quite a breakfast in itself, but a gesture that keen, attentive minds might be needed, and not just a group of half-asleep helpers. The gnome's help is clearly appreciated by Merione: "Thank you, m'lady, praise the gods for your kindness. The thing's heavier than I thought, but the Lord said to make enough for all. I'll get out a few mugs right after." With that, she allows Fijit to get a hold of the handle, and help carry the pot over to the others. The gesture brings a smile to Jordenin's lips, and so does Dreamy's; the Lord is a man who finds joy in seeing other people's thoughtfulness for those around them. Still, the smile fades all too fast, replaced by an expression of pain. Wordlessly, he makes the last few steps until he can take a seat in the carriage, then sighs and closes his eyes for a moment. When they open once more, they are focused, and quickly wander to find all of you gathered nearby.
Only the comforting scent directly under her twitching nose keeps Fijit from replying, It isn't the gods helping, it's me! Her second thought is that perhaps that's a bit blasphemous, so it's just as well she didn't say it. Her third thought is, It's far too early for philosophy, so just get some coffee in your belly, silly gnome, and keep your mouth shut until you know what's going to come out of it before it does. Which she does. Just barely polite enough not to push for being the first one, she accepts a mug as soon as it's offered and steps aside so the others can get theirs.

"Pretty much." The lord nods, takes another sip - then adds: "The quarter of an hour, I reckon. Should be enough for Graham and Tillie to get the horses prepared, and enough time for you to get your things and grab a bite to eat from the kitchen. I'll ask Iris to fetch a potion or two, just in case. I don't wnat anyone to die in my service, you hear me? If the worst were to happen - your task would be to get everyone out alive, not to die a heroic death. "
Drinking hot coffee as fast as she could had prevented her being the first to ask how long they had to prepare. The answer isn't ideal, but it isn't terrible either. She weighs up breakfast against getting her alchemical work done, and comes to a conclusion she's reached before on similar occasions. Mentally wincing at the state her equipment would be in until she has a chance to clean it up properly, Fijit decides a second cup will have to do in lieu of food, at least until lunchtime.

"We'll be careful," she promises in response to Jordenin's injunction. It might sound surprising to the others, given the sounds and particularly smells that issue forth from her outdoor laboratory on a semi-frequent basis. Or maybe the fact that she's survived all of them implies a certain caution? It's not luck, of course. Relying on luck is for those who didn't plan ahead properly. Speaking of which...

Fijit takes her own refill and nods to Lord Jordenin. "And no wonder, it's good stuff! Back in about ten minutes." She scampers around the building to her lab. Not the inside one; she doesn't have time to clean it and the outdoor one will be fine after the next rainstorm, so she's not leaving any extra work for anyone. As she measures, mixes, pours, and bottles what she's likely to need for the day, her movements are swifter than usual, but just as sure -- these are things she's done dozens of times before. As long as she stays focused, she doesn't need to think about individual steps. And she does stay focused, unusually so. One might even think her oblivious to the outside world, for she responds to no external stimuli, only the work at hand. After capping each bottle, she takes a swig from the coffee mug before moving on to the next. At the end of her predicted time, the mug is empty and her flasks are filled. Her equipment is indeed a mess, but most of the mess she bundles into oiled cloths and loads into her pack for later cleaning. Only a few drips and new stains are left on the counter when she leaves it to rejoin the others.

Fijit is taking advantage of the "quick prep" rule to get her alchemical supplies for the day:
Extracts: Expeditious Retreat, Polypurpose Panacea
Bomb catalysts: 4
Mutagen: Constitution

"Y'know, your lordship," she offers a curl of a smile to Lord Jordenin, "one of these days I'm going to get around to asking you about that hip injury of yours and if there's a single thing people like us might do to help you with it." Dreamy indicates the entire party, for each of them had their own tales, their own pasts, and their own ways of taking on challenges. Who was to say that one of them or their combined talents couldn't come to some solution to help Lord Jordenin with this blasted injury of his. It did Dreamy's mood no good to see him in pain and she was convinced she was far from alone in that feeling!

Pushing her bright blonde ponytail over her shoulder, Dreamy can't help but wistfully sigh. "Desna as my witness, sir, I'd haul myself all the way back offshore and back to the Twilight Reaches to ask my dad for some of his 'home remedies' if I thought it would bring you just a single day of peace." The paladin ponders, stares at the lord's injury, then looks back at the kindly man as she takes another drink of her coffee. "Come to think of it, the rest of the band have their own 'remedies' too. But those wouldn't do you a lick of good unless you had them here, now would they? Hmph!"
"They would not." The lord's lips show a smile at the paladin's words. "Some wounds are meant to last, despite best efforts. And this one - it turned a reckless fool into a thoughtful cripple. And trust me, the world is better for it. The real loss that night was not my health - a promising ranger became a resentful lord, and a minor lord became a horrendous abomination. But none of that will keep people safe now - other than that this reckless fool learned a valuable lesson and planned ahead. Enough, he hopes, to let this be another day where nothing major happened."
Inside her mind, Dreamy thinks while glancing with a touch of youthful impatience in the direction of the manor stable. "Where are these horses and will I make my 70th birthday before they get here?"
As he says those last words, he points towards the stables, where Graham leads the first two horses - saddled and all - into the open. "A safe ride, you all. I hope you find nothing, but hope is an unreliable ally. Yanna and I will be on our way soon; make sure you will be on yours as well." He makes sure that he gets his mug filled another time, then winces as he makes a careless move. "If it calms your thoughts, Dreamy - there is a cure. But it is not yet time to even speak of it." At that, Yanna silently nods - and turns to get everything prepared for the trip.
Fijit takes her own refill and nods to Lord Jordenin. "And no wonder, it's good stuff! Back in about ten minutes." She scampers around the building to her lab. Not the inside one; she doesn't have time to clean it and the outdoor one will be fine after the next rainstorm, so she's not leaving any extra work for anyone. As she measures, mixes, pours, and bottles what she's likely to need for the day, her movements are swifter than usual, but just as sure -- these are things she's done dozens of times before. As long as she stays focused, she doesn't need to think about individual steps. And she does stay focused, unusually so. One might even think her oblivious to the outside world, for she responds to no external stimuli, only the work at hand. After capping each bottle, she takes a swig from the coffee mug before moving on to the next. At the end of her predicted time, the mug is empty and her flasks are filled. Her equipment is indeed a mess, but most of the mess she bundles into oiled cloths and loads into her pack for later cleaning. Only a few drips and new stains are left on the counter when she leaves it to rejoin the others.
Fijit has, of course, no trouble getting her preparations underway. Sure, it leaves a bundled mess for later; but at the very least, she will have access to everything she might need right now. The cost - having breakfast - is not paid in full; as she returns, Merione hands the alchemist a plate filled with a simple, but quickly devoured breakfast that should be enough to silence the hunger for a while. The others are treated in similar fashion, only that they have to enter the manor's kitchen themselves to get a hold of something to eat.

If Thomas decides to take ten minutes to prepare his spells, Merione will make sure he'll get a bite of his own as well; with the usual smile on her lips.

There is one more occurrence before everyone is prepared to leave - indeed, Old Raulyn breaks his trance, and - with a sudden urgency - leads his horse forward, towards Aysik. Without a word of warning, he presses a short throwing axe into the nobleman's grip, then says. "Make sure it sees blood." And with that, he turns his horse, leaving to get the twins from their hut without any reaction, whether there are questions, comments, or the like; from one moment of the next, he is a dwarf on a mission.

Shortly after, everyone is fed, there's a horse for everyone in the yard, and Lord Jordenin himself seems to be ready to leave with Iris at his side and Yanna on her own stead. The only thing to stop you from leaving would be anything that's still on your mind.

Sherwood Sherwood , make sure to write down Old Raulyn's throwing axe on your sheet (1d6 dmg; Critical x2; Range 10 ft.; Type S) - just a standard throwing axe for now, really.

Feel free to do more here if you'd like; Jordenin is still available. If you decide to leave, let me know in which formation/order you ride; most roads are wide enough for two riders to travel side by side, but no more.

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie jaydude jaydude Purr Purr

Thomas had politely declined the offered coffee. The first time he had tried some he found it to be bitter and far stronger than the tea he was used to. That and his bowels had griped something awful for hours afterward and his evening was riven with repeated visits to the garderobe. He prayed that the dunnymen had strong stomachs after his visitations.
He listened intently to the conversation around him and his normally cheery face went firmer at the mention of the Undead. Pharasma as my witness, when such poor souls must be pressed into service by vile hands, I shall not rest until they are returned to their rest in due respect.
He felt a wave of irritation wash over him, as he had not even a drop of holy water on him or in his room. Perhaps his time in Roots had lulled him into too deep a sense of security that he'd not felt the need to ensure he had a supply, and now he had neither the time nor the resources to create any. He inwardly cursed himself for his inefficiency.

Once Lord Jordenin had told them all he knew and tasked them with their duty, Thomas excused himself from the group and went to give due praise to Pharasma. Once in privacy, since there were few people who were comfortable observing the devotions to the Lady of Graves, he quietly intoned the words of the devotional, holding up the simple wooden disc, carved with a lazy spiral and painted with blue and white paint, as he spoke. As the words flowed from his mouth, his earlier annoyance at himself ebbed away to be replaced with an inner peace. If there existed any Undead that needed moving on from the mortal plane, he would simply have to use other methods to make it happen.

Once he was done, he gratefully took the simple fare Merione was offering and ate it swiftly, before rejoining the others and cautiously mounting the horse that awaited him. His father had ridden a horse, not in battle, but as a beast of travel. He, however, had had little opportunity to learn the skills necessary to comfortably sit and ride a horse. He had a feeling the horse comprehended his unease and it glanced back at him, flicking its ears. Whether that was a good sign that it would be merciful or a bad sign that he was due to be taken wherever the horse wanted to go was yet to be seen.

Silanon Silanon

Amber is a city girl, and not all that happy with the idea of going on a ride. It will result in her backside aching for days. At least it beats walking, I guess. She knows enough about how to ride that she won't fall off - at least she won't as long as the animal doesn't do anything crazy while she's on its back. Still, she looks at the animal chosen for her with a sigh, already mentally preparing her butt for the ache of the saddle.

She finally kicks herself into motion and climbs up into the seat and takes up the reins. "I'm all set. We're burning daylight here, so lets get moving."

Aysik takes the axe with a blink of surprise, then quickly recovers and nods. "Of course. I'll carry it with honor, good sir." He slips the axe onto his belt, adjusting the way it sits until it feels comfortable. Then, the strong warrior turns to look at the horse that has been selected for him, staring into the innocent-seeming eyes and knowing the truth. They are evil creatures, just trying their best to lull people into a false sense of security before turning to their true nature of being true monsters.

Just in case it was not clear, Aysik does not like horses. <snort> He seems to be one of the very few that know the truth of the hay burners, and he will not allow himself to be fooled like the rest of the population. Aysik does his best to hide his feelings, because he knows the fiend can smell his fear. He grumbles quietly to himself, murmuring to the horse, "Lets get one thing straight and cut to the point: I have no problem with the idea of turning you into dog food, so lets not play any games here. Just let me ride you, and everything will be fine."

The horse doesn't say anything, of course. It just stares at him with that seemingly blank stare that has suckered in so many others. But not him. He will not be fooled. It is a vast equine conspiracy against him, and he will not lower his guard today or any day, no matter how tired he was. With a clenched jaw, he levers himself up into the saddle, just waiting for the horse to pull some funny business.

Just in case it was not clear, Aysik does not like horses. <snort> He seems to be one of the very few that know the truth of the hay burners, and he will not allow himself to be fooled like the rest of the population. Aysik does his best to hide his feelings, because he knows the fiend can smell his fear. He grumbles quietly to himself, murmuring to the horse, "Lets get one thing straight and cut to the point: I have no problem with the idea of turning you into dog food, so lets not play any games here. Just let me ride you, and everything will be fine."
"Got something against equines, tough guy?" Rodrik remarked with a smirk as he trotted past Aysik on his own steed. Unlike certain people here, he wasn't going to complain. When you had short legs, you learned to appreciate having something else to walk for you.

"They would not." The lord's lips show a smile at the paladin's words. "Some wounds are meant to last, despite best efforts. And this one - it turned a reckless fool into a thoughtful cripple. And trust me, the world is better for it. The real loss that night was not my health - a promising ranger became a resentful lord, and a minor lord became a horrendous abomination. But none of that will keep people safe now - other than that this reckless fool learned a valuable lesson and planned ahead. Enough, he hopes, to let this be another day where nothing major happened."
That there appeared to be far, far more to this story than met the eye was clear to Desna's paladin. She nods in respect when she hears this and wonders in silence.

He makes sure that he gets his mug filled another time, then winces as he makes a careless move. "If it calms your thoughts, Dreamy - there is a cure. But it is not yet time to even speak of it."
"Oh, yooou dooon't saaay..." Dreamy slowly gets this girlish grin across her face as her eyes light up. "I'll be happy to store that little tidbit along with the others up here, my lord!" She taps her temple and gives a wink.

As he says those last words, he points towards the stables, where Graham leads the first two horses - saddled and all - into the open.
Dreamy waits patiently for the next number of horses to arrive. =)

"Oh, yooou dooon't saaay..." Dreamy slowly gets this girlish grin across her face as her eyes light up. "I'll be happy to store that little tidbit along with the others up here, my lord!" She taps her temple and gives a wink.
Lord Jordenin allows himself the hint of a smile - but says nothing more on the topic.
Dreamy waits patiently for the next number of horses to arrive. =)
There is no need to wait for too long; indeed, Graham now leads them out of the stables in rather quick succession, suggesting that he prepared everything within the wooden building and now simply needs to make them available to you.

Whichever horse that Graham shows to Dreamy is the one she takes. Being a creature of the Undersea and growing up around beasties that had far more fins than hooves, the Half-elf becomes enamored with the idea of getting to ride a "land-horse" again (as opposed to the sea horses she grew up with).

Immediately but carefully, Dreamy tries to let the equine get to know her. First, she stays to the horse's side (where the horse can easily see her, not straight ahead as you do with humans). Slowly she approaches making soft whispers and no sudden movements. To anyone with riding experience, it is probably clear that she has very little. The athletic paladin is probably following advice she's learned before and taking this approach for sake of her own nerves too.

"Omigosh! There you are!" she coos without being loud lest she chance startling the large animal. "I get to ride with you today? You're such a pretty horsie! Wait..." She turns to busy Graham long enough to ask, "uh... Boy or girl?" The words "stallion" and "mare" are not part of her vocabulary enough to have them quickly come to mind.

However Graham replies, Dreamy gently raises her hands and attempts to brush the horse's mane. If the horse is all right with this, she continues on with the cooing and the brushing and the excitement of being near a creature she feels she would have never seen had she chosen to remain in her birthplace. The Twilight Reaches hold many wonders, but they are all under the waves. She has felt this way just about every time she has mounted up here at Lord Jordenin's manor.

"Ooh, you're such a strong horsie, too! Just look at you! I bet all the other horsies are just jealous of you, aren't they?" These expressions of affection continue to come out and Dreamy just goes on and on, honestly thrilled to be close to another land-horse. She hasn't even mounted up yet, the stirrup empty by her side as she tries to "make friends" with the "horsie." =)

Of course, she no idea how Aysik the Warrior feels on the subject (for he gave no sign that she was aware of, so taken is she with her own mount). If perhaps she has been ensorcelled by the equine, who in Desna's name is to say she has not? For life is full of wonders to be enjoyed and appreciated if one just takes the time. =)

Last edited:
"Omigosh! There you are!" she coos without being loud lest she chance startling the large animal. "I get to ride with you today? You're such a pretty horsie! Wait..." She turns to busy Graham long enough to ask, "uh... Boy or girl?" The words "stallion" and "mare" are not part of her vocabulary enough to have them quickly come to mind.
"He. Purpose." The man shrugs, almost apologetically. "Tillie named him. Careful, he's too clever for his kind." Indeed, as Dreamy speaks to the dark-brown stallion, she gets the impression that every single word and gesture is noticed - and accepted without much unease on the horse's side.

Since he's at it already, Graham raises his voice slightly to address the others, and points out the horses, one by one.

"Spine is the only mare, actually." He points out Rodrik's ride, light brown and sturdy. "No worries, she knows how to keep the men at bay."

"Dune." A horse of the very same color, and Thomas' choice. "Her brother."

"Rust." He motions towards Amber's steed, colored such that there is no question where the name comes from. "Maybe the best one we have."

"Shade." He points out the one in a darker grey that's waiting for Fijit's approach. "Pretty calm, that one, no worries."

"And Breeze." He gives Aysik a longer look than the others. "Careful you hold him back every now and then. The others won't keep up if he decides to go off on his own."

With a clenched jaw, he levers himself up into the saddle, just waiting for the horse to pull some funny business.
There is no funny business in sight just yet - but as Aysik sits in the saddle, he can feel the horse restlessly shift and move underneath him, as if just waiting to storm off in who-knows-which direction.
He had a feeling the horse comprehended his unease and it glanced back at him, flicking its ears. Whether that was a good sign that it would be merciful or a bad sign that he was due to be taken wherever the horse wanted to go was yet to be seen.
After that one glance, it seems like Dune has figured it all out - nothing that the priest does seems to disturb the animal in the slightest.

Aysik glowers at his horse, but manages to stay in the saddle as the beast shifts around under him. He then looks over at Dreamy, feeling a measure of disgust as the half-elf oohs and aahs over her own animal. Dreamy is supposed to be smart; can't she see how tricky these beasts are? He shakes his head in disappointment. He hopes that the dear woman will never have to suffer at the hooves of the equines, but lets be realistic. It is going to happen, sooner or later.

Fijit has, of course, no trouble getting her preparations underway. Sure, it leaves a bundled mess for later; but at the very least, she will have access to everything she might need right now. The cost - having breakfast - is not paid in full; as she returns, Merione hands the alchemist a plate filled with a simple, but quickly devoured breakfast that should be enough to silence the hunger for a while.
Fijit accepts the plate with a grateful smile, possibly her first such expression this morning. "Ooh, I thought I'd have to miss out!" she says in between large bites (she does remember to keep her mouth closed while there's food in it, at least). "Many, many thanks!" She also grabs a last cup of coffee, if there's any left at this point, and rejoins the others in time to hear their mounts' names.

"Shade." He points out the one in a darker grey that's waiting for Fijit's approach. "Pretty calm, that one, no worries."
Funny how she always forgets how tall horses are until she has to get on one. Ponies don't seem half such a climb. But, well, they are in a hurry, after all, and a pony would slow them down. She slides her glance sideways to Rodrik, but the dwarf doesn't seem to be having any problems. Well, then, she won't either, Fijit decides. "Hi, Shade," she greets the horse as she clambers up, with more determination than skill. "I'm glad I got you," she adds, patting his neck. "One of the others might raise a fuss."

Fijit accepts the plate with a grateful smile, possibly her first such expression this morning. "Ooh, I thought I'd have to miss out!" she says in between large bites (she does remember to keep her mouth closed while there's food in it, at least). "Many, many thanks!" She also grabs a last cup of coffee, if there's any left at this point, and rejoins the others in time to hear their mounts' names.
There is half a cup left to be claimed - as others have made sure to claim their share, and more.
Funny how she always forgets how tall horses are until she has to get on one. Ponies don't seem half such a climb. But, well, they are in a hurry, after all, and a pony would slow them down. She slides her glance sideways to Rodrik, but the dwarf doesn't seem to be having any problems. Well, then, she won't either, Fijit decides. "Hi, Shade," she greets the horse as she clambers up, with more determination than skill. "I'm glad I got you," she adds, patting his neck. "One of the others might raise a fuss."
Shade snorts in response, and it sounds almost... amused? Like he's seen a great many not-so-experienced riders climb onto his back, into the saddle. The horse stays calm, then patiently awaits the journey's beginning.

And with everyone prepared to leave, there is really no reason to delay any further. Once more, Lord Jordenin addresses you. "Safe travels - we will meet again in a few days, I reckon. Send the Lord my regards." By the look of it, he himself will depart shortly - you can see Graham taking the front seat on the carriage, and Yanna positioning her own horse on its left side.

Still, you are the first ones to leave - across the yard, through the gate in the wooden palisade surrounding the mansion, and down the small hill towards the village itself. From what you can see, there is more movement there than usual for this time; it seems like the word has been spread already. You see a few men and women gather here and there, and someone carrying a torch - since there's enough light for it to be redundant by now, he's probably been on his feet for as while.

You do not pass through the village itself - instead, you turn to the right, where the winding path northwards mostly follows the river at first, ever-so-often leaveing its banks to pass through fields of not-yet ripe grains and the occasional patches of trees. There is no real risk of going astray - apart from a few trails leading towards the more secluded homesteads, there is no road than the one that will lead you to the northern bridge and Ian's Rest even further north. It's a quiet morning - a few birds chirp, you see a falcon circling, and occasional movements in the grass or fields - but for the most parts, it's just the six of you, the sounds of your horses - and the all-present burbling of the running river to your left. If anything changed this night, or even before - it left these areas very much untouched. It all feels so familiar, so normal - other than the fact that you're heading out in anticipation of possible danger.

Above you, the sky is colored in that clouded light-grey that promises neither rain, nor much sunshine for the next few hours; a soft breeze seems indecisive from where to blow. After about two hours in the saddle without anything of notice, Aysik's horse Breeze suddenly snorts, then drifts towards the left side of the path where the river flows - until the hooves splash water in all directions. Dreamy's Purpose, half a horse-length behind, follows suit as best as he can manage, though he stay on the left side of the actual road. Those further behind notice the sudden left shift, but no apparent reason for it.

Is there anything you'd like to do, or share? How do Aysik and Dreamy react, in particular?

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood Purr Purr Kaerri Kaerri jaydude jaydude Psychie Psychie

Aysik is already tense from being on the back of a horse, and when it suddenly shifts about, his attention goes from watching the horse to looking around for any sign of a threat that the animal might have sensed that he did not.

Earlier...

Kaerri Kaerri
There is half a cup left to be claimed - as others have made sure to claim their share, and more.
Once she has made introductions to Purpose, Dreamy finishes up her breakfast and gratefully hands over the dishes to wherever they go, cleaning them up as much as possible.
Dreamy holds up her pot to Fijit. "He, Fijit! Can I top you off?" Dreamy looks to the halfling's cup.

* * *​

Presently...
Is there anything you'd like to do, or share? How do Aysik and Dreamy react, in particular?

Dreamy does not guide Purpose into the river but instead she calls out to everyone, "Slow up. Eyes up." She slows Purpose from a trot down to a walk. She considers - did Aysik's mount discover something ahead of them and is trying to avoid it?

Dreamy doesn't know horses very well, but Sea Cats are different story! One had to watch every one of those wily, playful beasties lest they go off and do whatever they pleased! They were cats after all.

Aysik's horse could be acting like a sea cat here and testing the limits of its rider. Whatever the case, Dreamy trusts in Aysik and his military background for him to control his mount.

The Paladin begins to examine the scene before her very carefully, first with the senses of her body, then with the power given to her by Desna in her Sense Evil ability. If there is something dangerous ahead of them, be it natural or unnatural, Dreamy wants to know about it.

As Aysik looks around, he does what most soldiers do - scan the general area on search for signs of danger, be it people shapes, good hiding spots... apart from trees, grains and the river, there is nothing to be seen by his eyes, though. Other than his treacherous horse right underneath him, of course, but that's to be expected.

Dreamy, instead, looks more carefully ahead, or simply... lower than the noble. Indeed, on the right side of the path ahead, something can be seen on the ground, just a few more steps ahead. At first glance, you'd guess, it's some kind of dead animal, maybe the size of a large bird; hard to make out more than that from where she slowed down, as the grains' culms cover some of its body. There is some movement, though not much - you'd bet that what looked like a wing just shifted its position.

Desna's gifts reveal... a single, faint aura, tainted with the touch of evil, right where the paladin spots that movement, but nothing else.

Upon spotting that touch of evil, however faint or singular, Dreamy the happy-go-lucky adventurer suddenly vanishes replaced by Dreamy the Champion Desna; her facial expression becomes as serious as anyone here has ever seen it as she stares for one long moment at what appears to be the carcass of a great bird. Then just as quickly, Dreamy relaxes and brings Purpose to a halt while raising her hand up to signal to the party to do the same.

"Hey everybody! Let's play a game," she says sweetly as she reaches for her sling and a bullet. She loops the wrist cord about her wrist, places the bullet inside the sling pocket and begins twirling. On her other arm, her shield. She nods towards precisely where she saw the movement. Dreamy turns and looks at every person in the party with the wide open eyes of a person sensing trouble. Silently, she looks meaningfully at Rodrik's crossbow, then Rodrik. Then Aysik and his shortbow and so on. She glances back at the wing hoping not to give away the idea to whatever is hiding behind it that she is trying to get the party to fire with her at the evil she is sensing.

"See that wing? I bet we can't all land shots on it from here!"

Giving the party enough time to pull and arm any ranged weapons they don't already have out, Dreamy gives the party enough time to aim. Then she whirls her sling and says, "On three. One... two... three!" She looses her bullet at the source of hidden evil in the hopes that it will be immediately followed by other such projectiles from her fellowship!

Horseriding. For Thomas, the experience was disjointed. As a child, he had often been on horseback, usually sat between the rider and the pommel or, as he got older, perched behind them during his time following his father's mercenary company, the Silver Shields. The memory was cheering and melancholy at the same time. The recollection brought back thoughts of cheerful banter and conversations shared between cavalrymen and the less fortunate infantrymen who marched alongside them and it returned the feelings of loss, of his father and of the other mercenaries who had been a source of warmth and love in his early years.

So lost in that history, he barely noticed the change in direction his horse had taken as it started to follow those in the lead. Only when Dreamy's voice rang out, followed by her drawing, spinning up and loosing a bullet from her sling, did he return from his reverie and take conscious note of his surroundings. He looking in the direction she had pointed and in which she was firing, exerting both his eyes and ears to the task of determining the source of her behaviour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back