• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom The Second Rebellion - Skyrim Interest Check

@0stinato Okay, so I know I'm strange, but that sentence "Whiste yer noise, do the thing," made me grin... (x

Am I right to guess it's related to "Whisht" or "wheesht"?

@0stinato Okay, so I know I'm strange, but that sentence "Whiste yer noise, do the thing," made me grin... (x

Am I right to guess it's related to "Whisht" or "wheesht"?

Ooh aye, ye ken wha' ah'm sayin?

Either way realleh. I'm just no' the best when it comes ter spellin'.

Whisht or Wheesht, either way. But aye, i' tis wha' ah meant.

Ooh aye, ye ken wha' ah'm sayin?

Either way realleh. I'm just no' the best when it comes ter spellin'.

Whisht or Wheesht, either way. But aye, i' tis wha' ah meant.

I came very close to trying to respond in like manner, but I know I'd make a fool of myself. I'm able to read, but not speak or write. At least you didn't have to listen to my Southern self try to say it in the first place... (x

I am curious, though. You mentioned at the start that you were from England, but I've only ever seen the expression in Scots or Ulster-Scots. Is it common in dialects in England as well? That may also account for the spelling, because I do think it varies a bit according to the particular dialect. At least, I've seen a couple different variations... 

I came very close to trying to respond in like manner, but I know I'd make a fool of myself. I'm able to read, but not speak or write. At least you didn't have to listen to my Southern self try to say it in the first place... (x

I am curious, though. You mentioned at the start that you were from England, but I've only ever seen the expression in Scots or Ulster-Scots. Is it common in dialects in England as well? That may also account for the spelling, because I do think it varies a bit according to the particular dialect. At least, I've seen a couple different variations... 

Well, I'm half Scottish myself on my mum's side. And nay, it's definitely not said, at all, anywhere. I think you're right in that it's mainly spelled 'Wheesht' but, what can I say, I'm sure I remember an i being in there somewhere...

Either way, I'm familiar with the 'odd' Scottish-only vocabulary to an extent - if you've read Oor Wullie or The Broons you'll realise there's a lot of that kind of language in there. Lots of weird stuff. Like "ken" and "braw" and "blether" and all the rest. I suppose I just remember Wheesht from my days reading those comics. Pretty good way to say 'shut up' in my opinion.

Well, I'm half Scottish myself on my mum's side. And nay, it's definitely not said, at all, anywhere. I think you're right in that it's mainly spelled 'Wheesht' but, what can I say, I'm sure I remember an i being in there somewhere...

Either way, I'm familiar with the 'odd' Scottish-only vocabulary to an extent - if you've read Oor Wullie or The Broons you'll realise there's a lot of that kind of language in there. Lots of weird stuff. Like "ken" and "braw" and "blether" and all the rest. I suppose I just remember Wheesht from my days reading those comics. Pretty good way to say 'shut up' in my opinion.

Ahh, I see. So I guess that's another case of most of what I've come across being outdated. (Ahh, the fun of studying history...) I'd guess the most recent reading I've done would be from... I dunno, probably the 60's? Maybe something from the early 90's, but I'm pretty sure that was more of a political thing than actual language. I learned a bit of older Scots reading Burns, but of course, that's very old... Ahh, but I still love it...

Okay, so maybe you can help me figure this out... I've seen it as a single word or command, like a mother scolding her child, but also as a phrase, like "Hauld yer wheesht!". Apparently they both mean more or less the same thing, but the word itself seems to change. In the first, it sounds like a verb saying "be quiet". But, in the second, it sounds like a noun, with "wheesht" being noise and the command being to stop making noise. 

Ahh, I'm sorry, I'm sure you didn't mean to get into this long discussion over a single word... I'm a bit of a nerd, if you haven't noticed, and I love culture and language...

Ahh, I see. So I guess that's another case of most of what I've come across being outdated. (Ahh, the fun of studying history...) I'd guess the most recent reading I've done would be from... I dunno, probably the 60's? Maybe something from the early 90's, but I'm pretty sure that was more of a political thing than actual language. I learned a bit of older Scots reading Burns, but of course, that's very old... Ahh, but I still love it...

Okay, so maybe you can help me figure this out... I've seen it as a single word or command, like a mother scolding her child, but also as a phrase, like "Hauld yer wheesht!". Apparently they both mean more or less the same thing, but the word itself seems to change. In the first, it sounds like a verb saying "be quiet". But, in the second, it sounds like a noun, with "wheesht" being noise and the command being to stop making noise. 

Ahh, I'm sorry, I'm sure you didn't mean to get into this long discussion over a single word... I'm a bit of a nerd, if you haven't noticed, and I love culture and language...

Well, see it like this - words in any language can change dependant upon their use.

Take 'brought'. You can say "He brought with him a shotgun" or you can say "the aunt brought up her sister's child." Same word, sort of the same meaning, but also a different meaning. It'll be the same with wheesht.

"Wheesht!" meaning "Shut up", sort of similar to 'shh' I suppose. And "Hauld yer wheesht" being "hold your tongue" or the like. I think it's because 'wheesht' is more of a noise than a word. A noise that sounds like 'shh' or is used as an example of the noises you should stop making. If you understand what I mean.

So, while it's not changing massively, the word can have different meanings dependant upon how exactly it's used. But, when it boils doon to it, all words are connected in some way.

Hey, no worries. It's an interesting discussion. I was waiting eagerly each time to see what you had to say. And, to be honest, I thought you might enjoy the wheesht thing. But it just came to me as something Kumi might say... so I had him say it.

Well, see it like this - words in any language can change dependant upon their use.

Take 'brought'. You can say "He brought with him a shotgun" or you can say "the aunt brought up her sister's child." Same word, sort of the same meaning, but also a different meaning. It'll be the same with wheesht.

"Wheesht!" meaning "Shut up", sort of similar to 'shh' I suppose. And "Hauld yer wheesht" being "hold your tongue" or the like. I think it's because 'wheesht' is more of a noise than a word. A noise that sounds like 'shh' or is used as an example of the noises you should stop making. If you understand what I mean.

So, while it's not changing massively, the word can have different meanings dependant upon how exactly it's used. But, when it boils doon to it, all words are connected in some way.

Hey, no worries. It's an interesting discussion. I was waiting eagerly each time to see what you had to say. And, to be honest, I thought you might enjoy the wheesht thing. But it just came to me as something Kumi might say... so I had him say it.

Yeah, language is a really strange thing... Lots of fun, but very odd.

I suppose it may be a little bit like something I've heard my dad say that's more of a noise than an actual word. Apparently, my grandpa used to sometimes say something I can only describe as "saul-pied" whenever they arrived somewhere, and then my dad started to say it. I think it's meant to say something like "we're here", but it's not really a word and doesn't seem to actually mean anything.

Thanks. It was a little random for me to bring up, but I just thought it was interesting.

@0stinato It might be a little bit before I post. Probably gonna turn up tonight.

That's alright. I'm in no mood to roleplay at the moment at all. As in - at all. So don't worry. Besides, I don't think Gabriel bled himself yet.

There's no rush. And I'll warn you all now - I will not be rushing to post until I want to. I'm not abandoning the roleplay, and I might even post sooner than you might think but... just a warning. Don't come asking me why I've not posted. I will post. When I want to.

That's alright. I'm in no mood to roleplay at the moment at all. As in - at all. So don't worry. Besides, I don't think Gabriel bled himself yet.

There's no rush. And I'll warn you all now - I will not be rushing to post until I want to. I'm not abandoning the roleplay, and I might even post sooner than you might think but... just a warning. Don't come asking me why I've not posted. I will post. When I want to.

Of course, Nat, don't worry about it... Take all the time you need.

Of course, Nat, don't worry about it... Take all the time you need.

Y- you're calling me Nat? That was what I used to be called on the forum I used to roleplay on. Lord, that's something I didn't expect. I'm fine with being called Nat... I suppose I wasn't expecting it!

Y- you're calling me Nat? That was what I used to be called on the forum I used to roleplay on. Lord, that's something I didn't expect. I'm fine with being called Nat... I suppose I wasn't expecting it!

That's what you said you wanted to be called, back at the start. Either 0stinato or Nat, you said, and since I usually prefer some sort of name over usernames in conversation, so I used the latter...

That's what you said you wanted to be called, back at the start. Either 0stinato or Nat, you said, and since I usually prefer some sort of name over usernames in conversation, so I used the latter...

Ah, you're right, you're right. I remember.

Hah. Thought I'd gone back in time seven years.

Anyway - thanks for understanding. I do appreciate it.

@deadpool42 Hey there! So are you still wanting to introduce your character with Saor and/or Ologor in the Barrow? I'm afraid we're at a bit of a standstill at the moment because I'd like to give Morgathos a little more time to post (and our characters are in the middle of a conversation), but might could work something out if you'd like to go ahead and start. They're at Windhelm Stables/ en route to Ygnol Barrow or Kynesgrove (most likely the former, but it depends on Ologor) right now. Alternatively, I think everyone else is either in Candlehearth Hall or at Gabriel's house in the city.

I don't know what would be the best way to bring your character in at the moment, but we might can work something out. If I knew how Ologor was going to respond, I'd suggest doing a brief time-skip to Saor in the Barrow and meeting your character, then jumping back to the trip from Windhelm with Ologor when Morgathos comes back, but I don't want to make any assumptions about what his character is going to do. That might also get really confusing, even with timestamps.

If your character has a reason to be outside Windhelm Stables or on the road, I suppose the appearance of a strange hermit would be enough of a distraction to realistically put a break in the conversation, but I don't know why he would be outside a major city talking to a couple of random strangers.

-shrug- Any other ideas? Or would you prefer to wait until they reach the Barrow? 

I'M SO BOOOORED *rolls over again* Ehhhhhh nothing is happening recently! I'm losing my MIND

Oh, I'm sorry... Do you mean in the roleplay or in general? I think we're all in a bit of a slow spot at the moment as people deal with school and life and such... I'm kinda stuck for the time being as well...

What sort of things are you interested in? Maybe I can suggest something. (:

Oh, I'm sorry... Do you mean in the roleplay or in general? I think we're all in a bit of a slow spot at the moment as people deal with school and life and such... I'm kinda stuck for the time being as well...

What sort of things are you interested in? Maybe I can suggest something. (:

Though Wickedkent has a habit of taking a while to post honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back